bribery

Ultimately

She's quiet, she's sheepish, and she's ridiculously bad at Math. A D in the first probability statistics test is the daylight-clear evidence.

It has been two months and even though Byulyi doesn't visit the bar no more, she can't help keeping an eye on Hyejin.

Byulyi, for her teaching purposes (at least that's what she told herself), look through Hyejin's profile when she has the chance. Top-notch results in the entrance test, that's something. However, for someone with such stage charisma and enchanting voice shown at the bar, she is uncommonly absent from almost every extracurricular activity. No record in singing contests, no record in local auditions. Currently, Hyejin's about to fail in her class if she keeps this pace.

As if Byulyi would let that happen.

Nevertheless, the younger proves to be the hard one to chase after. She has the gut to run away from the class right when the bell rings, effectively uses Wheein as a shield every time Byulyi approaches them. "You should discuss it with the Student President, seonsangnim", Hyejin said, eyes hidden behind long tresses of hair, not looking straight at her like Hwasa did. Byulyi can hear her voice clearly even if she's not here.

"Tsk."

"Anything wrong, Moon-nim?" a colleague tips her head back, sympathetic smile points at Byulyi. "Problematic student?

Byulyi looks up from the profile, smiles back. "Not really, Seulgi-ssi."

Seulgi glances at pieces of paper in her hand, exclaims. "Is that Ahn Hyejin's file? I know her, the Art Department is just sooooo whipped for her, wanted to have her in the main team after she graduates and all, but none of them can catch a glimpse of the girl once the class is over." Seulgi explains. "I would never know why, she behaved pretty mild in my History class."

Byulyi hums, amused at the news.

New information sparks her curiousity.

How can Art Department want to recruit her if she has less achievement than most of, if not all, students in is the university? If she's not mistaken, tutors in Arts subjects are pretty famous in the nation, and pretty picky about their descendants.

The shift in dynamics is addicting and bothering at a time. Many mysteries are answered, and many are presented themselves. But none would be confirmed if Hyejin keeps running from her like this.

Byulyi sighs.

She just has to make her use that way.

-

Okay, good, there's no silver head, no woman in suits tonight.

Hyejin hides behind the curtains, anxiously looking around her territory. Her customer of the night is not yet to arrive, and again, she finds her mind drifted back to the new teacher. Once Moonst-- no, Moon Byulyi's identity is revealed, it sends her on a one-way train to hell. Being a singer and waitress in the bar is her main income, she would do anything to secure her place. Even though Byulyi hasn't talked about that issue, but the idea of bribe Byulyi's silence has already on Hyejin's mind. However, she has a feel that it wouldn't work. And neither would do. Byulyi is not Lia, not someone she can lure into lust, for God's sake. She can report her job to the school's managers anytime.

"Looking for Byulyi?"

A soft voice caresses her eardrum, breaths warm on her ears. Too concentrated on the dance floor, Hyejin's alert is completely off. 

"Yes... I don't see her anywhere, must be a good sign..."

"That's just a sign for you to get a pair of eyes behind your head."

"Wha-- AGHHHH!!!"

"Hey, hey hey," Byulyi backs her to the glass window, a hand muzzles her scream and hold both her wrists in the other. Staring hard into Hyejin's eyes, she waits a bit for the student to calm down. Hyejin is trembling in her grip, uttermost scared.

Outcry dies down after moments even though her pulse is still beating hard under Byulyi's fingertips. "It's okay, it's just me. Don't scream again, okay, I don't want the bouncers to think I kidnap you or something."

Hyejin nods weakly, orbs filled with shock and fear. The last time they were in this position, she sure didn't feel this terrified.

Dropping her hand, Byulyi tries hard not to think too much about the lipstick mark on her palm. She clenches her hand into a loose fist, intends to inspect it further later. Not now. Now she is having a lion to tame. 

"What the are you doing here?", Hyejin blurts as soon as is free, voice childish and high pitched. Cute. "You must not be here, we can't be seen together!"

"Why not? I come here as a customer. It has been awhile."

"You are my teacher!", she stares back, as if Byulyi just said the stupidest thing on Earth.

Byulyi's eyes lit up with amusement, causes the edge of her lips to curve up to a playful grin. "So you know. By your behaviour, I seriously think I'm your jailer."

The younger woman groans, pushes Byulyi away. On her red stilettos, Hyejin walks back and forth, seemingly troubled with all these problems come at her. Byulyi plops herself down on the velvet couch, silently waits for her woman to find out the thick bag of documents she brings along.

Besides, she enjoys the view.

Of all the women she could've fallen for in this world.

Curvy bodies and full thighs, wide hips and breathtaking bosoms. Byulyi wants to sink her teeth into that tan skin, marks left on the canvas named Hyejin, catching the real person behind all that facade and despair. Her fingers itch for these strings that hold Hyejin clothed. Just a light pull and then--

It was a little annoying, the way this little enchantress manages to occupy her mind. She finds herself thinking of Hyejin at the most random times possible. Byulyi knows too well she does her service for money, as requested, despite how intimate their nights are. Byulyi asked for her songs and her vocal, her time, and more than that. She created a world in a bubble for both of them, maintained by her wallet. Now, the twist forces them back to the ugly reality, and Byulyi doesn't know what to do, doesn't know whether to listen to her mind or her heart.

"Okay, okay, we have to have a deal.", Hyejin nods as if agreeing with whatever just pops up in her mind. "I will refund all your purchases,"

Byulyi grimaces at the word used. Hyejin doesn't notice, keeps going on with her rant.

"If you let me alone. No string attached, acts like you don't know me, please."

If Byuly was a little poorer than she is, if that wasn't Hyejin - Hwasa - standing in front of her, she might consider that. God know the girl costs hefty.

But, Byulyi shakes her head. "I don't need money."

"Name your price, whatever to keep my job in secret."

This, is what she's waiting for.

"Get an A in the midterm test, how about that?"

"An A in what?" Hyejin scoffs, eyes open wide, scandalized. "In your subject?"

"Yes."

"You must be ing crazy, oh God."

The younger buries her face in her hands, frustrated. Of all the thing Byulyi could ask for--

"But it's not like I won't provide any help.", Byulyi says, slowly lifts the woman's head up to face her. She faces the younger. "I offer you three extra lessons at 6pm, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, if you are up for it."

Hyejin sneers, her brows ceases to a deep frown. This statement, however, proves useful. Byulyi sees Hyejin thinking hard right in front of her, expressions change as she weighs her options.

"Have to be Friday? I have night shift on Friday."

"That's my last deal, no adjustment provided.", Byulyi firmly replies.

Removing herself from Byulyi's hold, Hyejin gravely sighs. "Fine. Extra lessons at 6."

"Great. Then that's a deal. Now, mind you pouring champagne for us while I find some exercises for you to work on before our class? To seal the deal."

Hyejin groans loudly, and Byulyi reaches for her bag with a chuckle as well.

That's the deal.

-

Byulyi crawls up from the floor when the doorbell rings, hurriedly turn off the TV. It's been sometimes since she has a guest since most of her friends stay abroad and she hasn't gotten that close with any of her colleagues, so this is the first time her house is bared to someone other than herself.

Pats on her shirts one more time, she bolts to the door, opens it with a bright smile.

"Hi! Come in, Hyejin-ah."

"Good evening, seonsangnim.", Hyejin mumbles, muffled behind her thick jackets.

Not a winter person, maybe?

"Unnie is alright."

Hyejin doesn't bother answer. Carries a notebook with her, she goes to the dining table where Byulyi instructs her to. It's been cleaned for their lessons, a small blackboard is installed on the kitchen wall as well.

Byulyi sits opposite to Hyejin, grinning as she receives back the exercise she gave her student last week. "Any difficulty with this?"

"A ton. I just don't get Math. It should be burned and sent to the deathliest Hell.", Hyejin sulks at the papers. She hates Math, and now possibly hates Byulyi even more than she hates that evil subject.

"Well, I'm sure most mathematicians are at Hell, Hyejin-ah." Byulyi laughs, shakes her head. "But their achievements stay. So now it's our job to deal with it. Come closer, this problem I've already taught you in class, it can be solved like this..."

Tries her best not to be nasty, Hyejin looks over the table. She sighs.

However protest she is, their private class has officially started.