If We Meet Again

If We Meet Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

If We Meet Again
Moon Chae Won • Lee Joon Gi
문채운 • 이준기

 

*   *   *

 

Characters:

Moon Chae Won as Moon Han Byul
Lee Joon Gi as Lee Min Woo

 

*   *   *

 

"My dream? My dream is to get married to someone I love." Han Byul said lovingly, as she was half-day-dreaming it.

Jin Hee roll-eyed on her friend who seemed to be lost in her own fictional world. "Is that all? Don't you have any other dream. Like, 'dream'," she quoted.

When Han Byul was young, she dreamt of becoming a photographer, a chef, a flight attendant, a nurse. There were a lot of them that she wanted to be. It was something that would change in time, and on different situations.

Every time someone would ask her what was her dream, she would give multiple answers. And when she was growing older, she became more unsure of what she wanted to be. She tried to fit in with people around her. She'd try to achieve things she was told to. Until one day, everything and everyone started to pressure her.

She had graduated college and got her bachelor's degree in Education. For three years she has been applying and resigning from different of companies. She can't seem to stick to one company and felt like she was in search of something she has yet to figure out.

"Look at you," Jin Hee eyed the person sitting across her. "You're a degree holder, you're smart, you're young. Why are you wasting all those?"

This time, it was Han Byul who rolled her eyes at her friend. She knows how messed up she is, how unsuccessful she is. She knows oh so well, but that wasn't what she was aiming for this time, and maybe —just maybe— it wasn't at all from the very start.

She just wanted to get married, so bad.

"I know. You don't have to slap me my uselessness over and over again."

Jin Hee growled, "It just irks me that you're settling for less."

"Come on, this ain't the first time we had this conversation. I've told you," she was then cut off by Jin Hee who filled her sentence for her.

"Being a wife doesn't equal to settling for less," she knowingly stated. Han Byul had said that every time she brought up the same topic. "I know that, but it just frustrates me how you're goal all these time is just to be a wife when you could be a wife and so much more."

"You don't understand." Han Byul breathed out heavily.

"I do."

"You don't." She replied sharp and she could feel Jin Hee feeling bad for her own action. "I mean you do," she tried to not discredit her friend's concern. "But you don't feel what I feel. You... you're happily in a relationship. All my friends are in a relationship, married, and even have babies already. I don't want to die alone."

"I know, and I'm sorry if I make you feel that way." Jin Hee held her friend's hand that was resting on the table, and gently rubbed it with her thumb.

Han Byul gave her friend a smile as if saying, it's okay.

In that exact moment, Min Woo suddenly showed up from behind Han Byul, causing her to be a little jumpy. Satisfied with her reaction, he then took the seat beside her.

Min Woo gave Han Byul a big smile that was half-apologetic-half-i-meant-to-scare-you, and she just hissed at him.

Jin Hee and Min Woo greeted each other before she excused herself since she still had to work for a night shift. "Glad you're finally here. Take good care of this damsel, will you?" She said before turning her heels towards the exit.

Both of them briefly watched Jin Hee as she heads out. When she was gone, Min Woo transferred to the seat where Jin Hee previously occupied.

Now that they were facing each other, Han Byul asked, "What made you want to see me? Possibly, you changed your mind and agrees on marrying me now?" She said, challenging.

He sneered at her bluntness. "Probably?" He raised a brow as he rides along. "If you finally found a good enough reason for me to throw my chance with Soo Jin and come running to you."

"Is reminding you that Soo Jin rejected you every time you asked her out, enough yet?"

It has been almost a year since Min Woo fell in love with Soo Jin, his junior at work. And it has been three months since he made a move on her but was constantly rejected. He had asked her out thrice already, once every month, hoping something would change.

"And it was just two days ago since your last rejection." She said, intending to put plenty of salt on his fresh wound hoping it'll wake him up from reality.

Min Woo grabbed his chest and dramatically showed a hurt expression. "You're really the most loving person I know."

She scrunched her nose nodding. "The most loving person who needs love."

"Okay," he said exaggerating. "I'll marry you if by the end of this year Soo Jin would still reject me." Han Byul was stunned for a moment before a smile formed on her face. "Two months more."

Han Byul bobbed her head still smiling widely, "Two months more."

 

*   *   *

 

Han Byul, together with her friends, were having a dinner party at her house. It was dim with only fairy lights and few warm colored pen lights from her ceiling to brighten the place, giving a warm yet party like atmosphere.

At the center table were foods of different types. They were brought by some of her friends and some are what she prepared. Two wine bottles, one from her friend and one from her small cellar. Scented candles were also lit up.

On one wall, two balloons that forms two and seven were pinned just above the long sofa of her living room, separating a cutely cut out happy birthday pasted on each side of it.

On the carpeted floor, a messy confetti has already been scattered. There were also fairy lights messily placed, yet it gave a beautiful touch to the whole area.

"Where's Min Woo, isn't he coming?" Min Ji, one of her close friends from University asked.

Han Byul didn't really have close friends from work, since she had never last longer than six months in one company.

Han Byul frowned, "I don't know."

"Have you called him?" Han Byul shook her head 'no' "Why don't you call him?"

"Should I?" Han Byul's mood lifted up in an instant. She couldn't help but smile from the thought of calling him alone.

Min Ji nodded at her friend, "Go ahead."

With that, Han Byul took out her phone from her back pocket and dragged her feet to the corner of the living area. Giving enough distance from others in the room.

Took him long to answer but he did before the call automatically gets disconnected. "Oh, Han Byul?"

"Oh Han Byul?" She hissed. "Where are you!" she demanded more than questioning.

"I am with Soo Jin, why?"

"Again? Don't you know what today is?" She sounded angry but she felt disappointed... and maybe, a little hurt.

"Why? What is it?"

"Today is..."

"I'm sorry, Soo Jin is calling me now. I'll call you later." Min Woo said cutting her off and hangs up on her.

She jeezed and complained silently before she joined her friends once again.

"What did he say?" Tae Joon, Min Ji's boyfriend asked once she sat back on her seat.

She had an annoyed expression still painted on her face. "With his never-going-to-be-girlfriend." She didn't even mind to show her annoyance to them.

"Nah-ah, birthday queen shouldn't have bad mood on her day." Eun Bin motioned 'no' with her pointer finger.

"Right! You shouldn't. How about I'll call Hee Chan over?" Min Ji suggested sneakily.

"Hee Chan? Ohhh, you still like him?" Jin Hee pried.

"No." Han Byul said stern. And they all knew that.

Hee Chan was her ex boyfriend and it has been four years since their break up. It was her who broke up with him, and they knew how much she hated the thought of them getting back together.

They continued eating and chatting and drinking when her intercom rang. Han Byul was about to stand up but Ye Rin volunteered to get it.

Ye Rin checked the intercom and saw Min Woo waiting for the door to be opened. She let him in and excitedly turned to Han Byul.

"Byul," she called affectionately as she neared her.

Han Byul looked at her confused, but soon she was surprised to see Min Woo who just showed himself not far from her doorstep's short hallway.

"Oppa," she wanted to tear up but she knows she shouldn't.

Everyone turned their heads towards Min Woo. He exchanged greetings with everyone, before he flashed an affectionate smile back to Han Byul.

"What day is today again?" He said teasingly.

"Yah!" Han Byul shouted annoyed but happy at the same time.

They all laughed at her while Min Woo showed a grin on his face, "Happy birthday kiddo." He greeted and handed her a gift on a paper bag.

Han Byul stood up as she took the gift and shared a quick hug.

He sat on the floor from the side. Most of them sat on the floor circling the center table, with only Han Byul and two of her friends sitting on the couch.

They spent till ten o'clock in the evening before they decided to leave. Min Woo let everyone go first, leaving him and Han Byul alone.

"Happy birthday again." He greeted when she was back from sending her friends out.

"Thank you, I didn't know you could be this sweet to surprise me." She grinned teasingly.

"Am I?" He snorted.

"Did you like the gift? I couldn't read your expression when you opened it."

The gift was an artist apron with a customized embroidery on the upper right side. A moon and a star with her name below it, Moon Han Byul.

"I love it, it's beautiful." She said plainly.

"Then why do you look like you're not."

She sighed heavily, sitting next to him who was already sitting on the leathered couch. "It's just that, I haven't painted in so long."

"Then why don't you get back on it."

She smiled dryly. "You even got me a beautifully customized one, how can I not." She exhaled heavily. "You've got one less month, have you decided yet?" She probe, changing the topic to ease her mood.

"One month is more than enough to get Soo Jin to say yes."

"If you're that confident then why were you rejected the past four months? You were rejected again today were you?"

Min Woo tilted his head on one side, "I could feel my fruition next month, she just wavered a while ago. She was always firm to reject me but not this time." He was full of confidence this time and she could tell.

"Is that so? Then good for you, yet too bad for me, I guess I should prepare myself with failure." Her smile was half hearted but he doesn't have to know that.

Han Byul stood up and ushered him out, "I guess I need to find another candidate good enough for my proposal."

Min Woo stopped her halfway from forcing him out of her house. "Are you that disappointed of possibly losing a person as perfect as me that you are even pettily driving me out of your house?"

"Umm, I guess I am." She then went back to pushing him out. "And I really need to clean up so I could rest my heavy head already. So, if you don't mind?"

She did want to rest already. Having had enough drink made her feel heavy but she wouldn't like leaving a mess around, it'll only make her restless.

"I'll clean up, you should get rest." He said, stopping her again from pushing him away.

Her sigh was short and heavy. She stood for a moment, deciding. "If you say so." She then marched to her room which was only few steps away from the hallway. "Wash the dishes and clean the floor from any mess. Take the trash out as you go." She stopped her tracks when she was in front of her bedroom door already, then she looked back at him once more. "Make sure to shut the door properly as you leave."

Min Woo gaped. He wasn't expecting her to give up so easily, much more letting him clean everything alone. Well, he asked for it. "I get it, go rest now, you look horrible. Good night."

She turned her back from him, "Good night." She locked the door behind her once she was inside her room.

The night was so quite that he could hear the faint sound of the door being locked, so he shouted, "Don't worry! I don't have intentions to even lay a finger on the knob of your room!" He smiled finding it adorable.

He had cleaned up the leftovers first then washed the dishes they have used. He then cleaned the floor and set the gifts she has received on the side. While he was on it, a birthday card slipped from one gift.

He didn't intend to read it but his eyes involuntarily did anyway. It said:

"I'll do everything for you as long as you fight to live. Love Ye Rin"

It was a simple message yet he felt odd. He shrugged it off and slipped it back to the gift where he thought it came from.

When he was done, he turned off the lights and took the trash with him. He made sure to properly close the door and checked it twice if it was locked before going down the building.

Han Byul jolted from mild pain on her abdomen, she curled up on her bed. When the pain subsides she went out of her room to get herself a glass of water. It has been three hours since they all left and her place looked neat. She smiled and thought she owed Min Woo a thank you.

 

*   *   *

 

At the Myeong Hwa Medical Hospital, Han Byul has just got in the elevator when Min Woo spotted her.

It was the first time in a while that Min Woo have seen her visit the hospital he worked at. There were few times before when Han Byul visits him for lunch but it has been three months since she didn't ask him to eat together.

His face crinkled in confusion. "Why is she here?" He followed with his eyes where she supposedly came from, she came from Oncology Department. "Oncology, why?"

A call from a nurse snapped him out of his thoughts. He took another glance before he followed the nurse who called for him.

After his meeting with other doctors about a case, he came back to the nurse station and asked who was the oncologist that was in an hour ago.

"It's Dr. Song, Doc Lee." The nurse replied.

"Is she still in now?"

"Yes."

"Thanks," he replied short and then started his steps heading to Dr. Song's office.

He knocked and entered as soon as Dr. Song invited him in.

"Dr. Lee, what brings you here?" Dr. Song gestured him to sit down.

Min Woo took a deep breath. "Moon Han Byul," he started and Dr. Song's eyebrow flinched a bit. "Why was she here?"

"Why are you asking me that Dr. Lee?"

He very well know that a patient's condition, serious or not should never be disclosed, more so, to someone not related to the patient.

"I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't ask and I know you won't spill anything." He exhaled worriedly, "She's a very close friend, sunbae, can't you let it slide for once."

Dr. Song wasn't even surprised about what he said. Han Byul had already told her she knows someone who works in there. Han Byul also told her to never, —just in case Min Woo begged as a colleague, a friend, a younger brother to her— to never tell him a thing no matter what the circumstances may be.

"She has told you hasn't she, not to say anything even if I beg as your junior."

"I'm sorry Min Woo, even if she didn't, I wouldn't say a thing."

With both eyes closed, he nodded subtly. "At least tell me if I should worry?"

Dr. Song Chae Young just pressed a thin smile. "If she's that important to you, healthy or not, you'd always worry, whatever situation there is." She stood up from her seat, "Am I wrong Dr. Lee?"

Min Woo stood up from his seat as well, "I guess you have somewhere to go?" He asked, seeing how Chae Young took her coat and sling bag from the coat stand at the corner of her office.

 

*   *   *

 

Two weeks has passed since Min Woo saw Han Byul at the hospital. He got an invitation from Soo Jin.

"Oppa," Soo Jin raised her hand as she called for his attention. She was sitting on the corner table of the restaurant. She had a wide smile on her face.

He returned the same smile to her. "Soo Jin-ah, what's the occasion that you personally called me for a dinner?" He asked teasingly as he sat across from her.

She pursed her lips before she shyly responded. "It's the day of the month. Aren't you going to ask me something?"

Min Woo thought for a moment. It totally slipped from his mind. He was so busy finding out why Han Byul would visit an oncologist, whether it is for her or for someone she knows.

"Oppa, are you okay? You don't look like you're in your usual self."

"I'm sorry Soo Jin. I just had a lot to think about."

"Is this about Chae Young eonni's patient?"

Min Woo brushed his hand over his head with a dejected sigh. "I don't know what to feel."

"So it is indeed because of Han Byul. What will you do?"

"I'm sorry, I think I can't ask you the same question this time."

"Why?"

"I need to do something."

"For her?" He nodded. "Then can't you do it with me on your side?" She furrowed.

"I don't want to be selfish and hold you when I can't be with you."

"You aren't. You are totally selfless." She sneered. "Look how willing you are to let me go just to stay with someone you aren't even sure have a death sentence or not."

"I'm sorry." He looked down completely disheartened.

"You sure you won't regret this?" She asked but he didn't answer. "You're really willing to throw what we have come so far, for what? Uncertainty?" She sniggered as she hastily stood up. "Fool."

 

*   *   *

 

Few days later, Min Woo finally decided to open up his concerns to Han Byul.

"You finally showed up!" She let Min Woo in to her house. "About time don't you think? Now tell me, are you saying yes to me now or completely shatter my dreams to pieces?" She pried leaning her head close to his soon as he sat down next to her on the couch.

"Let's do it," he said plainly. "Let's get married."

Han Byul pulled her head back and sat straight, —still facing him, tilting her head on one side. "Why are you so serious all of a sudden? It's quite a scare. Did you get rejected again when you were so confident last time?"

Min Woo gave her a subtle smile. "Umm," he hummed softly, as if admitting. "I was completely dumped."

"You're lying." Her face was serious.

"Why? Don't you want to get married to me?"

She laughed nervously, "Who wouldn't? You are so perfect that anyone would want to keep you. Well, it might not be the case with Soo Jin eonni."

He remained silent with the mention of the woman he loves.

"What is it?" She asked seeing how he is acting unusual. Before she could even probe him with more questions, her phone beeped, catching her attention.

She grabbed her phone from the side table and read the message from Ye Rin:

"Byul, did you know Min Woo dumped Soo Jin? It happened three days ago. Unbelievable, what has gotten into him?"

She replied so soon:

"What? Where did you get that?"

Few seconds and she got a reply:

"From my cousin, her best friend! This ain't fake news."

She didn't reply and turned her attention back to the man sitting inches away from her. She could hear her phone beeping more but she chose to ignore it.

"Oppa, why?" She broke the silence.

He was just sitting while resting his head back. "What's why?"

Then she suddenly feared. Is it what she thought she was thinking? A little over two weeks ago, before the elevator door completely closed, she got a glimpse of Min Woo not too far from the nurse station when she went to visit her doctor.

"Is there something you want to ask me?" She finally gathered up the courage to ask him.

"Why?" He asked still his head leaning back on his seat. "Do you have something you want to say to me?"

She couldn't respond immediately so he lifted his head up and slowly turned to face her.

She looked like she was holding her jaws tight to prevent it from trembling, while he looked like he was feeling sorry of her.

"Tell me, I'm here to listen."

Her eyes begun to get watery but she managed to hold it in, preventing it from rolling down her cheeks. He was so hurt to see her holding her emotions when she could just let it out and allow herself to share her pain.

With the way she reacted he figured. The questions he had is now slowly being answered, not through words but through her emotions.

"What kind of doctor am I? What kind of friend am I?" He asked through gritted teeth. "What kind of oppa am I that you choose to hide it from me?"

Hearing the last words that gave clarification to her curiosity (about him knowing her condition), was enough to make herself loose control of her composure. Her tears slowly escaped from her eyes.

"Don't say that." She bowed her head down, avoiding his stare. "No one else knows except my family and Ye Rin. Ye Rin... she happened to know when she visited me and I had an episode of dizziness. She tended my needs and accidentally came across my medical results."

Min Woo asked what exactly her condition is, and she told him she was diagnosed with Hodgkin Lymphoma, and was on Stage 3. That was three and a half years ago. And that she completed her treatment a little over three years ago.

"How long do you have left?" He asked groggily.

She smiled bitterly yet with a touch of acceptance, "I don't know, probably a year or two? My body is stubborn enough to give up easily." She laughed softly, and it was painful to hear rather than comforting. "Not bad right?"

Unfortunately, even successful treatment doesn't guarantee a long life for patients like her.

"Not bad," he fake snorted, trying to be strong so she wouldn't feel more miserable.

There was silence for a moment before he brought up again, "So when are we going to get married?"

"Nah, it's not applicable to you now."

"Why?"

"Because you know my secret already." She stood up and went to her kitchen.

He shifted on his seat, "Why does it matter?"

"If I had to marry you because you were forced, then at least I'd die hoping you gave in to my plea because deep inside, you liked me. If not, then why would you marry someone you don't like?"

She turned to face him after her long explanation. She could see him totally bemused, and she chuckled.

"And?"

"And, if you marry me knowing I won't live long, then I'd die fully knowing you only pitied me. I can't," she crinkled her nose emphasizing can't. "I wouldn't mind being pathetic but, that's just too painful, even more painful than fooling myself that you, at least, liked me."

He looked like he doesn't know how to respond to that and he really didn't, and it wasn't a surprise to her.

Han Byul wheezed. "I know. I know I'm saying nonsense but at least its a less nonsense than being told your dying in five year tops, when you're only twenty three years old, halfway through your graduation, halfway to their said 'real world'." She rolled her eyes, trying to dismiss the memories of how painful it was the first time she got the news.

She went through in denial, and it took almost half a year before she learned to live with it. A month after her diagnoses she started her therapy, reason why she graduated one semester later than her friends. There were said to be side effect. Fearing she'd only live with another serious condition she tried to refuse therapy, but seeing how her family is so torn knowing she would suffer complications and would live much lesser without it, she decided to take the four months long therapy. She'd undergo losing her hair and the risk of developing another condition, if that meant gaining few years more with the ones she love.

Han Byul didn't like the gloomy atmosphere circulating around them and came up with a lame mood breaker. "Did you know, I wore a wig when I went back to school because my hair has just started growing back." She laughed as she went back to sit next to him, "I was so scared someone might accidentally ripped it off my head." She continued laughing a half-baked-laugh.

He, on the other hand just gave her a smile. "You were and still is, brave. Thank you for making it through."

She couldn't respond right away. She was overwhelmed with his words. She was happy to hear those words. "What's that. Aren't you being too touching." She softly laughed, trying to hold back her emotions.

He closed their distance and gave her a comforting hug. "It's okay, whatever it is that you feel right now, it's okay to show it." He patted her back gently and he could feel her tiny sobs that she was still trying to hold back.

"So that was the reason why you asked me if I'm off duty, to make sure you won't cross paths with me?" He asked after their emotional moment thirty minutes prior.

The mood has started to loosen up as they both sat from each end of the long couch, her body facing him with her legs crossed in front of her, while he was seating normally with his back on the wall.

She bobbed her head admitting.

"And the reason why you always ask me to have lunch together whenever we accidentally cross paths with each other at the hospital when I am on duty."

"You still remember that? That was three months ago."

He shook his head in disbelief, "You were so good at giving excuses, if only I didn't see you that day, I would still be oblivious of what's happening to you."

She hummed 'umm', acknowledging how good she was at finding a way out. "But why were you there? You said you were scheduled for a night shift. You lied?" She asked exasperatedly.

"I didn't!" He defended. "I was suddenly asked in for an important meeting."

 

*   *   *

 

Three months has passed s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter