Wednesday In a Café

Wednesday In a Café

Yuxin had always hated fame. If it wasn’t for dance and her fans, she would have quit long ago.

Like all the previous times Yuxin would sneak out of practice to find homage in this café, the smell of fresh baked goods, coffee, and the welcoming chatter between customers wrapped around her like a comforting hug.

Unlike all the previous times, a new barista caught her eye. Yuxin strains her eyes to focus on the name tag that reads Kong Xueer in neat handwriting. Pretty. Yuxin decides to spend her time in line carefully, studying Xueer’s side profile.

Silky long auburn locks cascaded down her shoulders in a cute ponytail. A white button-down hid behind a cream-colored apron, with blue jeans. Her auburn fringe was parted and curled cutely in the middle pleasantly, framing her face; her lips a striking red.

The subtle hum from Yuxin’s phone draws her gaze away from the beautiful barista. Multiple text messages greet her on her home screen, each one reminding her about upcoming schedules and dance practices.

“Good Afternoon! What can I get you, Miss…?”

Startled by the sudden voice Yuixn, sheepishly sends Xueer a smile and slides her phone back into her pocket.

“Yuxin, you can call me Yuxin, my name is Yuxin…”

Yuxin mentally kicks herself at her complete lack of composure. It is almost comical how her fans see her as a charming prince on stage, and here she is dumbfounded in front of a beautiful stranger. An attractive stranger named Xueer nonetheless, who seems to have no idea she’s talking to a pop star.

Xueer’s face instantly brightens at Yuxin’s cute introduction, followed by a quiet snicker before being muffled by her hand, shoulders slighting shaking before composing herself once again. Yuxin finds it endearing how her dorky introduction can make Xueer smile.

“Nice to meet you! Can I get you anything?”

“I’ll have a chai, please.”

“Good choice for a winter day. I’ll have it out in a few minutes.”

“How much is-“

“Don’t worry about it is on the house.”

Xueer sends her a wink, and Yuxin tried her best not to melt into a puddle. Yuxin sends her a grateful smile before shuffling off to the corner seat of the café near a window.

/

Yuxin shyly gazes at Xueer from across the room and watches her as she gracefully makes her way around fellow baristas, espresso machines, and toasters like a well-choreographed dance.

The sound of laughter tugs Yuxin from her thoughts; she looks up to see a woman slightly taller than Xueer with an ebony bob that curled slightly to highlight her jawline, joyfully teasing Xueer as she writes something on a cup sleeve.

“Aiya, Xu Jiaqi stop teasing me or I’m calling Lingzi.”

“Fine, I’m just happy to see you this giddy. I can’t remember the last time a customer swooned over you or a time when you swooned over a customer.”

Yuxin sees Xueer lightly swats at Jiaqi before taking a deep breath to relax before maneuvering herself from behind the counter over to her set.

Strangely Yuxin fell like she was walking as her heart rate started to pick up and flutter in her chest.

“Here’s your chai, hope you enjoy it .”

Yuxin quickly snaps out of her daze and is greeted with soft brown eyes, auburn colored hair, and a shy smile.

“I- a thank you, Xueer.”

Yuxin tenderly reaches for the cup in Xueer’s hand and accidentally brushes against Xueer. Yuxin almost yanks her hand away from the electric current that runs up her spine.

“Anytime, Yuxin. I hope you come back soon.”

The sincerity in her voice was something that Yuxin hadn’t heard since before her hectic days of scedules.

“I-”

When Yuxin had finally found the courage to make eye contact with Xueer, she was already on her way back to the counter. Yuxin couldn’t help her fondness from growing with everything Xueer does. That is until Yuxin looks down at her cup sleeve and notices a phone number with a cute snowflake next to it.