Three

The Deeper You Sink
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After his argument with Jaemin sleep had been a long time coming for Renjun. He’d spent most of the night staring at the ceiling replaying his conversation with Jaemin over in his head, thinking that maybe if he’d worded things differently, hadn’t pushed, let Jaemin’s words go over his head instead of leaving the room in a sulk then things might have turned out better. It was the next morning now, almost half past ten and looking at Jaemin, still sprawled across his own bed, his sheets tangled around his legs and his pillows knocked to the floor Renjun was guessing he must have been tossing and turning most of the night too. He sighed and backed out of the room, quietly pulling the door closed behind him.

To be honest last night had been a bit of a train wreck he thought as he made his way down the hall and into the living room. He should have stuck to his original plan and left talking to Jaemin until the morning, sat him down at the breakfast table and taken his time. But the damage was done now and since he didn’t possess a time machine there was no way he could go back and fix things. And anyway there was no guarantee that plan would have worked either, as smart as Jaemin was he could still be annoyingly obtuse at times not to mention stupidly stubborn.

So he was going to have to make the best of a bad situation and he was going to do that by buying Jaemin a breakfast he would hopefully eat, pastries from the coffee shop on the corner he was thinking, cooked breakfasts hadn’t been going down very well lately and Jaemin did have a sweet tooth, and with any luck that would be enough to pry an apology out of his friend. If that didn’t do the trick then he was going to demand one because even though he was ninety nine per cent sure Jaemin hadn’t meant a word he’d said the night before he still hadn’t deserved to be talked to that way when he’d only been trying to help. Then he should probably apologise himself for springing the whole notion that he might be pregnant on him so suddenly because he’d probably have had a mental breakdown too if someone had done the same thing to him in the early hours of the morning.

And then, even if Jaemin didn’t want to hear it he was going to bring up the subject again because the more he thought about it the more convinced he was that his friend really could be pregnant and he knew Jaemin well enough to know that if he left him to work things out on his own and it turned out that he was pregnant then there was a real possibility he’d carry on insisting that he wasn’t until it became impossible to do so and he couldn’t let that happen, not if he didn’t want to be branded a terrible friend. So mind made up Renjun shrugged on his jacket, shoved his shoes on his feet, grabbed his wallet from the coffee table and headed out the door.

 

--

 

When Renjun returned to the apartment, cup-holder balanced in one hand and bag of pastries clasped in the other the first thing he saw was Jaemin standing in the middle of the living room. His hair was dishevelled, there were bags under his eyes and he was twisting the hem of his t-shirt between his fingers, clearly anxious. “Where were you?” he demanded before Renjun could even open his mouth.

Renjun waved the pastry bag at him. “I went out to get food.” He explained. The panic evident in Jaemin’s voice was somewhat gratifying, if he’d been that upset to wake up and find him gone then maybe an apology wouldn’t be that hard to coax out of him after all.

“Oh, right.” Jaemin said his grip on his t-shirt loosening, the anxious look on his face replaced by a sheepish one. “I just… that stuff I said? I shouldn’t have and I wanted to tell you that because, well, I know that now. Technically I knew that then but I can be really stupid sometimes. And I know you had every right to be mad at me but I really hate it when you’re not talking to me, you know? So I got up to come find you but you weren’t in your room and the bathroom was empty and I thought you might have gone to Jeno’s and…”

And there it was. It wasn’t much as apologies went, in fact it was verging on incoherent but it would do. “Don’t worry about it.” Renjun told him, cutting him off. “You were tired; you weren’t thinking straight, it’s not a big deal. Now do you want some of these or not?”

Jaemin let out a clearly audible sigh of relief before studying the bag in Renjun’s hand. He bit his lip as he considered the offer. “Did you get any of those peach turnover things?” he said at last.

“Yes.” Renjun told him.

“Well then yes, yes please.”

 

--

“Wait, is this hot chocolate?” Jaemin asked from across the table and Renjun nodded.

“Yeah, the cashier tricked me into buying them; they're on the limited edition menu, they have cherry or something in them.” Apparently adding one pump of cherry syrup meant they could charge almost twice the price but the girl behind the counter had made the suggestion so brightly and Renjun had been too tired to do more than just nod.

Jaemin took a tentative sip, no doubt wishing it was coffee, cherry syrup or not hot chocolate was never usually his first choice. “It’s pretty good.” He confirmed, with a hint of surprise in his voice.

Renjun sipped his own drink and nodded in agreement, glad Jaemin hadn’t kicked up a fuss about his drink not being caffeinated, and they fell into a comfortable silence. They hadn’t had a chance to spend much time together lately and it was nice just getting to sit with his friend and enjoy his breakfast. And while Renjun really hated the thought of ruining the aura of calm content that had settled over the room what he had to say couldn't wait. “Jaemin, about las

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter