Midnight Whispers

Midnight Whispers

Mondays are not what Yu Yan would classify as a nice day. Yu Yan had a back to back shoot and has only gotten 4 hours of sleep in the last few days. 

Just today, Yu Yan had to miss a dance rehearsal with Lisa Lǎoshī. Thankfully, Chengxuan is an angel packed in a small body and retaught her the steps. 

Determined to get the steps right, Yu Yan kept pushing herself, which resulted in a terrible stomach ache. 

Yu Yan was when dragged to her next shoot.Yu Yan could not decide which event was more stressful. Reliving a terrible childhood memory of drowning, with this water shoot or fainting on camera. 

Swallowing her fear and clinging on to the pool float for dear life, Yu Yan forced herself to complete the underwater shoot. 

By the time Yu Yan got back to the dorm. She is cold, tired, and too exhausted to cry. Instead, she settles for wrapping herself in pajamas, a pile of blankets, and a little wolf plush from Diamond. Holding the small wolf closer, Yu Yan quickly fell into a dreamless sleep. 

 / 

Diamond finally finished her night shoot and has never been happier then when IQIYI has given the trainees a full day off. Making her way around the 7Senses dorm Diamond wishes the girls goodnight. 

Diamond only gets with a chorus of murmurs and half attempted waves as a reply. With Jiaqi curled into the smallest ball resembling a fox, Eliwa with her arm dangling over the side of her bunk, and Tako mumbling. Diamond feels her heart swells with endearment for her members. 

After doing a final sweep of the 7Senses dorm room, Dimond quickly grabs a bag of popcorn and swiftly sneaking out, and heads towards Yu Yan’s room.  

/

Yu Yan jolts awake, gasping for air, and covered in a cold sweat. Trying to assess her surroundings and calm her breathing, Yu Yan slowly starts to identify familiar objects in her dorm; a blanket, empty beds, letters from fans, polaroids of friends, and a discarded stuffed wolf caught in her blankets. Still unsure of reality, Yu Yan slowly remembers her dorm mates were no longer there. Making her feel even more isolated than before, all at once, Yu Yan is hurled back into the nightmare. 

Yu Yan doesn’t even hear the knock at the door. All Yu Yan can comprehend are gargled sounds and the sound of water smashing against the edges of the pool, while her lungs burn as she tries to find air. 

“I’m coming in, okay?” 

At the sound of a new voice, Yu Yan winces. Her minding begins fighting between flashbacks and reality. Diamond cautiously makes her way towards her girlfriend, trying her best not to increase her anxiety, and gently pulls her in for a hug and places a kiss on her forehead. 

“Yu Yan?” 

Yu Yan recognizes that voice. She would find that voice in the crowd of 109 trainees if she had to. Determined to focus on the voice and arms wrapped around her, Yu Yan summons all the energy she could after an exhausting day. Yu Yan gradually begins to register a strong heartbeat, a soothing voice, and warm arms around her. 

“Come back to me Yu Yan.” 

Yu Yan mentally starts to count to ten while listening to Diamond’s heartbeat. Gradually the haunting images of the water engulfing her fade. 

“You are safe. I won’t leave you.” 

Diamond isn’t sure if Yu Yan can hear her, but years of being a leader. She has learned no one gets left behind, especially not someone you love. Her encouraging words start to slow when she starts to feel Yu Yan breathing even out and two arms slowly wrapping around her waist. 

“I love you, you are safe, I will protect you.” 

At those words, Yu Yan rewards her girlfriend by burying her face in the crock of Diamond’s neck, gently nuzzling the space there. Giving her a light squeeze, Yu Yan inhales Diamond’s scent and lets out a content sigh. As Diamond starts to pull back she receives with a quiet whimper and two arms squeezing her tighter. 

“I heard you forgot to eat today, collapsed in practice, and even tried to persuade your team to let you continue. Aiya, Yu Yan, please take better care of yourself.“ 

Yu Yan gives her a slight nod and a pout while reaching for Diamond’s arms to hold her again, making Diamond chuckle. 

“I would very much like to have my famous girlfriend alive and well by the end of this show. I brought you some popcorn, how about you eat and maybe you can tell me about your day?" 

Yu Yan knows her voice sounds hoarse and beyond uny right now, so instead of answering. Yu Yan carefully leans up, pressing a kiss to Diamond’s jawline. Diamond, in turn, tilts her head down, gently nuzzling Yu Yan’s cheek before smiling and closing the gap.