Final~

Meet Cute Like Us

 

To say he’s tired is an understatement, it was a total chaos in their floor that made him lag behind his work schedule, as much as he dreaded overtime he badly needed to. Everyone in their office knows how Mark loves going home on time and early hence he gets all his tasks completed during the hours he’s supposed to be working and this is not him shading the self declared wild and y co-worker. There’s even a running joke of how he’s nowhere to be seen as the clock strikes a minute past their working hours or how he’s the first to bolt out of his seat but he does not mind them. There’s nothing more satisfying than finishing early then going home to his cute little Milo but no Jackson and Jaebeom’s stupid chicken war roped him into this mess. To make matters worse, he left his car to the repair shop for its yearly check ups and all the jazz, so the fastest he could get home without spending a fortune for a taxi ride is to take the subway. He can’t wait to be home and sip a can of beer or two, also to scheme for a revenge plan to the stupid duo fighting over fried chicken. It’s a no brainer really, Jackson accusing Jaebeom of eating his fried chicken he left at the pantry while the other claiming that he was eating the chicken he definitely ordered and it was a mess but also not even remotely surprising. Their boss did not even spare them a glance and just told him to handle them saving himself from balding or something.

 

Before judging their working environment, it’s actually a pretty chill company. Mark is an editor at a Comic Publishing House or commonly referred to locally as Manhwa. The company is not that big so the staffs were fairly close to each other but they have produced successful pieces which cemented their footing in the industry and they take pride into taking care of the artists under them respecting their creative freedom. Their boss is actually one of the few people Mark admired for his work ethics and attitude towards things so really loves his job. He just wished Choi Youngjae their bubbly and sunshine personified HR Assistant hires people who will not fight over fried chicken not to mention the other chaotic duo that is Yugyeom and Bambam. Mark really needs to be home now, recharging and relaxing for all the things he endured today.

Or so he thought, because his gut feeling tells him it’s not over yet. He was jolted out of his thoughts when he heard the guy on his left sniffling silently which turned into full on bawling his eyes out in a matter of seconds. Thank God it’s late so there were only a few passengers, but still they received curious glances in their direction and their gazes tell him they sort of think he was the one at fault when in fact he didn't even know the guy. The day is about to end but it’s not done with testing his patience really. Reminding his self that he’s a nice guy and was raised by lovely people that are his parents he gently pats the guy.

“Hey! Are you okay?” Mark asks gently as he pats the stranger’s back and he’s sure he should not be doing any of this but he’s nice. NICE.

“N-no, how dare he die! I did not just wait for a year for the sequel just to read him dying!” The stranger replied glaring at the book in his hands.

Mark is in way past to disbelief right now. He  might be calm, still patting the stranger who’s still wailing, opening the book in his hands again to check if his eyes are not deceiving him but BUT on the inside his mind is asking ASKING the heavens for what did he do?! Why me? He closed his eyes for a moment remembering how heartbreaking it is reading your favorite fictional person dying. He summoned the patience he mastered when yugyeom cried every time a fictional manhwa character dies in every story they released.

He offered the crying man his hanky which thankfully he takes with a small thank you underneath the tiny sniffles. The guy is actually quite calm now and, Oh God the guy is so cute pouting and trying to contain his crying self. 

“Uhm, thank you.” the guy repeats calmer and louder this time without the hint of tiny sniffles.

“Oh, it’s no problem.” Mark replied but the words fell into deaf ears as the guy is now rambling about his own misery.

“This is so unfair, he died! He DIED! Like seriously he’s the only light in this miserable world they’re living, the only character with depth and substance and what he died? For whom? For that poor excuse of a coward man!” The stranger rambles, glaring holes in the book and Mark should be annoyed right? But he’s so endeared by the rambling guy, talking in pout language. He looks like that cute little duckling meme holding a knife arguing with his cute little beakie and red cheekies. Okay he’s tired and all but he felt so endeared not even a hint of annoyance in his blood. “Actually no, this is the Authors fault! How dare you kill him Miss or Mrs, wait i should not assume maybe they use Mister, yeah whatever how dare you kill him!”

Mark can’t contain his laugh anymore so he chuckles softly, cutting the other’s monologue of some sorts. 

The guy narrows his eyes looking at him, “So you find this funny? You think my grief is a joke!?” 

“Of course not, I find this very much endearing for your information.” Mark is usually not this forward. He is actually quite shy and awkward with strangers but there’s just something about the guy.

The guy then looks at him, like really looks at him from head to toe then to his face. Mark was taken aback by the sudden attention. The guy looks like he’s studying his very being. After a long pause Mark heard a huff and no from the other.

“What?” Mark voices out in confusion.

“I said, '' No.” Came the other’s reply which confuses him more.

 “What do you mean by no?”

“That you’re handsome, charming, and nice for the few minutes we’re sharing in this train ride but I’m not going out on a date with you.” The guy replied somewhat annoyed that he was asked to explain.

Mark was left dumbfounded, floundering with what to reply but no words came out considering his mind is not done processing the things he just heard so he looked really funny with his mouth open and eyes blinking facing the other guy. After a moment and the train door opening then closing continuing its journey to the next station  he was able to reply.

“But why not?” Okay, this is a disaster. That was not what he wanted to say or is it? He doesn’t know anymore. Seriously, is today a hidden camera day or what because he can’t, whoever it is just come out and shout it’s a prank or whatever and end his suffering.

“Because, first I don't know you.” The guy replied counting on his fingers. “Second, you look so handsome I refuse to believe you’re mortal, so a vampire is a safe bet. Okay, I think vampire feeding with human blood is y but I don’t know how to feel about having no garlic in my meals so no. “Third, what if you’re actually a part of that syndicate who abducts people by luring them with your beauty then taking their organs to sell in the blackmarket? I can’t have that because I’m an organ donor so you know first dibs and all. ---”

Mark is sure that there’s more but he can’t help it anymore he leans in his seat and a laughing fit ensues. He laughed so hard he’s actually in tears.  

“Well, that can be arranged, I’m Mark Tuan.”  he replied counting on his fingers copying the other as he answered the questions. “ I admit that vampires were indeed y but I’m afraid I’m not one and I love garlic in my meals. Lastly, I’m just a guy working 8 to 5 who got roped into working overtime. So may I know your name now?” 

“Park Jinyoung” The guy replied shyly, ducking his head to hide his reddening checks which Mark noticed of course.

“So since we have covered that and all, Can I take you out on a date?” Mark asks.

“Wait, I don't know if you like guys so..” 

Mark shakes his head, “Didn’t I just ask you out? Well, I’m pan.” 

This earned him a smile from Jinyoung, “But it’s my stop soon.” Came the other’s reply looking at the map above the train’s door.

“Well, lucky me it’s my stop too.” Mark replied cheekily and yes it really is his stop he did not even notice how close he is to his home when he was just wishing to be under his covers a few stops ago. He casts a glance at his watch and it's just half an hour past 9, perfect for a dinner. “So what do you say about dinner with me.”

Jinyoug looks at him for a moment, then smiles with all his cute little eye crinkles and says “I’d love to.”

“You’re so adorable.” 

“Thanks.”

Now Mark wishes this is not a hidden camera or some elaborate prank to test his patience. Looking at the handsome man smiling at him he can’t wait to know more of him as he silently thanks the heavens for the roller coaster of a day. And if Mark buys Jackson and Jaebeom a bucket of fried chicken the day after much to their confusion, he leaves them in wonder as he checks his phone waiting for a reply from the owner of the cutest pout ever. 


 

-------------

A few years later, Jinyoung is whining in their sofa hugging Milo, grumbling about how unfair it is to have meet the love of his life, his husband, his person on a train going home from a stressful parent-teacher conference (because yes, Jinyoungie is a kindergarten teacher) while crying his eyes out over the death of a fictional character. And Mark’s voice echoes from the kitchen where he prepares them hot chocolate saying he looks the cutest and the most adorable that night.   

“Babe! I rambled about vampires and black market, what do you mean cute?”

And Mark replies with his high pitch giggles and yeah it’s HOME.