Chapter 1: Snowy Night

The Heartless Sword

Year 578 of the Huaxian country (華仙國)

Whoosh…whoosh…

Snowflakes pushed out and danced from their deviated path upon the direction of the erratically blowing wind. In Plum Blossom City, though not the capital but the heart of Huaxian nonetheless due to its rich history that prized enlightenment and cultivation through sword practicing, the regular folks closed their doors early in preparation of a heavy snowy night. Though the roads were mostly empty, many households hung up lanterns at their doors to signify joy at the beginning of a new era. The warmth from the candle lights shone brightly through the lanterns with its colourful range from red, pink, purple, to yellow, and even some pastel greens in between.

The ordinary people of the land, unlike the elites who ruled above them, did not understand any grand ideas nor did they really care who were the elites in power at any one point in time; the only thing they care about was that they could live peacefully and not having to suffer from wars like they had a decade ago. Though, even when that had happened, the city fared better than others because of the patriotic swordsmen and prominent cultivators who lived in and around the city defending the city walls against intruders. All in all, if they did not see any significant changes in their lives, the changing of rulers only meant nothing more than an excuse to celebrate and to add some entertainment during meals in their otherwise mundane, ordinary lives. It had been a long time since the surname of the city ruler changed to another. In fact, for as long as Huaxian came into being over more than half a millennium ago at the leading of the great deity swordsman, Hua Qingfeng, this city had always belonged to the Lin family.

Though, it did not matter the surname of their new ruler was different now. Some of the more superstitious folks even saw the falling snow was signifying a purification of the land and welcoming a righteous new ruler who would heal the land tirelessly from the wounds that the old demonic tyrant had inflicted. What were the wounds that the demon had inflicted? This, they did not know nor did they dare to question as they believed it was something only for the heaven to judge. To them, the narrative of the winner must be legitimate for they believed that their land was particularly blessed and favoured by the heaven.

For one person though, the ending of an era and beginning of another was a change that was motivated by nothing other than greed and thirst for innocent blood.

Outside of the city, miles away, a woman willed her fragile, bruised body to keep moving forward in the wide wildness covered with a heavy blanket of snow. She would have left a small but obvious trail of blood if it was not for the continuously falling snow that covered her track, making the path fresh.

Panting her breath, she struggled to stay focused and moved against the winding path. The piercing of the ignorant wind amplified the pain from her wounds. She cried in shock of the pain. However, quickly she forced herself to swallow the saliva mixed with blood down , trying to ignore the agonizing sensation burning throughout her body. If she still had her internal qi, she could have easily suppressed it, but now, she could only rely on sheer willpower.

Another strike from the mercilessly wind, warning her of an incoming storm. Her knee let out, causing her whole body to fall forward onto the snow. Her chest pulled to , but she stubbornly bit down her lower lip, not allowing herself to cry out in pain again.

Why?   

Her eyes pooled with tears that quickly froze along the side of her face. The smiling faces of her parents appearing in her mind and she wondered if this was it; she would still die not too far from where he was and no justice in this god forsaken land. She did not want to die and take her grudge to the afterlife yet, but her body started to disobey her.

It’s unfair.

Before her eyes shut completely on their own, she thought she saw a figure not too far ahead, walking toward her.