of all the months we tried to feel

of all the years we stood there
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If there was one thing Mina had pined for except for older and married women out of her age – it was the school sports festival. It was her heart’s delight to see gorgeous women – married women in all honesty – being in their school, maybe the only one she didn’t like is that they were literally tending to their children.

It gives out weird motherly vibes towards Mina – that’s the reality, our protagonist is just dumb.

Every year, their school commence a sports festival as to give students a break from studying much oppose to the school festival Mina was used to back in Japan. There wasn’t much great difference, however, in Mina’s opinion there is.

As now that she had her toppling over Yeji’s mom – clearly a difference. Both Mina and Yeji are currently out in the sun along with other students as their sports festival is starting with its opening program commencing right now directed towards both students and parents who are standing on the side cheering for their children. It wasn’t that hard to spot Yeji’s beautiful mom in the crowd who is sporting a grey wide leg pants and a white top tucked into it pants.

Mina is swooning right now.

“Could you not eye my mom while I’m here beside you?” Yeji deadpanned earning Mina’s attention who crossed her arms in response, “Maybe if your mom’s not the woman I currently love to bed – I wouldn’t”

There was a horror flashing in Yeji’s eyes, “I swear to the ing devil who threw you up, I’ll castrate you!”

“It’s me. I’m the devil, ” Mina rolled her eyes while Yeji continues to mirror a mortified expression and Mina doesn’t want to have her best friend having a midday aneurysm so she opted out to change the topic, “Where’s your bottom, by the way?”

“My what?”

“Girlfriend” Mina answered earning an eye roll from the latter beside her, “She’s busy tending to her class. I mean, why couldn’t she tend me? I’m her girlfriend not that whole classmates of hers”

“Forgot I asked”

Yeji threw her friend a glare, “Why the are you like this? Were your parents cursed or what?” the Japanese lass rolled her eyes in disbelief, “Having you beside me right now somehow makes me believed they were really cursed”

“I’m snitching on my mom” Yeji deadpanned earning a sigh from Mina and forcing out a constipated look from the older, “We should look for that bottom of yours, don’t you think?  We definitely should”

Before the two can even move out from their spot, a sudden familiar figure flocked into their way – it was Yeji’s brother grinning towards Mina which made it so not familiar. Mina raised her eyebrow in inquiring manner towards the latter and that’s when she sees a seemingly food bought from the cafeteria being passed down to her hand.

“Are you hitting on me, ?” Mina asked maintaining her arched eyebrow and earning a laugh from Hyunjin, “No offense, you’re pretty much my sister” the man answered.

“What’s this for then?”

Hyunjin motioned a coughing lad little away from them, which is definitely shooting looks to Mina that made her thankful that she’s gay right down to the core, “My senior from club asks me to pass it on you”

“I prefer home cook food” – of your mother – but of course Mina is still not ready to be banned from entering the twins place so she opted to cut out the last part. Mina deadpanned placing back the bought snacks into Hyunjin’s hands, “And tell your senior I’m taken”

“You are?” the twins chorused and Mina shot her best friend a look which obviously was received by the latter. Yeji cleared , grinning awkwardly, “Yeah, she is. Try saying hello to mom, we’ll just go to the bathroom and we’ll follow afterwards”

Yeji informed before they hurriedly walk over back towards the floor where Jisu’s classroom in. Evidently avoiding the guy who was coughing earlier and seemed to be healed from its cough as Mina walked past over not even shooting the guy a glance. They arrived at the floor quickly and Mina humored, “Watching other people is not my kink, Ye”

Yeji rolled her eyes while they walk towards the hallway trying to find Jisu, “Is this the thank you I get after saving your ?”

Mina let out an eye roll as they continue to stride towards the floor of her friend’s room, “I think I get couple more of saving before I say thank you because of you using my name as an excuse every time you decide it’s a bloody sunny day to have with your girlfriend” Yeji winced at the mention of her piling up debt which is in all honesty the truth.

Mina’s just been aware recently of her friend’s scheming when she accidently bumped on Nayeon the other day on the grocery mart. Why did she bump to Nayeon at that mart? Because God decided it was cute to me over.

She let out a grumble remembering how clueless and hopeless she’s going in with these feelings that started to pool on the pit of her stomach.

“You think I really should date?”

“Who? My mom? Oh, god, no”

“Why not?”

Yeji gave her a look, “It’s not included in my fantasy to call you step mom”

“I’ll ignore the implication that you were having some fantasy about me” Mina let out a shake of head walking ahead of her friend who started screaming her name in disbelief mixed with disgust.

Their friendship really becomes questionable sometimes.

 

--

 

“Oh, here you are two. The food is about to become cold”

I’m in Heaven.

Mina smiled and Yeji gagged internally seeing that too overly bright smile of her best friend who was offered by the home cooking of her mother. Mina sighed internally, thinking that her guardian angel could finally give up its misery and take her wherever because her life’s been fulfilled already.

This is what happens when you’re gay and useless.

“I haven’t seen the two of you playing” Nayeon inquired, smiling towards the two and Mina caught those eyes and was about to smile back when she immediately noticed the diversion of the older.

Alright, not going anywhere.

Yeji answered for them with filled with food, “Oh, I’m sitting out this time, but you’re playing, right?”

“Yeah” Mina answered shortly while Yeji seemingly did not notice the sudden shift of her friend’s mood. Yeji hummed, continuing her words, “Well, that’s what you get when you lose in a child’s play”

“Now, I did not lose in that child’s play” Mina snickered who received an eye roll as a response to Yeji, “Oh, you definitely did. Wanna hear, mom?”

“Hey!”

Nayeon chuckled before nodding her head, “I’ll be glad to. What happened?”

Mina swallowed her sandwich immediately, “Nothing, Mrs. Hwang” Mina uttered sending a glare towards her best friend while the mother of her best friend definitely did notice the sudden change of addressing.

Nayeon cleared , throwing a glance towards the Japanese lad who fully ignored the older, “Now, there seem to be something”

Yeji let out a huge laugh remembering how stupid her best friend was, “She lost into a hockey game, well not lost because of points. She was getting overly competitive and when she hit the hockey it flew over our professor’s head and now Miss Yoo have a humongous red mark in her head”

“You hit a professor with what?”

“In my defense, she’s not supposed to be standing there with her head out like a target”

Nayeon chuckled, “You’re supposed to slip it in the goal”

“I did!”

“You did not” Nayeon laughed seeing the annoyed features of the younger. Mina let out a grumbled, switching her glare towards her friend, “I bet a moving target sounds fun, right Yeji?”

Yeji gulped seeing the menacingly smile of Mina as she immediately swallowed her food and stood up, “I’ll buy some drinks!”

And Yeji was off and Mina was used to on awkward instances with Yeji’s mom but this awkwardness seems to be something new as the older is purposely avoiding her gaze. Mina cleared before uttering, “This is good. What’s in it?”

“U–uh, tuna, and some vegetables” Nayeon quickly answered, focusing her attention somewhere else but Mina. The Japanese lass nodded her head, “That’s very vague”

Nayeon quickly glanced before muttering, “What is?”

“Ingredients, I mean. Vegetables could be your meaning of some oregano and dried basil leaves” Nayeon softly chuckled and this was able to put Mina at a quick ease before the sudden awkwardness surged again when the older woman avoided Mina’s gaze once again, “So, how’s our sport festival?”

“It’s fun, I suppose. I get worried about my twins but it’s nice to see them having fun”

It’ll be nice if we’ll be the one having fun.

Mina nodded her head, “They are doing well”

“That’s nice to hear” Nayeon replied once again and there’s another surge of awkwardness again when the older woman avoided Mina’s gaze once again and every time Nayeon does it – Mina felt a crack somewhere in her body.

So, Mina who wasn’t gifted that much of a patience decided to drop the elephant in the room, “It’d be nice too, to–” before Mina can even continue her wordings, a sudden figure appeared behind Nayeon who holds too much resemblance towards the twins.

“Oh, here you are. I’ve been looking for you”

“Oh! When did you arrive? You could’ve sent me a message”

Mina felt a blockage in watching these two figures in front of her. Nayeon finally glanced at her but it wasn’t something that Mina would want to have – the older woman motioned towards her, “This is Yeji’s best friend. The one she’s been telling you about”

“Oh! Hello there, I’m the father”

Mina forced a smile taking the offered hand of the man, “Nice to meet you too, Mr. Hwang”

Is it okay to pray away the straight?

 

--

 

Just like Mina’s previous prayers which are the ones that haven’t been heard – she ended up spending time with this divorced couple with the woman that she’s been pining for acting all married with its ex husband. Not that Mina can blame the woman for she’s painfully aware that they did spent time under a roof before and that feeling must be hard to shake off.

But it seems with Mina giving up on prayers and now, summoning a demon came Yeji’s arrival who quickly took notice of her best friend’s sour mood.

Good riddance.

“Oh, D–dad, you’re here!” Yeji uttered awkwardly seeing the murderous aura her friend is letting out.

The man grinned, “How could I miss this? Where’s your brother?”

“Somewhere probably ting” Yeji answered.

Nayeon gave her daughter a look, “Language, young lady”

It seems even Yeji’s demonic appearance is not going to save Mina’s disappearing will to live but rather the sudden bell and announcement of the competition she’s going to join. Mina quickly stood up, giving the Hwang’s a friendly smile to which Yeji intercepted as death’s greeting, “I’ll be going now, Mr. and Mrs. Hwang. I’ll see you later, Yeji”

Before Nayeon can even utter anything – Mina was already walking away with Yeji praying for whatever deity that could be listening that her friend wouldn’t kill someone else in the competition because Yeji doesn’t feel like dragging a corpse.

“Is she alright?” Yeji glanced towards her mom who had a worried look on her face while she internally sighed, “Yeah, she is” –she’s just jealous.

Yeji continued, “I’ll go on the front to support her. You guys wanna come?”

“I’ll watch the things. You should bring your mother over” Yeji thanked the heavens that her dad is somewhat a lazy bum as she gleefully took the offer, dragging her mom towards the make shift rink the school had made for their sports festival.

“What is she going to do?”

Yeji hummed, settling in her seat, “Rhythmic gymnasts. She’s good with it since she’s been doing ballet for eleven years” she glanced towards her mother who had its expression basking in astonishment upon hearing one of Mina’s profound skills.

“That’s amazing” Nayeon hummed earning a proud nod from her daughter.

Soon enough the competition started with several competitors making their own distinct move trying to win approvals from the crowd as the impact on audience is a huge part of the criteria but it seems it’s a landslide win with just the mere announcement of Mina’s name came across a shout of mix applaud and boos.

“What’s wrong?” Nayeon worriedly asked to which Yeji uttered a response of, “Our schoolmates’ kind of doesn’t like her since she’s way too good at things”

Nayeon sighed, “High school”

“I hope she doesn’t kill them”

“What?”

“Nothing, mom!”

 

--

 

“I swear to God” Mina murmured as she slammed her clothes down to her duffel bag – seemingly frustrated from way too many things but mainly on her jealousy of Nayeon’s ex husband to which she honestly cannot do so much about.

She slings her bag and was met with her best friend on the doorway who jumped on her, “Don’t kill people. It’s alright”

“Ye, you’d be the first one if you don’t release me” Mina uttered in smile to which resulted from Yeji grinning proudly and tapping her best friend’s shoulders, “It’s okay, Mitang. You still did well even if you accidentally threw the ball on me”

“I was aiming for your father, but glad to see you breathing” Mina deadpanned earning a dramatic expression from Yeji, “You cannot kill him! Or me! I’m your best friend”

“Guess I better make sure I aim properly next time” Mina murmured while they started walking in the hallway towards the exit of the locker rooms. Yeji gasped pointing her finger towards her best friend dramatically, “You’re evil!”

Mina rolled her eyes, “The whole absurdity of our friendship isn’t solely by me, thank you”

“Absu–what?” Mina sighed hearing her friend struggle with words to which she redirected the topic before Yeji started malfunctioning, “Aren’t you suppose to be with your parents?”

Mina internally felt stab wounds uttering that word.

“Oh, mom asked me to get you”

“Get m–what?”

Yeji shrugged, “Haven’t I told you that you’ll be getting food with us?”

“No?”

“No?”

“Yeji!”

“What?” is the last shout of frustration Mina was able to utter as the next hour was spent with her squished between the twins and the following was not any better. She ended up being squished once again now, not only by the twins but also the laughter of the divorced couple in front of her.

Mina wouldn’t actually mind it if this woman wasn’t the one she actually loves to take into dinner. Now, at this point not only it’ll be Mina’s sorry that she’ll take with but our miserable protagonist might resort into turning a nun.

I guess it’s me and Mary.

“Thank you for being a good friend to this troubling daughter of mine”

It’s not helping Mina that Yeji’s father is an actual embodiment of Christ himself which makes it hard for her to hate the man itself which left her to put her rage into stabbing her food subtly – Yeji can very well notice the hard slices that goes into the plate.

Mina put a smile into her face, “It’s not trouble at all, Mr. Hwang”

“I hope she’s not bringing you any headache at all because in my case she did it everyday” the man chuckled while Yeji protested in a whine. Mina chuckled, “She’s not bringing me because she’s the walking headache herself”

“Mina!” Yeji whined earning laughter from the people on the table while Mina felt her insides becoming repulsive from how ty she’s acting. Jealousy really does it for people.

Mr. Hwang smiled before excusing himself a quick trip to bathroom to which Hyunjin followed along leaving the three ladies which resulted into an awkward air. Yeji cleared and was about to stand when she yelped in pain upon feeling a foot on her foot.

“Are you alright?” Nayeon inquired, throwing her daughter a worried look.

Yeji smiled in poor attempt, “Y–yeah, I thought there was a bug, it was just the table cloth”

“Squeamish” Mina uttered to which Yeji shot a glare.

“Jealo–” Yeji’s words were caught in a fake laugh when Mina grabbed her fork casually and she knows that her best friend wouldn’t hesitate to stab her so Yeji opted to choose a safe life.

“Were you saying something?” Mina asked with a smile that Yeji knows it’s either she prays to the God or summon any other entity that could potentially save her. Yeji uttered quickly, “Nope! I’ll just go in the comfort room”

Mina would really stab her best friend.

An awkward air had surfaced that have been going on every since Mina met the fine lady at the sports festival and she’s no dumb but she really couldn’t figure out how this awkward air had suddenly existed between them.

Mina was so sure it was – It is .

“Did you have a good time in today’s event?” Mina felt like banging her head from how stupid her question is. Nayeon smiled in return, wiping her lips from the nonexistent remnants of wine, “Yes, it’s nice to see you kids doing well”

Well, now I feel like jumping off a building.

“Yeah, well festivals are fun since it’s a rare day where there’s no actual schooling” Mina uttered in response while feeling a huge clot in , “It’s also nice since parents are invited in it”

Nayeon nodded her head, “Yeah. Speaking of, I haven’t seen Yeji’s girlfriend”

“Oh, she was busy tending to her classmates, that’s why. We actually went off to try and see her but she’s unavailable” Mina explained while the older woman hummed in response, “You were also tending to your suitors” Nayeon tried to pass it off as a teasing statement but the way her voice had shaken definitely gave it away.

And Mina was too busy malfunctioning to even say anything in response that all she could do was stare at the older woman in front who was also busy lecturing herself in her head.

Guess, we could say they are both malfunctioning.

 

--

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter