But life goes on

when life gives you lemons...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When life gives you lemons, add a little gin and tonic.

 

Six years ago.

Two weeks later she told me on the phone. “Oppa, I’ve found him. I’ve found the perfect donor.”

I could only sigh. “What did the bank tell you about the man?”

“I’m not using the services from the bank. I don’t know, when I think about it again, I want to see his face directly, shake his hands, and you can’t do that with the donors from the bank. And also, I think the fresh ones will be more successful than the frozen ones, don’t they? With my-”

“Frozen’s so refreshing, though.” I lazily answered and cut her blabbering mouth.

Ji Hyo chuckled loudly.

“What did you see in this man?”

“Face, that’s important. He’s gorgeous with that high nose, god.”

“You’re beautiful. Any guy that has a baby with you will have a perfectly beautiful baby thanks to you.”

Again, Ji Hyo chuckled. “Thank you for the compliment, Oppa. But, height – that’s quite important for me. And, I don’t know, sense of humor? I haven’t really talked to him face to face.”

“Ugh.” I grumbled. “So, if you’ve found the one, what do you need me for?”

Ji Hyo sighed loudly from across the phone. “Oppa, why can’t you just be happy for me? I don’t want to argue with you in this exciting time but you sound so- so judgmental.”

Ji Hyo was right. I was only her best friend and not her lover nor her parents. It’s not like we were in a friendzone type of situation, or were we? I didn’t know, at least she didn’t feel the same way. Her choice in her life didn’t harm me at all, I should’ve supported her.

“I’m sorry, Ji Hyo-yah. I just still can’t process this idea and it’s only been a couple of weeks.” I could sense the happiness in her voice before though. She sounded genuinely happy. “But if you’re happy, then I am too. As your best friend, I promise I’ll support you in any way. I apologize for my behavior.”

“It’s okay, Oppa. I know it came as quite of a surprise, didn’t it? My agency was shocked as well and almost talked me out of this but… having this baby is really important to me. I just really want to have one, I want to be able to get pregnant and the time is now.”

“I know, I know.” I closed my eyes. “So, do you need anything, Ji Hyo-yah?” I asked her this time in a calmer tone.

“I’m throwing a party next week. A donor party or an insemination party, whatever you want to call it.”

“Mworago?”

“Just come to my apartment next week, arassji? I’m texting you the detail.”

If I could tell you how much that party devastated me…

Ji Hyo seemed to be having a great time. She talked to a bunch of men. Her girl friends were there who kept introducing her to another man and another one and another one until I was tired of counting. And I was just there, standing in the corner, thinking what should I do for her, what could I do to save this best friend of mine from having that awful life.

“That man. His name is Jo In Sung.” Ji Hyo pointed at the tall man that was smiling at her. She smiled at me and left. She approached that man, leaving me dumbfounded in the corner even without any explanation. She didn’t even have the time to talk to me.

I just chugged a bunch of gin and tonic that were served in the bar station. One glass, two glasses, three glasses, I lost count.

All these alcoholic beverages really fill out my bladder to its maximum capacity I needed to release it.

I was sure I wasn’t walking straight. The room was spinning around I was barely able to make it into the bathroom. I patted myself in the back when I finally stumbled upon a bathroom. I tried to peek outside and there was no one but there was a huge bed in the middle of the room. This must’ve been Ji Hyo’s personal bathroom.

Nice…… bathroom…... Had I ever got inside here? I sat on the toilet seat and started wondering. For the ten years we were best friends, I had never been inside her room let alone her en suite. But this was nice. It was big. The white tile floor and gray wall. It smelled really nice too.

Wow, there was a succulent in the corner. Was this alive? I tried to touch the thorn. Didn’t hurt. I laughed at myself, must’ve been fake, you stupid Kim Jong Kook.

What else was there?

Nice dresser.

And what’s this?

The softest rug I had ever touched, I wanted to rub it against my cheek.

The music outside was deafening I needed to throw up. Blah, it tasted awful.

Then I remember I had to pee. That’s the main purpose of why I was in this beautiful bathroom. Right, relieve my bladder first.

While releasing the liquid off of me, I couldn’t help but look around the room. Somehow still amazed. How bad was my bathroom that I was in this state?

What was this small cup that had a lid? I took it from the wooden shelf beside me. It had something inside. A white thick liquid. I felt like I had seen it before but where was it?

Ah, I also had some. I giggled like a little boy. There was a name written on the sticker.

 

JO IN SUNG

 

I tried to shake it and I laughed, I found it amusing, entertaining. What if I open the lid? I challenged myself and after a few attempts, I braved myself enough to open the lid and smiled in triumphant. Mission succeeded.

Then I turned to my left, there was a sink. Wouldn’t it be funny to mix this jell-o with some water? I bet it would. Just a little bit maybe. A tiny, tiny bit.

“Woahhhhhhhhh!” I giggled again, pushing and pulling the small cup towards the running water.

Until there was a knock on the door.

“Is somebody there?”

And I accidentally dropped the cup. What just happened? “I’m in here!” I declared.

“Sorry!”

I was sorry too. What did I do? I stared at the spilled liquid that was flowing down the drain. What would I do now? Would they notice if I changed it with water? Gosh, my head wasn’t working normally at this time.

I sat on the floor, staring at the small cup and then at my thing. Staring at the small cup and back at my thing. It seemed like a perfect idea.

You’re a genius, Kim Jong Kook. It would look the same, no one would notice.

 

 

When life gives you lemons, you might be needing some Vitamin C.

 

“Gap Jin-ah, Gap Jin-ah.” I rush him into the office and thank the heavens that there is no one inside except us. “Oh my god, I’m freaking out.”

“Mwoeyo, Hyung? You’re making me panic here.” Gap Jin almost shouts if I don’t quiet him.

“Why can’t I remember anything from six years ago?”

“Remember what? Please be clearer, Hyung. I’m not catching at what you’re saying.”

“That night when I was dead- drunk. Do you remember?” I speak 200 beats per minute. My mind is spinning around in a rush. My heart thumps in an unhealthy beat.

Gap Jin tilts his head before his face brightens. “When you said nonsense about getting the zoo in control?” He laughs. “You were so funny that day, everything you said didn’t make any sense I couldn’t comprehend anything.”

“That’s exactly what I was telling you! Why didn’t you remind me anything about that night?”

“What is that zoo anyway, Hyung? I just don’t think it made any sense, you were horribly drunk, therefore I thought it didn’t need to be brought up ever again.” Gap Jin replies slowly. “Or am I wrong?”

I still don’t answer his confusion. “And you told me just earlier that Dae Young looks like me.”

“That I did.” Gap Jin nods his head in agreement.

“Don’t you understand what I’m trying to say here? The zoo was Jo In Sung!” I scream. My head almost explodes.

“Who’s Jo In Sung?”

“The man that was supposed to give away his- uh- thing, his ingredients, you know what I’m talking about!” I can’t suppress my anger anymore. Why am I angry anyway? “I changed it with my own.”

Gap Jin mouth falls open. He gapes at me now.

I take a deep breath and sit down on the couch. Head in my hands. “I hijacked Ji Hyo’s pregnancy.”

“Is that what you meant by getting the zoo in control? Woah, Hyung.” Gap Jin is even speechless he can’t get anything out of his mouth.

I shake my head once again. “I got to tell Ji Hyo about this.”

“Telling Noona?” Gap Jin stands up and walks to the door. “No, no, Hyung. It’s dangerous – uh, I don’t know, delicate. There are a lot of things to be considered first before you do that.”

“It’s the right thing to do, Gap Jin-ah. I can’t lie to her like this.” I almost push Gap Jin out of my way.

No wonder a lot of habits are exactly like mine. He’s a mini-me with Ji Hyo’s eyes. His high cheekbones, his pointed chin, his competitiveness, his hatred towards green onions, his interest in musical instruments, they are all me.

Why have I just realized this now? Oh my god.

“Arasseo, arasseo, do whatever you think is right.” Gap Jin lifts his hands up in surrender. “But I hope you think this through. You can’t go back once you do it, Hyung.”

I drive back to Ji Hyo’s apartment that night. Pushing the bell as much as I can until she notices my presence.

“I hear you, Oppa. What are you doing here?” She greets me through the intercom.

“Is Dae Young there? Is he still awake?” My hands are now sweaty, I’m so nervous.

“No, he’s asleep. Wae? Do you need him?”

“Just come outside.” I instruct her with my head.

Once she goes outside, she looks at me weirdly. “Wae, Oppa? It’s late.”

“I know but I really need to tell you something.” I stop talking and see her reaction before I dare myself to continue. “Listen, Ji Hyo-yah. I just want to tell you that I love you so much and I cherish you so much as my best friend, and I really don’t want to lose you.”

“You’re talking in riddle here.” Ji Hyo stops me from my blabbering with a chuckle. “What do you actually want to say?”

“That uh- I don’t know the easy way to say this, but-”

“Eomma?” The door is suddenly swung open and a little human being peeks outside.

“Dae Young-ah?” Ji Hyo is immediately distracted. She lowers her body to rub Dae Young’s cheek. “I thought you were sleeping?”

“I had a nightmare.” Dae Young says. He then looks up to see me. “Samchon?”

“Annyeong, Dae Young-ah.” Now I squat down in front of him. “What kind of nightmare did you have? Should I fight them so they go away from your room?”

“You can do that?” His eyes are full of amazement they shake my heart. He then looks back at Ji Hyo. “Eomma, can Samchon have a sleepover with us?”

“He can’t, Dae Young-ah, he’s busy, right, Oppa?” Ji Hyo nudges me so I answer something, but I just stand there feeling lost. “Besides, you’re going to go to a museum tomorrow with In Sung Samchon, don’t you remember?”

“But I don’t want to go to a museum.” Dae Young answers with a small voice.

She has introduced him to Dae Young? I can’t help but to feel disappointed, there’s a pang in my heart.

“I don’t like him, Eomma.” He continues.

Yes, my son. You’re definitely my son. I’m so proud of him and yet he doesn’t know that I’m his real Appa.

“Samchon,” Dae Young calls for me by wrapping his small fingers around my big pointy finger. “Let’s practice Taekwondo some more tomorrow.”

Ji Hyo cuts our conversation short. “Arasseo, I’ll tell In Sung Samchon to postpone the plan, but you have to go to sleep, aegi-yah, it’s too late for you.”

“Can’t Jong Kook Samchon chase away the bad things in my room first, Eomma? So I won’t have nightmares anymore.”

I should save the news for some other days then.

 

 

When life gives you lemons, taste the sourness.

 

I’ve finally brought the new frame that Dae Young has been wanting for quite some time. So, he was right. New frames have this printed photo inside to show people what size fits into the frame. Some look the same and some not.

Ji Hyo has asked me to babysit Dae Young that day because she has a late-night shoot that can go on until the morning and I can’t say no to that.

She even said somet

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter