Our glaring differences

Here's to finding common ground
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/n: random idea but I think I can do it justice, where alpha Seulgi really does want to have a family and be a sire but her wife omega Irene doesn't necessarily want the same thing, so here’s their journey.



 

Kang Irene took the offered mug of tea from her best friend’s wife. It was just what she needed to relax her mind. 

 

“Here you go, Rene.” The taller blonde alpha says with a warm smile. 

 

“Thank you, Chaeyoung.”

 

Chaeyoung is her best friend Jennie's wife. And tonight Irene has come to visit her best friend, her mate, and their newborn baby. She isn’t the only one though as she can see her wife Seulgi who is currently holding the adorable baby, who has Jennie’s eyes and Chaeyoung’s cute chipmunk cheeks. The perfect combination of both of them, really.

 

“You’re welcome, Rene.” She sits down on the couch too, looking at how her wife is praising her friend’s baby holding skills.

 

“Wow, you’re pretty good at holding babies, Seul.” Jennie says. “Are you sure you’ve never held a baby before.”

 

“No, never. I've only really held older pups. But she’s so precious, Jen.”

 

Irene doesn’t miss the smile on Seulgi’s face. Her warm monolid eyes bright as she carefully holds the baby. She didn’t need to see that to know her alpha wants children.

 

“Seul is very good with the baby.” Chaeyoung mentions. It’s so nice to see her friend and fellow alpha so naturally good with her daughter. 

 

“Yes, she’s very good with your daughter.”

 

“Does she want pups?”

 

Seulgi at that moment does hand the little one back over to her mom. Seulgi doesn’t make any eye contact with Irene and though that does make her a bit sad. The omega understands why.

 

“Yes, she wants pups.”

 

The other couple don’t stay long. They were only here to drop off gifts to the baby, spend a little time with the new parents, and get going before too late. Seulgi and Irene knew their friends would no doubt be busy with their newborn, so they didn’t want to stay too late. Plus, there would be other times to meet with them and spend time with the baby. Her wife still hadn't said much since they left Jennie and Chaeyoung’s place. Irene liked to think it was because her wife was focused on driving. And yet there have been times they still had conversations as her alpha is a very careful and focused driving. No, Irene knew this was all because of what happened back at their friend’s house.

 

Jennie and Chaeyoung’s newborn is not the first new baby they had spent time with. Other friends of theirs had welcomed children too, and just like she and Seulgi went to visit with the two of them tonight. They had gone before to visit others as well. And each time they left it would always get awkward for a while. Irene is not stupid by any means. The omega would have to be dumb, deaf, and blind to not know her wife wants pups of her own. 

 

“Seul?” a pale hand goes over to the tanned arm of her alpha. As expected, Seulgi doesn’t look at her. She does however acknowledge her with a nod.

 

“Are you upset?”

 

Was she upset? Seulgi wasn’t even sure at this point. But what the alpha did know was as nice as it was to spend time with their friend’s newest little addition. Her mind wandered to other things, like how much she wanted to sire her own pups, and the very real possibility that she might not ever get the chance. 

 

“No, I’m not upset, Rene.”

 

The omega sighs and leans against the passenger seat window a bit, as they still had a ways before they reached home. She knew Seulgi was upset and felt like the best thing she could do was leave her alpha alone and give her space. It got more awkward when they did arrive home. Seulgi didn’t speak to her let alone look at her, as she prepared for bed. Irene didn’t want to right out say her feelings were hurt, but they were. At the same time, she didn’t blame her wife for why she had suddenly withdrawn. Irene supposes she would too if the situation were reversed and she wanted children while Seulgi didn’t.

 

And that was their real issue now, the fact that the omega didn’t want to have pups and her alpha did. This was always a sore topic of discussion for them, one of the main issues that had never gone away. How could it when the longer you’re married certain issues will continue to arise, and this was an issue that would not go away for them. Before Irene had asked Seulgi if her not wanting children would be an issue for her. At the time Seulgi had assured her that it wouldn’t be an issue. The alpha loved her, and she loved her very much too. But now, these days it was getting harder to ignore the obvious.

 

This one huge difference between them, whether or not to have a family. Irene looks over to Seulgi who is laying down on her side of the bed, with her back turned. She wishes Seulgi would talk to her, and in that moment of slight desperation she does release her scent, on purpose to get Seulgi’s attention. The moment the pleasant scent of lavender hit the alpha’s nostrils. Seulgi had no choice, there simply was no ignoring one’s mate. Especially when said mate resorted to tactics of releasing her scent to purposely get your attention. Seulgi turns around and looks at her wife, a mostly worried look in her big brown eyes. The alpha didn’t mean to get so in her own feelings. Seulgi also never meant to hurt Irene’s feelings. 

 

Slowly, a tanned hand made its way to Irene’s cheek. The omega leaned into her touch instantly, calming down when she was met with the warm and familiar citrus scent of her other half. She’s not mad at Seulgi. This situation isn't anyone’s fault in particular. They were just two people who loved each other and wanted to be married and mated. Two people with different ideas for their future. Surely, they could make it work, though. She and Seulgi weren’t just dating. They were married. They were mates, and they loved each other. That had to mean something, didn’t it?

 

“I’m sorry.” Seulgi whispers softly. Again, hurting Irene’s feelings was never a part of the plan. Irene is the love of her life, and that’s one of the reasons she married this woman. Despite knowing that the topic of children might not ever be a reality for her. 

 

“No, don’t be sorry.” The omega grabs onto the hand that’s on her cheek. She is sorry that she can’t give Seulgi what she wants. Her alpha who is a sweet, loving, and kind person who has given her the world, literally. Anything Irene could possibly want or need. Seulgi made sure she had it. And Seulgi never asked her for anything in return. Not even the one thing she wanted most. Seulgi never pressured her, and chose to simply not talk about it any further, at least not unless they were prompted to have that conversation.

 

“Still, I didn’t mean to shut down on you, Rene. I get lost in my head sometimes, and Jennie and Chaeyoung’s little girl was adorable.”

 

“Yes, she was. I’m sorry, I know that visit probably stirred up a lot of feelings for you.”

 

It hadn’t been particularly easy for Seulgi. The alpha has always loved kids, has always wanted children to be in her future some sort of way, and honestly still wanted children to be a part of her life. At the same time, she would not pressure or force the issue with her wife if she truly didn’t want to ever have pups. 

 

“Yeah, it’s okay. Can we not talk about this right now? I just want to go to sleep, Rene.”

 

A polite way to end their conversation. As much as Irene would love to continue their conversation, because she wants to make sure Seulgi is okay. This woman is her wife and mate. She loves her very much and wants them to both be okay. There are of course times, where Irene wonders if this would be the one thing that could destroy their marriage. Sure, they loved each other very much. But what if that wasn’t enough and the issue of children and whether to have them or not, became too great even for them to deal with. The omega did the only thing she could in that moment, and at least leaned forward to kiss her wife properly. Irene feels relieved when Seulgi does kiss her back. Though, she knows things aren’t magically solved just because she was kissed back.

 

“Okay, get some sleep, honey. I love you.”

 

“I love you too, Rene.”

 

And instead of being held or cuddled like usual. The alpha simply turned away from her again to sleep. Irene knew that they would need to talk seriously and soon, though they have had multiple conversations about this very topic, only to never reach any conclusion. Since things wouldn’t change. Seulgi still wanted children, and she did not.

 

“Goodnight, Seul.”


 

 

It was difficult for them both to sleep that night, for different but similar reasons. Neither one of them particularly liked going to bed with unresolved feelings between them. Irene never liked sleeping without Seulgi’s arms around her, or at least feeling her as close as possible, so the distance was the worst right now. Seulgi just wanted to make sure she didn’t hurt Irene’s feelings even further, though unintentionally feelings were hurt regardless. That’s why the omega promised herself by morning, she would start off by making them the most delicious breakfast, and having a much needed date out. Perhaps, they can drive out to their lakehouse, and make a full day of it. 

 

That was the plan, and it sounded nice. But when daylight came, Seulgi told her she would be going into the office to work. Now, Irene knew for a fact that Seulgi didn’t need to go to work. Her wife makes her own schedule, you can do such things when you’re the head of the company. Irene herself didn’t have to work today either, and for the most part she can work from home. 

 

“You’re going into the office?” Irene blinks, holding on tightly to the sheets she didn’t even realize she was holding onto. 

 

“Yeah, I’ve got some work to do before the holiday rush. It’s a busy time at the office then, you know?”

 

Sure, the omega knew that. She knew that very well and respected her wife’s work and how it could get particularly busy. She just doesn’t understand why Seulgi is pushing her away this hard when they should be talking.

 

Seulgi could smell the hint of oncoming tears before Irene was even anywhere near crying. Her mate doesn’t cry much in the first place unless she is overwhelmed, very stressed, or finally releasing her feelings that have been bottled up. Seulgi hates when her wife is sad, and she hates to know she’s hurt her feelings. The tanned woman moves to her and hugs her right away, engulfing her shorter partner in that comforting citrus scent of hers. Irene does settle in her arms and the couple sit there in silence until Irene speaks again.

 

“Don’t push me away. I know having the family topic is a big deal for us, but please don’t push me away. I am your wife. More than that I am your mate, Seul.”

 

The alpha doesn’t speak for a moment. But she does acknowledge her wife by rubbing her back in a gentle manner. She shouldn’t be going about this in such a way, pushing her away would not solve matters. That’s why when Seulgi finally did speak she promised she would not go into the office today.

 

“Thank you, honey. We won’t solve anything by being unintentionally hurtful to one another. That’s why I have an idea.”

 

Seulgi listens to her idea of taking the day and driving out to the lake house. They hadn’t gone in awhile, and it is a good place to relax, due to the quiet and peaceful atmosphere. Seulgi agrees to go, if for no other reason but for peace and quiet.

 

“It’ll be good for us, you’ll see.”
 

“Alright, Rene. Let’s make a day of it.”

 

Feeling more hopeful than she had the previous night. Irene makes all sorts of plans in her head for how their day would go. They’d first have a delicious breakfast. They’d pack up and get everything they needed for their trip, that could very well turn into an overnight stay, something Irene knows she wouldn’t be opposed to. She knows spending time with their friend’s newborn had put Seulgi’s own need to be a sire into overdrive. So the omega hopes that today would be helpful for them both. Though Irene often thinks back to conversations they had earlier in their relationship, when they were serious but not yet at the marriage or mating stage of things.


 

(Flashback)

 

Irene rested on the monolid woman’s chest, her hand absentmindedly running circular motions onto Seulgi’s stomach, while the alpha ran her fingers through her dark locks. There is nothing like being apart for more than a week to finally be able to make love to your significant other after what feels like way too long. Now, all they had to do was bask in the afterglow.

 

“I missed you, Rene. It felt like too long since you had to go out of town for work.”

 

The alpha honestly missed her omega like crazy. She never really was so into someone that she wanted to know how their day was, or what they were doing, how they were feeling. Irene really did change so much for her and Seulgi finds herself glad to have this incredible woman in her life. She wants to make sure Irene knows how serious she is about her.

 

“I missed you too.” The raven smiles, and gently touches Seulgi’s chin before placing a soft kiss to her lips. “I couldn’t wait to get back here to be with you, Seul.”

 

“Now you’re here.” She wrapped an arm around the shorter woman tightly. “I have you all to myself for a while, right?”

 

“Hmm, yes you do.”

 

Irene feels like she could just fall asleep now with how comfortable Seulgi is. She closes her eyes and everything, close to sleep with the way Seulgi is holding her and the warmth of the alpha’s body. She was almost asleep until she heard Seulgi speaking.

 

“W-What?” Irene practically shoots up from her arms in alarm.

 

“I said I wanted to marry you, be your wife, sire your pups.” That part is said in a very sweet way that under normal circumstances wouldn’t have alarmed Irene. She is sort of staring wide-eyed at Seulgi for so long that the alpha is worried she might have said the wrong thing.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

Irene avoids her gaze for a bit and that worries Seulgi. Her girlfriend never does this and so Seulgi lifts her face upward so that they can look at each other. Irene calms down only because of the concerned look in those pretty monolid eyes. 

 

“What’s wrong?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter