Chapter 1: The Mission

Undercover: The Traitor

Two knocks were heard on the double door of the large office room. A middle aged man sitting in the middle of the desk looked up from his paperwork. “Come in,” he called out as he closed the file in his hand. 

 

A young man walked in. He walked to the front of the man’s desk and bowed. “You wanted to see me sir?” 

 

“Ah yes, Captain Kim as the leader of the special operative team, I am assigning you guys a very special mission” 

 

Captain Kim nodded his head, “What is the mission sir?” 

 

The middle aged man stood up and walked towards a blank white board. He flipped it around revealing photos and threads connecting information to one particular photo in the middle of the board. Captain Kim’s eyes scanned the board curious to what the mission is about. 

 

“This man,” he pointed to the photo in the middle. “His alias is called Stingray. We aren’t particularly sure what his real name is as he also goes by different names according to multiple informants” 

 

“Why are we looking for him sir?” 

 

A sigh escaped his lips as he looked at Captain Kim quite solemnly and sternly. “This man is highly wanted by many nations. We have negotiated with all of them that we would handle the situation as he is a Korean Citizen. This man, sells highly sensitive information to North Korea, Russia, and China. He is considered a traitor of the nation. He must be dealt with immediately” 

 

Captain Kim couldn’t help but look surprised. “How is that possible sir? I have never seen him at any governmental functions for our nation” 

 

“He is the leader of the operations, but he has multiple people working for him. Spies or I like to call, other traitors. They not only leak the information of our government but have leaked government information on the United States, Canada, and Australia. Since we have close relations with these countries, the president has instructed me to find the best team to carry out this mission” the middle aged man said. 

 

“Director, if I must ask. How are we to find this man?” 

 

“We have been tracking this man for quite some time. We have quickly learned that he currently resides in California, United States of America” 

 

“If he’s in California, why is the US government not doing anything about it?” 

 

The director let out a hearty laugh. “You are full of questions today, aren’t you” 

 

Captain Kim bowed and apologized. 

 

The director chuckled and waved his hand. “No, it’s good to question. You like to understand the severity and the logistics of the mission. I like that about you. This is exactly why I had chosen your team specifically. You are great with detail and you get the job done” 

 

“Thank you sir. That means a lot to me” 

 

The director walked towards his desk. He opened a cabinet behind his desk that revealed a safe. Quickly putting in the code, he pulled out a hefty file. He handed it to Captain Kim. 

 

“This is every information we have of Stingray. To answer your question to why America has not done anything, it’s because we negotiated with them on how to handle the situation. As a Korean citizen we are taking sole responsibility for his bad behavior. This is to show our allies that we are serious about the relations we have with these countries. Additionally, it would not be great PR for the country. We are already under the watchful eyes of the world with the current standings of how North Korea is handling these leaked information,” 

 

“I understand sir. How are we going to carry out this mission?” 

 

The director walked back to his desk and sat down. He pulled out five US Passports. “With US being our greatest ally, we were able to receive US Passports for your mission. You guys will be going undercover to locate and return Stingray. Prior to the start of your mission, you and your team will have to go through intense training on the information and to learn English well. Your team must pass as US Citizens” 

 

“I understand, when does the training start?” 

 

“Tomorrow at nine in the morning. Bring your squad here for a briefing and we will get started. We need the mission to be carried out in a months time. Are you ready to accept your mission Captain Kim?” 

 

Holding a salute and standing tall and firm, Captain Kim responded firmly, “Yes Director!” 

 

“At ease, you may now leave” the director waved him off. 

 

As Captain Kim was about to leave the office, the director called after him. “Taeyeon” 

 

“Yes sir?” 

 

“You must not tell anyone about the mission your squad is going through. We have leaks around that we do not know of. This could put your mission in danger and put your team on danger. You guys need to be very careful. Understand?” 

 

“Yes sir!” 

 

“Good. Have a good day!”

“You as well sir,” Captain Kim bowed before leaving the office. 

 

——

 

“Captain Kim! How was your meeting with the director?” 

 

A chuckle escaped Taeyeon’s lips. “Always so eager to know more. Can I get settled in first and we can all discuss the mission I was given?” 

Feeling slightly embarrassed the young man smiled sheepishly, “Yes sir. Sorry, sir” 

 

“It’s okay. And Yoong, you don’t have to be so formal right now. We are at our dorm, not at work right now. You can be relaxed. How many times do I have to tell you that” Taeyeon chuckled. 

 

“I’m sorry, I just…. I don’t want to dishonor your or anything” 

 

“You’re a good man. I’m going to take a quick shower; will you gather the entire squad to meet in thirty minutes?” 

 

“I will!” 

 

——

 

As Captain Kim walked into the room, the rest of the boys in the room stood up straight. A chuckle escaped the young captain’s lips, shaking his head. “You boys are being too formal, relax. We’re all friends here” 

 

“Captain, you’re about to tell us our next mission. This is a formal mission” said one of the tall fellows. 

 

“I know, but we’re all friends. We’re in the comfort of our own home, so lets be informal” Taeyeon smiled motioning for them to sit down. 

 

Once they were all sat comfortably, Taeyeon pulled out a thick file from his briefcase. He pulled out the photo of Stingray. “We are going undercover. We need to track and bring this man back to Korea” 

 

“What did he do?” Questioned one of Taeyeon’s comrades. 

 

Pulling out more files and placing them side by side on the table, Taeyeon explained, “This man goes by man alias. The government is unsure of his real name. He has been selling inside government information to North Korea, Russia, and China” 

 

“A traitor!” The youngest of the guys gasped. 

 

“Yes. He is currently residing in California-“

 

“If he’s in California, why are the Americans not doing anything about it?” Someone interrupted. 

 

A small smile showed on Taeyeon’s lips. “You know, I asked the director the same question Yul. However, because this man is a Korean Citizen and not an American citizen, the president and prime minister negotiated amongst the countries that have been victims of Stingray. To keep good relationships amongst these countries, our government thought it was best to handle it ourself. Our citizen, our responsibility” 

 

“That makes sense. When do we go get him?” 

 

“We start training tomorrow. We must learn English and at least pass as Americans to the average eye. We leave a month from tomorrow the latest. There are more information we need to be briefed on. This could be a very easy mission or a very difficult and dangerous mission” 

 

“Why would he be dangerous? This man looks like he can’t even fight anyone” mocked one. 

 

“He is deemed dangerous because he had insiders working for him within the American, Canadian, and Australian governments. We are not completely sure what his reach is and what he is capable of doing. We don’t know for sure if he’s armed either since he has multiple names under him” 

 

“This sounds very complicated. How are we going to find him?” 

 

“We will be working closely with some of American Government militants. They have been tracking and watching his whereabouts. They will pass us any information we need to complete the mission when we arrive” 

 

“This seems like an intense mission” 

 

“I believe we can do it. I know what you guys are capable of. You guys are the highest amongst the special operatives in the Korean Marine Corps. WE can do it” smiled Taeyeon.

 

A loud stomach grumble echoed in the room, causing everyone to look at the tallest member in the group. They all burst out laughing. 

 

“What? I’m starving” the tallest pouted. 

 

“Sooyoung, when are you not hungry?” Taeyeon chuckled. 

 

“While I’m eating” Sooyoung grinned sheepishly. 

 

“Go eat. This is all I know and have about our new mission. We need to be at headquarters tomorrow for training at nine in the morning” 

 

——

 

One Month Later. 

 

“Captain Kim, First Lieutenant Kwon, First Lieutenant Kim, Sergeant Major Choi, and Master Sergeant Im. You guys have completed your training quickly and effectively. You are now ready to begin your mission” smiled the Director as he walked in front of the young men standing side by side in a straight line. 

 

The five young men stood straight and saluted together with a quick command from Captain Kim. 

 

“We won’t let you down sir!” Answered Captain Kim. 

 

“Make your country proud men,” the director saluted them and had them stand comfortably. “We have arranged your flights to leave in the next few hours. Here are your temporary passports for the time being,” 

 

The director passed out their respective American passports. “Upon arrival to LAX, someone will meet you at the airport. They will take you to your housing, provided by the US Military. Show upmost great respect and behavior while on their soil” 

 

“Sir yes sir!” The men responded.