It started with a purple towel and a little bit of confidence

I wrote a song about us and I hope you like it

Did I come far?

The road that seemed far away

Sometimes I didn’t feel like I was myself and couldn’t breathe

Past days and the wind tries to wrap around and comfort me

 

"Text me when you get home, Sinb-ya~" Yerin blew a kiss before laughing at the way Sinb grimaced at the latter's poor execution of cuteness.

"Ew okay enough, i'll text you when I reach home so stop pouting." 

Just like that, Sinb exited from the cafe, causing Yerin's demeanor to dampen. Eunha, her other co-worker could only sigh at the lovesick puppy that was infront of her. "What would I do with you?"

"Hey, I'm older than you!" Yerin retorted to which Eunha raised a brow at.

"You don't seem like it everytime Sinb is around."

"You- You don't get it! It's a soulmate thing! You'll understand it once you find yours!" Yerin let out a huff and walked away to serve a new customer that just walked in.

Eunha fell silent and looked at her ring finger with a small inking that wrote, 'Choi Yuna'.

Where are you, Yuna?

"Would I ever find my soulmate?" The bobbed haired girl whispered and looked at Yerin with crestfallen eyes.

Yerin stamped the espresso powder and slid the portafilter into the machine before pressing the power button. She gave Eunha a cheery look and said, "Of course you will, Eunha. You are just 24 years old what are you even talking about?"

Problem was, most of the people in the society usually found their soulmate in high school or in university. Back in her high school years, there was at least a couple born everyday. Eunha hadn't think much about it then, but when her friends started to find their soulmates from their classes or after school clubs, Eunha could help but start to wonder when she would finally bump into her soulmate. 

Eunha had thought that maybe fate would bring them together in university. It didn't. Eunha dropped out after repeated failures of her modules.

Yah Choi Yuna, until when would you finally show your face?

"I was thinking..." Eunha gluped, "what if my soulmate is dead? Then, i'll never get to meet them and i'll die a lonely soul." 

Yerin poured the readied espresso shot into the glass filled with milk before facing Eunha and giving her a flick on the forehead, earning a yelp from the latter.

"Can you and your imaginations stop running wild during work hours and help out with managing the cafe here? There are dishes to be washed, tables to be cleared and coffee beans to be refilled into the machine. Its not that far off from the closing time so if you could make yourself useful here, we could go home quicker and I can have more cuddle time with my baby Sinb." Yerin gritted her teeth.

"Okay fine sheezs, lovebirds these days..." Eunha rolled her eyes and dragged her body to the washing bay.

"Ms Yeojeli!" Yerin called across the now almost deserted cafe.

"Okay I didn't mean to put it across that harsh, but Eunha, you must trust what they called Fate. Also, the chances of being soulmateless for life is not even 5%. Keep your hopes up and you might one day find your soulmate. Patience is a virtue, remember?" Yerin looked at Eunha whom just grumbled but nodded her head.

"Uh..." 

Eunha and Yerin turned to the owner of the voice. The owner had a baseball cap angled to purposefully cover the top half of her face. She had a curvacious body, and a pair of astonishing long legs. Eunha would kill for that height. Eunha eyes travelled back up and noted, the customer infront of her had reddish plump lips. To be even able to kiss it... is to die for.   

"Oh, here's your macchiato!" Yerin cheerfully handed over the drink to the customer.

She smiled at Yerin and replied with a curt, "Thank you." In that moment, Eunha wished to be able to be in Yerin's shoes. To be the one that the smile is for, to be the one hearing the simple yet melodic 2 words. Eunha might have felt the flutters of a butterfly in her stomach and her heart racing to be in Yerin's position. Maybe she felt a ray of hope that the angelic fellow infront of her might be the soulmate she was waiting for. This feeling was so fresh, so raw, that it made Eunha feel a little mystifying. Eunha snapped back from her trance just as the girl walked away from the pick up counter and shook her head. Why am I thinking of such weird things?

Eunha found herself unable to tear her eyes away from the new customer whom had now made herself comfortable and pulled out a few pieces of paper and a pencil. The girl sipped on her order and stared out of the glass window, whilst playing with her pencil with her right hand. 

Eunha could see the contemplation in the girls eyes, taking note of the outside world from the inside of a warm cafe. Eunha's breath hitched when the customer paused, a smile graced across her face for a brief 5 seconds before scribbling something down on the paper.

"Are you going to stop staring or what?" 

"W-Wh-What-" Eunha snapped out of her stupor and quickly continued scrubbing the plates. Her face flushed for she had been caught eye-ing a customer.

Yerin gave a teasing look and whispered, "You like her don't you?" 

"N-No.. shut up, Jung." 

Yerin ignored the fact that Eunha was calling her informally and probbed, "C'mon, I've known you FOR YEARS, and no one has made you look this bad of a flustered mess other than her." Yerin subtly gestured to the customer who had her hands busy with writing down something. "Wait a minute, are you hoping that she might be the one you are looking for?" Yerin narrowed her eyes.

Eunha fiddled with her right ring finger. "Maybe...? I don't know..." Eunha mumbled and continued with the dishes.

Yerin patted Eunbi's shoulder and gave a comforting smile. "Maybe you should talk to her? And maybe try to see the name on her ring finger. Who knows, it might be yours that is written." 

"It's probably not a good idea." Eunha said as she neatly placed the cleaned dishes on the rack. Out of the corner of her eyes, she could see the lips of the girl's turning downwards, almost as if into a frown and the girl furiously cancled out something on the paper.

"Wait... you said something about Fate right? Do you think that if she was my soulmate I would bump into her again?" Eunha asked hopefully.

"Definitely. But who knows when is the next time that could happen." Yerin shrugged.

They heard the chair screeched and turned to the source of noise, only to see the woman stuffing the papers and pencil into her bag before hastily walking out of the cafe.

"Well... I guess it's a goodbye." Yerin sympathetically patted the back of her friend's and got ready to clear the cafe for the day.

***

Don’t you worry worry worry

When you’re walking on this road

Put yourself at ease, so this night is seen clearly

You’re the only only only

Even if your everything leaves

Don’t let go of this moment

This night will drive me home again

 

Yuju stared at the camera intently as she striked a pose with the lipstick she was endorsing. A few shutter sound was heard, accompanied by a few flashes that shone on the model. Yuju tilted her head to the side and lifted the lipstick to her jaw. Another few shutters were heard, and the same flashes that followed.

Seeming satisfied with the photos, the photographer called Yuju to take a look at his masterpiece to which Yuju nodded her head at with a satisfied look.

"The photos turned out great! Yuju, you might want to take a break while your makeup artist will work on the next shade." The photographer said and ushered Yuju to her waiting room.

Yuju heaved a sigh of relieve and closed her eyes. No matter how many years into the industry, she would ever be able to get used to the glaring flashes that never seem to cease. Don't get her wrong, Yuju love her job depite the lack of sleep at times and she would never trade it for anything else, but recently she hasn't been feeling the kind of spark when she's doing her job. 

The higher-ups in her company was starting to question her about her comeback date. Yuju just haven't found anything equvilant to be her standard of a title track although she had already written at least 10 songs to be the title track. Maybe Yuju needs a vacation to give her some fresh ideas, but her hetic work schedule isn't allowing her to do so. She had another photoshoot the next day, a soundtrack recording in 2 days, followed by a duet song with her labelmate for a drama series and company's meeting about Yuju's plans for 2021 in a few days.

She made a mental note to ask the higher-ups for a vacation sometime soon.

"Yuju, up in 5 minutes!"

Yuju groaned. So much for a vacation.

***

Eunha hummed along with the soft piano renditions of Yuju's songs that was playing in the background as she cleaned up the remaining plates and cups. Yewon really has a knack for creating beautiful masterpieces even if it is just a cover. Eunha proudly complemented in her head. 

Yewon is Eunha's best friend from highschool. They did the same course, went to the same club and graduated highschool together. Yewon managed to secure a place in a prestigious university after applying with an interest in pursuing piano and had since went to a flowerly path of being a pianist. She has garnered a massive fan base and have managed to put her name out in the music industry. From creating classical music pieces on her own, to collaborating with music producers to create songs for idols and dramas, to occassionally uploading piano covers of popular songs, Yewon got it all covered. 

"Yewon's so nice for sending us a private copy of her unreleased covers to play in this cafe," Yerin said as she too hummed along with the tune. 

Eunha giggled. "Yeah, I wonder why isn't she releasing all her Yuju's covers on Youtube. They are too good to be kept privately." 

 "I guess maybe they are exclusively reserved for us and us only." Yerin playfully bumped her shoulder against Eunha's and winked. "Friend privilege y'know?"

"I must have saved the world in my previous life to be friends with Yewon," Eunha played along. She went back to the washing bay to wash the remaining cups and plates, still humming the tune of the song.

The two of them hummed along to songs after songs as they busied themselves with tidying up the cafe. "I just realised, it's been quite a long while since Yuju released anything." Yerin spoke up, breaking the silence.

"Yeah, it's been like what? A year?" Eunha questioned, as she placed the washed dishes on the drying rack.

Yerin drummed her fingers against the countertop, waiting for Eunha to finish up so that they could take the subway together. "I wonder when she would make a comeback, A year is unlike her." Yerin wondered out loud.

"Agreed. But she isn't that inactive actually, she's just busy with her photoshoots and fliming drama. I guess a comeback isn't able to fit into her schedule the past year. Yuju writes and plays a role in composing her music, with all of that going around her is unlikely that she would have time to sit down and write lyrics." Eunha inputs while drying her hands on the apron before hanging the apron up on the rack. 

"Hmm...  oh yeah 'Venize'! That was such an amazing drama, Sinb and I watched it every week during it's air time. The visuals, the cinematography and the plot were so good..." Yerin continue to rant excitedly as Eunha went back the 'staff only' door to retrive her belongings and to switch off the machine that had been playing the background music the whole day.

"'Venize' did deserve all the hype. Yuju really potrayed Go-jin's character well despite being new in acting. I was entranced by her acting then." Eunha gushed as she flicked the lights off.

The duo headed out of the cafe and locked the doors before walking in the direction of the subway, falling into mindless conversation about Yuju.

"One would think we know Yuju so well, but it's the complete opposite isn't it?" Yerin chuckled.

"We don't even know her real name or her soulmate's name. She just manages to conceal her personal information so well. But how?"

"Bruh, most of us have two names. One for official documents and is kept among close friends while the other is a front we chose. Like for me, my real name is Eunbi but I go by Eunha. Only you, unnie prefer to use your real name for everything." Eunha rolled her eyes.

"It's easier! I see no need in having two names." Yerin argued.

"Idiot. You know how everyone is so deep into this soulmate inking thing that some are willing to tattoo names over their actual soulmate's and pretend to be a soulmate of yours. Didn't you have your fair share of these people that inked your name over their soulmate's and pretended they were Hwang Eunbi, Miss Doll-rin?" Eunha sneered.

"Well- that's true-" 

"Exactly. That goes the same for Yuju. Especially that now she is a reowned artiste. If she revealed her name and soulmate's name, there would be over a million people going to her and claiming that she is their soulmate. That would be scary for her isn't it?" 

"But most artiste either reveal their real names or share their soulmate's name on broadcast in hopes of finding them. Some even do both. Yuju... she never reveals her real name or ever remove the band that secures around her ring finger. That's some top secrecy there."

"Maybe she just likes to keep an aura of mystery around her." Eunha shrugged and the topic was dropped. 

***

A certain someone stared at the dark cafe, void of any presence inside. She leaned her head against the headrest before signalling to go. 

"So they close at 10pm...

I guess it's a next time then." She whispered, looking at her writing materials before chucking it away.

***

 

Smoke doesn’t make me feel good

I miss the night I ran and drank with you more

Still with you

But I cannot find my way

I start to even forget my way back

 

Exactly 10 days, 22 hours and 31 minutes since Eunha last saw the tall girl. Eunha was getting tired of waiting for her, but yet she cranned her neck once more to see if a mircale could exist. There was a heavy snowfall outside and the roads were going at snails pace. There was not a single human walking down the snowy road, well maybe there was a few but these people were bracing the heavy snowfall to be able to head home in time.

Eunha was more than sure that today wouldn't be the day that she would enter the cafe. Heck, there was not even a single patreon in the cafe due to the snowfall outside.

"Maybe... she just wasn't 'the one'." Eunha sighed despondently and traced her fingers over the inked name. 

Yuna-ya... just when?

Tik Tok... Tik Tok... 

Finally Eunha sighed and leaned her small body frame against the counter. 

Funny how Eunha was mocking Yerin for acting like a sore puppy when Sinb has to leave her side a few days ago, but now she was the one acting like a love-struck puppy.

"Whipped." Yerin snorted as she walked by the counter, holding trays of freshly baked desserts to be displayed.

"I heard that! And no, I'm not whipped!" Eunha glared at Yerin.

Oh, how the tables have turned.

"Rightttt... as if I would buy that lie. It's so obvious how you purposely take more shifts at the counter and you would whip your head excitedly to look whenever someone enters the cafe, only for you to frown when it's not 'her'. If that's not whipped, I don't know what else is." Yerin teased as she refilled the display area. 

"Urgh... Can you just- I don't know, go make out with Sinb or something? Leave me alone." Eunha groaned and rubbed her face.

"Fine... since you gave me a pass go... I'll help myself to Sinb~" Yerin winked at Eunha and walked back to the kitchen, cackling to herself while Eunha lazily threw a towel at her.

"You don't have to expose your love life so shamlessly!"


Clink!

Eunha whipped her head towards the door. The all too familiar baseball cap that covered the top half of the face and the to-die-for voluptous figure was right in the cafe again. This time round the woman seemed to have been caught in the heavy snowfall for her clothes and coat were all wet. Eunha noted that the woman paid no mind to her situation as she was engrossed in talking on the phone.

"Yeah, yeah I got it. I'll make my way home once the weather seems slightly better."

"..."

"I don't know. Nothing just seems right. The lyrics, the melody, everything! Don't seem to fit nicely."

"..."

"Look, could you just buy me a little more time for the title track? I swear I think I have found my inspiration."

"..."

"Right, I will! Thank you! Good night!"

The customer shut her phone and make her way to the counter. She stared at the menu before saying, "Could I get a hot chocolate and a sweet potato cake?"

"Uh... excuse me?" The customer waved her hands infront of Eunha who had seemed to space out.

Eunha snapped back from her trance and cleared , her cheeks flushed from getting caught at staring at the girl. She hastily grabbed a black marker and a cup. "R-Right... I'm sorry.Your order again?"

The customer gladly repeated her order to Eunha.

As per the cafe's protocol, Eunha shyly asked, "Uh... can i have your name?" even though Eunha knew exactly what the customer's name would be. 

"Excuse me?" The customer blankly asked.

"I-It's for the drink," Eunha quickly clarified. She heard a soft 'oh' from the customer before the latter spoke, "Yujurgini."

So it's just another nickname huh....

The customer extended her hand to pass an exact amount of cash to Eunha. Eunha felt her body jolt as their hands brushed past while handling the money. It felt almost as electrifying and Eunha's legs almost gave way.

Oh god her hands are so smooth!

Eunha kept her composure and kindly directed the customer to take a seat while waiting for her order before turning around to prepare the order, barely containing the smile that was slowly spreading across her face.

"Yah! Why are you smiling so creepily?" Yerin asked the moment she came out of the kitchen and saw Eunha.

 "She's here," Eunha replied with a hum, her eyes not taking off the cup filled with cocoa as she swirled the milk into the cup, the image on the hot chocolate showing a heart shape. 

Yerin whipped her head over and let her eyes dart from one corner to another, barely containing a teasing grin when she spotted the familiar silhouette with her pencil and paper. "Awww.... Someone's a happy little bunny," Yerin cooed, receiving a pout from the bunny. 

"Shut up, just let me enjoy a little longer," Eunha huffed and placed the customer's order on a tray before calling for her. 

The customer jerked her head up and looked at Eunha before scrambling across the cafe and muttered a small thanks with a small smile before scurrying back to her seat with her order. 

Eunha froze in her spot, earning an amused face from Yerin. 

74... 75... 76...

"Did-Did she just smiled at me?" Eunha gasped before turning to Yerin who was counting how long it took for Eunha to regain back to her senses. Yerin nodded with a smirk and Eunha did a few mini jumps on the spot. "Oh god she's such an angel. My poor heart can't handle the light around her. Unnie, help what should I do?" Eunha whispered harsly before clutching her chest in a dramatic way.

Yerin could only roll her eyes before walking into the 'staff only' room. "Don't be so dramatic." 

Eunha scrunched her face and followed Yerin, while retorting, "Hey, you were worst than me when you first saw Sinb. You almost came into your pants-"

Yerin tossed a purple towel at Eunha's direction, her face turning beetroot before stuttering, "S-stop mentioning that, and you should give her this towel to dry herself up. She looks like she's shivering." Eunha whipped her head to the direction Yerin was indicating and saw how the customer was occasionally putting down her pencil to rub her hands together while breathing on her hands or snuggling into her coat for more warmth.

Eunha remained mum as she gingerly help the purple towel in her hands. Eunha would like to approach the customer that had caught her eye, but deep down she knew that if this person was not her soulmate, there is no way their relationship would work out- if they ever decide to be in a relationship. Eunha doesn't want to experience such pain.

"Yerin, I don't think she's the one. And you know relationships with people that are not your soulmate would bound to fail." Eunha looked down. Yerin reached out and engulfed the pitite body into a hug. Before Yerin could say anything, Eunha spoke out again. "I just love her too much to even want to hurt her when her soulmate arrives into her life."

"I'm here, Eunha. Everything would turn out just fine. Just trust me with this and go with the towel. And help yourself with a peek at her ring finger. It's all about the gut feelings."

Eunha pried herself way from her hug and sighed, "Anything for love right?"

Yerin crinkled her eyes into cresent moons and gave her two thumbs up, "Anything for love."

***

 

Don’t you worry worry worry

When you’re walking on this road

Put yourself at ease, so this night is seen clearly

You’re the only only only

Even if your everything leaves

Don’t let go of this moment

This moment will not be over

 

Eunha felt herself halting in her steps when she was almost near the customer's table. The customer paid no attention to Eunha as she was too engrossed in writing something on the slightly wrinkled piece of paper, the hot chocolate and sweet potato cake left untouched for a while. The way the customer furrowed her brows together when she paused at her writings and re-read them, the pout she unconciously make when she was focused on writing and she occassional short sigh that escaped her lips left Eunha awe-strucked. 

Eunha would probably never get back to her senses if not for the customer raising her head upon noticing a presence that hadn't seem to leave for a while. 

"Uh... may I help you?" The customer quirked an eyebrow.

Eunha's jaws dropped as she stammered out, "I-I-I... uh... h-huh?"

The customer tilted her head in confusion at Eunha's bewildered expression as she waited for Eunha to regain her bearings.

"Y-Yu-Yuju?" Eunha wheezed.

The customer named Yuju flinched and froze upon realisation that she had just blown her cover. Hastily adjusting her cap and looking back down, Yuju cleared , "Ah... I think you got the wrong person." 

"Eh-h... You are definitely the singer, Yuju." Eunha managed to croak out. She unconciously fumbled with the towel on her hand before remembering what she was here for. Eunha passed the purple towel to Yuju. "Uh-uh- I-I saw you shivering from the snowstorm outside... here you go, please dry yourself and if it helps I could increase the temperature of the heater." 

Yuju stared at the outstretched hands before looking at the nervous Eunha. Slowly, she took the towle from Eunha's hands and gave a small smile to Eunha. "Thank you..." Yuju trailed off and saw the name badge on Eunha's chest. She cleared  and repeated, "Thank you, Eunha-ssi."

Eunha gave the biggest and goofiest grin to Yuju. "Your welcome, Yuju-ssi." Eunha spoke and turned back to walk to where Yerin was, barely containing her whole composure together.

Upon entering the 'staff only' door, Eunha excitedly shook Yerin. "CAN YOU BELIEVE IT, THE CUSTOMER WAS YUJU ALL ALONG OH MY GOD I THINK I MIGHT PASS OUT SOON." Eunha scream-whispered at Yerin.

Yerin just let Eunha release all her excitement on her for she was too stunned at the sudden turn of events. When the both of them calmed down, Yerin slowly turned to Eunha and said, "Eunha, you really hit the jackpot. You really might have saved the world in your past life."

***

Yuju dropped the pencil she had been holding for the past hour. She had made alot of progress after Eunha had given a towel and  the heater. She had a great feeling that the lyrics would perfectly fit the title track. She stretched her tired body and looked out of the window. The snowstorm seemed to have die down a little. But the traffic hasn't had much progress. She would have to take the subway home in this case since there is no way her manager would be able to fetch her in this weather. She lazily grabbed the phone that have been left unattended ever since she arrived and her eyes bulged when she saw the time. She jumped to her feet and gathered her writing materials at lightning speed, the towel on her neck sliding off and falling onto the ground.

Oh     it's already 10 15

As she packed, her eyes landed on the sweet potato cake and the supposedly hot chocolate that was still unfinished. She grabbed both dishes and the towel and headed to the counter before ringing the bell.

Eunha emerged from the back and gave a small smile at Yuju who smiled back. "How may I help?" Eunha asked.

Yuju scratched her head. "Ah... the drinks and food here are really good.. just that I got too engrossed in writing that I forgot about these two." She gestured. "Could you help me pack the sweet potato cake? I'd like to eat it tomorrow." 

"Sure!" Eunha chirped and took out the box and gingerly placed the half-eaten cake into the box before handing it back to Yuju.

"And uh..." Yuju called out to Eunha who tilted her head.

"I'll return to you the towel next time. I feel bad to return to you without washing." Yuju rubbed her nape shyly.

Nope, this isn't excuses to visit this cafe again.

"Actually, it's fine-"

"No, I insist." 

Maybe I am giving myself excuses.

"Oh, sure." 

"Oh, before I leave... it's a little embarassing but aren't you going to ask me for an autograph?" Yuju blushed.

Eunha stared blankly at Yuju, frozen on the spot,  opening and closing but no words was formed.

Yuju seeing Eunha not replying started to ramble on, "Y-You know like framing up my autograph in the cafe? I don't know. Whenever I visit a cafe or restaurant, those store owners who notice me will ask one from me. I mean it's is absolutely fine if you don't want it but I thought maybe you would like to have it since it's way past your closing time and I have imposed too much-"

Eunha chuckled at Yuju's cuteness. "We don't usually like to disturb idols who come here. We'll just leave it up to them if they want to sign. But if it makes you feel better, I could always get the board right now and get you to sign." Eunha offered.

Yuju heave a sigh. "Right that would be great. Thank you, Eunha-ssi."

With a hurried bow, Eunha quickly retreated back, her face turning red at how smooth her name rolled out of Yuju's mouth. 

I wouldn't mind if she could call me by my name a million more times.


After making sure her face was back to the normal shade, she grabbed the wooden board and marker before heading out. She handed Yuju the marker and held the board with her hands so that Yuju could sign properly. 

Yuju uncapped the marker and bended down to address the cafe, she paused in her actions when she saw Eunha's right ring finger. 'Choi Yuna' it read. Yuju felt her breath hitch, unable to take her eyes off Eunha's ring finger.

Eunha on the other hand raised her eyebrows in sheer curiosity when the artiste infront of her had frozen in place. "Yuju?" She called out.

Yuju jolted back up in shock. "H-Huh?"

"You froze in place." Eunha let out a soft giggle.

"Ah..." Yuju sheepishly rubbed her nape. "Right I was thinking on what to write and may have almost dozed off before you called me." Yuju lied.

"Oh, right, we could do this next time. Rest is important even for a public figure like you."

"No!" Yuju raised her voice slightly before lowering it. "I'd like to sign it now."

"Alright. If you say so." 

Eunha held the board in place and Yuju quickly wrote a short message to the cafe before signing in an eloquent manner. She pretended to add a few more words as she quickly took a look at the mark on Eunha's finger. 

"All done." Yuju lifted her head up and capped the marker back, her eyes trailing on the tattoo.

"Thank you Yuju-ssi. For the autograph and your words. Yerin-unnie would be happy to have gotten your autograph." Eunha thanked and bowed.

"It's no problem. Thank you for the things you have done today. The towel and the heater... I really appreciate it." 

"Your welcome," Eunha beamed at Yuju whom hastily bowed once more and started to head out of the cafe.

"Oh and Yuju-ssi?" Eunha called out in the moment, causing Yuju to pause in her steps and turn around.

"Have a safe trip home."

***

[02 15]

She tossed and turned for the umpteen time, her mind still plagued with the inking that was on Eunha's ring finger. She sighed and decided that sleep was not going to come soon. She sat up and flicked the lamp on, her eyes staring at her own inking.

'Jung Eunbi'

"Is that you whom I've been looking for?" She whispered softly, as if afraid that someone might have heard her.

She leaned back against the headrest and let her mind wander around, which ultimately led to the thoughts of the bubbly, adorable and short cafe worker. 

She would have been lying if she said Eunha hadn't caught her attention when she first stepped into the cafe. She couldn't explain this phenomenon, but she felt as if the universe aligned when she first saw Eunha. If she was going to describe the feeling, it was as if she was immediately drawn into the woman, her surroundings turned silent and it felt like there was only the two of them living in the moment. 

She immediately got to writing with the new found feelings later.

Yuju's eyes opened and grabbed the phone laying beside. She mindlessly scrolled through her contacts until she spotted the contact she was looking for. With a few taps, the call was made.

"Hello?" A crystal clear voice greeted.

Yuju sighed in relief. She hadn't expected the call to get through, especially during the wee hours of the night. "Hey Yewon." Yuju greeted.

"Oh Yuju-unnie! What brings you to call me?" Yewon chirped.

"Oh, nothing much... am i imposing you?" Yuju asked as she fiddled with the edges of her blanket.

"Nope,  I couldn't sleep earlier so I'm taking a stroll in the park right now."

"Ah..."

Yewon waited for Yuju to follow up with her statement, but there was only silence on the other end. Without the occasional rustle, Yewon would have thought Yuju hung up on her. "Do you want to talk?" Yewon pipped.

"Yes..."

"What is it about?"

"It's uh..."Yuju trailed off.

"You remember the cafe you recommended to me?" 

Yewon demeanor lit up. "'Starry Coffee' right? What about it?"

"You said your friend are the founder. By any chance, do you know the worker that has short hair and has a height about yours and looks as adorable as you?" Yuju held her breath.

Yeown let out a soft laugh. "Awwww, Yuju-unnie why are you so smooth," Yewon cooed, to which Yuju let out a soft 'Shut up Yewon, just answer me'.

"Okay, Okay. You mean Eunha-unnie?" Yewon asked.

"Yes," Yuju confirmed.

"She isn't the founder. Yerin-unnie is. Eunha is Yerin's friend and she just works there. Eunha-unnie is my friend from high school." Yewon explained.

"Ah..."

"Yewon ah, can you answer me this question?" Yuju asked.

"Sure, what is it?" 

"Is Eunha-ssi by chance, Jung Eunbi?" 

"Yes."

Yuju let out the breath she was holding in. "Yewon ah, you just confirmed that Eunha-ssi and I are soulmates."

"You are that Choi Yuna?!" Yewon let out a screech.

"The one and only Choi Yuna," Yuju confirmed, her eyes b with happy tears.

***

Under the moonlight brighter than the street lamp

The day that flew by cutting through the wind

Will I be able to pass by yesterday’s me?

When the day comes, it becomes too faint to see

It take so long, seems like it’s tired out

Wander around without a destination

And your voice is heard

 

"So you are saying after I left the cafe Yuju-ssi gave you her autograph because she felt like she imposed too much? And she said she would wash the towel before returning?" Yerin summarised Eunha's story, her jaws gaping, while carefully holding the board with Yuju's autograph.

Eunha happily nodded her head. Yerin quickly regained her composure and cleared . "You know what this means?" Yerin asked with brows raised.

"What?" 

"It means that Yuju-ssi will return to the cafe!!" Yerin squealed at Eunha. "I swear, at this rate you two are meant to be!"

Eunha slowly absorbed Yerin's sentences and when she finally understood, she grabbed Yerin's arms and squeaked, "She's coming back?" before dramatically fainting. Yerin could only laugh in sheer amusement before grabbing a ladder to hang the precious autograph on the walls of the cafe.

***

In the large meeting room sat the CEO, team manager, manager, music producers and a few other event planning members. The atmosphere was far from solemn, but had an aura of formality and seriousness as they discussed Yuju's plans for 2021.

"Yuju, I've heard that you are done with the title track. With that, would you like to share what would you like the theme for this release to be?" The CEO clasped his hands and directed his focus to the singer.

"Ah... it is true that they," Yuju gestured to the music producers infront of her, "under my request and directions, have completed the melody and tune for the song. All that is left is the lyrics of the bridge and final chorus, which i am still working on, Sir." Yuju polietly updated the CEO.

"The theme would be a sad ballad. The lyrics holds a meaning of the feeling of lonliness and then finding comfort in someone. Im talking specifically about Soulmates." Yuju finishes.

The CEO perked up upon hearing the word 'Soulmates'. "This is a very interesting inspiration you have. I'll look forward to hearing the final version." The CEO nodded in approval.

"With that, I would like Yuju to update the team immediately when she has finished writing the remaining lyrics. We will discuss your album preparations by then. Meeting adjourned." The CEO declared and the rest of the team stood up and bowed.

***

Yuju sat in the backseat and despite her calm composure, her mind was in a nevous wreck. She gripped the purple towel in hand and once again imagined Eunha right at the cashier.

Uhm, Eunha-ssi, here's the towel-

No that's so lame of you, Yuju.

Eunha-ssi, here you go-

What the hell, Choi Yuna, you sure can do better than this.

Yuju ruffled her hair as she scream internally. 

How hard is it to even return a towel?

Apparently, it's really hard to Yuju.

"We're here," Her manager annouced as she stopped the car.

Yuju snapped back and smoothen out her hair before muttering a quick 'Hwaiting'.

"Thank you Sowon-unnie," Yuju thanked before getting out of the car, not before checking that she had wore her disguise consisting of a cap and mask.


Clink!

"Welcome to Starry Cafe!" A lively voice resonated, welcoming Yuju.

Yuju observed that there were still quite a number of patreon in the cafe, despite it being late in the night. She quickly scampered to the counter and was greeted with Eunha cheery desposition. 

"Oh Yuju-ssi, hello again!" Eunha greeted in a softer tone, which Yuju was grateful for. The latter obviously didn't want the whole cafe to know that she was here, she'd like some privacy and alone time as a normal being.

"Hello..." Yuju polietly greeted back and scanned the menu that was right above Eunha. 

Eunha sharp eyes caught the purple towel in Yuju's grip and pointed out, "Oh you kept your promise and washed the purple towel."

"Ah yes... here." Yuju looked at the towel in hand and had embarassedly handed it back to Eunha.

"What would you like to have today?" Eunha asked once she had quickly ran back to the room and kept the towel safely.

"Uh...." Yuju was definitely spolit for choice. The drinks here were too good and Yuju had no idea if she would like to have one of her previous orders or to try something new.

"What's your favourite drink here?" Yuju asked and Eunha almost choked on her spit.

Is Yuju-ssi lowkey hitting on me?

"It's caramel frap," Eunha said, feeling slightly confident that there may be a slight chance that the latter might have an interest in her.

"I'll get that please," Yuju nodded and paid for the drink. 

She walked to the same seat she sat the other day and quickly took out her writing materials and her earbuds. Over the past few days when she was travelling to and fro from schedules to schedules, a little embarassed to say but she had been imagining how Eunha would be as a soulmate.

Would she be the one I could seek comfort in?

Would she be the one to hold me when I break?

Am I in turn able to provide her the love she deserves?

Many thoughts ran through her head and she took time disecting how she thought and felt with these questions in mind. She had used her phone to record down some keywords here and there, but one thing that stood out really clear had been this message: Yuju admits she seek comfort in the shorter's presence.

She had hoped to finish the lyrics by today, with the help of the melody already in place so that she could get ready to record the song and let Eunha be the first to listen. Maybe then, she would finally profess that she was indeed Eunha's soulmate and had wrote this song about the both of them. Oh, if everything goes well, she may even ask Eunha to feature-

"Yuju-ssi?" 

Yuju shot her head up and saw that Eunha had already placed a tray with her drink and a tart and a few macaroons. She removed her earpiece and tilted her head at Eunha. "I called you but you didn't hear," Eunha pouted and sat infront of her.

"Is that so? I'm sorry for troubling you..." Yuju bowed.

"It's alright, it happens sometimes." Eunha dismissed the singer.

Yuju looked at the tray served and furrowed her brows in confusion. She pointed to the other plate and asked, "I didn't ordered this though?"

"It's on the house," Eunha winked.

Yuju's heart nearly melted into a state of frenzy. "O-Oh if that is the case, thank you Eunha-ssi," 

"Your welcome! Also, youu can drop the formalities, it's a little stuffy don't you think so?" 

"Yuju for you then." Yuju reasoned and Eunha nodded excitedly, happy that there was more progress between them.

"Alright Yuju, I would not disturb you further. I hope you enjoy the desserts provided," Eunha got up and smiled at Yuju before heading back to her cashiering duties to attend to another customer.

Yuju stared at Eunha's back for a while longer, before shaking her head and looked at the desserts infront of her. She took a bite and was amazed at how perfect the tart ratio was. Feeling a little more refreshed, she replugged back her earpiece and focus on the task she had.


On the other hand, Eunha was feeling proud that she hadn't gay-panicked this time round and had managed to strike up a conversation with Yuju. She hadn't managed to take a look at the inking on Yuju's finger for Yuju still kept the band on the finger, but she was nonetheless happy that the singer looked receptive of Eunha.

It's the baby steps that counts.

***

Yuju listened to the tune and sung the lyrics out in her head. There were pauses here and there as she tried to rectify some awkward parts in her lyrics. At last, she had managed to sing the whole song out in her head without any feeling of awkwardness for the 4th time. Seemingly satisfied, she picked up her phone and dialed the CEO.

"Hello Mr So, sorry to distrub you at night but I'm very happy to deliver this piece of news personally." Yuju cheerfully greeted and went straight to the point.

"What is it, dear?"

"I've completed the lyrics and ready to prepare for my comeback."

"That's a terrific news, my dear. I'll update the rest tomorrow and we will schedule a meeting day."

After a few exchanges of pleasantries, Yuju hung up the call, feeling satisfied with the results. Making sure she still had time to spare in the cafe before it's closing hours, she spent the remaining time endulging in the sweet treats that had been abandoned for a while, savoruing each bite. She made a mental note to buy some of their desserts for her friends next time.

Out of the corner of her eyes, she had spotted Eunha collecting the plates and mugs on the tables, softly singing with the piano music that was in the background.Yuju allowed herself to be drowned with Eunha's surprsing ability of singing. Her vocals, although not as powerful as Yuju, it was honey-like and had a hint of softness to it. Yuju found herself getting more attracted to Eunha, if that was even possible by then.

Yuju still can't believe she met her soulmate here. As someone who grew up in the entertainment industry, she had kept her inking a secret for fear of getting conned. She had lost all hopes in properly meeting her soulmate until she met Eunha. 

Now that she finally found the one after years, she vowed to protect Eunha at all cost. 

***

'Hey, Eunha," Yerin called out one evening. The younger hummed in response and continued with preparing an order. Eunha may not seem to show any form of emotion, but Yerin's sharp eyes noted how Eunha has became livelier during her work hours, her eyes twinkling every now and then and she has stopped groaning during work hours. All of this was the cause of that singer. 

Yerin was about to continue until she saw more customers flooding in and she heard a delivery order sent to the cafe. She swiftly got everyone's order, sliding the mugs and receipts to Eunha and some other workers whom got ready to prepare the orders. Yerin may be busy with taking down the orders, but out of the corner of her eyes, she had spotted Eunha preparing the drinks with a small smile on her face. 

To that, Yerin raised a brow. Now that's something new.

Yerin shook her head and made sure to continue her conversation with Eunha once the evening crowd subsided. But for now her focus would have to be dealing with all these hangry patreons.

***

"You found your soulmate?! And you want her to be in your new music video?!" The CEO exclaimed wide-eyed.

Yuju shrank back in the leather seat and meekly nodded her head. 

The rest of the team who was involved in planning Yuju's comeback had stared at Yuju in shock.

"I mean... I haven't told her that her soulmate is me, but i would love to profess that to her soon. And if all goes well, I would certainly like her to be in my music video. This is a song about Soulmates after all, what is better than showing my soulmate in the music video?" Yuju tried to reason.

"i-I'm not saying that you can't... but you should have told us sooner...  you are being a little reckless right now." Mr So looked at the singer.

"Look, you said that your soulmate is an ordinary worker. To feature her in the music video could cost her privacy. She literally could be an overnight star and what about some of your obsessive fans? Surely they wouldn't take this news well and you know what happens after that," Mr So clarified.

Yuju stayed mummed and shrank further in her seat. Right, how could she not consider this very important fact?

The video producer cleared his throat and gestured everyone to relook at the slides he had created. "Based on what I have shown earlier, we could still keep the couples. If Yuju gets her soulmate to agree, then instead of this ending, we could show the both of them together and show their inkings." He quickly adjusted to Yuju's sudden request.

"But that does not exactly address the privacy of Yuju's soulmate. And you said to show their inkings, then everyone would know both of their real names. How are you going to address this issue?" Mr So eyes gazed at the video producer.

"What if we both put on those fake skin on our ring finger and tattoo our nicknames on it. I could go by my stage name and she could go with her initials. She doesn't have to exactly show her face in my music video, maybe just give her a disguse and the public would get a hint." Yuju pipped.

The rest of the staff quickly noted it down on their sketchbooks and looked back at the CEO for approval.

The CEO clapped his hands in finality. "I guess you are right. I want an outline of the music video, the locations and shooting dates, all done within the start of next month."

"The music production to be done by that timing too," He added. 

The meeting was quickly adjourned and Yuju finally heaved a sigh of relieve.

For love.

But now she had to worry about confessing to Eunha and she hoped the latter wouldn't faint on her upon knowing.

***

"Hey Eunha," Yerin attempted to start the conversation again.

Eunha looked up at Yerin. "You seem happier now," Yerin commented.

"Have I?" Eunha questioned with a quizzical look on her face.

"Mmm, you seem to enjoy work more now."Yerin pointed out and teased, "It's because of Yuju right?" 

Eunha blushed and swatted Yerin, earning a small yelp from Yerin. "It wasn't even that painful, quit being so dramatic." Eunha rolled her eyes and purposefully ignored Yerin's question, despite her demeanour slowly turning slightly flustered, her face and ears turning beetroot.

"Hey did you just ignore my question?" Yerin pouted but laughed when she saw Eunha getting redder. "Aww come on, just admit it's becuase of her!"

Eunha covered her face in embarassment and mumbled, "Alright, maybe it's because of Yuju. Please stop embarassing me."

"My baby has all grown up," Yerin cooed and pinched Eunha's cheeks.

"But for real though, I think she is the one," Yerin patted Eunha's cheeks after abusing them.

"How do you know?"

"I just know it," Yerin shrugged.

"That's not how it works," Eunha huffed but looked back at the inking on her finger. She hasn't looked at it ever since Yuju came into the shop. To look at the inking served Eunha a painful reminder that Yuju is probably not her soulmate. I mean, what are the chances that her soulmate is a popular singer?

"Okay Eunha, I see you drowing in your miserable thoughts. let's think more positively." Yerin pulled Eunha out from her thoughts.

"Thinking in a more positive light brings about disappointment when the reality can't live up to your expectations." Eunha mindlessly added.

"You are right." Yerin agrees with Eunha. She gently patted the younger girl on her head and continued, "But look, even if she isn't the one, you know that sooner or later you would fall out of love. You two could remain as friends, isn't it cool to be friends to such a popular singer?"

Eunha huffed and mumbled something incoherent but Yerin seemed to pay no mind and continued, "Soulmates are kind of linked telepathly. Why don't we bet if she would come into the cafe later? If she comes, it means that you two have a link, and if she doesn't come, that's okay too."

"I bet you 10 bucks that she would come later," Yerin gave Eunha a wink and walked off.

Eunha looked at the clock and raised her brows skeptically. It was almost 1 hour to closing time, there was no way Yuju would even come at this timing. Eunha smirked as she realised she would most likely get an extra 10 dollars at the end of the day.

But somehow Eunha was hoping to see a familar figure walk in too.

***

 

So don’t worry worry worry

When you can’t see the end 

Put things down for a while, so this night is heard clearly

 

 

Yuju puffed out warm air in the frigid weather and she tucked her hands into the winter coat she was wearing. She would be recording the song in less that 12 hours and Yuju was getting a little anxious. Before she even realised, she had already walked out of the apartment under this weather to cool off her anxiety. 

It was a normal occurence for her to be nervous before the first recording of her title track and despite the many years of recording for title tracks, she has not gotten used to it. Maybe it was also because this song is definitely more meaningful and hold high importance than the rest that adds up to her anxiety and worries.

Her legs had a mind of their own and although she wasn't good in directions, her legs had brought her to the all-too-familiar cafe without getting lost. She looked at the bright signboard and grabbed the door handle.

Ah... maybe i'll get some tea and tarts to calm my nerves.


Clink!

***

Eunha felt herself rooted to the ground when she saw the familiar figure outside the cafe. It wasn't long until closing time and Eunha was starting to get dejected that maybe Yuju wasn't the one she had been finding.

Why am I taking Yerin's bet seriously...?

But now that the singer was infront of her, she felt her eyes turning a little damp and her heart felt like it was exploding of happiness. 

I think I am that desperate to take Yerin's bet seriously...

Pushing her emotions down, she smiled at Yuju, only for it to turn into a frown when she saw Yuju's terrible state.

"Yuju, are you okay? You look... like you just fought a war without rest," Eunha blurted out in concern.

"Do I look that bad...?" Yuju muttered and pushed her hat further down her face.

Yuju cleared  and tried to look a little more presentable. After all she still have an image to uphold. Quickly smoothening out her hair and rubbed her face to look fresher, she softly asked, "Is there any tea that could perhaps calm me down? And maybe the tart you treated me the other day?"

Eunha frowned at the request. Does she have sleeping problems?

Nonetheless, her concern could be for later. Eunha still had a job to do and Yuju was now her customer. "We have chamomile tea. It helps with reducing inflammation, improving sleep and relieving anxiety and depression." Eunha offered.

"I'll get that."

Eunha confirmed Yuju's order once again before taking payment and gestured her to take a seat.

She heard someone clearing  obnoxiously. Eunha turned to see the smirk on Yerin's face. "You owe me 10 bucks. See what I told you, she came."  Yerin did a small little cheer and hugged Eunha a little too tight for the latter's comfort.

Eunha could only find herself nodding along with Yerin, a feeling of fervent erupted inside her. This was a small confirmation that just maybe Yuju is the one she has been looking for. 

She shooked her head and told Yerin to prepare the tart she ordered while she prepared the tea. When she was done, she was going to call Yuju's name but Yerin stopped her and whispered, 'You should just give the tray to her. She looks a little tired."

"Right..." Eunha nodded, still feeling the euphoria from earlier, which greatly boosted her confidence.

"Fighting!" Yerin cheered with two fist pumped in the air. Eunha had been there when she found Sinb and Yerin hoped that Eunha would finally find her own.


The soft piano music in the background that overtook the cafe, the obvious silence among the remaining few patreons, the soft whirlling from the coffee machine and the clinking of cups slowly lulled Yuju into a comfortable state of inner peace. She swore she could have slept but a soft thud on her table woke her up.

"Oh, Eunha, you didn't call my name. I could have picked it up from the counter." Yuju groggily answered annd rubbed her tiredness away.

"You looked tired, so I just brought it over instead," Eunha answered and set the tea and tart infront of Yuju.

"Do you usually do this to your customers?" Yuju asked and took a sip of the chamomile tea.

"Only reserved for special people," Eunha threw a playful wink at Yuju, almost causing the other girl to choke on her drink.

"I-I'm very honoured to be part of the special group," Yuju joked back and took a bite out of the tart, trying to cover the warm flutters in the pits of her stomach.

The table was quickly enveloped in awkward silence. Despite her years in the industry, attending many different shows and fansigns, she has never opened a conversation with a mere stranger. It was usually the opposite, which caused Yuju to be unable to develop ice breaking skills.

"Unable to sleep?" Eunha asked after watching the tired singer sipping the drink.

"Yeah..." Yuju nodded her head. "It's a normal occurence when I have to record the title track. I always get this uncomfortable feeling in me just right a day before recording. It's always the title track, I'm fine with b-sides or OSTs." Yuju shared to Eunha. 

"You are recording the title track tomorrow? For your comeback?" Eunha gasped, feeling bewildered. A feeling of excitement rushed back and she leaned her body further to Yuju. "You are making a comeback? When? Oh my, does anyone know of it yet?" Eunha fired her questions.

Yuju chuckled at the cute expression Eunha was making unconsiously. "Yeah, I'm making a comeback soon. From what I'm seeing, maybe in the month of Febuary? And you are the first person to know outside of my company, feeling honoured yet?" Yuju answered and threw a teasing smirk.

"I can't believe im hearing such exclusive news in person!" Eunha covered  in shock.

Yuju giggled and leaned in. "I trust you to keep this news to yourself. I'm suing you if you dare leak it out." Yuju hotly whispered in Eunha's ears.

Eunha felt a cool shiver run down her spine, a hundered (dirty) thoughts ran through her mind and her ears slowly turned red. Flustered, she redrew her body and saluted at Yuju, "You have my word that I will keep it to myself!"

"Cute," Yuju commented absentmindlessly and took another bite with a smile. Eunha flailed her arms and covered her feverish face with her hands. "Please, stop teasing me... Yuju-ya," Eunha mumbled, face still burried in her hands.

"You are too cute to stop teasing."

"AHHUSGHDJKDGHJDGHH, pleaseee!!"

"Haha, okay, okay, I'll stop." Yuju said and threw her hands up.

Eunha huffed and sent a glare at Yuju, whom fail miserably at containing her coos and laughter. Why knew that her soulmate was this cute?

The duo fell into a comfortable silence, the awkwardness from earlier had dissipated and Yuju took a big gulp of tea. She definitely felt at ease after drinking the tea. She made a mental note to buy chamomlie tea soon for future uses. 

Speaking of recordings, Yuju suddenly perked up, gaining the attention of Eunha who had been staring at her like a lovesick puppy. Right i almost forgot my promises. 

Yuju rubbed the back of her neck and took a deep breath and spoke before her nerves got the better of her. "Eunha, I was thinking, would you like to be the first person to listen to my new song when I finish recording?" Okay maybe that was more of a rap-

Eunha stared at Yuju long enough, her eyes widened and her jaws dropped to the ground. "Can I?" She spluttered.

"Of course!" Yuju exclaimed, "For special people only."

Yuju threw her head backwards, laughing like a manic after teasing Eunha. Thank god it was late and there were no more patreons in the cafe. If not, Yuju's laughter might have scared away all the customers.

Eunha pouted at the singer who was still laughing her arse off. Thank god you are cute and gorgeous and I have a huge crush on you or I would have neck sliced you. Eunha thought. It took a while, but when Yuju finally calmed down, she sincerely said, "I'd like you to be the first to listen. When I am done with the song perparations."

***


You’re the only only only

When the road gets blocked by thoughts that won’t let you go easily

This night will drive me home again

 

 

"Give me around 2 weeks. On 16 January. I'll be here at 9pm, waiting to unveil my comeback song."

"You make it sound like a cliche date."

"Ah- w-what..?"

"Oh sorry Yuju, I got too excited and crossed the line, I shouldn't have."

"No, no, that's not what I meant."

"Huh, b-but-"

"I would like it to be a date, Eunha."

"S-So, a d-date?"

"Yes, a date."

"It's a date then!"

***


The team in charge of Yuju seemed to be busier than ever. It had been a while since they had planned Yuju's comeback and they were more happy to do so. From contacting various building to casting couples to contacting music shows, variety shows and radio shows, the team worked to give the best comeback plan for their precious princess. 

Yuju has been cooping up in the studio daily, nitpicking at her own vocals, discussing with the music producer on how to sing the songs better, how to convey the message across to the listeners. As the end drew closer, Yuju could not help but to have relieved the sense of accomplishment whenever she had to record for her comebacks. 

She wondered if Eunha would love her songs.



The CEO flipped through the outlines given by Yuju's team. The team held their breaths as he scoured through the contents, marking things along the way. At last, he flipped shut the papers and addressed the team, "I'm quite satisfied with the outline and I don't see any problem with proceeding with the music video productions and photoshoot for album jacket. I'll hold a press conference to say that Yuju would be making a comeback at the start of Febuary."

The team, including Yuju who was there let out a batted breath they were holding. "Oh right, Yuju, would she be featuring?" The CEO asked.

Yuju scratched her head awkwardly. "Ah about that..." Yuju paused, "I haven't managed to ask her yet, but I'll do it soon."

"Alright, keep me updated." The CEO smiled warmly at her.

***

Yerin stared at Eunha, unable to believe what she had just heard. "Yuju asked you out for a date?" 

Eunha' eyes twinkled with excitement and she nodded her head repeatedly. "Yes! She set a date and time to pick me up and I accidentally told her that she was making it sound like a date and she said that she would like it to be a date!" Eunha squealed, failing to conceal the grin on her face that was getting wider and wider.

"I'm pretty sure at this rate Yuju definitely have the hots for you, Eunha," 

"So after that date, you better be coming back into the cafe as taken or I'm firing your ," Yerin commented.

"Why-"

"For real though, so go get that girl!" Yerin cheered, pumping two fist in the air.

***

[January 16,2021]


Eunha donned on a plain white long sleeved shirt and a black pair of skinny jeans. She had initially wore a mini skirt but she knew she wouldn't make it back alive when a sharp wind blew at her the moment she stepped out of her apartment. To make up for the lack of fashion since it is winter, Eunha had applied some light make up on her face. Eunha had prayed and hoped that with this simple outfit, Yuju would still be impressed with her. 

Eunha stepped into the cafe 15 minutes before the set timing and was welcomed with Yerin big hugs. "Aww, my baby is all grown up and is finally going for a date! Good luck girl, if possible, please get laid too!" Yerin ruffled Eunha's hair, which Eunha groan and pushed Yerin away before rushing to comb her hair.

"Urgh what, no way Unnie. No one is getting laid tonight," Eunha firmly told Yerin with a huff. "Though, I really need a ton of good lucks."

With each second ticking, Eunha had felt the nerves slowly creeping into her. Who in the world would be this lucky to have a date with Yuju? Eunha had prayed too that nothing would go wrong with the date. 

"Okay, just keep yourself level-headed, and all would go well. Believe in yourself,"Yerin advised and went back to hugging the smaller girl.

Eunha almost scoffed at Yerin's advice. She was definitely far from being level-headed right now. Apprehensive, would be the more precise word to Eunha's feeling. Yuju hasn't stepped into the cafe ever since that day, which means that this would be the first time they are meeting this year. Excitement was definitely an understatement to how Eunha is feeling towards seeing Yuju again. And a part of the reason why her heart hadn't stopped pounding furiously since last night was because she was eager to hear Yuju's latest release. She would be the first. Of course, another part was because of the nervousness and the butterfly feelings.


The bells chimed, signalling a customer had entered the cafe. Yerin pried Eunha away from the hug, gave the customer a big grin and a hearty wave, before looking back at Eunha. "Your date is here. All the best and have fun!" Yerin whispered and shooed Eunha away.

Eunha turned around and looked at Yuju, who donned on a simple black shirt and a blue pair of jeans. Eunha noted that Yuju did not wear her usual form of disguise;cap or mask. Now, Eunha could definietly see Yuju's face up close and personal without any obstructions.

Damn, she's even more beautiful off cam.

"Are you ready?" Yuju asked and extended her hand.

"Huh?" 

Yuju lifted her left hand, which was holding a few bags of what it seems like late-night snacks. "It's a date. My manager would be bringing us to a special place. For more atmosphere you know."

Eunha smiled at Yuju and took the extended hand. "Right, it's a date! Let's go!" 




Eunha had dozed off halfway through the ride. She had been so nervous for the past few days, mainly overthinking about all the possibilities and outcome of this date and was unable to sleep. Now that she's here, seeing Yuju and with the gentle rocking of the car, it seems that she has drastically calmed down and sleep had finally overpowered her.

Yuju had notted the smaller girl's eyelids were drooping and with a few swift movements She had gently placed Eunha's head on her shoulders and gently patted her to sleep. Yuju had questioned her actions later on, but she realised that it was just a soulmate instincts kicking in to want to protect and give her all to Eunha.

Yuju clasped her hands and closed her eyes and wished for the best in revealing her identity later on.

Just as she opened her eyes, she felt the car slowing to a halt. Sowon turned and looked at Yuju before whispering, "We are here. I'll be nearby, call me if you need anything."

Yuju nooded her head and gently patted Eunha's cheeks. "We are here," she whispered.

Eunha mumbled something and slowly got up. When all her gears were finally working, she blushed upon realising that she was still on a date with Yuju. "Ah.. sorry, I was too tired and ended up dozing," Eunha apologised, suddenly feeling consious of Yuju's stares.

"Are you ready?" Yuju asked for the second time that night, extending her hand for Eunha to grab to.

Eunha slipped her hands into Yuju's and replied, "More than ready."

Within a split second, Yuju had pulled her out of the car and had dragged Eunha to take a seat at one of spots infront of the Han River. Eunha squealed and had to tighten her grip on Yuju's hands to prevent herself from practically floating into the air from how fast Yuju ran. It sure seemed that it was not exaggerated when the others had claimed Yuju was a fast sprinter.

When Yuju arrived at the spot she was eyeing on, she let go of Eunha's hands and the latter place both of her hands on her knees and wheezed. "You... sure... are... a fast... sprinter... like they said..." Eunha panted as she spoke.

Yuju giggled sheepishly and patted Eunha's back. "Sorry, I forgot I run faster than average."

"Apology accpeted," Eunha took in a gulp of air before speaking. Her back straightened and was in awe at the scenery in front of her. "Wow..." She breathed out, "Han River looks more majestic in real life... it's been years since I came here in the night."

"I'm glad I suggested bringing you here to my manager," Yuju spoke, "Let's take a seat here and enjoy the snacks i bought."

Yuju gently pulled Eunha to sit on the bench and took out the different types of snacks she bought. "That's a lot of snacks, are you sure this is supper?" Eunha joked.

"Ah well... I didn't know what you would like so I went around and bought anything I saw." Eunha felt her heart swelled at Yuju's consideration for her. "T-Thank you..." She mumbled and took a bite of kimbab Yuju had placed in front of her.

The duo fell into silence as they ate their snacks while looking over the Han River, the cool air swirled around them mischeviously. Both of them felt as if all their worries and anxiety had been taken away, as they basked in each other's presence and looking over the calm river.

"Hey," Yuju called out.

Eunha whipped her head and tilted her head at Yuju,  still chewing tteokbboki. "You have sauce here," Yuju said and leaned closer to Eunha to wipe the sauce away. Eunha gulped, her heart palpitating and her ears turned hot at the close proximity of their faces. It took all her will power to not smash her lips against the other. She nearly melted when she felt Yuju's soft fingers touching her cheeks. 

Yuju, seeming satisfied that the sauce was rubbed away, looked up and realised their situation. She felt her body reacting in such a way she had never felt before and it felt like sparks flew everywhere in her body. Time froze for a few seconds before Yuju leaped away and cleared . "T-The- sauce- is gone."

"I-I, uh, thank you Yuju," Eunha stuttered and looked at her food, suddenly finding more interest in playing with her food.

Yuju cleared  and whipped out her phone, hastily tapping a few buttons before looking back at Eunha. "Hey, do you want to listen to my new song now?" She asked, hoping that the awkward atmosphere would pass.

Eunha looked at Yuju before placing down her food. "I can't believe I'm having such privilege to listen first hand from you. Sure, what is it about?" She asked.

"Ah, the title would be Night Drive and it is a ballad song," Yuju scrunched her nose before pushing her phone and earpiece to Eunha. "I'll keep the rest a secret for now, just listen and review it." 

Eunha pouted but did as Yuju told, her thumb hovering over the play button. She heard a faint confirmation of 'go on' and boldly pressed the button, her eyes looking up at calm ripples of the river as the first note played in her ears. 

The moment she heard Yuju's voice, she was immediately  into her honey-like vocals. Her surroundings blurred and in that moment, it was just Eunha and Yuju's harmonic voice. Eunha hadn't known that tears had begun to flow down her cheeks until she felt a warm hand wiping away her tears. The hand gently turned Eunha's head and Eunha was facing a pair of concerned orbs. 

The music slowly decended back and with a few more lines from Yuju, the music stopped. Yuju saw that the music had ended and quickly removed the earpiece from Eunha. "Eunha, you okay?" Yuju asked in a worrying tone as she continued to wipe tears off Eunha's cheeks.

"I- Sorry-" Eunha halted Yuju's actions and turned around to wipe of the remaining tears. Making sure she still looked presentable, she then turned back to face Yuju."Sorry, I didn't know what got the best of me..." Eunha apologised in a low tone.

"It's okay, so how was the song? Is it good?" Yuju asked, with worry laced over her tone. She started fidgeting in her seat when Eunha look longer to reply.

"It's perfect, Yuju-ah. I loved the harmonising and echoing at the end, it made me feel as if I was throwing away my inner demons and embracing the meek positive voice that had been supressed for way to long. Maybe the lyrics hit closer to home thats why I unconciously cried. Honeslty, I would play this on repeat non-stop when you release this to the public." Eunha explained and Yuju heaved a sigh of relieve that Eunha enjoyed the song.

"Eunha, thank you for liking this song. Really, this song means a lot to me as much as it did to you." Yuju sincerely thanked Eunha.

"Really? Have you felt this way before? When?" Eunha asked.

Yuju combed her hair backwards before sighing. "I wrote this song about you, Eunha."

"About me?" Eunha asked in shock. Why would Yuju be writing about such a lowly cafe worker? 

"You are partially right about the meaning of the song. It was feeling the desperation, the weakness in you, but all of these problems doesn't seem to exist when the person meets their soulmate." The singer was starting to feel the uncomfortable anxiety sitting right at the top of  but she pushed it aside and continued, "That was how I felt when I first saw you at the counter, preparing drinks. And I felt the same feeling when we met the second time, the third and the fourth. Your presence seem to shut the inner demons in me, brighten my mood and calm me down a lot."

Yuju paused to see Eunha's reaction, and seeing the latter still urging on to continue, she did. "I hadn't know why it happens only with you then, but that day when i was signing an autograph for the cafe... I saw your ring finger." Yuju reached out to Eunha's right hand and caressed the inking. "It read Choi Yuna. And suddenly everything made so much more sense."

Yuju carefully remove the band she had carefully wrapped around daily. It was such a relieving moment to finally let her skin breathe it existence to people. Yuju wished she could one day parade around without needing to cover her own inking anymore. She placed her hands into Eunha's and finished, "Jung Eunbi, I am your soulmate, Choi Yuna." 

Eunha had been silent the whole time Yuju was explaining everything. She looked down and breath hitched when she saw her name beautifully inked on Yuju's ring finger. She gently rubbed the inking on Yuju's finger, her brain still processing the sudden revelation. "You are Choi Yuna...? My soulmate?" Eunha asked in a soft and insecure tone.

"I am." Yuju said firmly.

Eunha upon hearing the confirmation flung herself onto Yuju and let her tears fall freely. "I searched high and low for you, but I never understood why I was never able to find you. I was about to believe that I was soulmateless and then you came with the cap and all. I prayed and hope you were the one everyday," Eunha cried and tightened her hug on Yuju, whom whispered nothing but sweet comforting messages to her.

"There, there, I'm here now aren't I?" Yuju asked, her heart swelling with happiness that her confession had went as well as she thought. She was beyond the moon that Eunha is finally hers and vice versa. 

To be able to spend the rest of her life knowing Eunha is her soulmate, she is contented with life.

"Stop crying please?" Yuju asked and pulled Eunha away from the hug to wipe the tears away before bringing their foreheads together.

Eunha sniffled, her whole body still trembling from the shock, still unable to believe that Yuju had been her soulmate all along. "At this rate, i really must have saved the world in my previous life." Eunha joked and leaned in further for comfort until their lips are almost touching.

The both of them looked at each other's lips, a fire within ignited and none wanted to pull away from this newfound feeling. 

"M-May I?" Yuju breathed out in a husky tone.

Eunha didn't respond, only pulling Yuju in to lock their lips. 

***

I’m fine, I’m good, I’m fine

I’m good enough

Even if tomorrow comes after today, I won’t forget you

 

 

"And... Cue!" The director instructed through the microphone.

At once, the lights in the studio brightened and shone on the singer. There she sat, her bangs parted, her straight hair flowed down her back and wearing an elegant purple dress coupled with a pair of high heels, her drink left aside as she focused on the figure infront of her. The camera emerged behind the figure and focused on Yuju's angelic smile. 

"Camera 2 cut! Lights change! Camera 3 cue!" 

At once, the cameramen capturing Yuju's facial expression ran out of the frame and the lights that was on Yuju dimmed a little. The lights shone onto the figure infront of Yuju as another camera behind Yuju emerged. The figure had a big bucket hat covering more that half of her face and wore a long flowly black dress. A small smile graced over her lips as she lifted her head to look at Yuju.

"Camera 3 cut! Camera 1 cue!"

Yuju and Eunha paid no mind to the noise around them as the both of them were lost in each other's presence, letting the director and cameramen do their work. Yuju grabbed the latter's hands and tighten her hold over it, causing the latter to adjust their hands to a more comfortable position.

"Your hands fit perfectly in mine."

"And I won't mind to hold your hands forever, Eunha." Yuju spoke over the background music.

"You are so beautiful you know?" Eunha whispered, afraid that someone else that isn't Yuju would hear her.

"And you are the most perfect soulmate I could be with."

No more words was spoken as the both looked at their interwined hands, thumb rubbing the back of the other's hands, forgetting that they were still in the middle of recording. 

***

 

A/N: 

Hello! It's been more than a year since I wrote anything. I have been busy with my national exams last year and I was unable to write out anything that was of quality with so much going on around me.

Now that i have some time, I felt like writing another cafe au as a tribute to the amount of coffee that kept me sane and awake throughout the year. My main goal this time round was to make the character's come to life, something more relatable to the audience, hence the amount of descriptions for each scene. 

I hope you have enjoyed this one shot as much as I did writing it. 

My twitter account is royal_buddyy, if you would like to follow me for more updates!

Adios!

-R.B.