Absolute (one shot)

Absolute [One shot]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

It was unusual for the one month old coffee shop where Mina works to be this empty especially on a Monday morning. It made her think that people actually woke up late, all at the same time, and choose not to grab some coffee. But she's not complaining because less customers mean more time for her to read her books and prepare for their college's upcoming midterm examination.

 

"Mina," someone snapped her fingers in front of her face to get her attention. Mina blinked her eyes several times to refocus her vision at the sudden intrusion. Sana, her friend-slash-coworker, put on her mastered puppy dog eyes and pout combo. 

 

She just rolled her eyes and went back to reading. While the lack of customers allowed  Mina a lot of free time to study, it gave boredom to Sana.

 

"C'mon, Mina. You're no fun. It's just a dare," Sana whined. But no, there's no way that Mina will waste her precious time in such a nonsense dare.

 

Mina is a type of person who doesn't like to back down from challenges, especially if that can make her brain work and can stir her curious mind--but Sana's dare is not one of them.

 

"Why would I date random people and ask them to score my dating skills after? Sana, that would be so weird. You're not making any sense," Mina replied, her eyebrows meeting at the middle of her forehead.

 

It's not a secret that Mina is very popular in their university because of her outstanding academic performance and elegantly pretty face. She has had a lot of suitors from left to right but Mina has never been in a relationship. According to Mina, no one caught her attention yet. There was one time that she almost considered a potential love interest but she doesn’t want to talk about it anymore. 

 

So lately, whenever she notices how stressed she is about school and work, Sana kept on bugging her to get herself a boyfriend or a girlfriend. Because apparently, being in a relationship helps, which is ridiculous if you will ask Mina's opinion about it.

 

"It's a dare so it has to be unique like that. And besides, you’ll get free lunches from me for a month if you get at least a passing score of 5/10," Sana matched her words with her crazy hand gestures as if she was in a debate trying to prove her point.

 

Mina sighed as she closed her book. She scanned the shop to look for a specific person who was always there to meet her friend. 

 

"Dahyun is right there at the corner waiting for your attention," Mina points at the girl at the corner of the shop, who was also busy studying for her midterms exams. 

 

There was around 5 minutes of silence before Mina heard Sana speak once again.

 

"Okay.." Sana whispered.

 

Mina turned her head to Sana's direction. She found the jolly Sana slowly leaning her head on the table and releasing sigh after sigh. “I’m sorry. It's just that Dahyun is so busy..”

 

Mina closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She knew that Sana's energy went down and she's seriously out of the mood. Whenever Sana was like this, Mina couldn't help herself but to give in.

 

"Ugh… fine," Mina let out a long sigh. "I'll do it." 

 

Sana's eyes sparkled, but before she was able to hug her, they heard the shop's door chime. Mina fixed her hair and wore her best smile before rushing to the counter to assist their first customer of that day. 

 

Mina's gummy smile vanished when she recognized the person standing in front of the counter. The first thing that Mina noticed but chose to ignore was the fact that this person looked stunning in her neatly tied up blonde hair, her full bangs framing her pretty face.

 

"Yoo Jeongyeon," Mina breathed, her hand finding its way to scratch her nape. It's like a mannerism that Mina always does whenever she knows that something is about to test her patience. Jeongyeon's lopsided smile was admittedly cute and it irked her. 

 

"Hi-" Jeongyeon started but was immediately dismissed by Mina.

 

"The usual?" Mina interrupted, wanting to get over the whole placing-the-order process as soon as possible. She threw a sharp glare at Sana, who was indiscreetly giggling at the side.

 

"Yes. How's your-" unbothered, Jeongyeon tried to make a conversation like she always did. She is aware of the cold shoulder treatment but is totally in the shadow as to why Mina hates her when she used to smile sweetly at her before.

 

"Please wait for your name to be called," Mina cut her again, not allowing her to make a conversation.

 

Okay.

 

Don’t get her wrong. Mina is nice. Her personality is one of the reasons why everyone around her adored her. She's polite and would always entertain people with a smile. 

 

But Jeongyeon is a different case.

 

At first, Mina found her charming and sweet. She even had a crush on her that she considered giving her number if ever Jeongyeon asked for it. Mina, being used to attention, was aware that Jeongyeon has been hitting on her since day one. 

 

A few weeks after, Jeongyeon went missing for a couple of days. When she finally showed up at the shop, she was with a pretty woman which Mina assumed was her girlfriend. There was no way that the woman was just a friend because she kept on kissing Jeongyeon’s cheeks and they were holding hands under the damn table!

 

And yet, Jeongyeon never stopped hitting on her! The whole idea of Jeongyeon flirting with her while having an actual girlfriend made Mina’s blood boil whenever she thought about it.

 

"I'm good. I will just wait for my order here," Jeongyeon smiled, unfazed. She made eye contact and leaned closer to the counter. The proximity made Mina catch a whiff of Jeongyeon’s perfume that she used to like. She rolled her eyes and turned her back to make the coffee.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter