An Ordinary Day

An Ordinary Day

It was just your typical day in the lower dorm.

Nothing much to it, really. Umji up early in the morning, going out for her usual walk, back home by afternoon. Yerin up around noon, eating brunch, then going about her own daily routine. Yuju, up just before lunch, disappeared into the practice room at the company after that, and was not home yet as of the current time, where Umji was rummaging around in the fridge trying to decide whether grapes or peaches were a better idea for a late night snack.

“Grapes are less messy,” Yerin suggests from over her shoulder, ruffling the youngest’s hair affectionately as she passes by. Umji pouts, but takes the suggestion seriously. Now the question was, red or green grapes?

“Are you only eating dinner now?” Umji moves her head out of the way as Yerin’s hand snakes past her cheek to grab the kimchi inside the fridge. The older girl shrugs.

“I lost track of time,” pause, “and Yuju is late.”

Peering up above the rim of the fridge, Umji watches Yerin move smoothly to the other side of the kitchen to pick up the...peanut butter? The youngest watches with a kind of morbid fascination as the second oldest of the group rambles around the kitchen to grab seemingly random ingredients for some undefinable cuisine.

“Yuju-unnie was right, you do have strange food combinations…” Was that even edible? Umji certainly wasn’t going to try. She actually valued her stomach. Her ears twitched to the sound of the keylock combination being pressed at the door. Clearly, the last member of their dorm was finally home.

“Yah, Yuju, have you eaten yet?” Yerin calls out without even turning around, as the sound of footsteps pad around the corner, the tall vocalist poking her head into the kitchen with a weary grin on her face. 

“Sorry I’m late, I did remember to eat this time...why haven’t you eaten yet?” Yuju blinks slowly at the sight of Yerin making noodles at the stove. “...were you waiting for me?”

“Don’t flatter yourself,” Yerin snorts, and Umji raises her eyebrows at the combination of peanut butter and kimchi on the ramen from her vantage point at the fridge. Red grapes I guess, the youngest thinks distractedly, while trying to figure out how that particular combination would work on ramen. 

“Oh hi Yewon, you’re still up?” Yuju greets Umji with a friendly headrub, making the youngest sigh to herself again. She wasn’t that short so why was this a thing? She offers the box of grapes to Yuju still though, and the main vocal grabs one absently before wandering over to hug Yerin from behind while peering over her shoulder to see what the older was cooking.

“...I have no idea how you eat stuff like that,” Yuju comments after a moment, a chuckle under her voice. Umji chimes in with an agreement from the side, nodding furiously.

“I’ve only seen my pregnant cousin eat weird combinations like that.”

Yuju guffaws, resting her chin on Yerin’s shoulder as she tilts her face upwards slightly to catch Yerin’s eye roll with an amused expression.

“Is there something you’re not telling me?” Yuju wiggles her eyebrows exaggeratedly, a dramatic pout on her lips. Yerin turns off the stove, taking a taste of her concoction as she an eyebrow, and Umji could clearly see the gears turning in her birthday twin’s head. The baby of the group paused mid chew, wondering if it was too late to just make a run for it right now.

“Oh honey~ I was wondering how to break the news to you~” Yerin’s voice turns coy, dramatically putting one hand to her forehead in a fake swoon as she leans back into Yuju’s embrace, taking the joking singer off guard just a little. 

Yuju loops one arm more securely around Yerin to hold her up, but as if unwilling to let Yerin ‘win’ this faceoff so easily, her free hand slips down to Yerin’s abdomen, running her palm across the obviously flat stomach. 

“I-is it mine?” Yuju’s voice was shaky, but whether that was from suppressed laughter or if she was actually serious, Umji could not tell for one hot second. The youngest was wondering if she could just open the fridge and stuff the box back in before running back to her room, but for some reason she also kind of wanted to see the aftermath of this trainwreck of a skit. Curiosity could really be the death of a cat sometimes…

“You doubt me? How could you?” Yerin’s tearful response was equally dramatic, and Umji resisted the urge to clap in the background. She was equally tempted to look for hidden cameras at this point, but it was getting close to midnight in their dorms and the baby of the group was fairly sure this wasn’t for some kind of hidden camera antics.

This was just her unnies being her unnies. Absolutely ridiculous for sure, but she loved them still. Mostly.

Umji drew back from her internal musings and glanced back at the impromptu drama. Right. Of course. How did she even expect it to turn out any other way. It was clearly time to make like a Sowon-unnie and leave. Immediately.

The youngest clapped a hand over her eyes and backed up so fast, the couple kissing by the stove didn’t even notice her sudden absence. Or did they really?

Yerin broke the relative silence of the kitchen first, a lazy grin on her lips as she wiped the smudged lipstick away.

“Don’t think I’m going to forgive you so easily about forgetting our movie date, Choi Yuna.”

Yuju pouts, an apologetic frown wrinkling her forehead. 

“I’m really sorry...you get to pick the next movie then?”

“Obviously, it’s my turn anyway and I’m never letting you con me into watching a horror movie again.”

“Aw, but you screaming and clinging onto me was the best part!”

“Choi Yuna!”

“Do you think Yewon is going to come back out to put her grapes away though?”

“She took the box with her? ...and don’t change the subject, fool.”

Yuju grins, snuggling back up to an exasperated Yerin. It was rare when their roles reversed like this, but Yuju was feeling affectionate and more than a little apologetic for getting carried away doing work. Yerin sighs, knowing full well about Yuju’s one track mind when the latter gets focused doing something.

“Two romcoms, nothing less.”

“Ew.”

“Don’t make me make it three.”

“Fineeee...also, are you really going to eat that?”

“Why yes, do you want to share?”

“...I should just go take a shower now.”

“You’re missing out!” Yerin calls out as Yuju beats a hasty retreat. The lead vocal shrugs, grabbing the pot of peanut butter kimchi ramen. Not her fault the others didn’t appreciate her taste. 

As the clock ticks towards midnight, it marks the end of yet another peaceful (?) day at the lower dorm. 

And no, Umji did not leave the room until morning came. She knew better than that. Pity about the grapes though.

All in all, just another ordinary day.