Chapter 1/1

In Another Life

   Mark Tuan fixes his tie in the mirror.  The day of graduation comes and he needs to make sure he looks like a handsome young man, even though he's sure that he looks like one even in his casual pair of jeans.  He stops his movement once he sees a girl appear in his mirror. 

 

Ara Li, a Chinese girl who goes to a school that he goes to.  She's his age, and it looks like she's getting ready for her graduation too.  She pulled her dress down in front of him.  After one more second, they lock eyes.  She gets startled.

 

Who is Ara Li though?

 

Mark grew up seeing this girl in his mirror.  When he was little, his parents moved him into this house.  The five year-old boy was shocked when he saw the little girl.  He tried speaking to her, he even tried to throw things at the mirror.  Nothing would get her attention.

 

Is she ignoring me?  He wondered inwardly.  As the years passed, he would walk in on her applying makeup, or changing for what he assumes were dates.  He would avert his eyes.

 

It's not right.  He poked himself in the temple.  He would be at school and see the girl in the bathroom.  He saw other girls with her.  What's going on?  He wondered. 

 

Adolescence made their bodies change drastically.  When they were little, they looked like twins.  Then she looked like a mature woman, spinning in her uniform skirt as she danced to the latest boy groups.  TFBoys were still her favorite, even though he caught her listening to a little bit of WayV. 

 

He tried looking her up in the school directory, but he never came across an Ara Li that was her.  As if they lived two different worlds but in the same time period.  He saw her calendar, it marked the same day.  They were in the same time zone.  They had the same activities it seemed.

 

And with all of that, Mark realizes that the girl had been staring at him in shock for a minute now.  He smiles at her and gives a small, friendly wave.

 

She slowly removes her hands from her chest as she becomes calm.  Ara studied his features for a moment.  The man had black hair and a clean face.  His eyes were pretty, in her opinion.  "Wow.."  She gasped, looking up and down at the male in the suit.

 

She realized that the man was wearing her school's uniform.  She read his nameplate: Mark Tuan.  Has she heard of that name?  Yes, she has.  She heard of it when she was six years old.  He went to her school, but then he moved to South Korea with his parents.  It was a relatively sad day, but she put it behind her.  But here he is, she was sure it was the same boy.

 

He had that mole on his neck and three piercings on his ears.  She smiled back at him finally, waving as she stepped closer to the mirror.  Mark copied her, and hesitantly reached to the mirror.

 

Both of them gasped in shock as his hand went through the mirror.  "Ahh!"  Ara held . 

 

"It's okay."  He said, not knowing if she could hear him.

 

She blinked a couple times before walking up to him once more.  She reached to hold his hand - it was real.  His skin was so soft, and he could say the same about her.  She completely held his hand, lightly pulling him closer to her.  He was speechless as he went through the mirror.

 

"Wow.."  Mark held his body before looking at the mirror.  He then looked back at the short girl.  "I uh.. Hello."  He bowed.

 

She returned the bow.  "Who.. Who are you?"  She asked.

 

"I'm Mark Tuan."  He introduced himself.  "And yourself?"  He asked.

 

"Ara Li."  She returned.  "I.. What just happened?"  She asked.

 

Mark held his neck.  "I'm.. Not too sure, actually."  He blushed with a chuckle.  "We go to the same school though."  He commented.

 

She nodded.  "I see that.."  She looked around him.  "Here, have a seat."  She insisted.

 

He sat down across from her, not believing that he can finally talk to the girl he's seen all of his life.  "So.."  They both said at the same time.  "You first."  They spoke.

 

Ara giggled and Mark blushed.  "Are you graduating too?"  She asked.

 

"Yeah, I'm getting ready for my ceremony now."  He said, showing off his hair.  "You look really pretty."  He commented.

 

"Oh?  So suddenly?"  Her cheeks grew pink.

 

Mark nervously picked under his nails.  "Actually.. I've wanted to tell you for a long time."  He said.  "I've seen you in my mirrors a lot, and any outfit you put on.. Any dances you do.. You just look so pretty."  He smiled.

 

Ara scratched her head.  "So.. You've seen me for years?"  She asked cautiously.

 

"I have, and I don't know why."  He answered.  "I'm going to guess that you have never seen my face at all."  He chucked.

 

"I have."  She corrected.  "But it was years ago.  You got kicked out of school for your piercings, I think.  Oh, then you moved to Seoul."  She tried to remember.

 

Mark felt his little hoop earrings on the side of his ear.  "I got them, but my dad convinced the principal somehow to keep me."  He remembered.  "And dad was going to move us to South Korea, but the position was taken by someone else."  He continued.

 

Ara held her chin.  "It's like a parallel universe.."  She muttered.


 

"Ara, Dear!"  A woman called from out of the room.

 

"Oh shoot, get back in your room."  Ara hurried him.

 

Mark didn't need to be told twice.  An unknown boy in a girl's room?  That's not going to happen.  However, he tried going through the mirror.  "Well?"  She looked at him.

 

"I can't."  He said, touching the mirror's surface.

 

Before Ara could say anything, the bedroom door opened. "Ara, there you are."  The woman smiled at her.  "Who's your friend?"  She asked.

 

Mark's heart was beating fast.  Before looking more suspicious, he bowed.  "Good.."  He saw that it was still the morning, "morning, Mrs. Li."  He said.  "I'm Mark Tuan, a fellow graduate."  He introduced himself.

 

"Aw, you two look so cute."  She said.  "I don't recognize your name though."  She commented.

 

"I just didn't want you to get the wrong idea, Mom."  Ara blushed.

 

The mother tilted her head.  "Wrong idea?  I would like to think you wouldn't keep your romance life a secret."  She chuckled.  "But do keep the door open next time, Sweetie."  She smiled at Mark.

 

"Yes, Ma'am."  Mark bowed.  "Are we ready to go to the event now?"  He asked, looking at the girls.

 

Ara picked up her purse.  "Yeah, if you are."  She said.

 

"I can drive you ladies, if you'd like."  Mark offered.  "My car isn't with me right now, but you shouldn't worry about traffic on a special day like this."  He said, smiling politely at the older lady.

 

"Oh isn't he a gentleman."  Mrs. Li giggled.  "On we go."  She directed.



 

Mark knew the road like the back of his hand.  Getting to the high school was no different than in his world.  The same buildings were built; the same lights had the audacity to stay red longer than others; however, the auditorium is on the right rather than the left.  He didn't get alarmed though, he just followed the directions.

 

While no one was watching, Mark sneaked up to the certificate box.  There were some blank certificates, oh thank goodness.. Someone didn't do their job.  He wrote his name in ink with the fancy font that they had.  Obviously, Mark is going into calligraphy art. He can mimic any fonts and designs.  He put it with the stack of other certificates and rushed out of the room as soon as possible.

 

If I'm stuck here.. I have to create an identity.  Mark thought.  Just remember those movies you watched years ago.  He mentored himself.

 

"Hey, who's this cutie?"  A girl asked Ara.

 

"Oh, this is.. Mark Tuan."  Ara introduced.  "Mark, this is LinFa." 

 

Mark bowed.  "Nice to meet you."  He said.

 

"Ara, I'm literally your best friend."  LinFa started.  "Why didn't you tell me you were dating someone?"  She asked.

 

Mark was about to speak up; however, Ara spoke up.  "I didn't tell you because we're not dating."  She answered.  "But he's really sweet and I'm thinking about it."  She said, slowly looking Mark's way.

 

Mark blushed.  "I'm not really from here though.."  He muttered.

 

"What do you mean?"  LinFa asked.

 

"He's an alien."  A male's voice came in.

 

LinFa rolled her eyes.  "Shut your face, Jackson."  She shook her head.

 

Mark looked at Ara with an amused smile.  "Maybe we can go on a double date sometime?"  He looked at the three.

 

"Who says that I'm dating this ugly girl?"  Jackson asked, putting his arm around LinFa.

 

Mark narrowed his eyes on them.  "Literally wearing couple rings."  He said.  "That and I can just tell."  He continued.

 

"Fair enough."  Jackson said.  "Mark Tuan?  I knew a kid named that years ago."  He commented.

 

Mark hummed.  "That guy."  He winked.

 

Ara noticed Mark getting natural and confident.  Sure, she liked his flushed cheeks and shy smile; but she definitely likes this side of Mark better.  Although she only met him an hour ago, he already feels like a life-long friend.  I mean, he literally watched me grow up.  Of course he's my life-long friend. 

 

"Why don't we go over to the shop for the date after the ceremony then?"  Ara suggested.

 

"Already?"  LinFa asked.  "I thought you said that you were thinking about dating him."  She teased.

 

Ara held her hips.  "I'm done thinking, how about them apples?"  She said with a sassy tone.

 

Mark was surprised.  "I'll treat you better than the other boys, I'll guarantee it."  He said, giving a courteous smile.

 

"Boy you better."  Jackson spoke up.  "Otherwise your face will be met by my knuckles like the other guys who thought they could get away with hurting our little Ara."  He continued.

 

Ara liked the sibling energy Jackson and LinFa gave off to her.  It was always something she was thankful for.  Of course, Mark knew that.  Mark knew everything about her.. I want to know about him.  She thought.

Ara had this new-found desire.  And it was to get to know Mark.  He’s handsome and seemingly sweet.  But he’s living a life differently from her - a life in a different world than her.  She’s only heard about it from the movies, and the movies always ended with the character going back to their time.

Is it selfish that I want him to stay here..?  Ara sneakily held the boy’s hand, walking with him to the auditorium where the ceremony was primarily held.


 

The ceremony went almost how Mark expected it to go down.  No one knew him, but guess that he was just one of those silent students.  In fact, in his world, he was one of the most well-known students.  That didn't bother him though.

 

What was important to him right now was that he was at the table with the three people.  Ara would glance over at him from time to time. "I think you click in well with us."  LinFa commented.  "I just wish I knew you sooner.  Where are you going after today?"  She asked.

 

Mark shifted in his seat.  "Originally, I wanted to go into art."  He said.  "I like calligraphy and themed art."  He continued.

 

"Oh that's cool."  Jackson commented.  "I knew a guy.. Who was he.."  He muttered.  "Jinyoung!  He's going to a school for that next semester."

 

Mark nodded.  "Jinyoung.."  He muttered.

 

"Who?"  Ara whispered.

 

"My best friend in my world."  Mark whispered back.

 

Ara nodded.  "Maybe you two can be classmates then?"  She mentioned.

 

"He's looking for a class partner."  Jackson said.  "I can give you his number, if you'd like."  He offered.

 

Mark took out his phone.  "Yeah, sure.  That'd be really cool."  He smiled.

 

Mark briefly took a look at his phone.  He was surprised that it actually worked, being that it's from a different world. 


 

~

 

Time felt like it was going much quicker to Mark.  The meal was over and finished in a flash and now they're walking together.  It seemed as if he blinked, he'd miss a year.  He looked down at the girl who was walking beside him silently.

 

He cautiously holds her hand.  "Is this okay?"  Mark asked.

 

"Yeah, of course it is."  She said.  "I kind of.. I don't know if it's just me, but it feels like we've known each other since the beginning."  She explained herself.

 

"Does it.. Make it weird that I have known you for that long?"  Mark asked, stopping their walking so that they can look at each other properly.

 

Ara shrugged.  "I find it more interesting than weird."  She said.  "I just wish that I could know more about you."  She said honestly.

 

Mark raised his eyebrows.  "You're a really daring woman, Mrs. Li."  He said.  "I'm a complete stranger to you." 

 

"If you were going to hurt me, you would have already."  Ara said.  "And don't call me that, it makes me sound old."  She folded her arms.

 

He chuckled and put his arm around her shoulders to continue their walk.  "I'm going to need to set up a new life here."  He said.  "I hope you don't mind me staying at your house for a little bit."  He had a guilty tone.

 

"Mom wanted me to finally get a good boyfriend,"  Ara started, "maybe I would rather you be trapped here than go back."  She continued.

 

Mark sighed.  "I wonder what's happening in my world though."  He muttered.  "I definitely want to stay here, but I wonder if they're looking for me.."  He raised his eyebrows.

 

"If you ever get the chance.. Will you go back?"  Ara asked, her voice a little shaky.

 

He stopped walking once again to look at her.  "I.. If the chance of coming to your world took eighteen years, then me being here that long will make me stay here.

 

"I'm not just going to abandon our life together, assuming we become something."  He put a hand up.

 

Ara giggled.  "You're too cute."  She said.  "You know me, I haven't ever had my first kiss..

 

"..can I have it now with you?"  She asked.

 

Mark looked into her eyes, searching for any doubt or hesitation.  When he came up empty, he lowered himself.  Maybe he made all of his past girlfriends jealous because he kept talking about his friend Ara from a different school.  Maybe he's had fantasies of meeting Ara and now it's just finally coming true.

 

Their lips come together softly.  Mark didn't want his first kiss to be rushed.  Cupping her cheek and feeling the soft skin, Mark hums lightly in the kiss.  Ara brings her hands to his shoulders, holding him lightly as she smiles in the kiss.

 

They slowly pull apart after a moment.  "You're my new life, Miss Ara."  He whispered. 


"I'm going to get to know you as well as you know me."  Ara said.  "But I can already tell that you're the one for me."  She put her arms around him in a hug.

Mark smiled as he closed his eyes.  The hug was warm and inviting.  Really, Mark was scared being in a new world.  He had no identity, he had no one he knew.  A gush of wind passed by them.  Ara looked up at him and started giggling.

“Hm?”  Mark was confused.

“Your hair is sticking straight up.”  Ara covered as she laughed.

Mark took out his phone and looked at his hair.  “Hey, that’s not funny.”  He looked at her.

“Yes it is!”  She backed up.

“Where do you think you’re going?”  He walked toward her.


She giggled and started running.  He chased after her until he finally snatched her.  “I got you~”  He cooed, kissing her cheeks. 




~~~




After so many years together, Mark had never gotten the opportunity to go back to his universe.  It remains a mystery to them, why Mark was able to cross the road of worlds.  However, that didn’t stop their relationship.

Mark was unknown to anyone else, and he took the life of this world’s Mark Tuan.  Mark and Ara grew old together and lived their lives together.  Children came and grandchildren too.  Only those two knew truly how they met.

 

 

I hope you liked this little story~
Mark found his new life with Ara!
Happy birthday~  I hope you'll be happy and healthy this year.

<3