Birthday

Birthday

Birthdays.

 

To Bora, they're just like any other day. Except for the fact she always felt so sad and lonely, her birthday always go like any other day to her. Nobody seem to know her birthday, and she doesn't have that many friends either. You would think that having little but very close friends would make things great, and for many things that's true. But even for how close she and her friends were, they never seem to remember her birthday.

 

Not even once have she recieved a happy birthday from them.

 

She always silently hoped that they're pretending to not remember and told her a happy birthday at the end of the day, but after many years of hoping she finally gave up. She never expected a happy birthday from anyone else but herself anymore, and always ended up celebrating with herself at the end of the day in her room, partying with loud music and acting crazy as if her friends are there to celebrate with her.

 

She even went to the extent of buying herself a cake and some presents to feel good since nobody will do that for her. That yearly cycle happened again today, as she forced a smile for herself as she set up the cake she bought for herself on the table, followed by lighting a few candles on it. "Its just me again this year i guess..." She bitterly said as she sat down on the chair, clasping her hands together together to pray before she blew the candles.

 

She then proceed to cut herself a slice of the cake, looking down at it for a moment. "Happy birthday Kim Bora!" She tried to sound cheerful for herself once again. "Thank you!" She replied to herself as she started digging into the cake. The sudden silence in the room is painfully gloomy, but that was soon broken by the sound of her ringtone. "I wonder who's calling at this time of night." Bora put down her plate to see the caller ID.

 

Lee Siyeon.

 

Her face immediately lit up, making her hurriedly answer the phone. "Singnie~" She smiled as she spoke to the person on the other line, a new friend she made just earlier this year. "Are you at home right now?" Siyeon asked from the other line, her voice somewhat hopeful. "Yeah, i am... why?" Bora was confused for a second, but before she got to questioning anything else, she was cut off.

 

"Alright then!" Siyeon abruptly said before hanging up, leaving Bora alone in silence once again, the brightness immediately faded from her face as she let out a sigh. She actually thought Siyeon was different and might remember her birthday, but maybe she's wrong... Again. Bora was just starting to sulk alone again when she suddenly heard her doorbell ring. 'I wonder who that is?' Bora stood up from her seat to answer the door, and was suddenlt greeted with Siyeon holding a huge cake in her hands, along with a few bags dangling from her arms.

 

"Happy birthday Bboya!" 

 

Bora immediately broke down in tears as she saw this. Nobody has ever told her happy birthday in a long time, let alone visit her with cake. "Eh? Are you okay? Why are you crying? Did i make you sad?" Siyeon panicked as the girl infront of her cried even more. Bora removed the cake from Siyeon's hands and put it on a bench before hugging her tightly while crying onto her shoulders.

 

"Wh-What's wrong?" Siyeon returned the hug, but still in major confusion. "Thank you! Thank you so much! I'm so happy!" Bora sobbed, but she smiled. She smiled so widely before pulling off from the hug and looked at Siyeon in the eyes. "I'm sorry... come in! Please?" Bora invited Siyeon into her house, helping the other girl with her stuff while she's at it.

 

"Sorry about earlier... Its just that, nobody ever remember my birthday let alone told me happy birthday, so i just usually celebrate by myself every year..." Bora kept wiping tears that still occasionally drop onto her face. Siyeon stood on her spot for a while, looking at Bora in shock. How is it that NOBODY have remember her birthday for so long, to the point she celebrates alone every year? Siyeon found this quite ridiculous. 

 

"Well... You can celebrate with me this year! Come on, i bring lots of food and we can watch movies after!" Siyeon proposed, giving Bora another smiled before sending off a nod of approval. The two ate alot, laughed alot, watched movies, and even went crazy and set up a makeshift karaoke with speakers on full blast through the night, Bora didn't have anything more to ask for. She didn't want anything else, no fancy parties, no other happy birthdays, not even the thought of her other friends celebrating with her.

 

Because to her, Siyeon being with her today is the best birthday present she could ask for.

 

---

 

Just a short little fic i wrote on wattpad a while ago and decided to post it here! I made this fic from my own experience with one of my bestfriends. I hope you enjoyed it!

 

- Author 💕