09

Confessions of a Friend

[Author's Note: My ultimately neglected fic. I'm so sorry for not updating, I'm running low on ideas for this one. ㅠㅠ]

---

 

 

Min looked at the calendar hanging on the wall. December 28. She smiled to herself as she was finishing getting dressed. The 29th marked the first month of her and Jinwoon’s relationship. Neither of them had realized how fast time had gone, but they had no complains. She had no idea what Jinwoon had planned for their first monthsary, or if he even planned anything at all, but after their first date at the beach a month ago, she couldn’t help but be a little expectant. She was excited for the next day to come, even if it marked the start of multiple year-end shows on various broadcasting networks. She checked her reflection one last time, pleased with how she looked. She was planning to surprise Jinwoon with a visit during his practice to bring some sandwiches she had prepared herself.

 

Namja chingu! Where are you? Min texted

Yeoja chingu! Still at the studio, just finishing up practice. ^^ What’s up?

Oh, nothing~ Work hard, fighting! ^^

 

Jinwoon hung the headphones on the mic stand and gave the person outside the soundbooth a thumbs-up. Their vocal goach reciprocatied the action and that was Jinwoon’s signal that his daily vocal training was over.

“Good work today, Jinwoon.” His vocal coach said, leaning back on his swivel chair. “And no practice tomorrow, by the way. You need a couple of days to rest your throat for the year-enders.”

“Ne, hyung, thanks.” He flashed a smile before leaving the studio.

Min saw Jinwoon emerging from down the hall and a smile grew on her face. She was about to approach him when she saw him stop in his tracks and took out his phone. He looked at the screen as he brought it to his ear. “Hello? He picked up. His lips curled into a smile. “Oh, ‘Cole ah!” Jinwoon leaned on the wall and Min found herself listening in. “You want to hang out? Tomorrow?”

Min’s ears perked up, her grip on the container in her hands tightening. She didn’t know why she was so nervous.

“I don’t have anything planned, tomorrow sounds good.” He finally replied, “Before Gayo Daejun? Okay. Where? You want to go to the carnival? Sure, sounds good to me.”

Min retreated back a few steps, her expression falling, not wanting to admit that Jinwoon had not made plans for them. She turned at her heel and started walking towards the elevator. She pressed the down button and waited. Within a minute, her phone rant, Jinwoon’s name flashed across her screen. “Hello?”


“Min!” Came in Jinwoon’s cheerful voice.

“Hey.”

“Hi! Where are you? I feel like getting ice creams. Let’s go, my treat!” He invited, his voice sounding eager, like a kid.

“Do you have plans tomorrow?” Min asked bluntly and tried to keep her voice cheerful.

“Uh.” There was a slight hesitation in his tone. “Nicole just actually called me. She said she wanted to hang out tomorrow, before the Gayo. So, yeah, that.”

“It’s the 29th tomorrow.”

“Oh? Is it?”

“Doesn’t ring a bell?”

“Ne?” There was a long pause, and then Jinwoon gave a silent gasp. “The 29th! Ah, I forgot! It totally slipped my mind! I thought it was the 27th today!”

“Yeah.” Min stared in front of her as the elevator doors opened.

“I’m sorry, I’ll cancel with Nicole. Min, I am so sorry.”

“I… I have to go, manager oppa’s calling. Gotta go, bye.” Min shut her phone before Jinwoon could say anything else. She slipped in the elevator and pressed for the lobby. She sighed and looked at the Tupperware in her hand.

“Hold the door!” Came a voice from down the hall. Min looked up and pressed the open button, opening the elevator doors again. Junho came in a few seconds later. “Oh, hi Min!”

“Hi, oppa.” Min greeted back.

Junho pressed for the 2nd floor and the doors closed. “What you got there?” He asked, eyeing the lunchbox in her hand.

“Just some sandwiches.”

“For Jinwoon, I bet? I heard you two were dating! Congrats!” He flashed a smile, his eyes disappearing just like Jinwoon’s.

“Thanks. Um.” Min opened the lid and held out the sandwiches. “Oppa are you hungry?”

“I thought they were…?” He looked at the sandwiches. Min shook her head and insisted he take one. “Well, thanks. I am pretty hungry.” He took one and bit it, examining the taste in his mouth. “Chicken? Ah, my favorite!”

“Really? Mine too!” She smiled. “I made the chicken spread from some leftover chicken we had lying around. It would be a waste to throw them away.”

“It’s good!” Junho took another bite.

“Would you like some more, oppa? I made plenty.”

Junho looked up as the elevator doors opened on his destination floor. “It’s okay, I’m good with just one. You should give some to Jinwoon, he’ll love it for sure. He’s upstairs at the recording studio.” He stepped out and looked back at Min. “Thanks for the sandwich!” He waved as the doors closed.

 

“Yoboseyo?”

“Nicole?”

“Jinwoon!” Nicole smiled, sitting upright.

“Are you busy? What are you doing now?”

Nicole glanced at the set at Gyuri, who was still in the middle of her photoshoot. “I’m in a shoot right now, but it’s still Gyuri unnie’s turn. I just had my make up done, and now I’m just waiting. What’s up?”

“Uh well, I’m gonna have to cancel our plans tomorrow. I forgot I had something to do.” Jinwoon’s voice was apologetic.

“Is that so?” Nicole was nodding slowly. “Recording?”

“Not really. First monthsary.”

Nicole cleared . “Ah, Min, right? Congrats.”

“Thanks.” Jinwoon chuckled. “I’m such a babo though. I completely blanked out on dates, I kind of forget it was tomorrow.”

“It’s really okay, we can hang out some other time.” Nicole said as brightly as she could. Hara sat beside her and gave her a questioning looked. Nicole covered her phone’s mouthpiece and mouthed Jinwoon’s name.

“Jinwoon ah!” Hara called out.

“Hara says hi.” Nicole giggled, hitting Hara’s arm then moving away.

“Yah, Jung Jinwoon!” Hara said again, tugging at Nicole’s arm, taking her phone from her. “Jinwoon” She put the phone to her ear. “When are you coming over again? We haven’t seen you in forever! Fill up Nicole’s fridge with chocolates again!”

“Hi, Hara. I miss you too.” Jinwoon was laughing.

“Miss you, too.” Hara slapped Nicole’s hand away when she tried to retrieve her phone. “But, really, chocolates, okay?”

“Yah! PD oppa’s calling you!” Nicole forcefully grabbed her phone and pushed Hara to stand up. “Go, go!”

“Bye Jinwoon!” Hara laughed and shouted to the phone before walking to the set, looking back and sticking her tongue out at Nicole, who grinned and did the same.

“Sorry about that.” Nicole spoke back into her phone.

Jinwoon was still laughing. “No problem. I’m used to your hyperness. You two are weird.”

“Hey, you’re lucky you’re my best friend, or I will hit you when I see you.” She threatened teasingly.

“But you hit me regardless!” Jinwoon said with a whine.

“True.” Nicole giggled again. “So…”

“So, we’ll reschedule, okay? I’m sorry again.”

Nicole’s smile was slowly fading, and she gave an inaudible sigh. “Of course. Just tell me when. Enjoy your monthsary with Min.”

“Thanks, Nicole, you’re the best!”

“Ah…  Oh, hey, the director’s calling. I gotta go. Bye.” She clicked off her phone and tossed it in her bag, slumping down on her seat as she watched Hara continue on with her photoshoot.