SHE

SHE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                                           Hi. My name is Ahn Hye-jin but you can call me Hyej or Hyejin. 25 years old. From Jeonju, South Korea. Graduated AB English. A struggling author. And this is my story. 

                                           Life is a beautiful one yet we, humans make it difficult and complicated. It is full of trials; it has many facets of success and failures. For some, life is hard and merciless. People perceive their own lives as punishment. A living hell. A hole. They, therefore, quit themselves to faith, assuming all has ended for them. But for me, I see my life as a bittersweet one. It was sweet, happy even though sometimes it was brittle, bitter, and full of sad and hurtful memories. 

                                           I'll begin my story when I went to college six years ago. I took Bachelor of Arts Major in English. Ever since I was a kid, I dreamt of becoming a famous author with thousands of copies sold out in just a day. I want to be famous like Rowling, Shakespeare, Coelho, and the likes. I want my name printed fresh on the front cover of my book. I want to inspire and touch the lives of people in the form of writing and yet here I am, writing my own life in an old netbook. 

                                          College was indeed different. This is where your ultimate step towards your future. This was like a world full of struggling, drunken adults. I scanned the whole place, trying to find where the BA building is. I walked the halls plastered with work of people I don't know. At the back of my mind, I want to leave the school premises and just sleep. Surprisingly, I managed to find my first class. As I step into the room, everyone looked at me. Some smiled while the others started to talk about me. What's wrong? I'm just wearing a green polo crop top, fitted maong pants, and block heels with a handbag clung to my wrist. Time passed. I have thirty minutes to eat my lunch. I go to the school cafeteria to order my food. I sit at an eight-seater table. Alone. No company. No one to talk to. Unexpectedly, someone approached me. 

 

"Hi. Would you mind if I take a seat?" 

"Yes. Sure."

"By the way, my name is Moon Byul-Yi. I'm from Nursing Department."

"Nice to meet you. I'm Ahn Hye-jin. Bachelor of Arts... major in English."

 

                                       There I met her. I thought she's intimidating because of her strong features plus her bare porcelain skin. Everything about her is simple and clean. I don't give compliments to someone I don't know, but I must say, she's beautiful and kind. I thought our paths will never cross again. The university was huge for us to meet again, but fate began playing us. She saw me again, alone, reading a novel in the quiet library. 

 

"You're alone again." 

"It's you again."

"Yes, Hyej. I'm sorry If I'm disturbing you."

"No, It's fine. Have a seat." 

"Is that The Great Gatsby?" 

 

                                  That's the first time she called me by my nickname. I had butterflies in my stomach. I got overwhelmed by her mere presence. She's entertaining to talk to. I never had a dead time when I'm with her. Days, Weeks, Months passed. We became best friends. We got to know each other. We always meet at the end of our meeting. On Mondays, she'll wait for me and on Tuesdays, I'll also do the same. We sometimes go to the mall to eat or to shop. We even watched movies together. We had the same likings. We both like action and horror movies. We both like to eat spicy food. We both like to go to the arcade. We're both talkative and sociable. Despite our similarities, of course, there's still a difference between us. She likes chocolate, I like strawberry. She's a coward at times, I'm a risk-taker. She prefers to watch movies; I prefer to read books more. She doesn't like wearing makeup; I like wearing them. She can handle her emotions pretty well, and I'm not. She's vocal and expressive of her emotions while I like to bottle them up. I don't like people telling how hurt I am. 

 

"You're not okay, Hyej. Don't pretend in front of me." 

"I'm feeling better, Byulie. Don't notice me." 

"How can't I notice you? I care for you so much. You're my best friend." 

 

                                        She has a broken family and no siblings. Her world is too small for her to walk to and to grow to. Her mother left them when she was sixteen years old for another man. She only lives with her father, who has heart disease and diabetes. I remember the days she always worries about him. She doesn't want to be left alone. She wants her father to live longer. She wants her father to attend her graduation and see her as a registered nurse. She would cry at me of how anxious she is. She's scared of failing her course. She had a difficult time taking it in her first year. I served as her strong post, the one who can be her light in times of her hardship. I motivate and encourage her. 

                                        I started to fall in love with her when she let me see her world. Falling in love with her was like entering a house and finally realizing I'm home. When she smile at me I feel invisible hands wrapping around me making me feel safe. When her eyes are locked on mine, it's like I can see galaxies instead of just pupils. Having Byul in my life makes me feel like everything's possible in this world like I can conquer anything. I could see wind-stirred waves in her eyes. If one were brave enough to enter their depths, all else would blur and you'd fall so deep in love that you'd choose to stay there, no matter what. Of that, I'm completely sure. 

 

"Why are you avoiding me, Hyej? Did I do something wrong?"

"I'm busy, Byul."

"I don't believe you. I know you so well. You're not like this. Even if you're busy, you'll make time for me, right?"

"Byul, I'm tired..."

"Hyej, I don't like how you treat me these days... Just tell me what I did wrong. Be frank to me."

"Do you really want me to be frank with you?

"Yes. Please."

"I like you, Byul. Not just as a best friend. I have... a romantic feeling for you. Every day, I'm falling in love with you and the best way is to avoid you..."

"I like you too, Hyejinnie. I can't help to fall in love with you. I'm waiting for the right moment to confess because like you, I'm also scared that you'll avoid and reject me."

 

                                            Our love story started. We both confess our feelings to each other on school grounds. That was the happiest day of my life. Our relationship became deeper and intense. We became partners as well. We helped each other in terms of academics and our personal issues.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter