Final

Scarf
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For the past three years Park Jihyo had noticed something about the blonde woman who worked in finance. She wore a faded and somewhat tattered scarf whenever the weather turned cold. There was something annoyingly familiar about the ugly thing. It didn't suit the beautiful blonde at all and it made her want to destroy the frayed scarf.

For the first time, their two departments were having a joint Christmas Party. With a little pressure on a coworker, she'd been able to get the blonde as her Secret Santa. At first, she'd thought a store bought scarf would suffice. However, the gossip chain had told her not to bother. For the last two years, her coworkers had all tried to give her a replacement scarf and she'd thanked them but NEVER used them.

It had been years since she'd knitted, the last time had been a complete fiasco which had turned her off to the activity. As she selected the proper yarn, she reflected back on that time and wonder why the blonde had captured her attention so deeply to make her willing to do this again. She'd only been eleven at the time when she knitted a scarf for a neighborhood boy she'd had a crush on. He'd turned out to be a complete jerk and that had been the day she'd learned to never judge a book by its cover.

She remembered the way the boy had thrown away her gift calling it ugly and useless. At the time she'd cried her eyes out, another boy had come up to her to comfort her. He looked like a street kid, shabby clothing and a smudge of dirt on his cheek. Poorly cut blonde hair hung like a shaggy mop, half obscuring his expressive hazelnut eyes. It was those eyes that had been so gentle and understanding that had her trusting him instantly. They had spent the rest of the day together and the hug she shared with him was the only one that had ever caused her heart to race. The memory of him wrapping the discarded scarf around his neck and smiling at her was one she cherished deeply.

Turning her mind back to her current situation, she thought about the blonde in finance. She was really beautiful, taller than some men and elusive as a deer in the woods. The only name she'd been able to connect to her was Minatozaki as she never spoke her full name aloud. Other than the grumpy old man in HR and the woman's direct manager, she doubted anyone else in the company knew what the blonde’s full name is. She'd heard plenty of guesses from her colleagues but somehow neither of those names seem right.

Minatozaki was an incredible worker who was rising fast in the company. She is helpful and considerate to all which made it difficult for anyone to dislike her (not that anyone can dislike the beautiful woman). She didn't have any close friends but had become the office mother, tending to minor injuries, lending an ear to those who needed to vent and bringing treats in on special occasions. Plenty of guys had tried to hit on her when she first started working in the company but she'd always politely declined them. Now, she was seen by the men as an idol to be worshipped from afar and no longer badgered for dates.

 

The first time they had worked together, there had been this awkward moment when the blonde had called her by her first name and she'd stupidly asked if they'd met before. The confused look on Minatozaki's face quickly straightened to bland before she apologized, "Sorry, I am so used to hearing you called by your given name in the office. Please forgive my impudence Ms. Park." From then on, the blonde had been coolly formal with her.

There were times she swore she'd seen Minatozaki staring at her from across a room but it always turned out to be a mistake. Maybe the woman was just sensing her watching her like some creepy stalker. No matter how much she denied it to herself, she was silently growing more and more obsessed with the blonde. Learning what things she enjoyed and disliked, and most importantly if she was dating anyone. Because in the last decade and a half, she'd come to realize she was biual though the guy had to be very pretty to be of any interest to her.

Sitting on her couch knitting she had to smirk to herself. The little ragamuffin who'd comforted her all those years ago had been very pretty for a boy. In spite of his terrible haircut, she'd noticed he had the longest eyelashes she'd ever seen framing those mesmerizing eyes. His pale skin though smudged with dirt had been smooth and delicate. His ill-fitting clothes hadn't been able to hide a slim build more suited for a young girl. Maybe it was that day her tastes began to shift from the traditionally masculine types of guys to the quiet gentle type.

The day before the party she finished her present, holding it up she had to admit she'd done a very good job. The blue yarn made from alpaca wool had turned into a warm and comforting scarf that anyone would be proud of wearing. Folding it neatly into a box, she wrapped it in festive paper and placed a bow on it. This year, Minatozaki would be wearing a new scarf even if she had to wrestle her to the ground and tie it on her herself.

The night of the party, Jihyo looked over the crowd and couldn't find Minatozaki. Her worried look had one of her coworkers asking her what was wrong.

Sighing she took a deep drink before admitting, "I was wondering where Minatozaki is."

There was a knowing look on the woman's face before she said quietly, "You know, I think you actually might have a chance there. I've seen her looking at you a few times."

A conflict of emotions erupted in Jihyo's chest; hope, fear, denial, and pride. If anyone was going to be with the golden goddess it should be her. Maybe she was being presumptuous but she couldn't see any of the men in the company being a good match for her. Then she shook herself, she wasn't going to be that kind of person. She'd been on the receiving end of men's attention based on the assumption that they were the best for her. The f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter