Could Have Been

Could Have Been

The wind caresses my cheek and ruffles my hair as it runs past me

Flowers bloom in my lungs as I take in the image of you and me

 

"I told you we shouldn’t have gone out,” a voice calls out.

“I’m sorry but it’s not my fault that rehearsals are starting earlier than expected,” another retorts.

He continues to hold her hand as they run beneath the sharp shadows of the city, trying to avoid being seen. As if their great escape was the biggest crime that was ever committed. From a distance, they can hear the small buzz and the faint sound of music as the wind blows their faces painfully. 

From their linked hands, she looks up to watch his breath get visible or how his lashes flutter against the strong wind, trying its best to protect the things it needs to protect. She can feel his pulse under her palm more than her own.

It’s cold that day. It’s already winter - the season of awards shows yet somehow they didn’t feel the shivers they usually get. It wasn’t cold. It wasn’t because of the parka engulfing them nor the scarf wrapped around their neck. It wasn’t the layered socks she was wearing nor the layered jacket he was wearing. 

It was warm.

It was perfect.

They turned into another alley and came face to face with bright lights, the cacophony of busy people going back and forth, fussing about the same things for hours, and the crippling nerves and tension between each person. 

Smiling to himself, he lets go of her hand and looks at her. She looks more beautiful with the hint of red in her cheeks. Was it because of the cold? Was it because of the distance they ran? No matter. She’s beautiful. 

“I’ll see you later, Yuqi.”

Instead of returning the sentiment, she sharply turns to him with a glare as if telling him that he won’t be seeing her later or anytime soon. 

“What?” he asks as he throws his hands up. “They said; rehearsals start in two hours. How am I supposed to know that their two hours will be 30 minutes?”

He continues to explain and defend his point before her laughter cuts him off. He raises his brow in question as he stares at her. 

“It’s fine, Lucas. It’s not like we’re late. We barely made it and I don’t think we’ll get nagged, so it’s alright,” she said as she finally calms down.

“I’ll see you later?” He asks, hearing s calling his name.

“See you later,” she confirms before standing on her toes to give him a kiss on his cheek, dashing towards the girl’s tent soon after without looking back.

His eyes never left her retreating back as her touch lingers there. His lips slowly curve into a smile as his skin memorizes her own. His heart beats wildly as his palm remembers her warmth as his soul remembers this love.

 

Nothing ever mattered but us

Holding hands as we walk down our path

 

“Yuqi! Come back here!” 

Heavy and rapid footsteps fill each corner of their dorm as members of two different idol groups catch up with each other. One of them even shakes his head before drinking his soda. For two people who are already adults they do act like kids.

“Those two are so disgustingly happy and in love, I’m having a hard time deciding whether I want to be angry or happy.”

“Jealous is the word you’re looking for.”

Before a reply can come out of someone’s lips, Yuqi bursts into the living room giggling as she tries her best to dodge furniture that might slow her down. Behind her, is a groaning Lucas trying to keep up with her. Soon, her laughs echo through the crowded room, trying to escape from his arms.

“Say you love me, you stingy little girl,” the boy demands as he rubs his knuckles on her crown.

“I will never love the guy who ate my chips.” she replies in between giggles.

“Yep. Disgustingly happy and in love.” The rest of the occupants came into an agreement as they let the laughing fit beside them continue.

 

Whether it was the moon and stars or the sun and clouds above us,

Whenever we’re together, even time and space stops

 

“Are you sure you can’t see anything?”

“You’ve been asking me that for the past 10 minutes, Lucas. Your hands are pressing hard on my eyes. It'll be a miracle if I can see something.”

He loosens his hold on her and continues to guide her by the beach. The salty wind blows her hair, tickling his skin each time it does. The sand was still hot underneath their feet while the water cools it down every other step. Up ahead was the foot of the lighthouse where he was able to put a little something for her. It took him a long way and he plans to savor every little emotion from her once she’s seen it.

“You ready?” He whispers.

She nods her head the slightest. She feels the sudden weight off of her eyes and slowly, the scene invades her vision. The horizon tinted by hues of pink and oranges, the white paint of the lighthouse, and the beautifully decorated gazebo in the middle of it all.  The flowers in her stomach swayed with the butterflies flying over it as warmth seeps out of her eyes.

“What do you think?”

Not trusting her words, she turns towards him and wraps her arms around his torso. Hoping that her warmth and her love was enough to tell him the things her lips can’t. Seconds after, it was her turn to feel the love from him. He rocks both of their bodies in the rhythm of their heartbeats as he brings his lips to kiss her crown.

They sat there basking in their own happiness as they surrounded themselves in their memories as the sun retreated itself to take its rest. Not long after, he let himself indulge the sight of her. The sight of her wrinkling eyes as her melody reaches his ears. The sight of her peaceful posture and the sight of her. The sight of the woman who has heart.

“Are you not cold?”

“Just a bit.”

She offers her hands which he playfully takes. They walked along the beach letting nature be their background music - letting God paint the ambiance of red, blue, and yellow stars, letting Luna be the witness of their beating souls. It was enough. Just the two of them - in each other’s presence. 

It was perfect

 

I knew I love you 

That is probably why I longed for more of you

 

“Did you just forget that you have a girlfriend?!”

He follows her out of the building trying to appease her rage. It was all a plan. He wanted to see more of her. He wanted to see her heart in all its phases. So he let her see him with another girl. So he let her see his ugly side. He rejected her love. All to see her soul .

“Yuqi, please. There is no excuse I know. Please let’s talk.”

Her feet stop the same time her heart did while her pain flows from her eyes. “Fine! Tell me why because no matter how I think about it, the answer never changes.”

“I did it because… I love you.”

“Because you love me? Wong Yukhei, you-” she exhales trying to numb the thorns in her chest.

“Because I want to see you in every way I can. To see you hurt. To see you crying. I want to see these emotions from you so I can know you better.”

Shaking her head and swallowing her emotions, she rounds up the alley that leads straight to their dorms. 

Her words echo in his head as he lets out his anger and regret. She didn’t guess it right. He loves her. He knows it. He feels it. He was greedy. He was selfish. For all of her.

He wanted more.

He wanted to see her soul .

But what he has is the cloth she used to cover up.

 

Let me go back to the time of you and I

To have you in my arms and lower my pride

 

“How long has he been drinking?” 

“Just an hour ago. He didn’t drink that much but he locked himself in the practice rooms the whole day.” One of s informs her. 

As soon as she was alone with him, she sat beside him, careful not to dip the mattress any further. An article trended in different social media sites of their date a while back and their recent argument. There were a lot of positive feedbacks but most didn’t take it as such. Lucas blamed himself and stopped contacting her for weeks. She tried talking to him. She tried to prevent the growing barricade in his heart. She tried to make it all make sense but he didn’t let him.

All she knew was at that moment, the man she loved couldn’t see anything but the danger of keeping her.

That’s probably why when he was invited to yet another show, he made everything clear. He was not hers and she wasn’t his. 

That is probably why he came in to her doorsteps one night to strike her a deal. Don’t talk to him. Don’t look at or for him. Pretend nothing ever happened. Forget that everything happened.

That is probably why in his next song he kept on singing.

I will protect you.

 

Tell me, if I let my hand bleed. If I bend both my knees.

If I held you a little longer and lowered my ego. Will it still be you and me?

 

It was cold that day as he walked under the sharp shadows of the city with her memorized warmth to accompany him. He looks up to how God painted that night - pitch black with streaks of gray clouds and Luna was nowhere to be seen.

It was winter - the season of awards shows. All artists are in the comfort of their hotel rooms but his was that one place he can't go back to. He knows he can if he wants to but he promised that he’d protect her.

A dry laugh escaped his lips. Protect her. All because he loves her. All because he didn’t want anything to hurt her. Yet the last image of her was the pain he promised she wouldn’t feel. He wished she should’ve slapped him. He wished she should’ve shouted at him. To let her angry seld be the last image he holds. Yet she never gave him what he wanted.

He let his lungs expand then let the flowers in it be the white trail that freed themselves from him. He took one step and her face came into view. Her voice invaded his space. Her warmth envelopes him. His heart burns as his eyes release his regret and sorrow.

Just how much does he look up to himself for him to think that he can protect her? He wasn’t some hero that can take everything. He wants her there with him. He wants her there but he has to be satisfied with just glancing at her. Seeing her interact with her friends. Seeing her act with other men knowing that a little courage was all it needed that could’ve made that person him. 

That all could’ve been wouldn’t exist.

He turns on his heel and walks back to the hotel with her last promise accompanying him.

“I’ll never forget you, Wong Yukhei.”

 

I kiss each of your memory and look in the past with regret

Because we were just kids and we didn't know what we were doing.


Note: The purpose of the publication of this one-shot is to replace the promised story "What's Rightfully Yours". Due to personal reasons (excuses) I will not be able to continue nor finish the promised story. I hope you'd understand. Please forgive me for my indecisiveness, hesitation, and inconsistency. Also please excuse my errors in writing this short story as it has been a long while since I last wrote. Your comments is always appreciated so please don't hesitate to leave one. Still, I hope you enjoyed this story. Thank you and see you around.