Part I

Mystery Bureau
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“This is her file,” Eunbi passed a brown file with Mystery Bureau logo at the centre front of the file to Chaewon.

 

“What? Me? No, I don’t want to be assigned. You know why,” Chaewon said, exasperated with the sudden news.

 

“Yes, you. I already interviewed her and now you need to investigate further.” Eunbi slowly gulping her coffee from the mug that has a similar logo with the brown file.

 

Chaewon wanted to snigger at her department or precisely the Mystery Bureau. The Bureau wanted to hide as much as they can from the public, yet printed their own logo on almost everything they could find in the office.

 

‘Irony.’ Chaewon turned back to Eunbi who didn’t notice her strayed focus.

 

“But unnie, you know right why I’m not good with undercover. I’m terrible at it. I’m more on the clean-up-mission girl.”

 

“Well, the directive asked you specifically so I can’t say no. Plus, it's always hard to tail the zorgob. They are invincible, don’t be too hard on yourself, Chaewon.”

 

“How do you interviewed her?”

 

“She has a YouTube channel and its not that hard. I just made up some obscure magazine, and she’s happy to do the interview. Appears as gullible to me. So it will be easy to tail her.”

 

Chaewon sighed. “So I need to tail her?”

 

“Yes,” Eunbi answered with affirmative tone.

 

Chaewon knows it will be futile to argue with Eunbi. Instead, she looked at the file again. She read it aloud to familiarize with the details.

 

“Miyawaki Sakura. 22 years old. Youtuber and blogger. No degree, despite finishing at the top of her class in high school. Can go to SKY university yet content to do what she’s doing right now. Dad passed away when she was young because of a heart attack at work. No siblings. Mom raised her and her mom is a doctor. Has a cat, Maruchan. Few close friends, Chaeyeon, majoring in modern dance and Hyewon, majoring in pure math.”

 

“Her profile seems like a normal girl description. But why she keep popped up in all those places?”

 

Eunbi shrugged while Chaewon tried to formulate Sakura’s motive.

 

“There’s something missing in this Miyawaki Sakura’s profile. The lack of motive suggested she might be dangerous.”

 

“It could be money,” Eunbi added.

 

“I guess we need to investigate her and build a complete profile before we can infer her motive.”

 

“You will not be alone in this mission. Your partner will be a Japanese agent, as they would like to investigate Miyawaki Sakura with us.”

 

“Oh, so do I need to fly to Japan today?” Chaewon asked.

 

“No, but you need to go to the airport now to pick up your partner.”

 

“Good luck,” Eunbi playfully saluted Chaewon before leaving the meeting room.

 

Chaewon sighed again and praying silently it is going to be a successful mission.

 

**

 

Chaewon didn’t expect to see such an energetic kid when she picked up her soon- to-be partner in tailing Miyawaki Sakura.

 

“Hi, I’m Yabuki Nako,” her partner chirped brightly.

 

“Uh, Chaewon, nice to meet you.”

 

“Nice to meet you too. I’m hungry, can we stop somewhere to eat?” Nako asked, beaming at Chaewon that she wondered whether the sun shining from Nako as well.

 

“Ok.” Awkward.

 

“You don’t talk much, I guess?” Nako inquired.

 

“No, I don't.’t.”

 

“It’s ok.”

 

Chaewon the radio, and Twice song was playing. Nako unabashed, singing loudly and Chaewon surprised how this midget can hit a high note taller than her.

 

“Your voice is pleasant.” The Korean girl complimented her Japanese partner.

 

“Haha, I know. I once auditioned for idols in Japan. But the Bureau recruited me and they offered a pension, so my parents said it’s always the best to work with the government.”

 

“But its not like we can tell anyone that we work with the government right,” Chaewon stole a glance at her bright partner.

 

“Oh yeah,” Nako said unfazed with Chaewon’s pessimistic tone.

 

“In Japan, Mystery Bureau is under Cyber Security department so I can say I work for them.”

 

“Eh, why?” Nako can hear a tinge of curiosity from Chaewon.

 

“Our head of department thought the cyber term can include other-worldly dimension and I think that a good reason, actually. You know in a way we can’t touch internet right. I mean we can use the internet, social media etc, but we can’t exactly physically touch it so its just the same with our work here. Except some people can enter the different dimension and don’t start with the alien attacks. We have a countdown when was the last alien attack. We take it seriously.”

 

“You guys got the alien attacks too?” Chaewon interested to know more about their counterpart bureau. She knows every country has its own Mystery Bureau, but this is her first time meeting with the overseas agent.

 

“Yeah, but its seasonal. Most of the time, the locals thought its just supernatural. So I don’t need to alter their memories.”

 

“Altering their memories? Like in Men In Black movie? With a pen?” Chaewon fascinated to learn their different tactic in memory alteration.

 

“Nah, alcohol is sufficient,” Nako laughed.

 

“Then how bout the kids?”

 

“Oh that’s easy. We will alter using cartoon that can be quite similar to what they’ve seen and altered it to be a ghost encounter or something alike but not much to the point it will scar their childhood.”

 

“That sounds like mind manipulation.” Chaewon feared for her life for a second. Seeing Nako is matter-of-fact about the erasing of the kids’ memories like it’s a walk on the beach.

 

“Well, then how you guys did it? With a pen?”

 

“No, we use something else.”

 

“Like what?”

“Alcohol, candy, sometimes. Variety of ordinary objects.” Chaewon answered and chuckled, seen Nako’s shocked expression.

“! Oh my god, that’s brilliant! Why we didnt think of that!” Nako exclaimed loudly.

“But method must be used sparingly to avoid mass alteration,” Chaewon added.

“Have you read Miyawaki Sakura’s file?” Chaewon peeked at the shorter girl.


” Yeah, on the flight. But I like to go over it later while having a meal. Is it ok with you?” Nako tried to be polite, knowing some people prefer to eat their meal in complete silence.

“Sure, and we just arrived at the best kimchi jjigae restaurant in Seoul.” Chaewon announced with a small grin, and Nako mirrored her partner expression with a big grin.


Nako’s frowned.

 

“She seems like a normal girl. I was expecting some weird cat-lady who believes in alien domination or believes the mummy in Egypt is just another trace of alien. I get it right, she’s a cat lady, but she doesn’t seem like conspiracists that we always see in our job. A fresh of air. Its making her more mysterious.” Nako chewed after a long commentary of her opinion.


”To me, this type is more dangerous. As you can see, she’s a famous YouTuber, got a silver play button, and from our investigation, her YouTube income generated at least 100k USD a year.”

 

“Wow, that’s impressive,” Nako praised.

 

“With her popularity, she can be the centre of conspiracists and simultaneously influencing the normal audience,” Chaewon argued.

 

“What is her stance on alien?” Nako asked.

 

“We dont know that yet,” Chaewon took a glance at the restaurant, exercising extra caution to prevent anyone from overhearing them.

 

“Well, we can find out soon.” Nako smiled, feeling satisfied after a hearty meal.

 

**

 

“So that’s your boss?” Nako asked with a cocky grin. Her partner has warmed up to awkward Chaewon faster than she has expected. Her shorter partner has equipped Chaewon of her dating stories with aliens over kimchi jjigae and its such a bizarre experience to her.

 

“Yes, my team leader.” Chaewon inner self can already predict what’s the answer coming out from Nako’s mouth.

 

“She’s hot. You know I always like older girls. And I don’t mind if she ties me up on the bed.”

 

Chaewon shuddered at the thought. Chaewon looked intently at Nako, up and down, before giving her the verdict.

 

“You’re not her type, Nako.”

 

“Maybe. But I have my game. Watch me.” Chaewon can merely shake her head. Seems Nako has a double mission after arriving in Korea.

 

“Her Japanese attempt is really cute, like a baby,” Nako said with an awestruck expression like a schoolgirl discovered their crush likes them back.

 

“I guess you never see her yelling in Korea.” Chaewon commented impassively.

 

“Oh my god, thats really hot.”

‘Lord Saviour, please help me from this midget,’ Chaewon silently uttering her second prayer of the day. Its been a long day.

 

“Ok, as much as I can see your adoration to Eunbi unnie seems at all times high right now, even though she only talked to you less than 10 minutes, we need to tail our target, Miyawaki Sakura.”

 

“I just subscribed to her YouTube account yesterday and seems like she’s going to have QA session soon. I think its good for us to join without raising any suspicion,“ Chaewon continue to share her plan to Nako.

 

“Nice, Chaewon-chan. I can rely on you more from now on,” Nako joked.

 

“Please don’t.”

“Easy there, baby cheetah. I’m joking. Your plan is good and we can learn more about Miyawaki Sakura with the Q&A session.”

“As much as I hate this assignment, we need to do well or we both might face the mighty Eunbi’s wrath,” Chaewon spoke with a solemn expression.

 

“That’s ing hot!” Nako said dreamily failed to notice Chaewon’s serious tone.

 

**

 

It’s been hours scouring on the internet in her quest to learn more about Miyawaki Sakura. Chaewon stretched her limbs and straighten her back. She has been watching the YouTube videos of the pink flower (the code name for Miyawaki Sakura) nonstop since 9 am when her shift started, and now it’s almost at the end of her shift.

 

Her partner, Nako has mysteriously disappeared after excusing herself to the ladies around 4 pm.

 

‘Maybe she’s not used to Korean food which is spicier than average Japanese food.’

 

Chaewon examined her notes. After diligently watching all pink flower’s video, she found out that the pink flower loves pink and has pink hair. Enormous eyes almost like doe- eyes and has big, cute ears. Her left hand has 2 moles where if she pinched in between the 2 moles, it will appear like an elephant. A cute elephant. The pink flower listed that as her gag talent and her physical charm. Her height is around 163cm, almost similar to Chaewon’s height. Terrified of ghosts, but despite her fear, the pink flower keeps popping up at the weirdest places in the earth that have linked with aliens even though it’s unknown to the public and that's spelt trouble.

From what Chaewon can deduce, the pink flower is really smart. A curious and self-learning. Her manner is polite even when handling some unwanted haters (haters everywhere). However, the pink flower is sneaky whenever her subscribers asked her motive to travel to a remote place (especially the places that have aliens vibe) she just chalked it to her eagerness in exploring the uncharted places where normal, the average h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter