Prologue; Simple Life

Bitter//Sweet

     It had been a slightly busier day at work, making you more tired than usual. You rushed through the aisles of the market to grab your favorite snacks, trying to get home as soon as possible. The cashier made small talk as he rung up your items, you just nodded and pulled your debit card from your small purse to pay as quickly as the register would let you. When there was a small beep indicating the payment went through, you grabbed your items and tried to hurry from the counter, but the cashier caught your attention once more. Here we go, you thought, annoyed at anything that would take your time longer than needed.

     "Yes?" You chimed back, trying to hold back the facial expression that made you seem more than unhappy to be held back from going home.

     "I was just wondering what you were doing this weekend?" The young man smiled as he spoke, "You like coffee? My older brother owns the coffee shop not far from here. I'd love to take you."

     His words definitely caught you off guard. You had frequent visits to this store and the male never showed much interest before now. At least, not that you had noticed. The thought of going to get coffee with him made you internally shrug. He seemed like a nice enough guy, but not exactly what you like.

     "I like girls," You blurted out, fairly awkwardly, before quickly turning to rush to the exit. That was kinda harsh, You thought as you rushed out of the store and onto the sidewalk, Now I have to find a new snack store... You let out a small disappointed sigh and continued home. Guys don't often ask you out, but when they do, you usually give some variation of the same response. You like women. You could even go as far to say that you love them. Guys just never did anything for you in means of attraction. Yeah, some guys are hot, but not hot like women.

     The curves, the soft skin, the attitude. It's exactly what you like. Exactly. Some people can assume your attraction by your look at times. Tall, broad shoulders, dark clothes, dark green dyed hair. The embarrassing way your voice gets slightly deeper when you talk to a cute girl. It's not nice to assume, but it doesn't stop people from doing it. Even your mom knew you liked girls before you came out to her. She didn't take it as well as you had hoped she would at first, but over time, and after meeting a couple of your past girlfriends, she got used to it.

     Sadly, girls don't ask you out as much as guys do, and even that's seldom. You'd love to have the courage to ask girls out more often, but you always find a way to talk yourself out of it. Maybe it's a sign that none of them have been right for me, You think as you get to your small house, unlocking the door and stepping inside to be greeted by your small cat on the living room couch, and the fat rat that waddles out of it's plastic home in a cage across the room. The cat, Crisp, stands up to stretch before jumping down to run over and brush against your leg. You let out a small sigh and lean down to pet it's head.

     "You guys been alright today?" You ask, Crisp meowing lightly in response. You give a small nod before walking to the kitchen to set down your night's snacks on the counter. "Now, what should I make for dinner?" As throught's of what might be in your fridge distract you, your phone dings with a notification. You reach into your pocket to grab it out and check what it might have been.

     "What's this?" You raise a brow as your eyes read over the email, "The nerd store is having a sale this weekend." You grab a drink and walk over to sit on the edge of your bed as you scroll through a website of your favorite store. You call it the nerd store because it's full of things nerds like yourself love. Manga, figures, board games, and more. But, they are mostly known for the card games they sell and the tournaments they hold. "I should check it out, the manga are gonna be buy one get one half off. They never have deals liek that!" You pull up the calendar on your phone before setting an alarm for the weekend. "Hopefully I can find a cute figure, too. They don't say all the sales that will be going on."

     Your mind drifts to the weekend, wondering what all you might buy, and if you even have enough money for it. The things you're into always get a bit pricey. Maybe I should hold off on the figure, you think to yourself, Money is kinda tight lately... You give a small shruge before setting your drink on the side table and laying back in bed. A sigh escapes your lips and you start to imagine who else might be at the sale. A few friends of yours frequent the shop as well. Maybe you'll see the nice worker on shift that always makes small talk. Maybe you'll meet someone.

     "Meet someone?" You shake your head, knowing the idea is absurd, "I've been there a million times in the past three years and never have I ever met someone there... And maybe that's a good thing." You sit back up and scrunch up your face, thinking back to how you acted when the man at the corner store asked you out.

     "Ah! I feel so bad!" You yell out in frustration and pull a pillow to your chest, "I'm such a child! Why can't I just turn people down normally? Now I have to find a new snack spot!" Your cat meows from the doorway, watching your small meltdown for a moment before walking over to jump up and sit beside you on the large mattress. "Don't judge me," You mumble as your hand reaches down from the pillow to pet Crisp's head softly, , "Being human is harder than it looks, Crisp." The cat meows again before starting to pur softly. Crisp was always there to comfort you when you get a little over the top.

     "At least I've got you now," You close your eyes and imagine how immature you must seem, feeling lucky no one was around to see you like this. An adult woman overthinking every little thing again. The man at the store was probably fine. You just have to stop thinking about it. "Yeah," You sigh, "Just stop thinking about it."

     You take a deep breath and move a bit further up on the bed to lay down, grabbing your phone and opening instagram. Hoping to get your mind off of the day. The sun goes down and the night goes on, you sleep late as usual and do your best to distract yourself from feeling more lonely than usual. Maybe tomorrow will be a bit better.