silver screen beauty

ginger mishaps
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

C H A P T E R  T W O

silver screen beauty

-

Hyukjae doesn't see Donghae again during the weekend. He tells himself it wasn’t because he was actively avoiding him: how could he when he didn't cross paths with the other at all the entire time? Sure he left his room earlier than usual and came back later too, but that was purely coincidental. He isn't avoiding him. Hyukjae thinks if he repeats it enough he'll believe it.

 

The man doesn't even understand why he's acting this way. It wasn't like he was shy to flirt with attractive people, he's had his fair share of girlfriends and boyfriends. In fact, just last semester he was dating Lee Jieun from the nursing department, the girl crush of every man and woman on campus. But for some reason, Donghae is different. He's quiet, painfully oblivious to how gorgeous he is, and from how he cried at the state of the kitten he found, has a heart of gold too. 

 

If Hyukjae was a tier person, he wouldn't have this internal battle. He'd just ask him out, fool around with him for a month or so, then dump him when it gets too serious. But just the thought of those brown eyes glistening in tears because of him felt so wrong. He doesn't want to break his heart, so he keeps his distance. It was in the best interest for both of them.

 

Which is why when Hyukjae's sitting at the common kitchen island counter this morning having a bowl of cereal, he almost chokes when Donghae pokes his shoulder from out of nowhere. The boy watches him in concern as Hyukjae dissolves into a coughing fit, milk threatening to fly out his nostrils. He passes him a box of tissues while apologizing.

 

"It's okay. You just surprised me," Hyukjae says, avoiding the younger's gaze. "What's up?"

 

Donghae sits on the stool next to him. "I need a big favour," he whispers. The older wills himself to look up at the serious expression on his face. "Ryeowook and I have an event to attend for freshmen this afternoon, and no one's available to take care of Lucky."

 

Hyukjae raises an eyebrow. "Lucky?"

 

"The kitten. I thought the name suits her," Donghae explains shyly.

 

The man scoops a spoonful of cereal into his mouth and thinks. He didn't really mind, it wasn't like he had any classes or plans with friends that day. "But I'm allergic though."

 

"Which is why I said it was a big favour. I really don't have anyone else to ask for help," Donghae suddenly stands up. "Please. I'll do anything to repay you," he bows almost 90 degrees, causing Hyukjae to fluster.

 

"Y-you don't have to do that. I'll do it." 

 

Donghae stands back up, a big grin on his face. "Really?!"

 

"On one condition."

 

 

"For some reason, this suits you."

 

Hyukjae glares at his roommate. He repositions his grip on the bottle as the tiny kitten continues ling. Donghae had given him a detailed list of everything he'd need to do for the five hours he'd be gone. Hyukjae had to cross his heart and promise he'd follow it to a tee just so the younger would leave his room. He has to feed her every hour, the milk has to be a specific temperature, and he even has to stimulate her to poop by rubbing her tiny with a wet wipe like a mother cat would with her tongue. Yesung came in around the fourth hour, eyes almost bulging out of its sockets at the sight of a kitten in their room. 

 

("Congratulations?" 

 

"Don't even start, Yesung.")

 

"What time's your date?" Yesung asks.

 

Hyukjae gently puts Lucky back in her box and makes sure the heat pack is still warm. His allergy makes him sneeze once again. He grabs another tissue from the almost empty box to blow his nose into. "It's not a date." 

 

Yesung scoffs as he sits upon his bed to look at his roommate. "You asked him to watch Parasite with you. Just the two of you, alone."

 

"And?" Hyukjae gets off the bed and moves towards his closet. He takes off his shirt and scans for something nice to wear for the night.

 

"That's pretty gay, bro."

 

Yesung's quick enough to block the balled-up shirt flying to his head. Hyukjae can only sigh, tuning out Yesung's laugh as he grabs a black graphic t-shirt and a leather jacket out of his closet. He changes into them and fixes his hair in the mirror. "Soon. He should be coming back in a few minutes," he says as he styles his green bangs artfully. 

 

One thing Hyukjae's learnt from having bright hair was that most clothes will make him look painfully eccentric. So until the dye washes out, he's stuck with wearing only monotone colours. In the mirror, he sees Yesung slide off the bed and approach Lucky's box on the floor, curiously opening the lid to have a look. He takes his cologne and spritzes a couple of times on his neck above the collar of his jacket.

 

"You know, you say it's not a date, and yet you're wearing that leather jacket"

 

Hyukjae turns to look at Yesung, who's eyes were still trained on the sleeping kitten. "What do you mean?"

 

Yesung finally meets his gaze. "Don't play dumb with me. I know you only wear that jacket to impress."

 

Hyukjae can't stop the flush from creeping up his neck to his cheeks. He opens his mouth to protest but a knock on the door interrupts him. He flips Yesung the bird at his all-knowing grin as he stomps to the door. Ryeowook's small smile and Donghae's anxious face greets him on the other side. 

 

"Is she okay?" Donghae asks, Hyukjae not missing the way his eyes try to peek into his room over his shoulder.

 

He moves over as Yesung walks up next to him with the box. "Lucky's fine," he says as he hands the box back to its owner. 

 

Donghae opens the lid and all four boys peer inside. Lucky slept peacefully, her still folded ears twitching in her dreams and a small pink tongue poking out her closed mouth. A faint purring rumbles from her small body as she rolls over, round belly full of milk and pink toe beans exposed for all to see. They all simultaneously coo at the sight.

 

"Thanks for taking care of her," Ryeowook says. He flashes the older pair a genuine smile for the first time. At the corner of Hyukjae's eyes, he sees Yesung freeze. 

 

They exchange a few parting words before closing the door. Donghae tells him he'll quickly get ready for their movie and to meet him at their room in half an hour. Once the door closes, Hyukjae shoves Yesung's shoulder. 

 

"You like Ryeowook!”

 

Yesung shoves him back harder. "What?! No, I don't!"

 

"Don't play dumb with me," Hyukjae gives the older man a taste of his own medicine. "Last time you froze like that was when Siwon winked at you during orientation--"

 

"Shut the up!"

 

Hyukjae yelps as Yesung tackles him to the ground, fingers digging into his torso to tickle him. He tries kicking the man off of him to no avail. Yesung pins him on the floor with his entire weight as Hyukjae's laugh turns to screams of pain. They hear a loud voice outside their dorm room before the door is slammed open by Heechul. He looks at the pair on the floor for a second, then throws his body on Yesung, crushing the both of them.

 

"Yah, Kangin, come in! We're turning Hyukjae into a pancake!" Heechul hollers out into the hallway.

 

Hyukjae starts freaking out harder when Kangin and Shindong appear at his doorway with a mischievous smile. Yesung screams from above him. "Don't you guys ing dare--" The breath gets knocked out of his lungs when the two burly men stack themselves on top of the pile while laughing.

 

Hyukjae, once again, regrets with every fiber in his being that he willingly chose to live in the dorms. 

 

 

His hands are sweaty as he knocks on the dorm door. He was nervous beyond belief. He had no idea what overcame him when he had asked Donghae out to watch Parasite with the tickets he won from ice-breaking as compensation for taking care of Lucky. He had never been that bold before when asking anybody out. Hyukjae mentally slaps himself. It's not a date, it's just two bros hanging out, Hyukjae tries to reassure himself.

 

The door swings open, and Hyukjae's greeted by a small boy with blonde hair. Ryeowook looks up at him with a noticeable scowl on his face. The older man can't help but feel intimidated even though he's almost a head taller than the other.

 

"Hyukjae."

 

"Hi, Ryeowook."

 

"Donghae's getting ready. He'll be out soon."

 

"Oh, uh, okay. Thanks, Ryeowook."

 

He has no idea why he feels like he's dealing with the parent of a date he's picking up. Ryeowook is three years his junior and yet he's terrified of disappointing him. They stand facing each other for an agonizing minute in silence before Donghae's head pops up over Ryeowook's shoulder. He gre

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter