One More Time

One More Time - One Shot
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghae was the star varsity soccer player in their school. He was on the field one day practicing with his team when he miscalculated his kick and the ball ended up going past the goal and hitting someone. He rushed to go to the person since it must have hurt. He saw the girl getting up from a crouched position brushing off the dirt from her skirt and obviously pissed off. He wanted to go back and pretend it was not him but the girl looked up and he had to apologize.

Donghae: I'm sorry, usually when we are in practice no one should pass by this area.

Dara: Why? Do you own the entire place?! This was my short cut to the library? Don't they train you to hit the goal instead of people?! (Dara getting more irritated that he had the gall to blame her for getting hit)

Donghae: I didn't mean it that way. I really am sorry. Are you okay?

Dara: Who would be after getting hit by a ball strong enough to topple me over?!

Someone from Donghae's team called out to him and asked him to go back to the field.

Donghae: Be right there (Donghae answered then turned his attention to Dara) I'm really sorry, let me make it up to you...

Dara: Don't bother (turning around and walking away)

Donghae: (Stood there for a minute, bothered by what happened) Such a shame, she's beautiful but standoffish   

Donghae went back to the field. He took practice seriously because he intends to get a sports scholarship and fulfill his dream of playing soccer professionally. Dara went to the library to study during her break periods because she intends to fulfill her dream of getting into a top school and fulfill her dream of becoming a TV anchor.

The next day, Donghae saw Dara again walking across the field and he hurried to catch up with her.

Donghae: Hi, I was not able to introduce myself yesterday. I'm Donghae and you are?

Dara: Not interested.

Donghae: Hello Not Interested, nice to meet you. Would you like to go and have coffee with me?

Dara: Ha-ha funny. Can we not do this? Are you waiting for me to accept your apology? Okay, apology accepted, now leave me alone.

Donghae: I understand you may have been upset yesterday but is this a daily thing for you? Getting irritated all the time?

Dara: Only when someone pesters me

Donghae: Well at least you're not giving me the silent treatment (smiling)...so there's a chance you'll...

Dara: Ohh, is that what you wanted? Fine. (walked away and headed for the library)

Donghae: Look, I...hey...

Dara continued walking while Donghae was stumped as to what he will do next. He tried everything that worked for him so far. The jokes, his smile, staring into her eyes...those eyes. He wondered how he could make her like him. Donghae shook his head, this was a distraction he could not afford. Not when he is awaiting his college scholarship results. Dara, on the other hand, was still irritated when she got to the library, throwing her books and bag onto the table which made a sound and caught the attention of the people around her. She apologized and slowly sat down hoping she won't make any other noise. 

Dara: It's that guy's fault. He may have time to socialize but I don't, not when college exams are coming up (she thought to herself) 

The next few days Dara noticed that Donghae seemed to be following her like a lost puppy. She can't believe how he could be so dense. She walked past the library on her way home, she needed to tell him to stop following her. Dara turned around and confronted Donghae.

Dara: Are you really going to follow me around like this?

Donghae: (Looked at his back and then answered) Are you talking to me? 

Dara: Who else? We are the only ones here. Will you follow me to our house? Are you stalking me?

Donghae: Oh good, you're finally talking to me. I just really want you to not be mad at me anymore

Dara: Why? I've accepted your apology. Don't you have anything else to do?

Donghae: Actually I have a lot to do but I can't stand having someone mad at me

Dara: You can't please everyone. Somewhere, sometime, someone will not like you and you shouldn't be bothered by it, that's just life.

Donghae: Right, but I don't want you, in particular, to be mad at me

Dara: And why is that?

Donghae: I don't know, I just feel really drawn to you

Dara was silent. What did he mean by that? Was that a confession? How can a guy who barely knows you say he is drawn to you? Oh, so it's purely physical attraction. The more reason to avoid this guy.

Dara: Look. I get what you are saying but I do not have time to socialize or be friends with anyone right now because I have my priorities set.

Donghae: Me too, I have priorities, but why can't we support each other by being friends?

Dara: Don't you have any friends? Why does it have to be me?

Donghae stopped to think. What was his goal anyway? All he knows is whenever he sees her, he wants to be next to her, close to her. This is not healthy, maybe he needs to take a step back and think about his feelings. 

Donghae: I'm sorry, I'll stop from now on. Could you at least tell me your name?

Dara: It's Dara. It's not that I'm unfriendly. I just can't afford to be distracted right now. I'm sure you have plenty of friends that you could hang out with. Take care.

Donghae: Thanks and yes, I do need to focus as well. See you around.

Dara: (Smiling) Good luck (then she turned around to go home)

Donghae: (thinking to himself) Why the heck did she have to smile like that?! It will be harder to get her off his mind. 

Donghae decided to just admire Dara from afar. He chose to have her as his inspiration and nothing more.  He needs to follow his dreams and maybe if fate would allow it, they might have a chance to get to know each other. Dara noticed that Donghae was keeping his distance which she appreciated. He even tries to pretend that he's not looking at her and has caught him a couple of times which she found kinda cute.

Several weeks later Donghae was at practice and it started to rain. Donghae likes playing when it rains. He likes the challenge of navigating the ball on slick grass and the weight of his soaked uniform. He saw Dara at the entrance of the library seeming to wait for the rain to die down to get somewhere. Donghae went to the bleachers and borrowed an umbrella from one of his classmates and went to Dara to lend it to her. It seemed weird that he was holding an unopened umbrella while he was soaking wet from the rain walking towards Dara.

Dara: Oh hey, why aren't you using your umbrella?

Donghae: I borrowed it for you. Seems like you have to go somewhere.

Dara: Thank you, I could really use it. I'm late for class. How do I return it to you?

Donghae: I'll walk you there. I don't need to share it with you since I'm already soaked.

Dara: Right (smiling) Thank you for this, I really appreciate it. I can't believe you guys still practice even in the rain.

Donghae: It's part of the sport, I guess.

Dara: Are you sure you won't get sick?

Donghae: (smiled) No, I'm used to it, thanks for the concern though.

They were quiet the rest of the way. When they got to the building Dara gave back the umbrella.

Dara: Thank you for your help. See you around (smiling)

Donghae was smiling the whole time on his way back to the field. His teammates were teasing him about asking for a time out just get Dara an umbrella. He didn't mind the teasing, he was just happy about the sound of concern when she asked if he might get sick. He wished she would be concerned for him more. Dara thought it was so nice of him to go out of his way to bring her an umbrella. She hoped he did not think too much about her asking him he might get sick. It was just something she would usually say. For some reason, she found him attractive being soaked in the rain with mud all over his uniform and cleats. He seemed really into soccer. She wonders if that's what he meant when he said priorities. Dara stopped herself before she thought about him any further. She might be curious about him but she shouldn't give in to that curiousity.

After class, Dara went to the restroom before she left for home. She was inside a stall when she overheard some girls talking about Donghae and her.

Soo-yeon: You shouldn't have lent him your umbrella so that he couldn't help out that girl.

Shan Cai: How was I to know he was going to lend it to her?

Chagiyah: Duh, he was already wet from the rain.

Dara went out not knowing whether they would recognize her but they must have remembered what she was wearing so they got quiet but stared her down while she was washing her hands. She didn't realize he had fans, he must be a good varsity player or maybe they're after his looks, which is mighty fine by the way. Did she just say he was fine? Is he getting to her?

Donghae got home, took a shower then went to the kitchen to talk to his mom who was preparing dinner.

Donghae: Eomma, were there any letters for me that came today?

Mom: Yeah they're on top of the console at the foyer.

Donghae hurried to get the letters and check if he got into any of the scholarships he applied for.

Mom: Did you see it?

Donghae: Yeah, it's just junk.

Mom: Maybe they have not decided yet. Didn't you say some of the scouts went to see you play a week ago?

Donghae: Yeah, but I'm really hoping to get into a program abroad.

Mom: Are you sure you will be okay all by yourself abroad?

Donghae: Mom, I know you'd be worried about me but all I want to do is train and be a professional soccer player. I do not intend to lose track of that.

Mom: I guess I'm just worried about missing you a lot. It's not going to be easy to visit you often when you're abroad.  

Donghae: I'll graduate then go home as soon as I can (hugging his mom)

Mom: Alright, let's eat before we end up crying. Tell your hyung dinner's ready.

Dara went home thinking about Donghae. She really does not socialize at school because her childhood friends are from another school. Her family just happened to move during her senior year and she just didn't have the time to make new friends. She decided to call one of her friends whom she thinks know a lot of people from other schools.

Eun-young: Hey, hey, hey! I'm surprised you're calling me on a school night, must be important

Dara: Hello to you too. How have you guys been?

Eun-young: Oh, nothing much. We have all been studying but hey it is what it is. I bet you study even harder.

Dara: Yeah, as much as I can

Eun-young: So what's up? Any new friends in school?

Dara: Well...(sighing)

Eun-young: Oh someone finally piqued your interest?

Dara: There's this guy who's really nice to me...

Eun-young: Even more interesting...

Dara: His name is Donghae, do you know him?

Eun-young: Donghae? Donghae sounds familiar. What's he into? Where does he hang out?

Dara: I really don't know much

Eun-young: I bet you didn't even try to find out.

Dara: He's into sports, he plays soccer

Eun-young: Ah, okay I remember. He is a varsity player. He went to our school one time to play against our team. I remember because the girls from our school were cheering for him even if he was playing against us. Oh I see... that Donghae. Yeah, I can understand why you would have a crush on him.

Dara: Huh? Maybe he's the one who has a crush on me (Dara chuckled)

Eun-young: Okay so you want me to ask around to know more about him?

Dara: I don't know..

Eun-young: Yeah that means you want me to. You've always been straight forward, looks like this guy got into you

Dara: That's the thing, it's not like I'm expecting anything out of it

Eun-young: Dara, it's normal to have a crush, it's normal to fall in love, we're teenagers. What's not normal is your obsession to get into a SKY university. 

Dara: I just want to increase my chances of getting my dream job.

Eun-young: Well, I won't argue with that but it's okay to have some fun sometimes

Dara: And you are having so much fun I bet. Who's your new boyfriend?

Eun-young: Oh did you see my post, you lurker you?! Isn't he cute? His name is Yeonwoo and he's absolutely smitten with me

Dara: Yeah so don't hurt him.

Eun-young: I have not gotten tired of this relationship yet. Maybe it will last longer.

Dara: Let's hope for the best

Eun-young: Oh hey, maybe Yeonwoo knows more about him. Let me give him a call and I'll let you know what I find out.

Dara: Yeah that's my cue to end the call. Enjoy, miss you. See you after the exams.

Eun-young: OMG Dara that's months away, are you telling me you won't see us 'til then?

Dara: I just want to make sure I am well prepared for it.

Eun-young: Okay it's alright, I understand. Maybe we can at least do a group video chat next time

Dara: That would be nice. Oh and Eun-young, can we keep this between us?

Eun-young: Oh yes of course

Dara: Thanks, miss you, love you, take care

Eun-young: Likewise miss you, love you, take care

 

Donghae was on edge the entire week because he still has not heard from the schools he was applying to. Taking the college entrance exams in Korea is out of the question right now since he did not prepare for it. His grades were great but he could not just wing it. People prepare an entire year for it. He was contemplating what he should do if he doesn't get in while walking aimlessly when it started to rain. It may be okay to get soaked while playing soccer but it's entirely different when you're wearing a school uniform. He was about to run for shelter when he heard someone call him. He looked back and saw what seemed to be Dara holding an umbrella trying to catch up to him. 

Dara: Hey why don't we share this umbrella?

Donghae: Are you sure?

Dara: Yeah, where to?

Donghae: I was just going to wait it out in that bus stop outside the gate

Dara: Oh okay, let's hurry. I think its starting to be a heavy downpour

They rushed to the bus stop only to get there with half of their bodies drenched and half dry because they were trying to avoid getting too close to each other.

Donghae: I'm sorry you had to get drenched because of me

Dara: Oh no, you're fine. I offered.

Donghae dug into his bag and gave her a towel.

Donghae: Here dry yourself with this. It's clean.

Dara: Thanks. I'm okay it's just rain.

They sat in silence for a few minutes just watching the rain and waiting for it to subside.

"I love the rain", they both blurted out at the same time. They laughed at the coincidence. 

Donghae: What do you like about it the most?

Dara: The sound of rain, it is so comforting, it's like a lullaby that puts me to sleep.

Donghae: Yeah I agree. Isn't that one of the ambient sounds they put in sound machines?

Dara: Yes, why do you love it?

Donghae: I remember during rainy days, my family stayed indoors and we try to find things to do, like playing games and stuff

Dara: That's nice

Donghae: Yeah (suddenly sad)

Dara: Are you okay?

Donghae: I just miss those days (fighting the urge to cry and turned his head away)

Dara: Hey...(instinctively reaching out to touch his shoulder)

Donghae was surprised and looked at Dara. She saw that he was teary eyed and got worried but she did not want to press any further.

Donghae: We lost our dad a few years ago

Dara: Oh I'm so sorry (forgetting that she still had her hand in his shoulder)

Donghae: Thanks (instinctively reaching out to touch Dara's hand on his shoulder)

Dara and Donghae held hands and stared at each other's eyes for a short while before they realized what was happening, where they were, then they both withdrew their hands and said sorry the same time.

There was an awkward silence, then a bus arrived at the stop. The driver asked them if they were going to ride the bus. They both said no, then the bus left. 

Donghae: It seems that the rain will not stop for a while, do you need to call home and let them know that you might be late?

Dara: Yeah, I guess I'll do that. How about you? Were you supposed to ride that bus?

Donghae: No, our house is walking distance from here.

Dara: Ours too. That's why I'm just waiting for the rain to stop. 

Donghae: Do you mind if I walk you home? It's kind of starting to get dark.

Dara: (Hesitating) I guess it would be okay.

They talked on the way home. It is amazing how that simple comforting gesture made them feel at ease with each other, closer somewhat.

Dara: This is where I live. I hope you won't have to walk far, it's already dark.

Donghae: I'm good. We are only a few blocks apart.

Dara: Take this umbrella just in case it rains again

Donghae: Thanks. I'll give it back to you on Monday. Enjoy your weekend.

Dara: You too.

Donghae thought about what just happened. It was so easy to open up to Dara. He wondered why he was so sensitive. Maybe the anxiety from not knowing about his scholarship result made him that way. He wished that she didn't see him close to crying but she seemed okay with it. It brought out her caring side. Beautiful, smart, and caring, what else is there to ask for?

Dara went straight to her room to get ready to take a shower. She easily gets a cold if she gets drenched in the rain like that. Her younger brother saw her and asked what happened. 

Hyun: Noona? Did you leave your umbrella again?

Dara: It's a long story.

Hyun: Oh ok never mind, just hurry up, we're about to eat.

Later that night Dara got a call from Eun-young. 

Eun-young: D to the A to the R to the A. Wazzup?

Dara: You're really going to try and be a rapper?

Eun-young: Why not? I've got the swag, I've got the body...

Dara: I really love your confidence

Eun-young: Hun, who else am I gonna wait for to compliment me? Anyway, the reason why I called was because I have the deets on your Donghae

Dara: Not mine but whatever

Eun-young: Yet!

Dara: Hurry up...I've got to study

Eun-young: On a Friday night?! You're hopeless!

Dara: Ok I'm just excited to find out I guess..

Eun-young: There's our Dara! Long time no see! Anyway so they said Donghae is being scouted by universities abroad that's why he's not preparing for the college entrance exams. Looks like he's planning to be a professional soccer player. The bad news is, he is rumored to be seriously interested in a girl. His entire team knows about it because there was this thing about time out during practice and an umbrella. I didn't understand it much but I guess you should just give him up for now.

Dara: (Laughing) Is that so?

Eun-young: Don't tell me you're that girl?!

Dara: Well...

Eun-young: Dang girl! I knew you were pretty but I didn't realize it was enough to stop soccer practice

Dara: You're crazy! Anyway thanks, I appreciate you for finding that out for me. I think I'll take it from here.

Eun-young: Oh is that right? So you're finally ready to have a boyfriend?

Dara: (Sighing) I don't know

Eun-young: Well hurry up girl! Make your mark before those foreign women grab a hold of him.

Dara: You think that's wise? Getting into a relationship before the exams and with him possibly moving abroad?

Eun-young: YOLO!!! (Ending the call)

Hearing the click, Dara shook her head. Eun-young is such a hoot. She is a lot of fun to be with that's why guys are drawn to her. She remembered the time Donghae said he was drawn to her. She wondered why he felt that way. Maybe she could ask him some time. 

Monday came and still no news on his scholarship. Donghae grudgingly went to school. He's at a point where he's starting to doubt himself and not have the motivation to even practice. He waited for the usual time Dara went to the library. He ran towards her as soon as he saw her.

Donghae: Dara! Here's you're umbrella. Thank you.

Dara: You're welcome (smiling)

Donghae: Can I ask you a question?

Dara: (Holding her breath, seolma..he's not going to ask me to be his girlfriend is he?) Sure

Donghae: Do you think it's too late for me to prepare for the entrance exams?

Dara: Actually, preparation should have started since we entered high school. If you have good grades and have tried to learn the whole time you were here then I believe you can still catch up.

Donghae: You really think so?

Dara: Well, it's worth a try.

Donghae: Can you help me? I promise I'm just going to need guidance on what to study and focus on

Dara: Sure, I'll help. But do you have time, especially when you have practice and games?

Donghae: I'll make time.

Dara: Okay. Let me know when.

Donghae: How about right now?

Dara: Okay, don't you have practice?

Donghae: Most of my teammates have a mock exam today. 

Dara: I see, well, would you like to come with me to the library?

Donghae: Okay, thank you. I really appreciate it.

They sat next to each other in the library. Dara thought that Donghae was just using it as an excuse to get to spend time with her but he seemed really concentrated. He also knew the topics she was talking about which slightly surprised her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter