Final

We Could Be

Minnie couldn't detach her eyes from the woman sitting at the bar.

 

She observed as she gulped down yet another drink and sighed. The woman's eyes then found her and she smiled.

 

"One more, please!" she shouted, reaching out her glass.

 

"I think you've had enough."

 

"Last one?"

 

Minnie smiled, "Where are your friends?"

 

"I'm on my own tonight."

 

"You should call someone to pick you up then."

 

The woman pursed her lips before answering. "Alright," she said, putting her glass back on the counter. She retrieved her phone and frowned after a few seconds. "Forgot my password."

 

Minnie gaped at her a few seconds before taking the few steps separating her from her colleague and friend Soyeon to inform her of the situation. The latter was in the middle of preparing a drink and didn't even bother to look up from what she was doing.

 

"Just throw her in a taxi," she said.

 

"Wouldn't that be dangerous? I mean, what if something happens to her?"

 

Soyeon scoffed, finally sparing the other a glance. "You watch the news too much."

 

Minnie glanced at the woman once again and the idea simply didn't sit well with her. "I'll go with her after the closing," she said.

 

The look that Soyeon shot her clearly meant 'Why would you do that?' but she didn't voice it out, choosing to shrug instead. "As long as you end your shift." She then walked away to serve the customer, a professional smile immediately back on her face as she told them to enjoy it.

 

Minnie went back to the woman. She was playing with the numerous cocktail umbrellas from her previous drinks and looked up when she felt Minnie's presence.

 

"Do you know my password?" she asked with a blinding grin.

 

Minnie chuckled at that before speaking. "Sorry, I don't," she leaned onto the counter. "Is that alright if I get you home myself?"

 

The woman's eyes blinked for a moment but she soon beamed once again. "Of course!"

 

__

 

"I'll finish, go," Soyeon said after the bar had gone devoid of anyone except the staff. They still had to clean and tidy up before leaving.

 

"Are you sure?" Minnie asked.

 

"Yeah. I'll keep an eye on her while you change."

 

"Thank you," Minnie said with a grin. Soyeon was like that, acting detached all the time but actually very considerate.

 

She rushed to the locker room and changed into her everyday clothes, discarding her uniform in her bag. Coming back, she asked the woman for her ID and received a frown as an answer. "I'm an adult, no need to check my ID," she argued.

 

After (painful) minutes of explaining that of course you're an adult but I need your address and no, I'm not gonna rob you, the customer finally agreed. However, what she took out of her bag was her credit card and the two barmaids suddenly realized that she hadn't paid for her drinks yet. Soyeon grabbed the card at lightening speed, looking horrified as if she had almost made the biggest mistake of her life (which was probably true).

 

Meanwhile, the woman finally put the right card out after spreading half of her stuff on the bar and proudly handed it to Minnie. Taking it, Minnie's eyes caught the picture and she had to suppress a gasp. Apparently not even an identity picture could make the woman look bad. Looking to the side, she read a name.

 

'Cho Miyeon'

 

For some reason, she felt the urge to try it on her lips.

 

__

 

Minnie was glad when they finally arrived in front of Miyeon's building. She had trouble not falling asleep during the ride. Exhaustion had taken over her as the car lulled her body. She had successfully distracted herself by looking through the window, lights and shadows dancing together in the night. Helping Miyeon out of the car, Minnie informed the driver that she would be quick. He cheerfully told her to take her time. The timer was still counting up after all.

 

Fortunately, Miyeon naturally led the way to her apartment, Minnie only having to follow her. The problem was that she was way too excited. Minnie tried to shush her but it was to no avail as the other continued giggling for literally no reason. By the time they were in front of the apartment and Minnie had been trying to make the other open the door for what seemed like hours, what had to happen did happen. A man suddenly opened his front door only to shot the most threatening glare that Minnie had ever witnessed.

 

"Do you know what time it is?!" he hissed.

 

"I'm sorry," Minnie was quick to bow while Miyeon just kept laughing, "she's a bit tipsy."

 

"'A bit', you say?" he snorted and violently slammed his flat's door, the sound resonating through the whole corridor.

 

Ironic for someone complaining about noise, Minnie thought.

 

Sighing, she ped Miyeon's purse. They had to get inside as soon as possible. boundaries. (Ok, not boundaries but that will have to wait for now). Founding what she was looking for, she opened the door and shoved the both of them inside. She didn't want to risk having another neighbour shouting at them (mostly at her since Miyeon didn't even care).

 

Her hands found the switch and she flipped it to turn on the light. She was greeted with the sight of a perfectly ordered apartment. It looked like one of those pictures you see in those catalogues trying to sell plethora of furnitures that people don't even need.

 

Miyeon happily plopped down on the couch and Minnie wondered what she should do next. She had one (self-attributed) job, taking the other home alive, and it was accomplished. Should she leave already? She was about to, but then she started thinking about the terrible hangover that would await for her in the morning. Soyeon was right, she was too nice.

 

She made her way to the kitchen and voices suddenly filled the silence as she filled a glass with tap water. Going back to the living room, she handed it to Miyeon who had settled on watching some cartoon with groggy-looking eyes. Her previous energy seemed to have disappeared as if by magic.

 

"Let's get you to bed, okay?"

 

Miyeon nodded as she put the glass down and walked towards the bedroom. Her eyes closed as soon as her head hit the pillow. Minnie guessed that her job was done and was about to move back when she felt a touch. She looked down only to see a hand loosely grabbing her own.

 

"Goodnight," Miyeon whispered.

 

"...Goodnight," Minnie answered after a moment and the other had a small smile. She allowed her eyes to close once again, fingers letting go of the barmaid's hand.

 

Minnie's palm was still tingling when she remembered that an uber driver was waiting for her and rushed out.

 

That uber bill was going to be deadly.

 

__

 

That uber bill had been deadly.

 

But she didn't care.

 

Because in exchange she was rewarded with a warm feeling in her chest everytime she would think about that night. An unruly smile would play on her lips as she would remember Miyeon's drunk energy and the latter's laugh would ring into her ears. She would end up spacing out, wishing that she could go back to the memory.

 

"Wipe that stupid smile off your face and help me set the tables, would you?"

 

Minnie landed back on earth harshly as Soyeon's voice mercilessly dispelled her daydreaming. Right, she wasn't with Miyeon. She was at the bar, working. Or at least, supposed to work. She quickly resumed doing so, thankful that their boss handn't noticed her slacking off once again. At that point she was starting to worry about the possibility of losing her job.

 

Get yourself together, Minnie, it's not like you'll ever see the girl again, she reminded herself.

 

Well, it turned out that fate had other plans.

 

There she was. In the same grocery store that Minnie had been shopping at for years. Tucking a strand of hair behind her ear as she was standing in the meat section, eyes scanning the shelves. Should she approach her? She didn't want to be a bother. But she probably would regret it if she didn't. Her chest was tight as she moved forward.

 

"Did your neighbours kick you out?" Minnie internally cursed at her stupid brain for not coming up with a normal conversation starter, like, you know, hello.

 

Miyeon eyed her from head to toe and raised an eyebrow. "Excuse me?"

 

Oh crap. She didn't remember. Of course, she had been drunk. Minnie hadn't even thought of that. And now she had made a fool of herself and-

 

"Wait, are you... the barmaid from that night?" she blinked.

 

"Uh, yeah..."

 

"Oh, hi..."

 

There was a blank during which Miyeon looked at her expectantly. "Oh, sorry. I'm Minnie," she extended her hand.

 

Immediately, the same toothy grin that had enchanted Minnie was back. "I'm Miyeon," she said as she shook the other's hand and Minnie thankfully managed to hold back the cringy 'I know' that almost escaped from . "Thank you so much, Minnie, I don't know what would have happened to me if it wasn't for you."

 

"It was no big deal," Minnie smiled. It was a big bill though, she swallowed the stupid joke.

 

"But still, please let me repay you. They make really good pastries in a café nearby, you have to try them, I offer."

 

"You don't have to do that."

 

"I insist."

 

Minnie ended up accepting.

 

"By the way, I didn't get kicked out," Miyeon said as they were on their way. "My neighbour have been throwing me death glares though," she chuckled.

 

They went to a café that Minnie would probably never had stepped into if it wasn't for the other. It looked fancy and the desserts were probably costly. Usually she would prefer more cozy places. But she couldn't deny the fact that the café was nice. Miyeon recommanded her one of the pastries and Minnie followed her advice.

 

Their orders arrived a few minutes later and she dug in.

 

"So?" Miyeon asked with expectant eyes as the food had barely entered the other's mouth.

 

Minnie's eyes slowly grew wider. "It's amazing."

 

"I told you so!" Miyeon beamed. Then she started eating her own piece of cake as if she had been waiting for Minnie to go first.

 

After that, they chatted while enjoying their dishes, learning more about each other.

 

"Were you celebrating something?" Minnie asked after some time.

 

"What?"

 

"You know, the other night?"

 

"Oh, no," Miyeon shook her head, "I actually broke up with my boyfriend- well, my ex and so the drinking happened..."

 

If Minnie hadn't expected that answer, she had even less expected to have all her fantasies ended by one word. Boyfriend. So that was it, Miyeon liked guys. And yet, she mentally cringed at herself for her train of thought. Miyeon was probably heartbroken at the ending of a real relationship that might had lasted for months if not years and there she was being disappointed about a crush she had had for only a few days and that she would probably recover from in no time.

 

"I'm sorry," she said, both because of the circumstances and her inner thoughts.

 

"It's okay, those things happen," Miyeon answered, a melancholic smile slightly strectching her lips.

 

__

 

They quickly became friends.

 

One month in and most of their free time was spent together. Miyeon liked to try new places and would drag Minnie along. Otherwise they would simply hang out in each other's flats.

 

Minnie had thought (and hoped) that her heart would calm down, given the fact that Miyeon wasn't even interested in girls, but the pull toward her had only grown bigger and bigger everyday. She couldn't stop thinking about the other, her fingers sending her texts before she had time to realize what she was doing. They would communicate that way all day long when they weren't together, and Minnie couldn't help the bliss bubbling inside of her everytime that her phone would vibrate.

 

So of course, her friends ended up noticing.

 

"Texting your girlfriend?"

 

Minnie jumped as her friend Yuqi leaned into her to peek at her phone.

 

"What? No, it's just Miyeon," she clarified. She had told her friends about Miyeon, only omitting a few details. Like how she had a hopelessly-forever-one-sided-crush on her.

 

"I'm sorry but 'Where are you? – Eating out with friends – Aww, I wanted to see you, I miss you – I miss you too' pretty much seems like what cheesy couples text each other."

 

Minnie wondered how much the other had seen but decided not to comment on that. "We're just really good friends."

 

"Well," Soyeon started while playing with the straw of her drink, "we're really good friends too but if you ever send me that kind of stuff I'll probably end you." Yuqi laughed and Soyeon was quick to glance at her. "Same for you, babe."

 

"Don't worry, I have some self-respect," Yuqi retorted to her girlfriend before turning her head back to Minnie. "Seriously though, are you sure that girl isn't biual or something? She's clearly hiting on you."

 

"She's not," Minnie unconsciously pouted.

 

"If you say so," Soyeon shrugged. "At least you knew before catching feelings," she added and Minnie only smiled, perfectly knowing how wrong her friend was.

 

She had long ago caught feelings.

 

__

 

"I can't believe the weather report betrayed us like that!" Minnie hissed while stepping into her apartment, Miyeon soon following her inside.

 

It was supposed to be a sunny day. They had made sure to double-check it would be before making plans. They had decided to go to the beach because they both hadn't been there for a long time. Yet, it hadn't taken long for them to feel little droplets on their cheeks as they were waiting for their bus. They had dismissed it at first. It could happen. It would soon be over. Well, what they had thought to be a temporary rainfall turned out to be a downpour and they soon found themselves running back from where they had came, completely drenched.

 

Minnie wondered if she was cursed. She had enjoyed the thought of going on a little trip with Miyeon. They would have had so much fun. And now they were back in her flat, soaked and cold. They might even end up getting sick.

 

Great.

 

She went to the bathroom and grabbed towels. Using one to dry her hair, she handed the other one to Miyeon and they laughed at each other when they were done. Their hair was totally messed up.

 

Without thinking, Minnie started to brush her hands through the other's locks, trying to fix them. "There, it's a bit better," she said after a moment, smiling and looking down to lock their eyes once again. Miyeon wasn't smiling anymore, just staring at her with an unreadable expression. Minnie was about to ask her if she was alright when Miyeon leaned in and Minnie froze as the other kissed her. It was merely a peck and didn't last long but Minnie could swear that her heart melted. So soon, Miyeon slowly pulled back, teeth chewing the lip that Minnie had just been kissing.

 

"Sorry, I shouldn't have done this," she said.

 

"I don't exactly mind, you know." Minnie chuckled as she found the other adorable. It was her turn to move forward, letting herself get a proper taste of the other's lips. Yet, Miyeon broke the kiss again after a few seconds.

 

"We can't do that... sorry."

 

"Why not?" Minnie asked and Miyeon only looked down. "Please talk to me... what's wrong?"

 

"Nothing."

 

"But-"

 

"I said nothing's wrong!" Miyeon suddenly raised her voice, a frown visible on her face as she looked up.

 

Minnie stared at the woman in front of her, more questions on the tip of her tongue but she preferred to swallow them down. "Alright," she took Miyeon's hand, squeezing it in a comforting manner. "I won't ask anymore. Don't get mad."

 

Miyeon's eyes started to gleam, and the view sent daggers into Minnie's heart. "I'm sorry," she said once again before completely bursting into tears and Minnie could only take her in her arms as she cried, wishing that she would at least know what was upsetting her.

 

__

 

Hi, this is Miyeon, I'm not available right now so leave a message after-

 

Minnie hung up. She didn't want to hear that line anymore. She had heard it way too much over the past few days. Miyeon was clearly ignoring her calls and she had no idea why she would do that. She had only earned a quick text in which Miyeon had told her that she was too busy to hang out. Suddenly, as if they hadn't spent the past month glued to each other.

 

She was confused. Miyeon had said that they 'couldn't do that'. What was that even supposed to mean? That they couldn't kiss or that they couldn't be together? And what would prevent them from doing so? These questions kept reeling in her mind. She had been keeping the matter away from her friends because she knew that they would probably overreact, but in the end she decided that she still needed to talk about it.

 

"So...", Soyeon started when Minnie was done telling her friends about what had happened, "where does she live?" Yuqi and Minnie stared at her in confusion and Soyeon went on. "I just want to talk."

 

Minnie chuckled. My cute overprotective dongsaeng, she thought.

 

"That girl just goes around kissing people to give them false hope?" Yuqi spoke. "She's got some nerves..."

 

"Why would she do that?" Minnie wondered.

 

"Some people are just evil," Soyeon stated.

 

"Incredibly beautiful but looks like a demon at second glance," Yuqi said dramatically as if she was quoting a theatre play when it was really just some song lyrics.

 

"I don't tkink she's playing around. I think she likes me."

 

"She said she doesn't want to be with you. Duh."

 

"No, she said we can't. It means she likes me but there's something keeping her away from me...right?"

 

Soyeon and Yuqi exchanged a quick glance before Yuqi slang an arm over Minnie's shoulder.

 

"You know, sometimes it's better to give up," she said and Minnie pursed her lips. Maybe she should listen to her friend. Yet, her guts were telling her otherwise.

 

"No, there must be something. And if she's not willing to tell me, I'll find another way to get an answer."

 

"How?" Yuqi asked.

 

"You'll see."

 

 

__

 

Elegant aura. Mole under the right eye. Red lipstick.

 

There was no doubt. She had found the one she had been looking for.

 

"Excuse me?"

 

The woman's eyes widened. "...Minnie-ssi?"

 

Miyeon had sometimes told Minnie about her best friend Soojin, even showing her pictures. She supposed that Miyeon had told Soojin about her too.

 

"Could we talk for a moment?"

 

"Well... sure."

 

They sat on a bench and Minnie didn't bother to waste time in small talk.

 

"Why is Miyeon ignoring me?"

 

"I'm sorry but I shouldn't be the one telling you that."

 

"Please, I really need to know. I don't get it. Is it because it's her first time liking a girl?"

 

Minnie was surprised to hear Soojin's soft laugh. "It's not her first time liking a girl."

 

"So she does like me..." Minnie couldn't help the foolish grin that bloomed on her face.

 

Soojin sighed. "I wasn't supposed to say that." She seemed to ponder but then she spoke again. "She's biual. But she's always ignored her attraction for girls. Well, she managed to do so until now, until she met you. She just can't stay away from you."

 

"She did pretty well over the past few days, though."

 

"Because now she can't lie to herself anymore. She can't pretend there's nothing going on between you two. But I know her and she misses you, believe me."

 

"But why doesn't she want to be with a girl?"

 

A flash of anger appeared in Soojin's eyes. "Her parents are homophobic."

 

__

 

"Nobody needs to know."

 

It was the first thing that Minnie said as a groggy Miyeon opened her front door in the middle of the night.

 

Minnie had had to go to work after meeting with Soojin and she didn't want to wait for the next day or whenever Miyeon would bother accepting to talk to her so she had made her way there immediately after leaving the bar.

 

Miyeon's frown slowly disappeared and morphed into something else as she recognized Minnie. "…What?" she asked quietly.

 

"I talked to Soojin."

 

Miyeon immediately stiffened, her eyes widening in shock. She opened as if to say something but no sound escaped her lips. She slowly went back inside, door still opened as a silent invitation. Minnie entered and closed it behind herself.

 

"Did someone break into your place?" she asked as she noticed the things scattered all over the living room.

 

"What?" Miyeon followed Minnie's stare. "Ah, I'm a little out of it these days."

 

She misses you, believe me.

 

She sat on the couch and Minnie mirrored her. After a moment, Miyeon spoke again.

 

"I know you probably think it's stupid but... I don't want to lose my parents."

 

"It's not stupid. It must be hard for you to be everything your parents hate." Minnie hesitated before slowly the other's cheeks with her thumbs, successfully erasing the tears that had rolled down there. "I don't blame you. And I still want to be with you," she smiled.

 

"You deserve better, we both know it. It would be so wrong." Miyeon avoided the other's eyes.

 

"It wouldn't. Look at me," Miyeon did as told, "it would be just the same, except we'll know what we mean to each other."

 

"Are you sure you wouldn't mind..?"

 

"I couldn't be more sure. I like you, like, a lot."

 

"I like you too," she answered urgently, as if she had been dying to say those words.

 

"So do we have a deal?" Minnie asked and Miyeon chuckled before nodding.

 

Minnie didn't waste a second before stealing the other's lips and when they pulled away, it was only to share a long stare, relishing in the joy of finally getting what they truly wanted.

 

Who they truly wanted.

 

"It's gonna be fine," Minnie said.

 

And Miyeon decided to believe her.