Final

Christmas Proposal

Yoongi was never one to enjoy the Year-End holidays. When he was a child, he liked Christmas because he liked receiving presents but as he grew up, he understood that it was all commercial and it disgusted him. He still liked the exchange of presents but he didn’t feel the same thrill as he did as a kid. The New Year was only the New Year for Yoongi, nothing really exciting in his opinion.

But when he met Seokjin, it all changed. Seokjin loved Christmas, it was his favourite day along with Valentine’s Day. Seokjin loved the songs, the food, the clothes, the decorations, the atmosphere, he was a Christmas maniac. Even if Yoongi didn’t like Christmas, he found the way Seokjin got excited and amazed by everything endearing. Every year, they would kiss under the mistletoe and exchange presents just the two of them, escaping their families.

This year though, they wouldn’t be able to go see their families. Because of the pandemic, they were forced to stay at home. Yoongi wasn’t really bothered by it, the only person he liked to see was Jungkook, his little cousin, and his boyfriend Jimin. Seokjin was also sad that he wouldn’t be able to see his parents and his cousins Namjoon and Hoseok. Seokjin’s little brother Taehyung was in Japan anyway so he knew that he wouldn’t have been able to see him. But even if it was a shame, they were glad that they’d be together at least. Good thing they decided to move in together 2 years ago!

Just like every year, on the 1st December, Seokjin would begin decorating their house, putting up tinsels and mistletoes everywhere, forcing Yoongi to come with him to choose a tree and making hot chocolate once they’d be back home. The only part of their house Seokjin was forbidden to decorate was their bedroom. Yoongi was totally against it. He didn’t want little Santas looking at him and Seokjin making love, that’d be super weird. Seokjin agreed since he could decorate the rest of the house, even the bathroom. The only thing Yoongi liked to do was decorate the tree because he liked the domesticity of it. How Seokjin would tell the story of every little decoration, where he’d find them and why he’d bought them. Yoongi could listen to him for hours, his soft voice lulling him.

This year was a special year for them. It was their third Christmas in their own home and their sixth anniversary. Yoongi had asked Seokjin to be his boyfriend six year ago, on Christmas Eve. To mark the occasion, Yoongi wanted to gift Seokjin something special. He had thought about it for months, had talked about it with Jungkook, with Namjoon and with Hoseok. They had all said that it was a great idea and Yoongi was forced to believe them. He didn’t have that idea out of nowhere anyway. It was how he was feeling and he was sure that it was what he wanted. The only problem though, was Seokjin. First of all, because he had that annoying and amazing ability to guess Yoongi’s gift every year. Secondly, because Yoongi wasn’t sure that Seokjin wanted the same. They had talked about it and Seokjin had been clear about wanting it but sometime, in the future.

Thinking of that, Yoongi deeply sighed.

“Are you having trouble with choosing, Sir?” the sales assistant asked him.

“No, that’s not it. I’m just a bit nervous.” Yoongi replied, embarrassed.

“Are you going to propose for Christmas?” she asked.

“Yes. I’m not sure about their answer so I don’t know if I should do it at all.” Yoongi explained.

“How long have you been together if I may ask?”

“It’s our sixth anniversary this year.”

“I think you’ve been together long enough to have spoken about it at least once, right?” Yoongi nodded. “I’m sure your partner will love the ring and if they don’t agree now, they’ll agree in the future. And after six years together, if they don’t want to get married, I don’t think that it really matters. Labels aren’t that important anymore. Just being together and in love is enough, don’t you think?” the girl said, smiling.

“You’re right.” Yoongi replied. “But, just in case, I’ll take this ring embedded with pink sapphires.”

Ten minutes later, Yoongi was in his car, driving back home, the little velvety box in his pocket.

“I’m home!” he said, as he entered, greeted by Holly, his and Seokjin’s dog.

“I’m in the kitchen, honey!” Seokjin answered.

Yoongi hung his coat on the coat rail and went straight to the kitchen, back hugging his boyfriend.

“I missed you.” He said, inhaling Seokjin’s sugary scent.

“We saw each other this morning but I missed you too, darling.” Seokjin said, leaning into Yoongi’s touch. “How was your day?”

“Tiring. There’s this singer who had to come today to record but their manager forgot to tell me that they’re in quarantine.”

“This stupid virus is messing everything up.” Seokjin said, turning to face Yoongi and kissing him. “Look, I’ve made Christmas cookies, do you want some?”

“Only if you have hot chocolate.”

“As if I’d propose cookies without hot chocolate.” Seokjin said, giggling and placing some cookies on a plate before leading Yoongi to the couch on the living room.

“I’m so sad that we won’t be able to see our families this Christmas! I was looking forward to it this year!” Seokjin complained, taking a sip of his hot chocolate as Yoongi tasted a cookie.

“You always look forward to it, dear. But I feel the same. It will be a bit lonely without your dad cracking stupid jokes every five minutes.” Yoongi said, joking.

“Anyway, we’ll still have a good dinner and that’s all that really matters!” Seokjin exclaimed, clapping his hands and taking a cookie.

“You’ve been making cookies all afternoon?” Yoongi asked.

“Yes. And thinking about what present you’ll give me this year.”

“Have you got an idea?” Yoongi asked, crossing his fingers that Seokjin wouldn’t guess.

