final.

snowglobe

The winter's night was freezing as Yoohyeon trailed her way through the city, though it seemed surprisingly dead for the late night of Seoul.

 

She had just gotten off work, the exhaustion finally taking over as she stumbled her way around the store rimmed streets. Yoohyeon fixed her blouse and readjusted her belt, continuing her bee line home directly after. That was, until she got distracted.

 

Thanks to the open door and the bright lights that shone through the door, Kim Yoohyeon was witnessing a heated argument between a very built man, and an extremely beautiful woman. Who, to Yoohyeon, seemed like she was beyond her last nerve.

 

"I TOLD you it wasn't going to be enough!" The man shouted at the woman, throwing pens at anything and everything.

 

"I wasn't sure! If we hadn't hired more people it wouldn't have happened now would it?" The woman fired back.

 

"It's either YOU..." Yoohyeon heard before the door shut.

 

The stranger balled her fists, and just like that she slammed her badge down on the table, walked out the door, and slammed straight into Yoohyeon.

 

Unbalanced on her heels, the (almost) shorter of the two went crashing down, pulling Yoohyeon with her.

 

"Oh my.. are you okay?" The woman said before she stood up, dusting her blazer with her right hand, and extended her left to help Yoohyeon up.

 

"Yeah, yeah I'm alright. Are you?" Yoohyeon responded, the tiredness almost reaching her eyes as she smiled to the stranger.

 

"Yes, I'm okay, thank you." The stranger said and smiled back at Yoohyeon.

 

As soon as Yoohyeon felt the regret, she knew what she had to do.

 

Or, she thought of the only thing she knew how to do.

 

"Hey, I'm sorry about being in your way. Would you mind if I buy you a coffee some time to make up for it?" She said, the awkwardness she felt laced in her voice like a poison she would drink herself.

 

The woman laughed softly and said, "Maybe if we run into each other again." Before walking off in the opposite direction Yoohyeon was headed.

 

And God, did she hope they'd meet again.

 

17:35. December 23rd, Seoul, South Korea.

 

It seemed like Yoohyeon would get her wish.

 

After another long, stressful day at work, the tall girl saw her again, across the street.

 

The beautiful stranger.

 

The falling snow semi-blocked her vision. But Yoohyeon, being the extrovert she is, waved to her and ran across the street.

 

As soon as she got there, though, the woman was looking at her in pure disbelief. And Yoohyeon's first thought was to apologize profusely.

 

Though, before she could say her seventh "I'm sorry!", the woman cut her off and said, 

 

"Ready for our date?"

 

18:03, Seoul, South Korea.

 

They were walking towards the coffee shop, and Yoohyeon could feel the awkwardness in the air, nice and thick. Suffocating.

 

Not to mention her overthinking about why the woman said 'date', definitely didn't make it any better. The taller woman was practically twiddling her thumbs in anticipation at this point, because she wasn't sure if she'd ever see her again.

 

And thankfully, the woman broke the silence. "I guess you'd need to know my name before you bought me a coffee right?"

 

Yoohyeon nodded, "Right! right, what is your name?"

 

"Minji. Kim Minji." The not-so-stranger anymore responded. "And yours?"

 

"Kim Yoohyeon." She said with a soft smile,

 

"Your name is beautiful" Yoohyeon mentally slapped herself for saying that without thinking.

 

"Thank you. yours too, Yoohyeon." Minji said, returning the same amount of warmth in her smile.

 

Yoohyeon looked at her for a while on the walk,  taking in every part of the woman's features as if she was going to fade into nothingness at the slightest touch.

 

In enough time, they reached the coffee shop. Yoohyeon pushed the door open and said, "Ladies first." the playful hint in her voice definitely was one of her best charms.

 

Minji laughed and strutted inside, playing along with Yoohyeon's game. She held her hand to her face and said, "Oh how hard it is to walk to the line by myself, I need someone to hold my hand."

 

And Yoohyeon did just that.

 

They sat for a while at table #12. Near the back, directly beside a window. Perfectly romantic for a winter's night.

 

The ambiance was perfect in the cafe, and Yoohyeon couldn't help but stare at the wonderful woman in front of her. The moonlight shining off of the snow outside accentuated Minji's features in a way not even Yoohyeon could describe.

 

Her and Minji talked for quite a while about interests, age, their family, and winter. And boy how Yoohyeon couldn't shut up about winter.

 

Unfortunately, that ran her time out. 

 

Minji took the last sip of her coffee before saying her goodbyes to Yoohyeon, and she'll never forget what the latte foam tasted like as Minji's lips met hers.

 

She didn't know that would be the first, and last time she saw Minji.

 

That night, as Yoohyeon was walking home, she still smelled the scent of coffee. And everything felt so surreal.

 

As if her world was picked up, shaken, and placed back on to the windowsill to be watched for its beauty.

 

Like a snowglobe.