Epilogue: Another Harvest

The Harvester

Epilogue

 

There is a knock on my door.

 

«Hello?» I say without looking up from my desk.

 

«Hello? Dahyun? Are you home?»

 

The door creaks open. I lift my gaze, seeing a woman standing in the doorway. The sun glows behind her, light slips into my house. The wind spirits on my desk coo, vibrating, making the inkwell and the paper jump and shake. The wind spirits have just returned from a journey to the riverbank, having collected pretty little rocks for me to exhibit in my window.

 

The woman’s dress is white and reaches just above her knees. Her hair is long and her smile gentle. She reminds me of spring, of the flowers blooming, the ice melting, and the sun warm on my skin. She reminds me of kisses in the rain, and the smell of grass growing.

 

Ah, that’s settled it, she’s a force of nature.

 

She slips into my home and places herself on my bed. She smiles at me, and something rattles inside my chest. I bite my lip, waiting, waiting, waiting.

 

«Nobody’s called me Dahyun in long time.» I say, then immediately feel silly.

 

The woman watches me, almost like she’s searching me, or something. It’s as if she’s prying me open, reaching into my chest, tearing open my ribcage, then inspecting my heart.

 

But then she tucks it all away, bit by bit, as if every piece of me is a treasure.

 

«What happened to you?» I ask, noticing the scars and bruises on her legs.

 

«Beasts.» She says simply and looks around. Then she reaches down and picks up one of the wind spirits, placing it in her lap. «You have a nice house, a lovely home.»

 

«Thank you.» I reply with a firm nod, feeling proud of this new place I’ve acquired for myself.

 

I lived somewhere else. I know that. But I’m here now, this forest is growing and thriving, the wind spirits are safe —that’s all that matters.

 

Someday, though, I’ll have to leave again.

 

«Dahyun.»

 

I look over at the woman again, noticing her gazing at me. She stands and walks over to my desk, towering over me. 

 

«How do you know my name?» I breathe.

 

«The Green Forest told me a very long time ago.»

 

She runs her hands through my hair and sighs, then leans down and presses a kiss to my forehead.

 

I shut my eyes, feeling the heat spreading through me, the sensation lights up my entire body. I reach out and hold her hands, keeping her here. My house. My home, perhaps she’ll stay?

 

There’s a look in her eyes, and I think that, perhaps, I’m not forgotten after all.

 

She asks to stay with me, tells me she knows me from before.

 

«Do you know what happens to me? When I have to leave, I don’t return.» I tell her, holding her hands in mine, then I give each of her hands a sweet and gentle peck.

 

«I know that. And I’ll go with you.»

 

«But I won’t come back.» I tell her.

 

«I know.»

 

And that is when I look up again, deep into her eyes where I see pools of mystery swirling —mysteries I’ll never solve.

 

She holds me tightly and I hope she never lets go.

 

I lean my head on her shoulder.

 

«It won’t be easy.» I tell her one last time.

 

Then she whispers:

 

«I know, Dahyun, I know that better than anyone else on this earth.»