squeak

tiny squeaks (hide this pain)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yerim had always found peacefulness in having her headphones on while she slept. Since she knows herself too much and she knows that she sleeps like a log, the fear of turning over and possibly hurting herself and destroying her precious headphones (it was her mom's first gift for her) was not something that bothered her every time she puts on her pajamas and gets herself ready for bed.

The sereneness of everything, the peacefulness that music brings to her whenever it lulls her to sleep and makes her morning the greatest time she always have (Hyunjin doesn't believe her when she answers her this same thing every time in breakfast), it makes Yerim's day.

But right now, she doesn't grab her headphone from its box like she always do whenever the clock hits 10:43pm and even her Jiwoo unnie gets weirded by it.

"Are you planning on staying up, Yerim-ah?" Jiwoo asks her from the vanity, wiping her face with her cleaning products.

"No unnie, I'm all ready for bed." Yerim pauses. "I think."

"You're not wearing your headphones, how would you sleep?" Jiwoo frowns in front of the mirror, scrubbing her face with the cotton pads Jungeun let her borrow since she just realized she ran out of her own.

"I know." Yerim shakes her head, stilling herself as she rests her back on the wall beside their bunkbeds, her feet coming in contact with the railing on the other side of her bed that prevents her from falling down. "I don't think I'm going to wear it tonight."

"Then how would you sleep?"

Yerim looks at Jiwoo from the mirror and shrugs.

"I'll try to find a way." She purses her lips. "My body doesn't seem to want me to wear the headphones and before you say anything, that's not me getting lazy. I just...don't want to wear it."

After Jiwoo finishes her business and had given everyone their goodnight kisses (that earned her shrieks coming from Jungeun, returned kisses from Sooyoung, Yerim and Heejin, a 12 minute wild goose chase with Hyejoo, Hyunjin and Jinsoul, a groan from Yeojin and Gowon, and a chuckle from Vivi), the penguin finally closes their door and turns off their light, immediately falling asleep on her bunk as she hugs her penguin plushie.

Yerim wishes the same.

"Maybe it was a mistake not wearing the headphones." Yerim thinks as she lies wide awake on her bunk, staring right at the ceiling where her worn out ceiling stars were attached.

It was a bit late in the night when Yerim hears something. She turns on her side to look at the wall clock above the vanity, seeing the numbers 2:17AM flashing in green light.

She lies on her back again and tries to listen hard.

"Was that a squeak?" She questions herself for a bit when she hears the sound again.

Unsatisfied and curious, Yerim gets off of her bed and walks towards their room's door, peeking her head out and looking around, seeing no light coming from the living room. She continues out of the room and stands in the middle of the hallway. 

"It must be coming from one of the ro---" Yerim freezes when she hears the sound again, this time it was closer. When she hears it again, she finds herself staring at the door beside the door they were adjacent with.

And now that she's outside of her room, she realizes that the sounds weren't squeaks, but were sobs.

"Yeojin and Heejin unnie's room. Is Heejin unnie watching another anime?" Yerim chuckles when she remembers that instance where the whole group got woken up by loud crying. When they entered the living room, they found Heejin and Jiwoo watching Anohana. 

She approaches the door and stops before it, contemplating whether she'd knock or not. She chooses the latter and slowly turns he doorknob.

She sees the big lump on her Heejin unnie’s bunk, but the sobs aren't coming from there. Her eyes automatically flies up on the top bunk, seeing Yeojin's shaking back as it falls in rhythm with the sound. Yerim sighs, slipping herself in the dark room through a very narrow path through the door, not wanting the light in the hallway to wake up anyone inside the room. As she slowly closes the door and pats her way towards

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter