Yumji | warmth [non-reallife]

cotton candy skies.

Choi Yuna wakes up to the sensation of cold fingers under her shirt, pressed against her stomach, and even colder toes curled against her calves.

The first sight she is greeted with when she opens her eyes is exactly what she expects—Kim Yewon, hair messy and unruly from sleep, trying to climb back into their bed and cuddle.

On reflex, she pushes Yewon away, because cold fingers are not something she wants to deal with first thing in the morning. “What’re you doing?” she asks, tired, vision still slightly blurred with the last traces of sleep. Upon looking over at the alarm clock a moment later, she realizes that it’s five minutes before they’re supposed to get up.

“Too cold,” Yewon murmurs, fighting against Yuna pushing her away, until Yuna finally gives in and she’s able to wrap her arms around her and snuggle closer. “Warmer here.”

“Why’d you get up before you have to?” She curls her arm around Yewon, holding her close to warm her up. “You’re freezing…”

That’s different than usual. Because Yewon normally radiates warmth, so much so that Yuna is often the one pressing closer to her side in bed on cold winter mornings like today.

Yewon doesn’t respond at first, just hums softly—in approval, almost—as Yuna’s fingers trail through her hair. For a moment, Yuna thinks Yewon is drifting back to sleep and has half a mind to nudge her awake (even if she feels bad about it, because they both have to be up for classes in less than five minutes now), but Yewon finally does breathe out an answer. “You’re not gonna be happy…”

She frowns at the cryptic statement. “About what?”

Yewon moves her head so they’re looking at each other. “I got up to turn up the heat because when I woke up it was freezing, but…”

“But?” Yuna prompts when she trails off.

“Heater’s broken,” Yewon says softly. “And no, I didn’t break it, so don’t blame me for something I didn’t do.”

Yuna rolls her eyes at the dramatics and flicks Yewon’s forehead. “If you didn’t have such a long track record, the thought of you breaking it wouldn’t have even crossed my mind.”

Kim Yewon laughs softly, probably thinking of all the things she has broken ever since they moved in together—in addition to the long list that existed before that. “Fair enough.”

“We’ll get it fixed,” Yuna murmurs, trying to push away the thoughts of the alarm going off soon and how difficult it will be to get up and face the cold—the apartment is already cold enough in the mornings, an added dose of coldness is definitely not needed.

“Okay.”

They’re silent after that, just lay curled up together under the covers and sharing warmth. Until the alarm clock does go off, the shrill beeping interrupting the few moments of bliss.

Yuna lays there for a minute longer before she reaches over to turn it off and moves to get up and get ready for class.

“No, stay.” Yewon refuses to let go of her completely, tries to pull her back into bed.

“I have class and so do you,” Yuna says, but she doesn’t exactly resist Yewon’s insistent tug, even though her words insinuate that she would.

“Five more minutes? Please?”

Yewon’s offer, although whiny, is tempting. Very tempting. So she finds herself agreeing to it. “Fine. Five more minutes.”

Five more minutes turns to ten. Ten minutes of warmth and cuddling and lazy kisses until Yuna does insist that it’s time to get up—even if she doesn’t want to, she just really can’t miss class today—and moves out of Yewon’s grip to get out of bed.

Which was a bad idea, because it really is cold, way colder than she expected. After feeling the combination of the already cold morning accompanied with absolutely no heat, she’s almost excited to leave for class. Almost.

“You should get up,” she calls over her shoulder after a few minutes when she realizes that Yewon still hasn’t gotten up. “You’re gonna be late otherwise.”

“I’m not going.” Yewon’s voice is petulant and honestly, she looks like an overgrown baby still lying in their bed with the blankets pulled up to her chin, not to mention the pout on her face after being left alone in bed. “It’s too cold to get up.”

Yuna barely manages to contain her laughter at the sight, and merely shrugs. “Okay, do what you want, but I’m sure it’s warmer at school than it is here.”

Not two minutes later, Yewon is out of bed and hastily getting ready for class, the thought of staying in the cold apartment all day suddenly no longer very appealing.

“You have club meeting this afternoon, right?” Yuna asks a few minutes later, pulling on her coat, ready to go to school now.

Yewon nods, finally looking away from the mirror where she had been trying to fix her hair. “Yeah. I’ll be back around dinner time.”

“All right. I’ll call about getting the heater fixed. See you later, okay?”

“Yeah.” Yewon turns to face her. “Have a good day, eonnie. Stay warm.”

That may be easier said than done. Still she smiles, and leans in closer so their lips meet in a quick goodbye kiss. “Yeah, you too. Love you.”

“Love you too.”

And with a wave, she heads outside into the cold and snowy weather to go to class.

Turns out, the heater won’t be able to get fixed until the next day, which means a cold night. As if to avoid the cold for a little longer, they agreed to meet up at a nearby restaurant for dinner, but when they do return home, it’s about as cold as expected—meaning, basically as cold as it is outside—and it takes a while to even get a little bit warm.

“You should give up...” Yewon singsongs from where she’s curled up on the couch, wrapped up in blankets and probably really warm as she watches one of those weird dramas she’d find when surfing channels one day and subsequently become addicted to, binge watching every single episode on free nights.

(Choi Yuna can’t say she minds the younger’s… strange taste in TV shows. They generally tend to be weird, but at least they’re interesting and easy enough to make fun of.)

(There’s also the fact that it’s cute to see Yewon so invested in what she’s watching, the way her face lights up, a small smile on her lips, as she leans forward when something particularly interesting happens; the way she’ll swipe tears away with her sleeve if something bad happens.)

She won’t admit that aloud, though—Yewon would never let her hear the end of it.

“Unlike you, I can’t put off my homework.” It’s true, Kim Yewon has horrible homework habits, will put off her work until last minute, cram for tests the night before. It’s not uncommon to see Yewon come home from classes and flop down on the couch and just avoid homework until she absolutely has to do it.

“But it’s cold, and aren’t I a better choice than homework?”

“You’re right about the cold part.”

“So mean, Choi Yuna. My heart can’t handle your cruel words.”

Yuna rolls her eyes. She knows that had she been looking at the younger girl, there would be a look of feigned hurt on her face—because basically, Yewon is dramatic as hell. “Give me a few more minutes, okay?”

She’s about to quit anyway because it’s so damn cold and sitting at the table in her coat to do homework is not a very appealing way to spend the night. Not at all.

Before she knows it, Yewon’s arms are draped over her shoulders, and she’s hugging her tightly from behind. “Eonnie…”

Yuna leans her head back so they’re looking at each other. The oversized blanket is still wrapped around Yewon, albeit loosely hanging from her shoulders. “Problem?”

Yewon huffs, puffing out her cheeks and reminding Yuna of when they were children and Yewon would pout. (Okay, who is she kidding? Yewon still looks the exact same when she pouts, no matter how many years later it is.) “I’m cold and lonely.”

“And?”

“And you should come and cuddle with me. To get warm.”

She turns off the computer. “You’re a bad influence, just like always.”

Yewon smiles, feigning innocence. “Me? Bad influence? Never.”

“Keep telling yourself that,” she says, poking Yewon’s cheek before standing up and heading over to the couch, Yewon bounding over behind her.

“Call it what you want, but you love it.”

She smiles softly—the overwhelming feeling of fondness that settles in her chest impossible to ignore—and sits down on the couch, Yewon curling up against her and throwing the blanket over them both. “Maybe. What’re we watching?”

Yewon grins. “The show I found last weekend. So in this episode—”

They just stay sprawled out on the couch together the rest of the night, at some point moving to lay down.

“You awake?” Yuna asks when Yewon has been silent for a while. There’s no answer, and she leans over slightly, noticing that Yewon is asleep.

The position they’re in isn’t exactly comfortable, not ideal to sleep in, but moving to the bedroom means waking Yewon up and leaving the warmth here. So with a small smile, she turns off the TV, tossing the remote to the side before settling back down next to Yewon. “Goodnight,” she says softly before pressing a gentle kiss to the top of her sleeping girlfriend's head.

The feeling of warmth in her chest definitely reaches beyond the kind of warmth received through cuddling. Definitely. Maybe a broken heater isn’t completely horrible after all.