{2}

Room 1004

 

 

‘So Kyu, what’s the gig for?’ Heechul asked the bored man. He had asked Kyuhyun to find out more about the gig before he applied for it. Not that it really mattered anyways, he needed the money and as long as it wasn’t like go kill someone for me for a hundred dollars then he was fine with it. 

  

‘Oh yes. I asked around and it’s basically you singing anything you want as long it sounds fine for an hour. If you impress him, you get a bonus apparently. I’ve already signed you up for it, since i guessed you would want to. Someone will pick you up here to bring you up to room 1004. Now anymore questions? I’ve got an exciting game of starcraft awaiting’

Kyuhyun stared at the older man as he poised to resume his game. Rolling his eyes, Heechul walked back to his room to get ready for the gig. Grabbing his old guitar under the bed, he brushed off the dust before tuning the strings. It had been so long since he had applied for a singing gig, he had stopped since working at the basement and taking care of Hae took over all his time. Speaking of which, he reached up to poke his brother awake. Whining, Hae pouted at Heechul as he rubbed his tired eyes open. ‘Do you have any spare music for me?’ Hearing the mention of the word music, Hae’s eyes lit up. Shooting up, he scrambled down the ladder, before grabbing a box from the desk. Opening it, he flipped through the papers, before settling on one.  He ed it into Heechul’s hands and his pleading eyes made Heechul laugh, the younger’s hair, he shook his head. ‘Maybe later for you. But right now hyung has to work. Thanks for this, Hae!’ Grabbing some other spare sheet music, he made his way back to Kyuhyun’s office. Nervous, he glanced over at the owner, who looked like he didn’t have a care in the world. Looking down on his watch, the hand moved towards nine. Right on time, a man came to him up to room 1004. 

 

 

Leeteuk entered the hall, settling down into one of the comfy red chairs. He had heard that someone had responded to his call for an hour of entertainment. Dressed up in a black suit, Leeteuk had fun wearing a cape and all. It wasn't common for people to agree to perform, too busy with their work down at the tunnels. Striding into the room, Hyukjae snorted when he saw Leeteuk. ‘Please tell me you have a matching mask for that! You’re going to look like the Phantom of the Opera by this point!’ Leeteuk flushed red as he pulled a white mask. ‘My gosh. I was joking but it seems like you have it all planned out.....i’ll leave you to it.’ Hyukjae closed the door quietly as he directed a nervous looking man towards the stage. ‘You’ve got one hour. Good luck.’ 

 

The place was a nice warm brown. Stepping onto the stage, Heechul drew a deep breath to calm himself down. Placing the music onto the stand, he sat down on a chair situated right at the centre of the stage. His fingers strummed the strings as his sweet voice flowed out and echoed through the hall. A smile creeped up his face….He hadn’t sung for so long that he forgot how good it felt. The adrenaline flowed through him as he slowly grew in confidence. By the end of the hour, a beaming grin had been plastered onto Heechul’s face. He absolutely loved the feeling of being onstage after so long. Bowing towards the darkness, he was about to leave when a voice called out to him. 

 

‘Wait. What’s your name?’ Turning towards the blackness in front of him, Heechul hesitated before replying ‘Heechul. Kim Heechul.’

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Arriving back at the hiring office, he found a very frantic Kyuhyun ready to rush out of the door. Seeing Heechul at the door, Kyuhyun ran over, panic evident on his face.  ‘Hyung, can you do me a favour? Just look after the office for a while for me….

 ‘You okay, Kyu? Did Starcraft release a new version of its game or something…..’ Heechul trailed off as he caught sight of Kyu’s teary eyes. Nodding quickly, he sent the younger off as he entered the small office. Taking a seat, he wondered to himself what had caused Kyu to run off so suddenly. That boy was always glued to his chair, playing on his favourite computer. Today surely was a surprising day….