Be oblivious, as long as we can

Here's to finding common ground
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Thank you guys for the reviews! I appreciated them very much, and I promise to deliver a decent story here, to the best of my abilities. So please enjoy chapter 2




 

Unlike the previous night where Seulgi was turned away from her. This time, Irene was able to hold her. The omega did not let go of her alpha at any point that night. Seulgi accepted this embrace. She seemed extra drained, probably because she had spent most of the night in tears, crying, and tired. And they still had yet to really talk about the real issue at hand. 

 

“Honey?” Irene whispered to her. 

 

It was close to six in the morning, and Irene was only checking to see if Seulgi was still asleep. So if she was in fact still asleep, the omega would carefully get out of bed without waking her wife up. There was no response other than the soft snores of her alpha. Irene carefully leaves a kiss to the monolid woman’s forehead and gets out of bed. 

 

Last night was difficult. More so than Irene could have imagined. She can’t have her wife in pain like that again, not because of her. They did need to come to a conclusion that worked for them both. Somehow and tough conversations would have to be had before they left this house. 

 

Because it was too early to make breakfast. Irene put on her coat and decided to go out for a bit of a walk around the lake.

 

“Cold, too cold.” The omega shuddered as soon as she opened the door. She would need a scarf and some gloves too. It was after all so very early and they were near a lake. Once deeming herself appropriately dressed. Irene heads outside for an early morning walk, too early. But perhaps this is what she needed to clear her own mind. Because truthfully, as much as Irene loved her wife, and she did love Seulgi very much. This was not just about Seulgi.

 

It was about her too. This wasn’t simply about the alpha’s feelings only. She had feelings too, and as much as she was trying to protect Seulgi’s feelings. Irene knew the same was true for Seulgi. She knew that her wife wanted to be mindful of her feelings. They were both always so mindful of the other’s feelings. Probably why they were in this situation in the first place.

 

Irene let out a small sigh as she came toward the lake. The sun was not up yet, but even still with the calm quiet and peacefulness it was exactly the kind of getaway both she and Seulgi needed. Irene just hoped they would leave here with answers and not more problems. By the time her walk was over, the sun was indeed starting to come up and she figured by now she could probably make breakfast. At least that was the plan until the omega saw how cozy and inviting that couch looked and she kind of couldn’t help sitting down on it.

 

And sitting down led to laying down. She didn’t sleep all that well herself to be honest. Too worried about her mate. Worried about their marriage. Sleep right now was so very welcome. The problem would still be there when she woke up. Irene didn’t know for how long she was asleep. However, it was the smell of tea being made, along with eggs being cooked, and then the gentle hand of her wife that really woke her up. Seulgi was standing over her. 

 

“Hey, Rene, are you hungry? I was making breakfast and I didn’t want to wake you but I figured you should probably eat something.”

 

That’s her mate. Thoughtful and sweet as always. Irene is honestly starving and the food smells delicious. From the smell of the tea, it’s clear that Seulgi brewed her favorite apple-cinnamon blend for her. Irene sits up and almost immediately she hugs the alpha as if she hasn’t spent the majority of her night holding her wife. 

 

“Irene?”

 

“Thank you.” She whispers.

 

“For breakfast?” Seulgi whispers confused and that makes the omega chuckle. Irene shakes her head and simply leans into her wife. 

 

“I know we have a lot to talk about. I know we’re not suddenly problem free. But you haven’t given up on me or us and that means so much, honey.”

 

Seulgi supposes she understood. Last night had been extremely difficult for them both. The alpha doesn’t think she had cried as hard as that in a long time. Perhaps because everything hit her at once. As she found that list of all the things she had hoped to accomplish. The very idea of not being able to have a child of her own was awful. And yet, the idea of no longer being married to Irene seemed equally as painful too. Seulgi didn’t want to think about that right now though. Not while there was breakfast on the table they could at least try and eat. The alpha slowly lets go of the hug, though not before kissing the top of her forehead.

 

“That’s okay, I understand, and you don’t have to thank me. Let’s have breakfast, okay. It’ll get cold soon and we should eat.”

 

Somehow, the food reminds the omega of when her alpha first tried to make breakfast for her. It was a sweet gesture, a time when Irene was under the weather and could barely get out of bed. It was sweet, thoughtful, and in that moment Irene knew without a doubt the woman was the person she would marry and mate. Kang Seulgi was her person and that much Irene knew. They just had to figure this one thing out. Only the matter wasn’t as simple as picking out a place to have a vacation. Or asking your spouse's opinion on whether you should get a new car or something trivial like that. This was something that could and would have lasting implications on their future.

 

“Do you remember when you came over to my apartment to make me breakfast that time I was sick?”

 

How could the alpha have forgotten? Seulgi remembered being so worried about her girlfriend at the time. Seulgi at the time wasn’t even the greatest cook. But she knew enough that without a second thought she came running over to her sick girlfriend’s place to make what she could. The monolid woman smiles softly and nods.

 

“I’m pretty sure I burned your soup a few times and the toast too.”
 

The omega reached over for one of the alpha’s hands. “That was probably one of the nicest things anyone had ever done for me. If anything it just made me realize I was going to marry you one day, Seulgi.”
 

Seulgi smiled softly, giving Irene’s hand a firm squeeze back. Again, love is certainly not their problem. Seulgi knew fairly early on Irene was her person, her omega, her future mate and wife. She always hoped Irene would also be the mother of her pups. The alpha still clinged onto the hope that it could still be possible for them to have a family, somehow. She and Irene just needed to work this out in a way that would work for them both.

 

At least, there was nothing wrong with holding onto hope, right?

 

“I was always pretty sure about you too, Rene.”

 

Irene leaned over to kiss the side of her wife’s face. So far this was a much better morning than their night. The raven has begun thinking, and maybe it could be a lot to ask. Still, Irene felt like it was worth a try. Especially if it meant working things out with the woman she loved.

 

“Seul, I need to ask for one more favor.”

 

The brunette then listened as her mate suggested that they stay a little longer at the lakehouse. The plan hadn’t been to make this some sort of mini vacation. Though, Seulgi could see all the points Irene made.

 

“I know it might be a lot to ask. I do think being here will be good for us, as we work through our issues. If there’s anything very pressing I know someone can notify you at the company, and I can rearrange some work things of my own. Other things can wait, honey. I think we need to take this time for us, alright?”

 

Seulgi agreed. It wasn’t as if she hadn't taken leave before. Seulgi is the boss and can set her own schedule. The alpha honestly knew she would have tried to use work as an excuse to avoid the current issue. Only what good would that have done? Hiding away at work would solve nothing. 

 

“Alright. We’ll stay until we figure this out. I...don’t want to lose you, Rene.” 

 

She didn’t want to lose Seulgi either. And so the couple decided to put a bit of a pause on other things. The state of their marriage meant more at this time. 

 

“I don’t want to lose you either, Seul.” The omega touches the side of her wife’s cheek. “Okay, let me wash the dishes since you cooked. That’ll give you some time to handle things with the office, and we can make some plans for the day?”

 

The monolid woman nodded and before her mate could go and start washing the dishes. Seulgi reached over for Irene’s hand. She carefully caresses the omega’s knuckles, and her fingers do touch Irene’s wedding ring. Seulgi remembered picking out this precise ring. A radiant-style cut diamond ring, with an all white-gold band. Seulgi had spent a lot of time with the jeweler picking out what she wanted, or rather what she could see on her future wife’s finger for the rest of her life. Funnily enough, Irene had met with the same jeweler to pick out Seulgi’s ring too. A cushion-shaped diamond, but with a more simplistic metal band, and it was always funny to them how they picked out exactly what the other wanted, based on personal tastes.

 

But then again when people truly belong together in the way they do, it’s not surprising that they are on similar wavelengths. And Seulgi knew she belonged with Irene. She knew that with her whole heart, and yet there was no denying this issue between them.

 

“I’ll go wash the dishes.” Irene states and leaves a kiss onto Seulgi’s forehead first, then her cheeks, and finally her lips, as if leaving her mark on each part of her face she could. Seulgi sighs and gets up from the table, but not before picking up all the used dishes and bringing them over to the sink. A small gesture, but meaningful and sweet. While the omega tackles the dishes before her, it does give Seulgi the time to handle what she needs to with work. She is no longer sure how long they will be here, a few days, a week. Either way it was best to plan ahead. Nothing mattered more at this point than figuring out the next steps together. 

 

“Yes, I’ll be taking a small leave of absence. But I know you and the other board members can handle things while I’m gone. If there’s anything that needs my attention, send it directly to me and I will handle it.” Seulgi handles things with work first so at least that will be one less issue to be dealt with. The alpha is honestly still tired from last night. She hadn’t slept that well and it was more emotionally draining than Seulgi would have liked to admit. It was equivalent to the feeling of pushing all your food down and hoping like hell it wouldn’t come back up, and knowing full well it would. This was the real issue.

 

As it wasn’t like Seulgi had just found out yesterday that her mate didn’t want to have kids. She knew this going in. She knew this before they decided to get married and mated, and in that it’s not Irene’s fault. It’s not her fault either that she wants children. They should have properly discussed what this could mean for any marriage, and yet they were just so in love with each other. They pushed that conversation all the way to the side, and not ever dealing with it.

 

Only now they had to. What other choice did they have? The monolid woman leans back against the pillows and before she fully realizes, or could stop. She was falling asleep again. 

 

“Hon? Irene comes up to the bedroom no more than ten minutes later to see her other half fast asleep in bed. The alpha looked so adorable really in her signature sleeping position, legs out, on her back with lips parted slightly. It would often amaze the omega how her wife would and could sleep just about anywhere when they were dating. It didn’t matter, wherever there was a surface she could sleep, and sleep soundly too. 

 

Irene walked over to the bed, sat down beside her mate and gently nuzzled the sleeping woman’s neck. She laid down beside her wife and grabbed a hold of her hand.

 

“We’re going to work everything out, honey.” Irene whispers softly to the sleeping woman. The comfortable and familiar warmth of her partner settles her. It’s not long before Irene is asleep beside Seulgi too. As Irene sleeps she dreams. She isn’t all too sure what the dream is supposed to mean. Or rather she hopes it doesn’t mean anything. There are too many random images, flashing by fast, but she does see herself. She sees her wife, and yet whenever she tries to reach Seulgi. Her alpha disappears each time and when she wakes up Irene is in tears.

 

“Rene?” Seulgi who had woken up instantly from feeling her mate’s distress is already with her arms around the shorter woman. It takes a few moments for the omega to settle

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter