Happy New Year

Chaotic New Year
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

New year. 

 

It’s coming a little too fast if Soeun might say, just a few weeks ago she was buried in a pile of assignments, projects, groupworks and exams that she thought she wouldn’t get away from. 

 

But now Christmas has passed and it’s just a few days left before January comes… which means she’ll be buried in another set of assignments and all that other stuff that’ll make her cry for another four months or so.. 

 

But before all of those, they have to celebrate for the new year. 

 

Now, it’s the season for Soeun to just relax and celebrate with her friends. The only problem is.. She isn’t quite sure if they’ll be complete. 

 

Their 7 member friend group, she’s been with them ever since she started high school and now that she’s graduating soon along with Shin Jiyoon and Kim Jimin, she thinks it would be nice to celebrate with everyone else. 

 

They weren’t able to celebrate together on Christmas because they all chose to be with their relatives and celebrate with them instead, which isn’t a bad thing at all, it was quite nice. But now that that’s over, all they have are their friends to watch the fireworks with once the clock hits 12. 

 

The main problem being … not sure if they will be complete. 

 

They’re all in high school, they’re not busy, they have nothing else to do except Lee Soojin who’s the oldest out of all of them. 

 

She graduated last year from their high school and immediately moved out in the middle of summer to start her life as a college student in uni. 

 

Well, Soojin isn't a college student, she’s in senior high … so technically she is a college student. 

 

A little after she moved, her other relatives moved real close to where she currently lives in, in order to be close to her. Which meant she doesn’t need to go back to where she used to live because her parents would just visit her at her relatives’ place. 

 

A good thing but is considered a bad thing by her friends. 

 

Soeun has been thinking about this problem for days ever since their Christmas break started, they wanted to spend time with Soojin just like how they used to spend time together when Soojin was still in high school with them. 

 

Well.. Soeun might be thinking about it a bit too much. 

 

When she’s cooped up in her room, eating cereal on her bed with all the blankets covering her like she’s a burrito while the heater runs and the television’s on, lights off and it’s quite peaceful. 

 

Until someone throws snow over and over on her bedroom window. 

 

She didn’t even hear it and if she did, she’s probably ignoring it to focus on her thoughts. 

 

That was when she heard another snowball hit her window, but this time, she thinks it may be a bigger snowball than the first ones that were thrown her way. 

 

Worried that her window might break, she immediately stood up from her bed, leaving her burrito state and jumping over the pillows that fell on the floor before she was finally able to stand in front of her window to open it and confront whoever was throwing snowballs at her window. 

 

Pushing the blinds aside, the powerful ray of the sun pushed past her and almost blinded her with how bright it was outside. Even in this cold and snowy season, the sun was still up and shining brightly down at everyone. 

 

With eyes closed she opened her window and peaked her head out, opening her eyes only to see a big snowball come her way. Hitting her straight in the face, causing her to take a step back. 

 

She shivered at how cold it was, especially with it hitting her whole face, mouth slightly opened.

 

Just a few seconds after, she heard the familiar laughter of her friends coming from outside. Hearing a “SORRY!” from a not-so-sorry Jimin outside her house. 

 

Slightly annoyed, she wiped the snow off of her face before glaring down at Jimin and Jiyoon who both had a -eating-grin on their faces. 

 

“MY MOUTH WAS OPEN!” Soeun shouted at her two friends outside who burst out laughing, finding it amusing that Soeun had tasted snow. 

 

“You won’t die from eating snow, will you?” Jimin responded with an eyebrow raised partnered with a cocky smirk stretched across her lips. 

 

“THE GROUND IS DIRTY YOU HAT.” 

 

“Well, you should’ve answered your phone when we were calling earlier! You wouldn’t be eating snow if you did!” Jiyoon shouted from beside Jimin as they watched Soeun scoff at them before slamming her window shut. 

 

“You think she swallowed snow?” Jiyoon whispered, sounding curious if Soeun really was able to digest snow. 

 

“Jiyoon..” Jimin muttered while side-eyeing her.

 

 “What?? It was a genuine question!” 

 

Jimin didn’t say anything else as they waited for Soeun to come out of her house, it didn’t take long before Soeun opened the door and walked outside with a jacket. 

 

An obvious frown on her face as Jiyoon smiled widely at her while waving her hands. 

 

“So..” Jimin started, an eyebrow raised at Soeun as she spoke. 

 

“So?” Soeun asked, copying the way Jimin looked. 

 

There was silence before Jiyoon and Jimin made eye contact, very confused as to why Soeun’s not talking and giving them any updates. 

 

“What??” Soeun asked again and  as if on cue, Jiyoon facepalmed and sighed. “Are you sure she’s the one who suggested this? She looks like she has no clue.” 

 

Jimin sighs, “Soeun! Speak up!” 

 

“What?? What do I have to say?? You both were the ones who came here throwing snowballs at my window, I thought you were the ones who had something to say to me.” 

 

That’s when Jimin facepalmed as well, what was Soeun even doing?? She was the one who suggested that they all spend the new years together, but here she is looking like she hit her head on a rock and forgot about all the things she said the other day. 

 

“Soeun, you said you’d ask Soojin unnie if she’ll be able to come visit us. We’re asking for an update on that.” 

 

Soeun blinked and turned her head to look at Jiyoon, “Don’t look at me! You never said anything to me about this, you were the one who even volunteered to talk to her!” 

 

The youngest out of the three of them rolled her eyes and sighed in defeat, “Right, I remember! I did try to talk to unnie, but she never said anything nor even said she’d be able to come. She said she’d be at her aunt’s house.” 

 

“So you mean to tell us.. She never gave a solid answer?” Jiyoon tilted her head to the side as Soeun nodded her head yes. 

 

“Then how are we going to make this work?” Jimin played with the snow on the ground, kicking it softly as she waited for Soeun’s answer. 

 

“Well, we can always celebrate with just the six of us..” Jiyoon suggested while shrugging, looking quite unsure with her own suggestion. 

 

Soeun thinks about it for a second, it wouldn’t hurt to just celebrate with the six of them right? There would be next year too.. That wouldn’t be so hard, right? 

 

She was about to just agree to Jiyoon’s suggestion but something in her head was trying to stop her from doing so. It does feel a bit empty when they aren’t complete. 

 

It would also be a bit sad if Soojin isn’t around. She thinks everyone would agree… or is it only her who thinks that way? 

 

She shakes her head before looking back at Jiyoon, “I do like your suggestion but I think we’d all be able to enjoy it if we’re all complete.” 

 

“Well, what’s your plan then?” Soeun turns her head towards Jimin, “Well.. I’ll think of something.” 

 

--------

 

“Have you thought of something yet?” Soeun heard Jimin’s voice through the phone as she laid down with her head on the side of the bed, staring at the black screen of her television. 

 

“You would be surprised!” Soeun responded with a bored tone and Jimin could already tell that Soeun has not thought of something yet. 

 

“..You got nothing.” 

 

Soeun groans before rolling around her bed, “I got nothing!” 

 

“Have you tried asking Soojin unnie again?” 

 

“I did…” Soeun mumbles before unconsciously raising both her hands up in the air, “But unnie said she’ll try.” 

 

“Then, isn’t that fine? She said she’ll try to visit us.” 

 

“But what if she wasn’t able to try? It would be sad with just the six of us.” 

 

She hears Jimin hum on the other end, “Well, we can’t do anything about it. We can just try next time, you know? It’ll be much easier next year because we'll be leaving our homes too and we promised Soojin unnie we’ll at least try to study in the same uni as her.” 

 

Soeun thought about it for a second. 

 

Jimin does have a point, they can just celebrate all together next year with Soojin. That is, if they get into the same uni as Soojin. 

 

“I guess you’re right. I’ll tell unnie that she doesn’t need to visit if she really can’t.” 

 

And with that they end the call. 

 

Soeun was now sitting on her bed, staring at her phone, contemplating her life’s choices. She was unconsciously tapping her thumb on her phone’s screen. 

 

She was thinking if she’ll really tell Soojin that she doesn’t need to visit. Because even after she told Jimin she will, she still doesn’t like the fact that they aren’t going to see Soojin before the year ends. 

 

They haven’t seen her ever since she left, it’s as if Soojin disappeared as soon as her classes started. She was already busy in her first week.

 

She was stuck there studying everything about what she wanted to do in the future while Soeun and the others are stuck in their old high school messing around, waiting for their break. 

 

Should she really tell Soojin not to visit anymore? 

 

Can Soeun even wait that long for Soojin to finally visit them? She will come home once summer starts.. Right? 

 

In the end she does tell Soojin not to visit anymore, it is kind of hard for Soojin to celebrate the new years with both her family and friends who’re a couple hours away from her. 

 

Soeun drops her phone somewhere on her bed before wrapping herself with her blankets, hoping to fall asleep fast so she could finally stop thinking too much about this. 

 

------

 

It was finally December 31. 

 

The last day of the year before everyone finally moves onto the next. 

 

The others woke Soeun up at exactly one in the afternoon. Surprising her with two small puppies that they found on the side of the road. 

 

Honestly, Soeun wasn't even surprised that they saw two lost puppies. She didn't even ask but of course Han Jihyo will tell her a long story about how they came across the two puppies living under the snow. 

 

Soeun was intrigued, sure, but she absolutely doesn't know why they brought the puppies in her house. 

 

She found out later that they're going to leave the puppies for Soeun to take care of. 

 

When asked why, Hyewon said she'd be happy to take them both but she already had Clara, Jimin said she had Kkomi, Jaehee has a pet dog named Bbori and Jiyoon already owns two dogs, Suni and Miho. 

 

And Jihyo.. Jihyo wanted to take the two puppies. 

 

Energetically shouting, "ME! ME! I WANT TO KEEP THEM!" 

 

But of course Jaehee had to speak and say, "I don't think Hyobi would like that." 

 

Making Jihyo pout before whining about how she wanted to take the two small puppies who are now just walking around Soeun's feet. 