“Not really… You’ve given me the best presents I could ask for these past years and beside a trip to Paris, there’s nothing much I want. But I know you can’t afford it right now and it’s not a good idea either so I know that’s not it. For the first time in almost six years, I have no idea what your present will be.” Seokjin admitted.

Yoongi smiled, relieved that Seokjin didn’t have a single idea.

“I’m sure you won’t be able to guess this year. And there’s not much time left for you anyway, Christmas Eve is tomorrow.” Yoongi stated, feeling a tad happier.

“You’re right. But you don’t know what I’ll give you either so it’s okay.”

The couple spent the evening eating cookies, drinking hot chocolate and went to sleep quite early, in each other’s embrace.

 

The next day, Yoongi woke up early, admired Seokjin’s sleeping figure and went to prepare breakfast. He made some pancakes and brought them to the bedroom on a trail, waking Seokjin up.

“Honey, wake up… I’ve made you breakfast.” Yoongi began with a soft voice, shaking his boyfriend.

Seokjin’s eyes stirred open and he smiled widely when he noticed the trail.

“Good morning.” Yoongi said.

“Good morning. It’s been so long since you last brought me breakfast to bed. I like it.” Seokjin said, sitting up and leaning to peck Yoongi on the lips.

“I just felt like it.” Yoongi replied, shrugging.

 

The couple spent the rest of the day cooking, for lunch first and then for dinner. Before eating dinner, they decided to call their relatives first to wish them a merry Christmas and to see what they’d be eating. When they were done talking to Taehyung, they finally sat down at the table, starting with the turkey. Seokjin liked to do things the “American way” so every year, they would prepare a small turkey (as small as a turkey can be) and eat it first before the traditional rice cake soup, braised beef short ribs and half-moon shaped rice cakes. While eating, they decided (more like Seokjin forced Yoongi) to watch the Christmas movie that was broadcasted that night.

“Baby?” Yoongi began when the movie was finished.

“Yes?”

“I know you like to exchange presents on Christmas Day rather than on Christmas Eve but can I still give you your present right now?” Yoongi quietly asked. It wasn’t the moment to lose his nerves.

“Of course you can darling. But don’t feel too nervous, I’m sure I’ll like whatever you got me.” Seokjin replied, taking Yoongi’s hand and smiling warmly.

“Let me just go get it.” Yoongi said, going to the bedroom to fetch the box.

When he opened the little drawer and took the box in his moist hands, he suddenly felt scared. What if Seokjin rejected him and decided to break up with him? What if Seokjin laughed at him, thinking it’s a joke? But he breathed deeply a couple of times and went back to the living room. He tried to wipe his hands on his jeans and hid the box behind his back, going to sit beside Seokjin who was now sitting on the couch.

“It seems kinda small.” Began Seokjin, trying to lighten the mood. He could see how nervous Yoongi was, he was even paler than usual.

“It is. But it’s actually kinda heavy.” Yoongi said. “It took me a lot of time to finally decide to gift you this. I wasn’t sure at the beginning and even after having bought it, I’m still not sure it’s the right thing to do. Maybe I should have bought you that customised knife you wanted. Today is Christmas Eve but it’s also our sixth anniversary. Do you realise how awesome it is? We’ve been together for six years and living together for three. Every morning and every evening, I fall more and more in love with you. I always tell myself that I can’t love you more than I already do and every time, I find myself wrong.” Yoongi took a deep breath before continuing. “That’s why, today, on Christmas Eve, on our anniversary, I want to ask you a question.” Yoongi took the box from behind him and opened it, revealing the ring. “Will you marry me?”

Yoongi braced himself for the rejection but after a several seconds, he felt Seokjin grab his hand.

“Yoongi-ah. Look at me.” The older softly said.

It had been very long since the last time Seokjin had called Yoongi by his first name. He always called him by a pet name. Yoongi exhaled slowly and looked at Seokjin. It broke his heart to notice that he had never looked so beautiful.

“Yoongi-ah… Is that it? Was my gift the proposal?” Seokjin asked. Yoongi nodded. “And why were you so nervous? Did you think I was going to reject you?” Yoongi nodded again. “You’re really the stupidest person I’ve ever met!” Seokjin exclaimed, laughing.

Yoongi was stunned, not comprehending the situation.

“What? What are you saying?”

“Baby, of course I want to marry you!” Seokjin replied, squeezing Yoongi’s hand.

“B-But you said you weren’t ready! You said you didn’t want to get married before a couple years!”

“I know that’s what I said. But I didn’t think you would propose before at least 2 or 3 years! Since you’ve proposed to me now, I’m telling you that I would gladly become your husband.” Seokjin answered.

Yoongi smiled, he smiled so wide it hurt. He never thought he could be happier than he already was.

“I’m so relieved! So, so relieved! I really thought you would reject me! I love you so much.” He said, tightly hugging Seokjin.

“I love you too. I don’t wanna ruin the mood but do you plan on slipping this beautiful ring on my finger?” Seokjin asked, making Yoongi giggle.

He took the ring from the box, lightly grabbed Seokjin’s left hand and slipped the ring on his ring finger.

“Now you’re officially my fiancé.”

“And I’ve never been so proud of anything.” Seokjin said, kissing Yoongi as if he kissed him for the first time.