We Could Happen

Songs 4 You

Today is Saturday, Mina doesn't have Saturday classes but here she is right now, walking along the campus with her guitar strapped on her back. She's determined, she feels that Nayeon would for sure go out with her after what she's about to do. 

"And you're a hundred percent sure this will work?", Jihyo raised her eyebrow while walking beside her friends. 

Mina nodded, "I'm positive this will work! She'll fall head over heels for sure." 

Momo shook her head, "Mina, you said that last week but she still rejected you." 

"That's true. But I can't blame Nayeon for rejecting you last week though. That was embarrassing.", Jeongyeon added. 

Mina rolled her eyes, "It was an accident! I didn't mean to up!" 

 

–––

 

It was lunchtime and Mina's determined to ask Nayeon out. Some might say they were in different leagues. Nayeon is the cheerleader captain, super popular, and the Queen Bee while Mina, well, she's in a band. Honestly, everyone was surprised the first time Mina asked Nayeon out. It was unexpected. 

Mina was holding her tray while tailing Nayeon, asking her out on a date. She didn't notice that she was about to bump in front of her chemistry professor. 

"Mi–", Nayeon wasn't able to tell Mina that she's about to collide with the professor because it happened quickly. 

Everyone inside the cafeteria has their eyes on Mina and their chemistry professor who's filled with tomato sauce thanks to Mina's tomato pasta. Mina widened her eyes when she realized what happened, "I'm so sorry Mr. Park." 

Mr. Park sighed, "Office. Now." 

Mina nodded but before heading to the office, she faced Nayeon and scratched her nape, "So... After class?" 

Nayeon shook her head, "Go to the office... and you might want to change clothes too." 

Mina looked at her clothes, she didn't realize that she looked messy as well. She pouted before heading out. She failed to see Nayeon smiling at her. 

 

–––

 

Mina and her friends are walking towards Building 2's entrance because it's where Nayeon's class will be. Mina knows because Jihyo is Nayeon's classmate. 

"Okay but how many times have you asked Nayeon out?", Momo asked. 

Mina shrugged, "I don't know. Maybe once or twice each month since November?" 

"It's January now so you've asked her out about six times?", Jeongyeon asked. 

"Maybe? I don't really know.", Mina answered

"You know you still haven't told us why you want to date Nayeon.", Jihyo said. 

Mina grinned, "I'll tell you when she agrees to have a date with me." 

"You've been classmates once and then you suddenly want to date her.", Momo said

Mina shrugged, "It is what it is."

They reach the entrance of Building 2 and Mina hopes Nayeon hasn't entered yet. "I'll wait for her here. You guys can proceed to your classrooms." 

Jeongyeon looked at her watch, "We still have 15 minutes before class starts." 

"I still can't believe that Mina doesn't have Saturday classes but she's here just to ask her crush out", Momo said 

Mina rolled her eyes, "There are not many students who attend Saturday classes so there won't be many witnesses if I ever end up embarrassing myself again." 

Jihyo laughed, "I'll head to my classroom, I'll check if Nayeon's already there." 

Mina smiled, "Thanks, Hyo." 

After a few minutes of Jeongyeon and Momo teasing Mina, Mina saw the girl she's waiting for. "Mo, you got the flowers, right?" 

Momo nodded, "Yeah. Can't you see I'm holding them?" 

Mina took a deep breath and held her guitar. This is it, she told herself. She waited for Nayeon (and her friends) to reach the entrance. Mina smiled, "Good morning." 

Nayeon greeted Mina back but she continued walking along with her friends. Mina followed while she started strumming her guitar. Nayeon was a little surprised by what Mina's doing but she just let her. 

It's her hair and her eyes today

That just simply take me away

Nayeon knows that Mina is one of the guitarists of their band and not the vocalist so hearing Mina sing for her took her by surprise. She once heard Mina sing, but hearing Mina sing for her in front of other people, it's different. It's making her feel things?

And the feeling that I'm falling further in love

Makes me shiver but in a good way

All the times I have sat and stared

As she thoughtfully thumbs through her hair

They were now walking up the stairs but Mina continues what she is doing. Fortunately, Nayeon's classroom is just on the second floor so Mina won't have a hard time walking up the stairs while strumming the guitar and singing. 

And she purses her lips, bats her eyes, and she plays with me

Sittin' there, slacked-jaw and nothing to say

Mina looked at Momo, eyeing the flower. Momo nodded and took one of the flowers out. 

'Cause I love her with all that I am

And my voice shakes along with my hands

They're now in front of Nayeon's room and Mina didn't really notice the people staring at them, she continued what she was doing and sang the last lines. 

'Cause she's all that I see and she's all that I need

And I'm out of my league once again

Mina took the flower from Momo. She grinned and turned to Nayeon, "For you." 

"Thank you.", Nayeon said as she hurriedly entered the classroom. God, she hopes she wasn't blushing because Mina might have made her heart skip a beat. 

"Not going to lie, I was surprised.", Jeongyeon said 

Momo nodded, "Me too. I thought you said you hated singing?" 

Mina shrugged, "She said I had a cute voice so..." 

"By the way, I'm pretty sure I saw Nayeon blushing.", Jihyo said 

"Don't give me false hope." Mina said which earned laughter from her friends. 

Momo shook her head, "We'll head to our classroom now." 

"Wait. Can I have the flowers?", Mina asked 

Momo nodded, "Here. It's yours anyway." 

Mina sat in front of Nayeon's room. She has everything planned. She'll wait for Nayeon to leave the room and then she'll follow her to her next class while she continues the song. The only thing she has to deal with is the waiting part. Each class is 1.5 hours so she's got to wait that long. 

Mina has her eyes closed while listening to music through her earpods so she wasn't able to see that the students from the classroom are already leaving. 

Jihyo lightly kicked Mina's knee which made the latter glare. "Nayeon's still inside. Our next class is on the third floor." 

Mina groaned while standing up, "Ugh, I hate going up the stairs." Mina handed Jihyo the flowers, "Hold this for me." 

Jihyo rolled her eyes but still took the flowers that Mina handed. "God, Myoui, you're whipped." 

Mina held her guitar while waiting for Nayeon to leave the classroom. And as soon as Nayeon walked past them, Mina didn't forget to smile and greet her. And with that, she started strumming her guitar. 

It's a masterful melody

When she calls out my name to me

Mina walked beside Nayeon while singing. Not minding all the people looking at them. God, she hopes Nayeon's fine with what she's doing. 

As the world spins around her

She laughs, rolls her eyes

And I feel like I'm fallin' but it's no surprise

'Cause I love her with all that I am

And my voice shakes along with my hands

They just finished walking up the stairs so Mina started walking backward while facing Nayeon. 

'Cause it's frightening to be swimming in this strange sea

But I'd rather be here than on land

Mina noticed that Nayeon's avoiding eye contact which kind of made her sad but she continued singing. 

Yes, she's all that I see and she's all that I need

And I'm out of my league once again

Mina smiled before giving Nayeon another flower. Mina heard Nayeon's friends were teasing her while they were entering their classroom. Mina sat down in front of the classroom, plugging in her earpods again. 

Jihyo raised her eyebrow, "You're staying here again?" 

Mina shrugged, "The song's not over yet. But don't worry, once the song is finished, I'll ask her out, and if she says no, I'll head home." 

Jihyo shook her head she knows how dumb Mina can be but she just lets her do what she wants. 

Mina rested her head on the wall while she closed her eyes. She was about to smack the person who flicked her forehead but it turns out it was Nayeon. 

Mina raised her eyebrow, "What the— Oh, hey." 

"Hey.", Nayeon said while sitting beside Mina. 

"Shouldn't you be in class?" 

Nayeon shrugged, "Shouldn't you be at your house?" 

"Touché. But why are you here?" 

"I wanted to hear you sing. Can you sing for me?", Nayeon said while avoiding Mina's eyes. 

Mina was flustered, she didn't expect Nayeon to sit beside her and ask her to sing. "Oh. Uh. Yeah, I— Uh, yeah, I can continue the song I was singing." 

Nayeon smiled seeing how flustered Mina is, "Okay" 

Mina took her guitar and started strumming. She decided to change some of the words to make it more obvious that she's singing this for Nayeon.

It's your hair and your eyes today

That just simply take me away

And the feeling that I'm falling further in love

Makes me shiver but in a good way

All the times I have sat and stared

As you thoughtfully thumb through your hair

As you purse your lips, bats your eyes, and you play with me

Sittin' there, slacked-jaw and nothing to say

Mina looked at Nayeon's eyes while Nayeon averted her gaze and looked at the guitar instead. 

'Cause I like you with all that I am

And my voice shakes along with my hands

'Cause it's frightening to be swimming in this strange sea

But I'd rather be here than on land

Yes, you're all that I see and you're all that I need

And I'm out of my league once again

Mina quickly took the rest of the flowers and handed them to Nayeon, "Will you go on a date with me?" 

Nayeon smiled, "Are you going to wait for my answer this time?" 

"What?", Mina asked. She didn't understand what Nayeon meant by that. 

"You know you've been asking me out for I don't know how many times now but you never waited for my answer." 

Mina is still confused, "What do you mean?" 

"The first time you asked me, you tripped on the ground which caused a hole in your pants and a bleeding scratch on your knee which resulted in your friends taking you to the clinic. You didn't wait for my answer.", Nayeon explained. 

"But I asked and waited for your answer last week at the cafeteria?" 

Nayeon rolled her eyes, "You asked me out after class and I'm pretty sure you got detention that day so I refused. Didn't want you to go skipping out on your detention." 

Mina nodded, it's true, she did get detention that day and the day after that. "Okay. So what's your answer now?" 

Nayeon stood up, "I'll think about it. I should get back to class." Nayeon giggled seeing Mina pout. 

Mina looked at her watch and saw that there’s still 30 minutes left before Nayeon's class ends so she decided to play an online game. 

Mina was too focused on gaming that she didn't hear someone calling her. Someone poked her cheek but her attention is still on the game she's playing, "Wait, I'm playing." 

"I was going to say yes but it looks like you're too busy playi–" 

Mina locked her phone and looked at Nayeon, "I heard a yes. You can't take it back, I heard a yes." 

Nayeon playfully rolled her eyes, "My next class starts in 1.5 hours so I'm free for a little bit. My friends are ditching me, so..." 

Mina smirked, "Are you asking me to accompany you?" 

"I'm leaving.", Nayeon said as she was about to walk away but Mina stopped her. 

"I'm hungry. Let's go grab lunch?" 

Nayeon looked at Mina before putting her hand on her chin, "Well, since you asked me and I'm free, why not?" 

"Okay, let's go.", Mina said as she grabbed Nayeon's hand. 

Nayeon raised her eyebrow, "Who said you can hold my hand?" 

Mina grinned, "I'm not hearing you complain though?" 

"You're annoying, I want to take back my answer." 

Mina shrugged, "You're still stuck with me for 1.5 hours today." 

"God, why are you so cocky? Where's the Mina who embarrasses herself whenever she tries to ask me out? I want that one instead." 

"Oh, you want me?", Mina teasingly asked. 

"No"

"You're still holding my hand though?", Mina said while raising their hands. 

Nayeon glared at Mina, "Shut up." 

"Make me.", Mina said before sticking her tongue out to annoy Nayeon more. 

Nayeon let go of Mina's hand to hold the latter's cheeks. She slowly started leaning in which made Mina freeze. "Looks like I made you shut up." 

Mina pouted, "He–Hey! That's not fair." 

"Why? You thought I was going to kiss you? Not so fast, Myoui. You haven't even taken me out on a date yet.", Nayeon teasingly said 

Mina rolled her eyes, "I guess this’ll do for now." She grabbed Nayeon's hand once again.

 

–––

 

It's Saturday once again and it's been a week since Mina asked Nayeon out on a date. They both agreed that they'll have the date today and Mina honestly still can't believe it. She actually never thought that Nayeon would say yes so she still doesn't know where to take Nayeon. A week has already passed but Mina still hasn’t planned anything. Unplanned dates are better, she said.

 So here she is now, at their school again on a Saturday. Sitting in front of Nayeon's classroom like what she did a week ago. Mina doesn't mind doing this because, at the end of the day, she'd be driving Nayeon home. Mina started picking up and driving Nayeon home since the day Nayeon agreed on having a date with her. Except on days where Nayeon has cheer practice and Mina has band practice, which is, by the way, Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Mina took her phone out and searched for places to go on first dates. Picnic? I should've prepared something, Mina thought. Mina scrolled through her phone and she mostly saw the word picnic, but she can't prepare it in an hour, right? So she continued looking for what to do on a first date. 

"First date ideas?"

Mina locked her phone when she heard the voice, "You saw nothing."

Nayeon laughed, "Awww, you were searching for date ideas. That's cute."

Mina rolled her eyes, "Whatever. Your class is finished?"

Nayeon nodded, "Yeah. By the way, we can just do whatever you like. For the date, I mean."

"Okay.", Mina said while grabbing Nayeon's hand. Honestly, she still doesn't know where to take Nayeon. She does remember Nayeon being extremely competitive so maybe the arcade wouldn't be a bad idea, right? It's still early for dinner anyway.

 

–––

 

Mina parked her car in front of the arcade and she immediately looked at Nayeon, hoping that the latter doesn't mind spending some time playing games.

"Arcade, huh? Just so you know, I'm pretty competitive.", Nayeon said as she unbuckled her seatbelt.

Mina smiled, "Great then that makes the two of us."

They were welcomed by kids running around the arcade. Mina facepalmed, ". I forgot it's Saturday."

Nayeon held Mina's hand, "It's okay. We can still play a couple of games." 

They walked towards the racing machine. "Why don't we make a bet?", Nayeon asked.

Mina raised her eyebrows, "Are you sure you want to make a bet with me?"

Nayeon nodded, "Loser has to be the driver starting on Monday."

"Sure. So, if you lose, you'll pick me up at my house starting on Monday?"

"Yes, but I don't know where you live though so you have to tell me where.", Nayeon said as she swiped the card to start the game.

Mina smiled, she actually likes driving Nayeon to school so maybe she'll lose intentionally. But, she would also like Nayeon to pick her up at her house. Well, whether Mina wins or loses the game, she won't mind because she will still be with Nayeon.

They're on their last lap and Mina's leading. Mina hears Nayeon whining and she finds it cute. Mina realized that she actually wants to drive Nayeon instead of Nayeon driving her because she gets to make sure that Nayeon gets home safe. So she intentionally bumps her car and goes off the track to let Nayeon pass her.

"Shouldn't the winner be the driver? Because the winner is the better driver, right?", Mina jokingly asked.

"True, but we made a bet.", Nayeon said before sticking her tongue out.

Mina smiled while shaking her head, Nayeon doesn't have to know that she intentionally wanted to lose. Nayeon pointed at the shooting game. "Let's do that next."

Mina nodded and they walked towards the machine. Maybe she doesn't have to let Nayeon win this time. 

"Hey! Don't kill my zombies! You're stealing my scores,", Nayeon said

Mina laughed, "They're killing you and your health is already low. I was actually expecting a thank you."

Nayeon pouted, "Stay on your side of the screen."

Mina smiled, "Okay, okay."

After a few seconds, Nayeon's health bar dropped to zero while Mina's health bar was still more than half.

"Woah, you're about to beat the high score!"

Mina smirked, "Who do you think scored that?"

Nayeon widened her eyes, "That's your score??? You're about to beat it!"

After a few more seconds, Mina was able to beat the high score, which was hers, and she was able to set a new record. She let her character die because she's the highest score anyway.

"Let's try that.", Nayeon said as she pointed at the dance machine.

Mina shook her head, "No way. I don't dance."

Nayeon pouted, "Come on, I'll teach you! It'll be fun." Nayeon started dragging Mina towards the dance machine.

Nayeon started picking a song and people suddenly started gathering to watch them.

"Nayeon, this is embarrassing, I really can't dance."

"Mina, you've done more embarrassing things at school. And don't worry, I'm with you.", Nayeon said as she reassured Mina. "You just need to copy what's shown on the screen like this."

Mina stared at Nayeon while the latter started copying what's shown on the screen. Seeing Nayeon have fun puts a smile on Mina's face and maybe, maybe embarrassing herself once more is worth it.

"You're doing good!", Nayeon said when she saw that Mina's trying to dance too. Nayeon's not even lying, Mina is actually doing great. 

The people clapped their hands after the song ended. It wasn't a surprise that Nayeon scored higher than Mina, she's the dancer after all. Mina covered her face, "I'm never doing that again."

"But you actually did great!", Nayeon said as she removed the hand that Mina used to cover her face. She held Mina's hand, "Hey, it's getting more crowded here, should we go somewhere else?"

Mina nodded, God, she really wants to leave the place right now, "Sure. Is there a place you want to go?"

"There's a karaoke place nearby, we should go there.", Nayeon said as they started walking towards the exit.

"No.", Mina muttered.

"What?", Nayeon asked

Mina scratched her nape, "Uh, we can go somewhere else. I know a better place."

Nayeon smiled, "Okay."

Thank God Nayeon agreed because there's no way Mina's going to the karaoke place. It's where Mina and her ex often visit and there's no way she'd go back there. Nayeon doesn't need to know that.

"Where do you want to eat, by the way? We can stop by and get take-outs somewhere or we can go to a drive-thru before we go… somewhere?", Mina asked. She hopes Nayeon doesn't mind her unpreparedness even if she did try to ask Nayeon out on a date a few times.

"I'm fine with anything really. I'll have what you'll have."

Mina nodded and she started driving towards a fast-food chain. She ordered a bucket of chicken, fries, and drinks. "Are you sure you're fine with this?"

Nayeon nodded, "Yes, I'm not a picky eater. By the way, where are we going?"

Mina grinned, "You'll see."

The sun is setting and it's starting to get dark. Mina drove them to a park, where you can get a clear view of the city. The place is secluded for it is a little far from the main city. 

"There's a bench there.", Mina said as she pointed to the side. "Can you bring the food there? I'll go get my guitar."

Nayeon nodded and started walking towards the bench while bringing their food. The bench is facing towards the city and the sunset is clearly seen.

Mina grabbed her guitar and started strumming while walking towards Nayeon.

I'll hold the door

Please come in

And just sit here for a while

This is my way of telling you

I need you in my life

It's so cold

Without your touch

I've been dreaming way too much

Can we just turn this into reality?

'Cause I've been thinking 'bout you lately

Maybe, you could save me from this

Crazy world we live in

And I know we could happen

'Cause you know that I've been feeling you

Mina sat beside Nayeon and looked into her eyes. Nayeon wants to look away but for some reason, she can't, so she looks back at Mina. Nayeon is starting to feel her cheeks burning and God she hopes Mina isn't noticing her blushing cheeks.

Storms, they will come

But I know that the sun will shine again

He's my friend

And he says that we belong together

And I'll sing a song to break the ice

Just a smile from you would suffice

It's not me being nice

But this is real tonight

'Cause I've been thinking 'bout you lately

Maybe, you could save me from this

Crazy world we live in

And I know we could happen

'Cause you know that I've been feeling you

I know you want me

Mina winked at Nayeon which made the latter playfully roll her eyes. 

There's no other

There's no other love

That I'd rather have, you know

There ain't no one

There ain't no one else

I want you for myself

This is only the second time that Nayeon heard Mina sing but she's sure hearing Mina sing is one of her favorite things in this world. Mina's voice is soft and calming, it makes her heart skip a beat. Not to mention Mina's loving gaze whenever she sings.

I've been thinking 'bout you lately

Maybe, you could save me from this

Crazy world we live in

And I know we could happen

'Cause you know that I've been feeling you

I know you want me too

I know you want me too

Ohh-ooh-oh-oh

Pa-pa-ra, pa-pa-ra

"I really like your voice. I could listen to you sing all day every day and I'd never get tired of it.", Nayeon said after Mina finished singing.

Mina smiled, "I really like you. And I'd sing for you every day if you want me to. Just tell me what song you like and I'll try to play it."

"Can you play Fallin For You by Colbie Caillat?", Nayeon asked.

"Yes, but it's your turn to sing."

Nayeon nodded, "I'll sing."

Mina took her phone to search for the chords of the song. After seeing them, she started strumming the guitar. She signaled Nayeon to start singing and so Nayeon did.

I don't know

But I think I may be fallin' for you

Dropping so quickly

Maybe I should keep this to myself

Waiting 'til I know you better

This is the first time Mina heard Nayeon sing and she doesn't understand why Nayeon said she'd listen to her voice all day when her voice sounds so much better. Even though Nayeon has an amazing voice, Mina sees that Nayeon's a little bit embarrassed while singing. Mina's not quite sure if Nayeon's embarrassed to hear her sing or if it's because of the lyrics of the song.

I've been spending all my time

Just thinking about ya

I don't know what to do

I think I'm fallin' for you

I've been waiting all my life

And now I found ya

I don't know what to do

I think I'm fallin' for you

I'm fallin' for you

Nayeon knows it's a little too fast, they've only started talking a week ago but she can't deny what she's feeling whenever she's with Mina. Sure, it's only been a week since they started talking but Nayeon has been interested in Mina since the first time she heard her sing. Nayeon's not ready to let Mina know that the first time Mina asked her on a date, she already has an answer. It's always been a yes.

I am trying not to tell you

But I want to

I'm scared of what you'll say

And so I'm hiding what I'm feeling

But I'm tired of holding this inside my head

I've been spending all my time

Just thinking about ya

I don't know what to do

I think I'm fallin' for you

I've been waiting all my life

And now I found ya

I don't know what to do

I think I'm fallin' for you

I'm fallin' for you

Oh, I just can't take it

My heart is racing

The emotions keep spilling out

Mina tries her best to focus on playing the guitar but she can't help but get distracted by Nayeon's beautiful voice. Nayeon's gaze on her isn't also helping. Mina's not going to deny the fact that Nayeon is making her heart pound.

I don't know what to do

I think I'm fallin' for you

I'm fallin' for you

I think I'm fallin' for you

I can't stop thinking about it

I want you all around me

And now I just can't hide it

I think I'm fallin' for you

I can't stop thinking about it

I want you all around me

And now I just can't hide it

I think I'm fallin' for you

I'm fallin' for you

Oh

Oh no no

Oh

Oh, I'm fallin' for ya

"You have an amazing voice.", Mina said as she looked at Nayeon's eyes. "You should sing more often."

Nayeon smiled, "I'd rather hear you sing though."

"Well, I'll sing for you only if you'll sing too.", Mina said as she put her guitar down. "I think we should start eating now."

The two of them started eating while talking about nothing and everything. After eating, they stayed where they were and they sang more songs. They took turns in singing while admiring each other. It's funny how hearing someone sing makes your heart flutter and gives you butterflies in your stomach. It's insane how they have gotten closer in just a week.

 



 

Songs:

Out of My League - Stephen Speaks
We Could Happen - AJ Rafael
Fallin' For You - Colbie Caillat