 

It seemed as if the puppies already knew who their owner would be and would play with each other beside Soeun all the time. 

 

Jihyo only stopped whining once Hyewon spoke, saying, "Well, unnie, isn't Hyobi and Clara enough for the both of us?" before they stared at each other for a couple of seconds. 

 

Whatever that meant, at least Jihyo finally stopped whining about the two puppies. 

 

Everyone acted as if they didn't see Jihyo and Hyewon holding hands, sitting in the same chair even if there are other chairs for them to sit on. 

 

Even if Jimin and Soeun both shared a knowing look they didn't say a thing. 

 

No, they refuse to talk about "relationships" when they all know Jiyoon will go on a rant about not having her other half. 

 

They still remember Jiyoon ranting, "The audacity to talk about your relationship in front of me, the God Jiyoon?!" when Jimin and Jaehee finally told them they started dating. 

 

Soeun could still hear Jimin being annoyed, responding with "Not my fault you're still single." 

 

"BE RESPECTFUL, ME AND SOEUN ARE STILL SINGLE. JIHYO AND HYEWON, YOU TWO CAN'T DENY THE FACT THAT YOU'VE BEEN GOING ON SECRET DATES EVERY SATURDAY AND SUNDAY." 

 

Even though both Jihyo and Hyewon denied and acted like Jiyoon was making up stories, Soeun was pretty sure Jiyoon exposed them right then and there. 

 

And the part where Jiyoon said her and Soeun are still both single? Jiyoon, sure but Soeun? No one knows about that yet. 

 

That all happened while they were all eating lunch and because Jiyoon couldn’t keep shut, of course there were bound to be rumors spreading around about Jihyo and Hyewon after almost all of the students in the cafeteria with them heard every word that Jiyoon said. 

 

An unforgettable memory indeed. 

 

Soeun ended up having two puppies before new year, everyone told her to consider it as a new year’s gift. 

 

She is thankful though, she just doesn’t know how to take care of two energetic puppies on her own. 

 

They all stayed over at Soeun’s place, wanting to celebrate with Soeun because her house has a rooftop they could climb up to and watch the fireworks on. 

 

Before they could climb up there, they wanted to cook and prepare food to eat and that’s exactly what they all did. 

 

Soeun, being the only one who actually cooks, was hesitant to let them help. Her mom was there, Soeun can ask for her help if she needed any. 

 

“Soeun, you know we can help with other things right? Like cutting vegetables and other stuff that needs to be sliced in half?” Jimin spoke with her hands crossed, leaning against the kitchen  counter with Jiyoon holding a small knife and cutting an imaginary vegetable in the air. 

 

Soeun stared at the both of them. “With Jiyoon doing that with a small knife? No, I don’t think so.” she responded while scrunching up her face. 

 

Jiyoon finally stopped playing with the small butter knife when Jimin elbowed her on the side, making her yelp. 

 

“Jiyoon why don’t you help the others babysit the puppies in the living room??” Jimin suggested while slowly pushing Jiyoon out of the kitchen and towards the living room. 

 

“What?? I don’t think they need my help with the puppies, both Jaehee and Hyewon know how to take care of them.” Jiyoon said even though she’s letting Jimin push her towards the living room where Park’s Christmas tree was. 

 

As Jimin pushed Jiyoon towards the living room, they saw the door open and one lonely puppy biting the Christmas tree. 

 

“... You think the three of them just took the other pup out for a walk..?” Jiyoon asked as they stood in the middle of the living room, staring at the door that was wide open before looking back at the only puppy inside the room. 

 

“With snow outside?? Jiyoon do you even think??” 

 

“Yeah.. on second thought, maybe they do need my assistance. I’ll be right back.” 

 

Jiyoon then ran towards the puppy, picking it up before frantically putting on her coat and shoes to run outside in hopes of helping their three younger friends catch the other puppy. 

 

“Jiyoon! Leave the puppy here, I’ll take care of it, just go and look for the others.” Jimin said, stopping Jiyoon before she even got to step one foot outside of the house. 

 

“You don’t want this dog to die in the cold, wouldn’t you?” 

 

“Right.” Jiyoon quickly handed Jimin the puppy before running outside, not forgetting to say, “I'LL BE BACK IN FIVE MINUTES.” 

 

But of course Jiyoon wouldn’t be able to find them all in just five minutes, well.. That is if Jiyoon doesn’t know where to look. 

 

And she doesn’t know where to look. 

 

Jimin walked back inside the kitchen to see Soeun starting to cook the food they were going to eat later on.

 

“What’s up? I heard Jiyoon shouting, did something happen?” Soeun asked while her back was turned. Jimin leaned on the kitchen counter again while holding Soeun’s dog up. 

 

“Uh.. well.. I think the other puppy got out and I think the Jaehee and the others went after it. Now, Jiyoon went after them as well.” 

 

Soeun didn’t say anything in return, she just let out a sigh before continuing what she was doing. 

 

Jimin thought this was weird, Soeun was awfully

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter