Welcome back, Nurse Seungwan!

Dr. Heartthrob

"Dr. Heartthrob, paging Dr. Heartthrob," Seungwan turned to look at Yeri who was holding the mic for announcement. The girl then snickered as she put it back to its receiver with Nayeon hitting her arm as she laughed along.

 

"Yeri, shut up, the mic could pick up your voice and announce to the whole hospital how you're thirsting for Dr. Kang," Nayeon tried to reprimand the younger girl but there is a ghost of a smile in .

 

Though a little confused, Seungwan watched the exchange, amused. She missed her friends. Today is her first day back in RV General Hospital after being off duty for two months upon breaking her leg because of an accident. In two months, there had been significant changes in RV General.

 

A new wing is now open, that area which had been under construction before she had her leave. Also, some doctors and nurses had been promoted and left, and so a bunch of new nurses and doctors were hired. Which brings her to the new hot topic at the Nurses' Station. Apparently one new Doctor caught her friends' attention.

 

"Working hard or hardly working?" all of them turned to the Station window seeing one of the senior nurses, Jennie, who popped in the Nurse’s Station. "If you think you've had enough of gossiping and thirsting over the hot new doctor, please check out patient in Room 294, Dr. Bae already gave them the go signal to go home,"

 

"Hey! It was all Yeri!!" Naeyon complained before her accused hit her arm playfully.

 

Jennie rolled her eyes and walked away from the station.

 

"Don't let the Room 294 wait too long. Jennie will hear about it," Seungwan reminded as she turned to the service computer to continue her typing. "So who’s this Dr. Heartthrob you keep talking about?" she asked to no one in particular.

 

"Only the hottest doctor in RV Gen," Yeri said, the back of her hand on her forehead, swooning. "She's even hotter than Dr. Bae," she added, "Like, seriously. Dr. Bae is beautiful but Dr. Kang is..ugh!"

 

Shaking her head again, Seungwan laughed, "You say that to everyone, Yeri," she said, not taking her eyes off the task in hand.

 

Nayeon laughed, "Well, true," she said, "But Yeri's not exaggerating about Dr. Kang, you heard that even Jennie said she's hot," 

 

Yeri nodded enthusiastically, "I'd even gladly have a heart attack if she'd be the one who'll resuscitate me. Dr. Kang, please initiate CPR!" the younger girl exclaimed dramatically.

 

"Damn, Kim, you need to gat laid," Naeyon said laughing before finally stepping out.

 

"Alright, let me handle your formal-informal reorientation, Wan-ah," they all turned to Jennie who just got inside the Nurses' Station. The girl turned to Seungwan, "Listen, Seungwan and listen well,"

 

Seungwan turned her attention to Jennie who had a serious face, "Okay.." she said unsurely before gulping.

 

"Don’t worry, I'll formally introduce you to this Dr. Heartthrob—or should I say Dr. Kang Seulgi," Jennie said, Seungwan's brows met feeling that she has heard the name before, as the other girl continued talking, "—and yes, you guessed it right, she's from the famed family of doctors, although Dr. Seulgi is a bit edgier take of that charming intern last year Yeji—who is her cousin," she felt form an 'o' realizing the fact.

 

"Dr. Seulgi though, is specializing in cardiology," Nayeon—who suddenly popped her head through the window—said, "Therefore she’s a heart doctor thus, Dr. Heartthrob," she finished before turning to Jennie and saying, "The patient said they'll be checking out by the afternoon,"

 

"Oh, doctor!" Yeri exclaimed suddenly, "I’m having palpitations! You make me go tachycardiac!"

 

Nayeon laughed, "No, doctor, help me, I think my heart just stopped!"

 

"What's this, what's the commotion about?" they all turned to see someone enter the station.

 

"Eric!" Seungwan exclaimed, "Congratulations on your promotion!"

 

Said man smiled, "Thanks, Wan," he said as he handed her a bag of bags and packages of medications for their station's supply.

 

Seungwan took the medicines as she smiled at her friend, "How’s being the head of the Pharmacy?"

 

Eric rolled his eyes, "Too much work,"

 

This made her laugh out loud.

 

"Just say you're used to being babied that's why a little work is too much work for you!" Yeri cut in.

 

Ignoring Yeri, Eric walked closer to her, "I think you should stop hanging around these meanies," he mock-whispered.

 

"Hey! It's not our fault that RVGH keeps hiring attractive people!" Yeri exclaimed, putting a hand on her hip.

 

Eric was about to say something when the phone rang. Jennie immediately pushed the speaker button. "Hi, this is the Nurse’s Station, how can I help?" she greeted.

 

"I need my nurse," a voice said.

 

"I’ll send her right in," Jennie answered quickly then turned to Seungwan, "Room 214,"

 

This made Seungwan sigh. She hadn't been in for the whole day but she already figured that patient in Room 214 is one of those needy and annoying patients. "Excuse me," she said as she rose from her seat.

 

"Just call in if you need help, Wan," Jennie called.

 

Seungwan smiled, "Will do,"

 

It wasn’t long after when all of them became swamped on the everyday duties as a nurse. RV General Hospital is one of those private hospitals that has almost 1:3 Nurse-Patient ratio, so every nurse has this beeper where their patient can beep if ever they need anything.

 

The day was not slow, there had been call after call and no one even had the time to sit before another patient was beeping for assistance.

 

"Seungwan, your patient in the isolation room is due for a gauze change in ten minutes but he keeps ringing the station since five minutes ago," Naeyon called from the room intercom. "Should I come for him?"

 

She pushed the 'speak' button, "No, no need, Naeyon, I'm just about done with Mr. Park. I promise, I’ll be right there!" she answered as she tried to wrap up this patient.

 

And just as she promised, Seungwan found herself scrubbing in for the isolation room two minutes after the intercom message. Jennie also told her that she should get down at the station in fifteen minutes because the new doctors will be giving a small team debriefing before most of thrm clock out.

 

Truthfully, the task should not really be lengthy since it's just reapplying new gauze for the patient. And really, she was about done but the pressure of the continuous beeping was making her lose focus.

 

*beep* *beep* *beep*

 

"Do you even know what you’re doing, you stupid nurse?!" her patient spat, "Ow!"

 

"Y-yes sir, if you could just hold sti--"

 

*beep* *beep* *beep*

 

Dammit, why do people keep ringing when I’m in the isolation room?! she thought as she felt drops of sweat forming on her forehead. The task proves to be difficult as this overweight patient can’t keep still while she tried to wrap up his burned leg. She was really finding it hard to lift his leg as she dresses it.

 

"Seungwan," she heard Jennie's voice, this time from behind her, "Dr. Kang is waiting to talk to you. She has new test orders for your patients,"

 

"I'm really sorry, Jennie," she said, voice restrained as she lifted the patient’s leg yet again. "I just—need a few—more—minutes," she struggled finishing.

 

"Okay..but just so you know: Dr. Kang actually wanted to give those to you on the team briefing earlier but you already missed it. Don't worry, I told them that you're stuck attending to a patient. She said earlier that she'd be come back to personally give them to you—so that's the now. You know, I think she just wanted to meet you, since, you know, we are all in the same team and you two haven't formally met." Jennie said, in an our-boss-is-not-an--so-please-don't-piss-her-off kind of way, "So hurry up, she's actually waiting for you again since like five minutes ago. I think she wanted to meet you before she clock out today,"

 

°°°

 

Once Seungwan finished wrapping the patient up (about 15 more minutes later), she immediately moved to get out of the isolation room and quickly peeled off the isolation gown and gloves and hurriedly washed her hands thoroughly.

 

When Jennie said that Dr. Kang is waiting for her before she clocked out for the day, she wanted to jump to meet the doctor. She knew every doctor's time is precious and she felt a little guilty knowing she'd been wasting the doctor's time. But well, patients come first, even how stubborn or difficult they are, they come first. Surely, this Dr. Heartthrob thought the same, right?

 

Fast-walking back to the Nurse's Station, she instantly noticed the back of a woman in a white lab coat, her dark hair in a high messy bun, standing in front of their work area.

 

She was still several steps away but she can hear the woman's fuming voice, "Where the hell is that nurse? I can’t stay here waiting for her the whole day!"

 

"She’s already on her way, Dr. Kang," Jennie said soothingly before her eyes brightened as they landed on the frantic Seungwan rushing in. "And there she is now!" she said as she pointed at her.

 

Dr. Kang then motioned to turn to her. The cold look on her face was enough to make Seungwan’s heart constrict in nervousness as she froze in her tracks. "Finally!" the doctor said, sounding very sarcastic and annoyed.

 

However, Seungwan is still deciding what could be the reason why she was feeling like a whole zoo is rioting inside her. Is it because she didn't want to make a bad impression to her superior? Or perhaps it's because of her long-declared weakness for pretty girls and she was not at all prepared seeing that Dr. Kang looked unbelievably gorgeous?

 

Whatever the cause of this nervousness, Seungwan decided to swallow it down and think about it later. She breathe in before mustering the courage. She exhaled as she looked directly on the doctor's eyes before starting her greeting. "Hello, Dr. Heartthrob, I don’t think we have been formally introduced, I’m Nurse Son Seungwan. It’s nice to meet you. Please forgive me for being late, I’ve been stuck with the patient in the isolation room doing wound dressing. I’m ready for you orders, Doc," she said as she stuck out her hand.

 

The doctor only looked at her incredulously at her with an eyebrow raised. Seungwan absently thought how pretty the doctor is without the annoyed look. In fact, the doctor kind of look like a bear. A cute bear. Realizing that few moments passed and silence still lingered, she tilted her head still looking at the doctor's face, wordlessly saying her confusion.

 

As her eyes stayed glued on the doctor's face, Seungwan absently thought how fitting the nickname her friends came up (aside from being a cardiologist). The doctor looked handsome yet gorgeous, it's unfair! The strong jawline, the sharp monolid eyes those pretty kissable lips!

 

It was only a few beats later when she noticed that her greeting was still answered with silence, she scrunched her brows this time to let the doctor know her unvoiced question (she is a bit annoyed but she knew she has got to have patience, this is her fault, after all). She turned to her friends at the Nurse’s Station but they’re all looking at her, their mouths hanging a bit open, their eyes are on her like she’s some kind of ghost—wide with disbelief.

 

Yeri suddenly choked on her spit interrupting the awkward and thick silence.

 

"Excuse me?" Dr. Kang finally said, "What did you just say?"

 

Confused, but not wanting to further anger the annoyed doctor, Seungwan extended her hand for the introduction and opened to slowly say, "Hi, Dr. Heartthrob, it's a pleasure to meet you, I'm—" her eyes went wide as color escaped her face before all the blood rushed back giving tomatoes a run for their money. She pulled out her hand, suddenly wanting the Earth to swallow her alive.

 

An obviously fake cough was heard from the Nurse’s Station.

 

"I mean D-Doctor Kang!" she stuttered, "Dr. Kang! I’m sorry! Oh God, I’m so sorry! That was s-so unpro—unprofessional!" Seungwan stuttered in mortification, "I’m so sorry!! P-please forgive me!" she said, clapping her palms together as she bowed her head.

 

Seungwan saw from her peripherals that the doctor in question crossed her arms, "Dr. Heartthrob, huh?" she said nonchalantly, the poor nurse peeked to see the look on the doctor's face and what she saw is a hint of a smirk playing at the corner of , but her eyes sparked something mischievous.

 

Oh, sweet baby Jesus, if Seungwan didn't think Dr. Heartthrob couldn't get anymore gorgeous, she was wrong. So wrong. Because that smug smirk on her lips are dangerously fatal for her poor (and very gay) heart.

 

Before she could react though, everything went black.

 

°°°

 

The next thing Seungwan saw when she opened her eyes is Dr. Kang's flawless face looming over her. Sweet mother of God, she thought, she’s gorgeous. She could feel the doctor's soft fingers on her skin by her neck as she checked her pulse. Too close..

 

"Heart rate stable, respiration is unlabored," Dr. Kang called out almost mechanically to probably Jennie or Naeyon. When dark pupils met her hazel orbs, she felt her heart skip a beat when the doctor grinned and leaned closer to her and whispering, "I hope you’re a full code, nurse." she said making Seungwan feel she’s having an actual heart attack, "..because I couldn’t help but start resuscitations,"

 

Seungwan felt her blood rushing to her head once again before her eyes rolled back and everything went black. Again.