One

You Are My First Love

Sooyoung was sat with her family in a busy restaurant. It was a week before her birthday, and her family had insisted on taking her out for a meal. She was confused at first as to why they didn’t just take her out on the day, however after much persuasion from her parents and the promise of “you’ll understand why once we’re out,” she agreed to go. So here she was sitting next to her younger sister Chaewon with her parents opposite her, all of them eating their food in silence. Sooyoung was trying to listen to the music that was playing; however she couldn’t hear it due to the amount of people talking in the restaurant.

“So, Sooyoung, your birthday is coming up soon.” Sooyoung’s father broke the silence, as he cut his steak.

Sooyoung nodded. “Yes, I’m curious to know what it is you’re giving to me. It must be important considering we’re here now rather than next week.” Before her parents could answer Sooyoung spoke up excitedly, “is it a car? That would be so much easier than driving my bike.”

Sooyoung’s mother and father shared a look before looking back at Sooyoung.

“No, it’s not a car.” Her father answered bluntly.

“I’m intrigued as to what it is too,” Chaewon spoke up. “I mean, we’ve never gone to dinner early for my birthday.”

“That’s because you’re too young for this type of gift,” their mother replied. “It’s a special gift. We’ve wanted to give this to you for a while, Sooyoung. We just were not sure if you were ready for it, as it comes with a lot of responsibilities.”

Sooyoung looked at her parents, and then at Chaewon and blinked. “I’m actually afraid now, can you please tell me what it is?”

“Alright,” their father spoke up. “You’re getting older now, Sooyoung.”

“Yeah, she is.” Chaewon giggled.

“Chaewon, this is serious. Please don’t interrupt.” Their mother said whilst looking at her husband waiting for him to explain more.

“Thank you, dear. Now as I was saying, Sooyoung you’re getting older now. You’re in college.”

Sooyoung nodded. “Right, but what does my age have to do with a gift?”

“Your mother and I, whilst you have both been at college and with your friends, we’ve been looking at houses for you.” The father made eye contact with Sooyoung.

“What?” Sooyoung’s eyes widened. “Are you saying what I think your saying?”

“We’ve found a house for you; it has two bedrooms so it’s a bit big. However, it’s in a perfect location for you. It’s not too far from your college, nor is it too far away from our house.” The father ignored Sooyoung’s confused look and kept talking. “So, we bought it for you.”

“You bought me a house?” Sooyoung asked, she couldn’t believe what was happening. Surely this couldn’t be real.

“Yes, that’s what I just said.” Her father responded. “Your mother and I will pay your rent and bills for you, of course. However, Sooyoung, there is one condition that comes along with the house.” Her father created eye contact with her once again. “You must not, and I mean this when I say it, you must not have anyone else stay over. I will come by once a week to check up on you, and make sure that you’re keeping your part of the deal. Do you understand?”

“Yes, I understand.” Sooyoung nodded. “I won’t allow anyone else to stay there.”

“No parties either,” her father stated. “No parties and no one stays over. Of course, you can have your friends come round to keep you company, but that’s it.” Sooyoung’s father reached into his pocket and pulled out a key. “Here is the key to your new home.” He smiled as he handed the key over to Sooyoung.

“Thank you,” Sooyoung smiled.

“Can I have Sooyoung’s room now that she’s moving out?” Chaewon grinned.

“Absolutely not,” Sooyoung replied.

Their parents looked at each other and chuckled.

Jiwoo stared at the letter in front of her. It was an eviction notice. She had received many eviction notices in the past few months, and it was starting to make her feel anxious. After her father had died her mother had abandoned her with the promise that she will continue to support her financially and will continue to pay the bills and rent for her, as Jiwoo had been left in their family home.

She picked up her phone and dialled her mother’s number, unsurprisingly for Jiwoo after a few rings it went to voice mail. Sighing, she tried calling again but the same thing happened, it was her third attempt at calling and this time she left a voice mail.

“Mom, I know that you can see I’m calling you. I keep getting eviction notices, and I’m scared. Please can you just call me back,” she hung up the phone and allowed the tears to run freely down her cheeks.

Jiwoo scrolled through her contacts on her phone until she landed on Sooyoung’s number. Her thumb hovered over the call button for a few moments, before she quickly turned her phone off. She knew that Sooyoung was out with her family, and even if she wasn’t, how could she possibly explain her situation to her best friend?

Jiwoo and Sooyoung had been best friends ever since they were little, they had grown up together. They went to the same school, they were always at each other’s house, and now they went to the same college together. When Jiwoo’s father passed away, Sooyoung had attended the funeral to support Jiwoo. Sooyoung was the only non family member to attend the funeral as Jiwoo’s family had wanted the funeral to be private, however they respected the fact that it was a difficult time for Jiwoo so they agreed that Sooyoung could come.

Jiwoo would always remember the conversation that she and Sooyoung had after the funeral; it was something that gave her comfort. It made her feel like she was not alone, and that she did have someone, she had Sooyoung.

Sooyoung walked up to the church where the funeral was being held. She looked around, she could see that Jiwoo was sitting alone on a bench outside the church; her face was emotionless as she stared into space. Sooyoung was about to walk over to Jiwoo when she felt herself being pushed to the side by a woman who was crying hysterically. Sooyoung watched as the woman ran to Jiwoo’s mother and enveloped her in a hug. Sooyoung then looked at Jiwoo again, who was now looking at the two women with an emotionless expression on her face. Sooyoung stared at Jiwoo for a little while longer, waiting until Jiwoo’s mother and the other lady who Sooyoung assumes is Jiwoo’s aunt walked into the church.

Sooyoung walked over to Jiwoo and sat beside her on the bench. Neither of them said a word to each other, Sooyoung would steal quick glances at Jiwoo but would then look back down at her hands. Moments passed until Sooyoung pulled out a brown A4 envelope, without saying a word she handed it to Jiwoo. Jiwoo took the envelope and opened it.

“The teacher told me to give it to you,” Sooyoung said as she watched Jiwoo read the papers that were inside the envelope. “It’s for the exchange programme, the application is technically closed now, but it’s just in case...”

“How can I possibly go anywhere?” Jiwoo cut her off. “My mom is all alone now, she needs me. So, I’m good. Besides I didn’t want to go anyway.” Jiwoo passed the envelope back to Sooyoung.

There was another silence between them.

“Um, Jiwoo...” Sooyoung broke the silence once again. “I don’t know what I can say to comfort you.”

“Don’t bother,” Jiwoo sighed. “I guess it’s natural, people die every day. And I guess that it was my dad’s turn.” She bit her lip as she felt tears run down her cheeks.

Sooyoung looked at Jiwoo, and then moved off the bench and looked up at the sky. “Oh wow, Jiwoo,” she sighed. “It looks like it’s raining, why would it rain today of all days? My hair is going to get ruined, ugh.” She let out a loud groan.

Much to Sooyoung’s surprise she felt a smack on her shoulder from Jiwoo.

“Can you please just stop talking, you’re being too loud.” Jiwoo said.

Sooyoung wasn’t going to allow there to be another silence between them, she watched as the tears fell on to Jiwoo’s hands before she spoke up again.

“Look... Your hands, they’re all wet.” She said as she wiped the tears off Jiwoo’s hands with her thumb. “And look, it looks like the rain has gotten into your eyes too.” She moved her hand to Jiwoo’s cheek and wiped away the tears that were falling. “Why on earth is it only raining on you?” She chuckled lightly, trying to break the tension.

Jiwoo looked up at her with the same blank expression, not saying a word.

Sooyoung noticed an umbrella next to Jiwoo, she grabbed it and put it over their heads. Jiwoo looked at her again with a slightly confused look on her face, but still Sooyoung couldn’t figure out whether what she was doing was helping.

“Jiwoo,” she spoke as she created eye contact with Jiwoo. “I want you to know that...” Sooyoung took a breath before continuing. “I want you to know that like this umbrella, I’ll be here for you when it feels like the rain is only falling on you.” She paused as she thought of what else to say to comfort Jiwoo. “I want you to know that the only difference between me and this umbrella is that I will be here for you when the sun shines over you too. I will be here for you, no matter what Jiwoo whether it’s just light rainy showers or if the rain is falling hard or even if the sun is blazing hot... I’ll be here.”

Another silence fell between the two girls, as Jiwoo processed what Sooyoung had said to her. Sooyoung sat back down next to Jiwoo, and put the umbrella away. She stole a few glances at Jiwoo, and was trying to figure out what Jiwoo was feeling, but she couldn’t. Jiwoo’s face was still emotionless.

“Sooyoung,” Jiwoo whispered her name almost inaudibly, but Sooyoung heard her.

“Hm?”

“Why...” Jiwoo looked up at Sooyoung and hesitated for a few moments. “Why are you so nice to me?”

Sooyoung blinked. That was the last thing she had expected Jiwoo to say, but still she replied. “I’m not being nice to you, Jiwoo. I’m being honest. . I can’t imagine my life without you, and frankly I don’t want to. You’re my best friend, you always have been and you always will be, and I...” Sooyoung looked at Jiwoo and then down at the floor. “I... Want to be with you, always. No matter whether you’re happy or sad or anything in between. I want to always be there for you, no matter what.”

To Sooyoung’s surprise Jiwoo smiled, it was a small weak smile, but nonetheless she smiled. Instantly Sooyoung smiled back at her, and took Jiwoo’s hand in her own.

“I mean it Jiwoo, if you ever need me... I’ll be there, no matter what. I promise.”

Jiwoo smiled at the memory of Sooyoung’s words. Her happiness was short lived though when she realized the extent of the situation that she was in. She could be homeless in a matter of days. There was no way Sooyoung could help her with that.

She switched her phone back on and tried calling her mom again but again it just rang until it hit voicemail. This time Jiwoo didn’t leave a voicemail. Instead she switched her phone off and decided to get some rest. It had been a long day, and Sooyoung was picking her up for college the following morning.