The Hike.

The Hike
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Whee-in and Hye-jin both found themselves free from the clutches of exams and work. The pair of best friends missing each other due to busy schedules and studies. Whee-in was in the thick of her art classes and working her apprenticeship as a curator at the local museum. Hye-jin was tangled up in her science classes and shadowing as a nurse while also balancing working at a cafe. The two best friends were simply tired and ready to collapse at any moment from the strenuous work. 

They only managed to survive by sending memes to each other when they couldn't meet up in person. They survived off of memes, ranting messages, and sometimes voice notes. Thankfully, they were able to catch their big break with the upcoming holidays. Hye-jin instantly found herself running out of the university and to the bus stop to meet up with Whee-in at her apartment. She was excited to see her friend after what felt like eternity. Her excitement was even higher when Whee-in sent her a mysterious text alluding to having something exciting for the two of them to do. Hye-jin hoped whatever it was, it involved lots of food and wine. 

When Hye-jin arrived to Whee-in's small apartment, she climbed the stairs two at a time. She then made it to Whee-in's door and gave it the special knock. A knock that involved four taps and a pause then seven with a pause. April and July, their birth months. They came up with the idea in middle school and never looked back. Hye-jin had a grin on her lips as the door opened. She immediately walked inside and kicked her shoes off.

"You don't know how excited I am for this break. I can already taste all the fried chicken, pizza, gopchang, and wine we are going to have. I know that I said I love helping people but I'm starting to hate them especially when they keep throwing me on vomit clean up duty. I thought shadowing as a nurse would be more fun." She tossed her backpack on the ground and flopped down on Whee-in's couch. 

Whee-in, who stood there with a giddy grin on her lips. She smiled at her younger friend. She kept the grin on her lips as she waited for Hye-jin to notice two perfectly packed hiking bags waiting for the two of them in the middle of the floor. Hye-jin simply grabbed the TV remote and flipped the TV on. 

"Whee! Can you order us pizza? I am starving." Hye-jin said clueless to the gear.

Whee-in cleared and nodded her head towards the bags. "Hye-jin, do you remember what you promised we would do when we got another break?" 

Hye-jin's eyebrows furrowed at the question. What did she promise to do with Whee-in? Had she promised to go to the art museum? "Ah, we can go to the museum after we eat." Hye-jin notices Whee-in's smile wavering a bit. Ah, crap... That wasn't the promise. Hye-jin sat up as she tried to think about what was promised. She knew that her and Whee-in had planned on getting another matching tattoo. They also planned on going on the Han River to take photos. 

When Hye-jin fails to answer the question, Whee-in threw her arms dramatically in the direction of the hiking bags. Hye-jin's eyes widened as she remembered the promise suddenly. Hye-jin had promised Whee-in that they would go hiking on Bukhansan in Seoul. It was a promised made after Hye-jin brushed off Whee-in's wish a couple of times. She was indebted to her friend. They had pinky promised on it and kissed pinkies. 

"Waaah! Are you serious? Are we really going now?" Hye-jin asked. 

"Yes! You promised! If we don't go today then you know I won't ever get you to go." Whee-in said with a slight pout. 

"Ah, you have a point. But come on, I just came from school can we at least eat first?" Hye-jin asked. 

Whee-in shook her head, "If we eat first then you'll get sleepy and want to take a nap."

"Whee! You can't just starve me!"

"I'm not starving you! I have packed us some ongiri, kimchi, some power bars, and Orion Choco Pies to eat once we reach the top!"

Hye-jin sat up at the mention of the snack choices. Although she rather have pizza and some wine, the snacks motivate her enough to get up from the couch. She shot Whee-in her best glare as the smaller tossed her arms around her and hugged onto her tight. 

"You're the best! If we get going now, we might get to watch the sunset!" Whee-in squeals.

"Yah yah! Okay, but I want a choco pie now." Hye-jin said with a mock grumpy tone.

Whee-in obliged and fished a choco pie out of the bag for Hye-jin. She then waited as Hye-jin went to her bedroom to change clothes. The two best friends always kept spare clothes at each other houses for different occasions. It was more convenient for them since Hye-jin still lived on campus and Whee-in did not. Whee-in clapped with giddy excitement as Hye-jin came out of the bathroom in chic yet comfortable sporty clothes to hike. Her bundles of black hair up in her famous messy bun. 

"Lets get going. We better have pizza after all of this." Hye-jin said.

"Of course! Come on!"

Hye-jin grunted as she picked up the hiking bag. Whee-in picked up the other and the two were off to Bukhansan. Hye-jin spent the entire bus ride trying to hype herself up for climbing the mountain. From some searches on Naver, she realized it would take her and Whee-in four to five hours to hike up the entire mountain. She nearly felt her soul fly out of her body but she was glad that Whee-in only chose for the both of them to hike up to the highest point where equipment wasn't needed. Hye-jin wanted to question her friend on why they didn't go with a large group of people but changed her mind.

Hye-jin was pretty shy and didn't find making friends too easy. Whee-in was also shy but was a bit more open to people than she was. The idea of them gathering about 8 more people to come sounded like a disaster. It would only end in embarrassment and possibly someone being pushed off the mountain. The thought of it made Hye-jin giggle as Whee-in sat next to her going on and on about how long she's been waiting for this. 

"On our next break, can we hike the full mountain? Pleeeeease?" Whee-in begged in an ae

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter