{3}

Room 1004

 

Ryeowook wandered around the basement aimlessly, bottle of alcohol in hand. His eyes were glazed, his black orbs diluted. He was tired, tired of this life. Walking across the train tracks, he didn’t even hear the whistling sound of the incoming train as it sped towards him. His light body flew as it impacted against the screeching transport, landing on the hard asphalt with a soft thud. A little gasp escaped his lips as his tired eyelids winced shut from the pain. Warm trickle of blood rolled down his forehead as he laid perfectly still, unmoving. Everything stilled for just a second, white dots flittered around his vision. A small smile graced his bloodied face, as he slipped out of consciousness. 

 

Finally some peace and quiet. I wouldn’t mind staring into this darkness if this is what I get in return.

 

 Everything felt so good to the young boy, all burden lifted from his shoulders. It was a temporary escape from reality, something he had longed for too long. At first alcohol provided a safe place to him, but the pleasure was short-lived. Bottles piled up quickly in his small room, as he watched his younger brother become more and more withdrawn. Honestly said, he wished he could do something to help, but nothing worked anymore. He had given up from living…..given up from being human. He hadn’t planned to get hit by a train, but it worked. He was happy for once….happy to return to his happy place. 

 

Kyuhyun rushed off as soon as he saw Heechul arrive at the office with an odd smile on his face, as if he was truly happy….never mind that, he had other things on his mind. Scanning his pass on the elevator, he entered as it slowly ascended towards the hospital level. After inquiring with a bored-looking receptionist, he turns to corner to arrive in front of a small room. Pacing nervously in front of the room, he was about go mad until someone tapped him on his shoulder. Turning around sharply, he was greeted by a warm looking doctor. 

 

‘Are you the family of Kim Ryeowook-ssi? Actually, its fine, anyone will do. You look like a reliable man. Ryeowook-ssi will require surgery immediately as due to the impact of the train, his ribs were broken and now threatening his lungs. However....’ the doctor trailed off as he averted his gaze. ‘There is no more room left currently....’ 

 

‘What do you mean, no more room! There were plenty of empty rooms on my way here!’ Anger was boiling up in Kyuhyun as he stared at the elder. ‘You see, there are plenty of rooms open for the higher class, but for a miner like him, all the rooms are already filled....’ Kyuhyun moved towards the man, before whispering something in his ear. Eyes widening, the doctor bowed quickly towards him before continuing- ‘However, I will require your parent’s permission.’ ‘I will sort out my parents, but take the young man to surgery now.’ 

.

.

.

.

.

His eyelids fluttered, as a string of throbbing pain hit him. Eyes wide open, everything was fuzzy - a mirage of colours. Shaking his head slightly, he looked around the pale room, before settling on a slim figure perched on the nearby chair. ‘Kyu?’ The man turned to face him, a wide smile breaking on his face. 

 

‘Wookie! You’re awake! I was so worried about you when i heard you were hospitalised and you won’t believe the things i did in the past few days and are you——‘ Kyuhyun stopped on his rant when he caught a dark glare from the younger. ‘Why am I here?’ Ryeowook’s voice trembled slightly as his face turned cold, emotionless. ‘What do you mean? You’re in the hospital—-‘ ‘That’s not what I mean, Kyuhyun-ssi. I asked why am I here, alive?’ 

 

Kyuhyun’s smile dropped as the words echoed in his brain. ‘Wai—wait what? You’re alive b-because we saved you and ‘ Kyuhyun, don’t you understand? I’m sick of this. Haven’t I drilled it into your brain yet? I don’t want to live anymore.’ Ryeowook’s cold tone scared him, as he stepped away from the emotionless young boy. 

 

‘Don’t say that, Wookie! You don’t mean that....I know you don’t.....Wookie..’I’m messed up Kyu……CAN’T YOU HEAR ME? IM MESSED UP!’ Ryeowook screamed at the cowering younger. Sobs escaped from his mouth as Kyuhyun ran from the hospital room, away from the stranger in front of him. Whatever had happened to the bright, bubbly boy he had fallen in love with months ago down in the basement? Locking himself in the bathroom, he collapsed down in a corner, tears running down his face.