a rush at the beginning; i get caught up, just for a minute

the louvre
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

All Joohyun’s day consisted of was unpacking, arguing with Wendy about how she brought too many belongings, and brewing multiple cups of coffee with their shared coffee machine. Their spring semester starts tomorrow, and thanks to both of their procrastinating personalities, they pushed unpacking their belongings and properly organizing their apartment to the last minute. 

 

“I told you we should’ve organized everything throughout the week,” Wendy grumbled, hauling her enormous box of clothes.

 

Joohyun rolled her eyes, putting her decorations lights on her door, “You were expecting me to say no. Even if you were somewhat serious we still would’ve done everything last minute.”

 

Wendy laughed, cutting the box open with a kitchen knife that was unnecessarily huge, “You got me there.”

 

They’ve been organizing since the morning and it was already nine at night. Both Joohyun and Wendy were running on nothing but god knows how many cups of coffee, and Joohyun didn’t think she could pull off any more attempts at silencing her grumbling stomach. 

 

“Wendy,” Joohyun finally said, looking at her roommate with expectant eyes. “Aren’t you hungry?”

 

Wendy groaned, “Yes, I’m absolutely starving. I honestly didn’t want to say anything because you didn’t seem hungry.” 

 

“You don’t even know how many times my stomach grumbled,” Joohyun laughed. “Should I run to a restaurant nearby and get some take out for us?”

 

“You don’t have to ask me twice. Take my wallet on the counter, dinner’s on me tonight,” Wendy pointed to their kitchen counter with her knife. 

 

Joohyun immediately gets up from the floor and shoots her a finger heart, earning a joking eye roll from her roommate. 

 

“What are you feeling tonight?” Joohyun asks, pocketing Wendy’s wallet. 

 

“Ooh, there’s this new café on our street. Just turn right and go straight. You’ll see it, it has a bunch of pretty lights at the entrance,” Wendy says, turning her attention back to her box. 

 

Joohyun nods and calls out before closing their door shut, “Alright, I’ll call if I can’t find it!” 

 

Their apartment doesn’t have an elevator, so she has to run down several flights of stairs to finally get to the first floor. It wasn’t the best, but it’s close to campus and doesn’t have rats occasionally running around like some of the other apartments she’s visited, so she decided she had no right to complain. 

 

Once she stepped out of the building, she shivered. It was early January so it was the coldest time of the year; she really should’ve worn a thick jacket before leaving. There was still remaining snow on the ground from when it snowed last week, so she walked carefully so that her new shoes didn’t get ruined. 

 

She speed-walked in the direction Wendy told her to go in, hugging herself in attempt to bring a bit more warmth to her body. In the distance, she saw a brightly-lit store; she hoped it was the café Wendy was talking about— her legs were starting to feel numb due to the cold. 

 

“There it is,” Joohyun told herself, running into the café. Immediately when she entered the doors, she was embraced by the warm atmosphere. The inside was even prettier than it seemed from the outside, and Joohyun looked around in awe as she admired the aesthetic decorations. 

 

“Welcome!”

 

Joohyun jumps; she almost forgot why she was here in the first place. She laughs in embarrassment, turning to face the worker, “Sorry, I get scared easily.”

 

When she made eye contact with the owner of the voice, needless to say, she was surprised. The girl was beautiful. She was giving her the most breathtaking smile Joohyun has ever laid eyes on, one that made her feel so at ease she wondered if she knew her from somewhere. 

 

“Don’t worry about it, it’s my fault, I was just excited because we haven’t had customers for the past three hours,” the girl says sheepishly, rubbing the back of her neck. 

Joohyun smiles. She’s cute, she thought to herself. 

 

“Anyway, what can I get started for you?” The girl asked, eagerly tapping at her screen.

 

Joohyun glances at the menu above the girl’s head, trying to calm her nerves as she felt her eyes watching her. 

 

“Umm,” she says, biting down on her bottom lip, “Do you have any recommendations?” 

 

“Well, I don’t really like salads so I don’t know if I would be much help if that’s what you were feeling, but I personally like the pizza and sandwich.” The girl replies, sounding slightly embarrassed. 

 

Joohyun couldn’t help but smile back for no reason. “I’ll get both of those for takeout then, please,” she says, handing her Wendy’s credit card. 

 

The girl lightly pushes Joohyun’s hand back. “It’s on me,” she smiles. Before Joohyun could protest, she disappears into the kitchen.

 

Joohyun’s speechless. Was this girl hitting on her? 

 

She sits down in a chair nearby and placed her hand over her heart; like she thought, it was racing uncontrollably. Joohyun doesn’t even know her name and she was already a mess for the girl with the brightest smile she’s ever seen. 

 

— 

 

When she got back to her apartment, she and Wendy happily ate their meals. Joohyun wasn’t sure if it was her empty stomach or the fact that the cutest girl she’s ever seen bought her meal, but it was the best dinner she’s had in a long time. 

 

After a few more hours of organizing, the two were finally satisfied with the way their apartment looked. Although there were some bags that were shoved into their closets due to their laziness, they were happy with their work. 

 

It was three in the morning, and Joohyun could hear Wendy’s soft snores next door. She couldn’t get her mind off of the girl with the smile at the café. 

 

For some reason, she felt like she had to get to know her. She’s not sure if it’s because she’s attractive or because she bought her meal, but she knew that she had to go back to the café to see her again. 

 

She gets up from her bed and rummages through her closet, thinking of every possible outfit combination to wear tomorrow. Joohyun can’t deny it: she has a crush on the girl with the smile. 

 

 

—- 

 

Joohyun’s an art major. She’s known that she wanted to be an artist since she was young— there was just no doubt about it. 

 

The first thing she did, even before learning to walk,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter