second

twice

 

 

I.

 

When Karina opens up a letter to a reunion party of their old school, she initially decides to go in hopes of seeing Giselle to find the courage to apologize. She hadn’t seen the younger girl in years then, and there was still every chance that she could prove that her loyalties haven’t changed all that time, with renewed conviction. 

 

When she enters the auditorium on the day of the party, her heart aches at all of the moments she’d once shared with Giselle. Her mind is full of a certain japanese girl, and the speech being given by one of the school’s alumnus only comes across as static to her.

 

The only thing that managed to snap her out of her reverie was when a blonde girl with blue highlights climbed up the stage with an acoustic guitar bag slung behind her shoulder. 

 

She taps on the mic upon reaching the center of the stage, muttering “mic check, mic check” and Karina can’t help but smile and laugh a little as the girl’s voice echoed across the auditorium from the speakers situated in front.

 

She hadn’t counted on the stranger spotting her among the crowd of alumnus, but when their eyes met for that split second, Karina could feel her face warm up a little. 

 

When the person smiled awkwardly at her, Karina would be lying if she said her heart didn’t skip two beats. 

 

“Hello everybody, my name’s Winter. Though some of you might know me already. To my old classmates, hello there! Remember me? I helped you all with Math homework all those years ago.”  

 

Some laughter erupts from the audience, and Karina finds herself chuckling along too. A chorus of cheers start to erupt from some of the people in the crowd, probably from some of the girl’s old classmates, causing Winter to wave her arms ecstatically.

 

“Anyways, I’m here to sing a song or something— to kick off the start of the reunion party, I think. To be honest, I didn’t prepare anything and I really am just planning on winging this—” Winter laughed, scratching the back of her head. 

 

Another round of laughter erupts from the group of alumnus, along with a number of “Woos” and “Go Winters.”

 

As she took out her guitar, their eyes seemed to meet again, and the shared gaze seemed to linger for a little longer. An indescribable feeling fills Karina’s chest as she gives Winter a reassuring smile.

 

When the light illuminating the room dimmed, the spotlight to shine on the girl at the center of the stage.   

 

That entire duration of time Winter was singing, Karina’s mind was at peace for once— occupied with thoughts about how beautiful the blonde girl seemed to be with the glow of the spotlight only on her.  

 

After the reunion party, Winter and Karina happened to meet again on a similar route home as they waited at the same bus stop. 

 

Karina ends up approaching Winter when their eyes meet again for the third time that day.

 

“Hey, Winter right? Since it seems like we go the same way, Do you… uhm, wanna go together?” Karina offered as she awkwardly smoothed the lapels of her coat.

 

Winter is caught off guard by this suggestion by the way she only stared at the older girl for a few seconds, but immediately regains composure.

 

“Well, I planned on taking a detour before heading home so.. do you.. uhm, want to get some coffee first..? ” Winter asks, and the way the corners of her lips curl up to form that teasing, lopsided smirk made Karina rub the back of her neck shyly. “Before heading home together, I mean— but if you still have stuff to do, that’s completely fine.”

 

For some reason despite the mountain of work waiting for her at home, Karina finds herself agreeing. 

 

They talk for hours on end, and there’s again that nagging feeling of familiarity, as if she’s known this girl for forever.

 

“Wait. You were going to study in Canada for college? On a scholarship?!” Winter would blink in disbelief. “God, Karina— I lived there for four years!”

 

Karina found herself speechless at that statement. 

 

“Oh.. What a coincidence.” 

 

“Yeah. We could have met, and I’d bet we would have hit it off.” Winter chuckled. “Actually, funny story. When I flew over to Canada, the seat next to me was empty, and the attendants told me the person might have cancelled.”

 

“If you’re saying what I think you’re saying, that could’ve been anyone, you know.” The raven-haired girl quirked a brow.

 

“No, no. I know. A lot of people end up cancelling flights. But still. The odds that that could have been you, pretty plausible if I do say so myself.” 

 

For a moment, Karina was in an alternate universe where she’d actually chosen to push through with her scholarship. She could have met Winter in that same flight, and maybe.. She might have been happier. In this alternate dimension, Karina would have broken down in that airplane seat, and a certain blonde girl with blue highlights and a dimple on her right cheek when she smiled would have comforted her with a pat on the back, and a clean white cloth to wipe her tears away. 

 

Millions of different scenes play in her mind, from Winter knocking at her dorm room late at night with the most mischievous smile, to Winter surprising her with the tightest hug as she graduated from University, and to them going back to Korea hand in hand— different events that could have happened, had she not been afraid.

 

They would have gotten off that airplane chatting, and maybe everything would have been different for her now. 

 

Her first love had made her rethink her view in life, but when Winter says her musings with so much conviction, she just couldn’t help but believe.

 

“You know what; It doesn’t hurt to speculate, right?”

 

The smaller girl from across the table would only look up, tilting her head to the side. Her eyes are sparkling while reflecting the glow of the lamp that floated overhead when she leans back. There’s that lopsided grin, as if it’s up to some mischief that Karina, even with all her wits and brains couldn’t fathom. 

 

She wasn’t at all like Giselle, who was warm and fuzzy like a soft blanket. Winter was an anomaly.

 

 She was completely different. 

 

And maybe Karina meant that in a good way. 

 

II.

 

“You mentioned a scholarship to Canada when we first met, right?” Winter would ask, taking a sip out of her frappuccino— a regular drink she’d always order whenever they hung out. The younger called it the ‘mortal-equivalent to ambrosia,’ while Karina thought it was really just diabetes waiting to happen. “How come you never pushed through with it?”

 

Karina, who was sitting on the other side of the table would regard Winter’s question with a raised brow, before frowning. 

 

“Why do you ask?”

 

“Well, I don’t know. It seems like a good conversation starter.” The younger girl muttered, eyes planted on the drink Karina had ordered— a cup of green tea. She takes the handle of the cup, taking a curious sip out of the older girl’s drink before sticking her tongue out repulsively. “.. This tastes so bitter. Why do you like this stuff?”

 

“It’s healthy.” Karina retorted, rolling her eyes. She seemed to do that a lot when it came to Winter’s quirky attitude, but it truly wasn’t out of irritation. In fact, she’d even argue that the younger girl’s eccentricity was a little endearing. 

 

Winter was like the human equivalent of a golden retriever— adorable, easy to get along with, and stupidly smart. Smart in a sense that she knew how to get along with a lot of people, and how she knew what topics to raise as to not make conversation awkward. 

 

“Healthy, but it tastes weird. You can order up a plethora of delicious goods that are healthy— how about filtered coffee? That stuff lowers your odds of a heart disease.” Winter quirked a brow, frowning. “Better to get delicious food and enjoy what you’re ingesting.” 

 

“But I AM enjoying it. I like tea.” Karina smirked. “Plus, I wouldn’t be taking health advice from someone who always orders a frappe.”

 

“That’s because I rarely get to treat myself with this kind of stuff. My diet as a child was really restrained, you know.” Winter mumbled. “Anyway, you’re just holding off answering my question.”

 

“Do you really want to know?”

 

“I wouldn’t ask if I didn’t.” The younger girl responded rather quickly, grinning widely. “It’s weird, you know. You were only a few hours away from getting into that plane, and something came up and all of a sudden, you missed your flight.” She wags a finger, and taps on her chin as she placed Karina’s cup back on the surface of the table. 

 

“That’s because I ended up breaking down that day. Everything dawned on me, and it was just too much to take.” The older girl sighed. “And there was also Giselle, you know about her. I ended up being a huge jerk, and she was really the only pillar of support I had carrying me forward. One of these days, I will apologize to her, but I think she deserves something better than some incessant muttering on my behalf.” 

 

She had already told Winter about Giselle earlier on, during one of their first “coffee dates.” And she could never forget the twinkle that appeared in Winter’s eye when they spoke about crushes and first loves, and how the curious expression on her face twisted to one of complete amusement. The younger girl had made fun of her then for being such a hopeless romantic, and Karina could only huff in response. 

 

“How about practicing your apology on me, then?” Winter smiled, leaning back. She seemed to have a habit of doing that— always so relaxed, and Karina would always wonder how the latter made it seem as if nothing in the world could ever bother her. 

 

“No, that’ll be weird and you’ll just make fun of me.” the older girl snorted, as she brought the rim of the coffee cup to , taking a sip— only to cringe as the hot drink singed her tongue.

 

“Too hot?” The younger girl blinked, handing Karina a half-empty bottle of cold water when the older girl yelped and placed the cup back on the surface a little too quickly. “No, but for real. Then at least you’ll know what to say. You want to get rid of your habit of stuttering around Giselle, right?”

 

Karina would only huff indignantly, shaking her head— a resounding “no” escaping her lips as she took the bottle of water, uncapping it and taking a sip. 

 

“Also, bottled water? You’re contributing to climate change.” 

 

“Yeah, right. The world’s ozone layer could sooner deplete halfway through before you’re even relatively close to apologizing to that special person you always seem to talk about so passionately at this rate.” Winter chuckled, throwing her head back. 

 

“No. You seem to forget how you have this habit of teasing me to oblivion.” Karina mutters, rolling her eyes. 

 

Silence, and Winter looks over at the expression on Karina’s face. The older girl’s ears start to warm up a little at the way their eyes seem to meet and communicate. 

 

When their eyes meet, the smaller girl’s eyes seem to glaze over. There’s this electrifying sensation— a chill that ran down her spine. Then there’s that unfamiliar feeling of yearning from within her chest. 

 

When these moments happen— and they almost always do whenever they meet— Karina would always end up coughing into her palm, and Winter would always rub the back of her neck, unable to look at the older girl again for the remainder of their time together.

 

But this time seemed to be different, because this time, Winter was the first one to break that indescribable period of mutual staring they had a habit of getting into. 

 

“You know what I think, Rina?” Winter leaned forward, propping an arm under her chin. “I think you’re afraid. It’s why you’re avoiding facing it head on, and that’s a no-no.”

 

And there it was. Karina never fails to smile internally when the younger girl went on one of her tangents— How fast she can change the direction of their conversation, and how eerily accurate Winter can read her. Winter could go on for hours describing every single side to Karina’s multi-faceted personality, and the older girl would sit through all of it, greatly impressed. 

 

For some reason, despite the short duration of time they’ve spent together in the grand scheme of things, Winter seems to know Karina like the back of her hand. 

 

“And I know it’s scary. You don’t know how she’ll respond, things are unpredictable.” The younger girl continued, waving a finger to emphasize her point. “But things will always be uncertain. Sometimes, your gut is just preventing you from making the right step forward.” 

 

And how, despite how young Winter was, she seemed to know a lot more. The younger girl was wise, and there was no doubt about that. She knew what she was saying, and when she says it, she says it with so much conviction— One of the things Karina admired about her. 

 

“I’m sorry.” 

 

“You don’t have to apologize for—”

 

“I’m sorry I couldn’t trust you, and I couldn’t be there for you for the duration of time we spent together. I’m sorry I left you to fend for yourself, and I know I won’t be able to accept it if you don’t find it in yourself to let me back into your life, and I’m sorry about that too.” 

 

Winter opens , before closing it again as she gestured for Karina to continue. 

 

“You were right, I put so much focus into our label— our relationship, that I lost sight of having you. I forgot that, looking past the label, I had a trusted confidant, someone dear— a best friend. I couldn’t bring myself to face you for such a long time, and it might not be a big deal to you anymore, but you still mean so much to me and I hope you can find it in yourself to take my apology.”

 

Silence, again. This time, Karina can’t bring herself to look at Winter, or spare a glance in her direction because she’s sure the ache in her heart can be seen from the way she was quite obviously on the verge of tears. 

 

“Rina,” Winter started, crossing her legs in some fake, high-pitched, girly accent that was really far from Giselle’s, but she doesn’t comment on it anyway. “Thank you for telling me th— thi— ...”

 

Karina looks up, only to see the younger girl stifling a giggle. Her expression immediately twists to one of frustration as she stands up to smack the blonde upside the head. 

 

“You told me you wouldn’t laugh!” 

 

“No— I’m sorry, I can’t help it!” Winter chuckled, bursting to full blown laughter. “It’s just— your expression. It’s so cute.”

 

The older girl feels her face grow warm at that comment, her ears turning slightly red as she huffs, crossing her arms. Sitting back down, Karina would start grumbling.
 

“Giselle wouldn’t say that.” 

 

“Well, luckily for you, I’m not Giselle.” Winter grinned as she stood up, leaning over to pinch the older girl’s cheek. “I’m Winter, and I think Giselle won’t be able to resist that expression on your face when you apologize, so consider your apology decent enough.” 

 

She doesn’t know how Winter can cause butterflies to flutter in her stomach so easily, or how the younger girl pinching her cheek can cause her face to turn multiple shades darker in red, but when Winter does it so easily, Karina starts to fear what’s to come. 

 

“You’re so stupid, Win.”

 

“Stupidly gorgeous and helpful? Dang right, I am.”

 

III.

 

“Can’t we just go back to the cafe? Talk and make fun of each other like the usual?” Karina whined, tucking both of her hands into the pockets of her hoodie. Right now, she would rather be anywhere but with Winter, who only laughed and gave her a pat on the back. 

 

“No.” The younger girl smirked, crossing her arms indignantly. “You promised me last week that we’d watch a horror movie together, and I got really excited for this. Besides, we’re already here.”

 

Another strangled noise escapes Karina’s mouth, and Winter only gives her a teasing look. This was really their dynamic at this point— the constant teasing, whining and fake-crying, then the subtle loving looks the older girl would sneak every now and then (though Karina would never admit to it.)

 

She didn’t really feel the need to vocalize her thoughts, or to enunciate how much she enjoyed and appreciated Winter’s presence because she was confident that the younger girl could feel it either way. With Winter, she didn’t feel like she had to try at all. 

 

As they got their tickets, Karina would hesitantly allow herself to be dragged into the viewing room. 

 

Karina would never admit to it, but maybe she was hesitant in going inside because of the way Winter’s mouth curled down to the tiniest, most adorable pout. Maybe it was also in the way the younger girl would intertwine their hands as she dragged the older girl inside. 

 

“If I can barely sleep a wink tonight, I’m going to get so mad at you.” Karina grumbled, and Winter only smiled. 

 

“If you can barely sleep a wink tonight, I’ll drop by and look after you just in case a monster comes creeping by to take your soul.” 

 

“You’re really cheesy, you know that? And that would be really creepy of you. I don’t want anyone watching me sleep.”

 

“Pft, you’re one to talk.” The younger girl raised a brow. “You stutter and trip all over yourself when you’re flustered. Talk about creepy.” 

 

That comment earns Winter a hard slap on the shoulder as she yelps, rubbing at her side. 

 

“You call it cute when I’m flustered.” The older girl frowned. “Now you’re calling it creepy?”

 

“That was just a joke. I really do think you’re cute when you act all shy.” Winter sweatdropped, before chuckling. “Anyway, let's go find our seats now.”

 

As Winter went off to look for their seats, Karina silently watches the younger girl— unconsciously feeling the corners of her lips curl up to a small smile. Her heart feels full, and the notion of spending time with the blonde-haired girl never failed to give her a feeling of belonging— of home. 

 

It’s in the way that she doesn’t have to convince herself to feel a certain way— but it’s just the palpable gut feeling that ends up badgering her. She has to admit that she had already felt this way since the start of meeting the younger girl— the deep connection, how she feels as if she’s known Winter for more than one lifetime, and how she’s not afraid to admit anything to the younger girl. 

 

Unlike the movies, realization isn’t gradual. It just hits you at the back of your head, catching you off guard, and sometimes even overwhelming you. The sudden epiphany like cogs moving and clicking together, and the “oh” moment that leaves you panicked and way out of your own league. 

 

That moment, as she stared at Winter’s back around the very front of the row of seats in the theatres, when the younger girl waved a hand and gave her that lopsided smile that sent Karina’s heart soaring, it just hit her. 

 

And she doesn’t know why she hadn’t gone to realize it sooner, and how she’d spent such a long time making a fool out of herself for someone who saw her as something completely different when there was someone like Winter out there waiting for her. 

 

She doesn’t want to say those three words yet, not even in her head. Because if she were to say it, she’d want it to be in person, when Winter can hear her loud and clear. 

 

But maybe the younger girl had always meant something completely different to Karina. 


 

IV.

 

That day, as they walked home from their regular coffee “dates,” Karina took Winter to a familiar spot from her past. 

 

As they walk down the steep hill overlooking a recognizable river, she finds herself taking Winter’s hand in hers. Her grip is tight, and quite secure around the younger girl’s— and the older girl can’t help but think about how her hand seemed to fit so perfectly with the latter’s like two puzzle pieces.

 

The night sky was reflected by the water in the river, and Karina’s mind traveled four years back to when she showed that acceptance letter to Giselle. When they fought, and found each other in that exact same spot, to when they embraced each other and talked about all kinds of things before ending it altogether. 

 

And by the look on Winter’s face, she seemed to have an idea as to what this place was; probably from the various stories Karina had told her then. 

 

They sat on the grass in silence, and Winter is the one to shatter the quiet. 

 

“What’s one thing you aspire to have that is easy to lose?”

 

“Stability. Life has a habit of giving you a sense of security, only for things to slip out of your grasp the next second.”

 

“Like love?”

 

“No, Love is hard to let go of because it lingers if it’s true. The world could be in ruin, and I would probably be worrying about a special person I haven’t spoken to in years.”

 

Winter scanned Karina’s face as they sat by the riverside, solemn yet troubled. The older girl looked as if she was resigned to this awful fate, and the woes that were buried under years of fake smiles were finally beginning to arise to the surface. It was obvious in the way that the corners of Karina’s lips were threatening to curl down. 

 

“Well, one would argue that a love that is true is one that gives you the sense of stability.”

 

Karina felt her brow furrow at this statement as if it bothered her. She frowns, turning to look at Winter. 

 

“Love is a feeling of endearment you have for the person, but life sometimes has different plans for you.” 

 

“If life has different plans for you, Rina, then shouldn’t it mean that there’s a truer love waiting for you? Something that’s completely different but all the more better.” 

 

The way Winter had said that so confidently had left the older girl staring wide-eyed and speechless. The younger girl looked back at her with the most sincere expression, and the way her eyes seemed to glow, reflecting the stars in the night made Karina’s breath hitch. 

 

“No, I mean—” 

 

“I know what you mean. You told me about the moments you’ve had with that person, and I know what we have can’t even begin to compare but if you want me to be completely transparent, Rina, you’re quite frankly the best thing that’s happened to me in all these years I’ve been alive.” 

 

“Win—”

 

“And I know that makes me sound so uncool, but when you told me about your scholarship to Canada, that fact alone ended up bothering me to no end. It made me wonder how less miserable things would have been had I met you sooner, because maybe then, I probably wouldn’t have spent a huge chunk of those four years just confined in some hospital room worrying about my life because of some stupid complication.” 

 

“Winter.”

 

“And it kills me when you talk about that person because you don’t deserve to feel that way. And if only I could just show you just how important you are to me, I would give you the entire world and more.”

 

“Winter!” Karina repeats in a shrill tone, making the younger girl stop and jolt up in surprise. Winter then shakes her head, muttering a meek apology as she wiped a single tear rolling down her cheek.

 

“Sorry, I kind of.. Got carried away. With.. Yeah.” 

 

“When I said life has different plans for you, I meant that I was destined to meet someone better.” The older girl mumbled, a vibrant red starting to dust her cheeks. She could’ve sworn her entire face had glowed scarlet at that confession. 

 

The blonde could only mouth an “Oh,” blinking awkwardly. “Uhm.” 

 

“I never thought I could feel that way for anyone else after that person. It made me feel a lot of things, and this place was one of those things.” Karina continued, unable to look at Winter straight in the eyes. “But I guess I was mistaken, because I ended up gradually falling in love again. And I thought that, maybe before I end up admitting it to her, I’d be.. transparent and vulnerable, and the best way I can do it is by showing her this place.” 

 

“And going here with her, it just.. became so easy all of a sudden. My heart felt so light, and I was going to say it, but she beat me to it.” The older girl chuckled, running a hand through her hair. “You know, if you had just waited a little longer I would have confessed, but I guess this is fine too.” 

 

The younger girl is silent, curling down to a pout with her bottom lip jutting outward. She would then whine, before wrapping her arms tightly around Karina.

 

“You’re so stupid.” 

 

The older girl could only laugh, overwhelmed with joy at the feeling of content the embrace had given her. She honestly felt at home then, in the arms of Winter. She felt as if she’d finally gotten what she’d been waiting for for so long. 

 

Because Winter was one-of-a-kind. Winter made her believe in love again. 

 

With Winter, Karina learned that love wasn’t present in dashing confessions of love, or expensive gifts and obnoxiously overexaggerated displays of affections. She learned love was in the smallest things— because with the right person, even a single gaze can mean the most sincere ‘I love you.’


 

V.

 

“You know, I missed you.” The younger girl’s hoarse voice echoed from the phone’s speaker, and Karina can only breathe out a laugh. 

 

A year has gone by since Winter’s confession, and the older girl’s endearment for the blonde-haired girl has yet to diminish. Because whenever the younger girl calls, Karina is always quick to answer. She’d even be guilty of sitting idly by for hours on end at work, patiently waiting for her phone to ring so she can tell Winter all about her day. 

 

“I missed you too. I’m on my way home, and I’m going to drop by yours. Would that be alright?” The older girl responded, and she can already imagine Winter’s arms wrapped around her figure. 

 

A chuckle rings from the other side of the line, and all of a sudden Karina starts to feel stupid for even asking. 

 

“Please do, I really want you here. Right now.” The younger girl repeated sternly. “I don’t know why you even had to ask.” 

 

“Sorry, I don’t want to be disturbing your space and all that. You know, privacy and stuff.” Karina laughed awkwardly, rubbing the back of her neck. “What did you do today?”

 

She can hear Winter breathe heavily from the other side of the line, thinking. Karina waits patiently as she boarded a bus heading straight home— the exact station where she and Winter first interacted. An odd feeling of familiarity starts to rise from her chest— something she never really got used to. 

 

“Oh, you know. The usual.” Winter finally answers, before sighing. “I was writing, I guess. And it’s funny because whenever inspiration hits me, it’s always when you come to visit.” 

 

“Yeah, you said that before. And we both chalked it up to this deep connection we seem to have between us.” Karina giggled as she grabbed onto a bus handle dangling from the ceiling of the vehicle. “Soulmates? You said we were soulmates.” 

 

“Mmmhm. You felt it, right? From the moment our eyes met during that reunion party.” 

 

The older girl nods, her eyes focused on the view of a lone coffee shop outside of the bus window— a place they used to frequent a lot. She remembers a lot of moments, from the disgusted expression on Winter’s face whenever Karina ordered green tea, to the unbecoming laugh Winter let escape from the one time she had tripped on her own feet while carrying over their tray of drinks before coming over to ask if she was okay. 

 

All of it was about Winter. 

 

“Say, the next time I come visit, how about I bring you a frappe from the cafe we used to visit?”

 

“What’s this? Usually, you’re against me consuming sweet food.” 

 

“I guess you can consider this a one time thing.” 

 

“I’ll have to think about that. You know, it IS pretty unhealthy.” Winter laughs. “But that does remind me of the one time you tripped on your own feet as you carried our drinks over.” 

 

Karina hums, and she feels her smile grow a little wider. When she catches sight of a familiar movie theatre, an unfamiliar sensation starts tugging in her chest— Yet another memory the older girl holds dear to her, of when a beautiful realization struck her. 

 

Of when she realized just how dear Winter actually was to her. She recalled going home that night, a stupidly large grin plastered on her face as the younger girl fell asleep on her shoulder while they sat waiting for the bus to arrive.

 

“Anyway, Win. You just sit tight, I’m almost there.” Karina coos, only to shake her head as Winter whined from the other side of the line. 

 

“Alright, hurry up jagiyaaa.” 

 

When the call ends, Karina takes a detour to visit a certain spot by the river, taking a different turn than usual on the route home. 

 

Because the waters would always be a constant reminder to her— that even the worst memories can be replaced with something exceptionally and outstandingly beautiful. What was once a place she could hardly even bear to visit had just as easily become a spot she would frequent whenever she was upset. 

 

It never fails to remind her of just how much she had fallen for a certain girl with blonde hair and blue highlights— the anomaly with the most mischievous lopsided smile. 

 

Karina spends some time there to think, before going to Winter. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

When she enters the room, she is greeted with the sight of a familiar blonde. The way Winter’s eyes seem to light up at the sight of Karina makes the older girl want to laugh, but for some reason, she can’t bring herself to. 

 

Because when she sees the girl she loves so dearly lying down in a hospital bed, worse for wear and exhausted, her heart breaks a little. The whitewashed walls of the hotel room never really fit the younger girl’s usually chipper mood, and the smell of antiseptic would never be the first thing she’d associate with Winter.

 

Winter senses this, and gestures for Karina to come closer and the older girl does just that. 

 

Karina musters up a sad smile, wrapping her arms around the younger girls figure. 

 

The reason as to why she couldn’t bring herself to visit more frequently is because everytime she did, it hurt her to feel Winter’s figure shrink and grow thinner in her embrace. It made her feel helpless. 

 

“... Win,” Karina mutters into Winter’s ear. “I love you.” 

 

The younger girl would mirror Karina’s expression, her voice lower than a whisper, and tears would start rolling down her cheeks because she yearned for the older girl’s touch on a regular basis.  

 

“I love you too.” 

 

It never fails to amaze Karina, how when their hands are intertwined, Winter’s hand seems to fit so perfectly with hers. And how much they seem to complement each other. 

 

Winter was an anomaly because even to her grave, because though Karina knew her like the back of her hand, she couldn’t comprehend a lot of things that made her the way she was. 

 

Like how she never failed to give, and how her smile always managed to brighten up her days— and how easily she had slipped away from her grasp. 

 

Because before she knew it, Winter was gone. 

 

VI.

 

Giselle steps into a foreign cafe, a confused look on her face as she takes out her phone to see if she had gotten the destination correctly. 

 

Before she could check though, she felt a tap on her shoulder. Turning around, she sees someone familiar she hadn’t met in a while— A girl with long black hair cascading down her back and a mole under her lip. 

 

“Karina, It’s been a while.” The japanese girl would greet, the corners of her lips twisting into a big smile. “To be frank, I’m kind of surprised you decided to reach out. I’m sorry if I wasn’t able to respond right away, Ningning and I were kind of on some …vacation. Yeah.”

 

Karina would simply nod with a small smile. “Yes, don’t worry. It’s not awkward for me, you don’t have to worry—” She then laughed. 

 

“I really just invited you out here to apologize.”