Four

The Deeper You Sink
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Are you okay in there?”

Technically the answer was yes. The floor was a little cold and leaning against the wall was hardly doing wonders for his back but other than that Jaemin was fine. He had been in the bathroom for quite a while though so he couldn’t really blame Renjun for asking. He also couldn’t blame him for hammering on the door and calling his name again when he took too long to answer. “Yeah, I’m okay.” He called and the knocking let up.

“Did you take the test?” Renjun asked next.

“Yes.” He replied and then things went quiet. It wasn’t a good kind of quiet; it was an incredibly awkward kind of quiet where no one knew quite what to say and nobody wanted to open their mouths in fear of making things worse.

Unsurprisingly it was Renjun who worked up the courage to clear his throat and break the silence. “And?” he prompted.

Jaemin looked down at the test on the floor in front of him and brought his knees up, hugging them to his chest. Yes he’d taken it but it had been sitting there facedown for the last twenty minutes. He’d been trying to talk himself into picking it up and turning it over but he’d been having a bit of trouble getting his hands to cooperate. “I’ve not looked at the result yet.” He confessed. He knew he was being stupid, putting it off wasn’t going to change anything but he couldn’t help it. If he picked it up and the test read positive, well that would be it. It wouldn’t be ‘What if I’m pregnant?’ anymore which was a scary enough thought as it was, it would be ‘I am pregnant’ instead followed by ‘What the hell do I do now?’ and that wasn’t something he was ready to think about.

“Oh.” Renjun said, sounding surprised. “So you’re not having a mental breakdown because it’s telling you something you don’t want to know?”

“No, that’s not what I’m doing.” He was just approaching a mental breakdown at the mere thought of it coming back positive. He didn’t know if that was better or worse. Worse probably he thought sourly. His inability to even look at the test in front of him just highlighted the fact that he was a coward.

“Right, well, that’s good…” Renjun began before falling silent again.

Jaemin could hear his friend shuffling his feet on the carpet even through the door and he could imagine him chewing on his bottom lip indecisively as he did so. He sighed. “You can come in if you want. The door’s open.”

Renjun didn’t need to be told twice, within seconds he was sitting on the bathroom floor beside Jaemin. He nudged him in the side with his elbow and nodded at the test in front of them. “Do you want me to look at it for you?”

Jaemin turned to look at him, his expression thoughtful. On the one hand letting Renjun do it would make things a lot easier. It would mean he could stop freezing his backside off on the floor sooner rather than later for one. On the other hand it was a lot to ask, if it was bad news then it would be up to Renjun to tell him and he didn’t think he should be laying that at his friend’s door. Renjun had done enough for him the last week or so as it was. He frowned. “I don’t know Jun. I mean I’m supposed to be a grown-up, I should probably do it myself.”

“But can you?” Renjun asked. “Do it yourself I mean. To be honest, I can see this sitting on the floor just staring thing stretching on indefinitely.”

“I can do it.” Jaemin mumbled. “I can. I just need a minute.”

“You’ve had nearly thirty.” Renjun pointed out.

“I know. And I know I’m making this a lot harder than it needs to be but…”

“You’re scared.” Renjun finished for him when he let the sentence trail off.

Jaemin released a breath he hadn’t been aware he’d been holding. As painful as it was to admit it Renjun was right. He was terrified. “Yes.” He said, his cheeks reddening. “I am so, so scared.”

“You’re allowed to be scared.” Renjun told him and he hooked his arm through Jaemin’s and shuffled closer. “I’m scared and I’m not even the one who… well you know… so yeah, I’d be worried if you weren’t scared to be honest.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right. If I wasn’t nervous right now that would be weird.” They were sitting shoulder to shoulder now, Renjun’s arm still hooked through his, and while Jaemin usually disliked people encroaching on his personal space he found that at right that second he didn’t really mind. In fact having Renjun right there was kind of comforting, his grip on his arm a reminder that he wasn’t entirely on his own. “I really am sorry, about earlier. I shouldn’t have stormed off like that. I just didn’t want to listen, you know? I acted like a brat and I…”

“Stop apologising.” Renjun said, cutting him off before he could start rambling. “I told you already, it doesn’t matter.”

Jaemin opened his mouth, intending to apologise for apologising but the warning look on Renjun’s face had him snapping his mouth shut again.

“That’s better.” Renjun nodded, apparently satisfied. “Now are you going to find out what the test says or do you want me to do it for you? I mean it’s not like we’ve got all day, you’ve got work later and you should probably eat before you leave.”

“Probably.” Jaemin mused, momentarily distracted. At the mention of food he suddenly realised he was starving. He hadn’t eaten anything since breakfast and he’d only managed about half a peach turnover , he didn’t think that counted as a proper meal.

“What do you feel like eating?”

Jaemin gave this some careful consideration. “Fried chicken?” He suggested, hoping Renjun would agree with him.

And much to Jaemin’s relief, Renjun nodded. “We can do that. When we’re done here I’ll order us some fried chicken, my treat.”

“You don’t have to.” Jaemin argued. “I can pay. You’ve done enough for me already today.” He added, glancing down at the test on the floor.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter