Fin

Kismet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A woman was running late for her class because her alarm clock broke and forgot to take her umbrella with her as she waltz out of her small but cozy apartment. She didn't knew it was going to rain in the afternoon and just as she was about to hail a cab a man, whose vision is blurry due to crying because he just broke up with his girlfriend, bumped into the woman making her things fall unto the ground thus giving way for a senior citizen to get in that empty cab before the rain fell so hard it got the woman sick the following day which in result, having to move her class that day.

 

That woman was Hirai Momo's instructor for her summer workshop and that 'other day' was Momo's schedule for her part time job at Park Jihyo's Cafe located at the heart of the city, not to mention it's a weekday meaning there are a lot of customers, a lot of customers would require a lot of workers and Jihyo has done nothing but good to the japanese girl and that's why she called her oldest friend, a young-looking bunny law student to sub for her, her name was Im Nayeon.

 

 

Now, Im Nayeon knew how important Momo's workshops are and that's why she always helps her in ways that she can, including the substitution. It's not new to the older girl since she also part-time's in Jihyo's Cafe, just in different time frame. 

 

 

So! If only Momo's intructor's alarm clock hadn't broke, then she would've gotten earlier and prepared the things she needed including the umbrella and if only that man hadn't broken up with her girfriend then maybe he hadn't bumped into Momo's intructor, she could've gotten in that cab before that old woman can then maybe she wouldn't of have gotten sick, she wouldn't have to move her classes and Momo wouldn't have to call for Nayeon's help then maybe just maybe Nayeon wouldn't have to listen to Jihyo's scolding this early in the morning.

 

 

"Nayeon how many times do I have to tell you? Customers are always right! We have to bite back our tongue and nod even if the situation is in our favor. This has been our Cafe's motto ever since my grandmother's grandmother started this business. It's what kept it going."

 

 

"But wait, you're the manager, not the customer so you're not necessarily right about that then?" 

 

 

Jihyo, the manager and daughter of the owner, pulled Nayeon's hair which earned her a slap on the hand in return. 

 

 

"Oww! Be careful! You're ruining my goddess features!" 

 

 

Jihyo just rolled her eyes and crossed her arms, "Listen, this is your 4th sub and might be the final one since Momo's workshop finally end in 3 days so please, please just set aside your Lawyer spirit and just...just be normal." 

 

 

Nayeon huffed as she put on the Cafe's light brown apron, "I can't help it. Ignorance won't save them from the law." 

 

 

"Whatever. If you manage to get out of that door without a single complain then you have 3 days free with pay." 

 

 

Now that lit up Nayeon's eyes as she hooked her arm on Jihyo's, "I knew it! You're in love with me!"

 

 

Jihyo didn't hesitate to push Nayeon's face away as she made her way towards the cashier yelling, "I wholeheartedly despise you, Momo's my favorite! Why'd you think I'd let her take this many subs?" 

 

 

"That's mean! I'm the one working my off for her!" 

 

 

Despite the boss and employee relationship, Nayeon, Jihyo and Momo had a more deep bond than just that. The three were best of friends ever since high school days, Jihyo and Nayeon majored in business while Momo was in arts, together they graduated college. 

 

 

Momo continued to attend seminars and workshops to hone her skill in dancing before going International or building a studio. Jihyo took over one of her parents' Cafe where Nayeon and Momo works part-time then there's Nayeon, a haggard Law student who strives to stay awake, reading case after case. 

 

 

"Hey, Nayeon, would you mind taking this to table 9? We're short on waitresses right now and I was supposed to serve them but I hurt my ankle just now, I don't think I can walk properly. I might spill these." Her co-worker, Jisoo asked with an apologetic smile on her face. 

 

 

"No problem. You should sit down for a sec Jisoo, that's going to strain your feet more. Hey, Yujin! Mind taking the money for a sec?"

 

 

As Nayeon prepared table 9's order, she had no idea of what's to come to her.

 

 

Meanwhile a tofu was getting stressed at her companions. If only she knew it would result to this, she wouldn't of have agreed meeting with them.

 

 

"You're too young for Dahyun, how the hell can you take care of her if you're still inexperienced with things?"

 

 

"Oh I can take care of her in ways you can't, oldie."

 

 

"We both know Dahyun's going to choose me. She got me a shiba inu stuff toy from that claw machine, she wouldn't make an effort to do so if she didn't love me."

 

 

Dahyun can still remember that time when the three are in the arcade and the japanese girl kept on bugging her to get that stuff for her. 

 

 

Result: All of Dahyun's coins is peacefully resting inside that machine.

 

 

"Ha. That's pure luck dumbo. Dahyun won me Yoda stuffy from that dart game. It takes focus and precision to do so."

 

 

Dahyun also remembered that time when the three are in a carnival and the taiwanese girl can't keep her eyes off the big yoda stuff toy resulting to Dahyun competing with 2 others for that thing.

 

 

Result: Dahyun spent all her month's allowance just to win it. 

 

 

 

 

 

"Japanese language is closer to Korean, Dahyun can easily adapt it once we get married. Mandarin on the other hand, oh~ I doubt Dahyun has any interest in it."

 

 

 

 

The taiwanese beauty raised a brow at that and Dahyun knew things are about to go down.

 

 

"You can't take care . You're dependent and you wouldn't make a good wife too. How is it possible to change an egg's color from yellow to black? It's the only thing you're good at to be honest."

 

 

With that a gasp can be heard from the japanese visual, "You did not!"

 

 

"I did." 

 

 

"We both know how Dahyun is so attentive to me."

 

 

"That's because you're a clumsy . Dahyun's definitely going to ask for my heart sooner or later. I just know she has a soft spot for me."

 

 

"Soft spot my . You're just threatening her."

 

 

Minatozaki Sana, current owner of the Minatozaki Group then there's Chou Tzuyu, heir of the Chou Empire, sitting in on one of Seoul's ordinary go-to Cafe, battling for the position of Kim Dahyun's girlfriend (she wasn't looking for any)

 

 

"She's definitely choosing me. Am I right, Dahyun?" The two said, or asked at the same time. 

 

 

And Dahyun can only scratch her head out of frustration, both women are important to her but no one really crossed that line between friend love and love love. She was about to say something when a vanilla scent greeted her olfactory nerves making her turn her attention to the waitress serving them.

 

 

"Here are your orders Maam." 

 

 

It was Nayeon and she was busy transferring their orders on the table when Dahyun had a silly idea on mind.

 

 

"I—I'm sorry ladies but I'm already taken."

 

 

"WHAT?!" 

 

 

Thanks to Dahyun's eagle eyes she was able to spot Nayeon's tag and use it to her advantages. Dahyun is sorry for this but as the waitress denies it plus Sana and Tzuyu making a scene, she would then escape and flee out of South Korea then live somewhere in the Philippines. 

 

 

Dahyun leaned back on the chair with a charming smile on her face, "Ladies, meet Nayeon, my girlfriend."

 

 

Sana and Tzuyu literally spit out their drinks upon hearing that while the girl in subject has her mind floating on that specific case she's studying. 

 

 

Forensic science is taking an interest on her, Nayeon could go on forever debating why Forensic Science is way better than anything else but then again she's a bit biased in that part. If it weren't for that idiot neighbor of hers who said that South Korea doesn't need Forensic Science to solve justice then maybe she wouldn't of have to study and be fascinated about it. 

 

 

Then there's this sample case about a serial killer who forced his victim to write a last will and testament on a piece of paper before contacting the parents saying a letter will arrive soon. Through the power of forensic science, police were able to determine where and who that killer was and it's only because of that piece of paper that they were able to trace previous writings and get some clues. 

 

 

Speaking of previous writings, Nayeon wondered where she placed her case papers. She could only pray it's not within Seunghee's reach. Nayeon would be damned damn. 

 

 

Nayeon's mind was about to drift somewhere else when the orange-haired girl in front of her leaned in with the most surprised face she's ever seen.

 

 

"Is that right?" 

 

 

What was right? Oh no Nayeon's not listening. She's way too immersed in that documentary she watche that she forgot she's serving table 9! And as if on cue, Jihyo's voice passed by her mind. 

 

 

"... customers are always right...."

 

"... customers are always right...."

 

"... customers are always right...."

 

 

Nayeon wanted that 3 day free with pay so much she was willing to bite back her tongue and so with the most affirmative tone she can muster Nayeon said, "Yes Maam, you're right."

 

 

Perfect! Nayeon mentally said, finishing off a proud smile as she did. Why not? She's proud of herself. 

 

 

Dahyun, who was ready to stand up and escape, widened her eyes at Nayeon's answer 

 

 

Now that.... wasn't part of her plan.

 

~~~~

 

"Hey there girlfriend, how come you're not serving?" 

 

 

It's been 12 days since the incident. Dahyun grabbed Nayeon's wrist and excused themselves before Sana and Tzuyu can even react. It was a tough conversation because the two wasn't really in the same frequency, Nayeon was pushing her Jihyo's customer-is-always-right agenda and Dahyun kept on asking her why she said yes and when Nayeon got irritated and exploded, that's when the older girl caught Dahyun's interest.

 

 

"Why are you so against me saying yes to a customer? It's just a simple yes!" 

"You said yes to being my girlfriend!"

 

 

 

Nayeon was damned damn. 

 

 

"Stop calling me your girlfriend. I told you It's a misunderstanding." Nayeon said through her teeth as she smiled at a customer. 

 

 

Ever since that day, Park Jihyo gained a regular customer who claimed a table near the cashier where she can clearly see her girlfriend working. 

 

 

"That's a shame because Sana and Tzuyu already bought it and is now probably planning for your accidental death." Dahyun casually said as she sipped her frappe.

 

 

"Wait what?!"

 

 

Dahyun laughed, "Chill! I'm just kidding. You look cute girlfriend, I hope you don't mind me teasing you. It always makes my day brighter."

 

 

"Oh I do mind very much, not only you're being creepy, you're also disturbing me in my work. You know I could put you in prison for this." 

 

 

Again, Dahyun can't help but be amused, "I don't think it's possible though. I didn't harmed you, threatened you, stalked you, or anything. I'm just a customer simply enjoying the view." 

 

 

"Well you're making me uncomfortable!" By this time, Nayeon had already turned to Dahyun with her hands on her hips. 

 

 

But instead of getting discouraged, Dahyun smiled even wider, goofier, "What kind of uncomfortability?" She asked, wiggling her eyebrows.

 

 

"Stop that! The fact that you're disturbing my peace can really get you arrested." Nayeon spat, raising a brow at the end of her sentence.

 

 

"Hmmm Seoul doesn't have annoyance law though? And even if there is, don't you think it's a bit..I don't know unimportant for a formal case to occur?" 

 

 

"Yah, what do you know? You're just a kid—"

 

 

"Ad hominem!" Dahyun points at her with a teasing grin on her face.

 

 

Nayeon narrowed her gaze at the tofu, she's smart she thought. 

 

 

Then she remembered Jihyo's oh-so wise words again and so she averted her attention back to the cashier when a customer came up. 

 

 

"Customers are always right?" Dahyun read out loud referring to the big designed sign just above the counter. 

 

 

"Thank you for your order." 

 

 

Dahyun turned to her with a yet again amused smile, "So that is why you said yes!"

 

 

"A cheesecake, group mojos, 2 mango fruit tea and an avocado shake. Is that all Maam?" 

 

 

"That's too bad! I've always thought you liked me at first glance that's why you said yes." The tofu blew on her drink, trying tot get Nayeon's attention once again.

 

 

"Yes Maam all grande size are unavailable still you can try our baby j bottle! It comes with free mallows."

 

 

"I can't believe you agreed with that phrase. It's so wrong. I mean I'm a consumer myself but there are limitations as to what and how we should act around others regardless of what I am." Dahyun continues.

 

 

Nayeon has finished punching in orders when Chaewon poked her shoulder telling her her shift is up and that Chaewon's taking over.

 

 

"See you girlfriend!" The tofu yelled, already standing as Nayeon was about to push the door leading to the kitchen. 

 

 

The older stopped for a moment to glare at the smiling tofu and that's just about it. 

 

~ ~ ~ 

"Welcome to—Oh you again."

 

 

Nayeon had dropped her employee facade when she saw the girl in front of her wearing a plain yellow shirt tucked into a black baggy cotton pants paired with an off-white slip-on. 2 months of bugging her made Nayeon, at least, appreciate the girl's style, concluding that the her house is not that far away from the Cafe. 

 

 

"Yes and only because I think you missed me that's why I'm here to brighten up your day." 

 

 

"Well think again." 

 

 

Dahyun clenched her heart as she faked an expression while the older girl just sighed, "I need yo—"

 

 

"I knew it! You need me! Don't worry girlfriend for I am here!" 

 

 

"—ur order or else you can go." Nayeon finished with an unbothered look.

 

 

Dahyun clicked her tongue as she leaned on the counter, "Well then, Can I get an Im Nayeon's attention please? Extra large." She winked.

 

 

"Unavailable. You may come back tomorrow or any other time, maybe the other cashiers will be able to accommodate you." Nayeon blatantly said. 

 

 

Dahyun can only pout as she ordered her usual before settling down on her designated table, continuing her weekly agenda. 

 

 

"Hey Nayeon! Can you bring this to table 3 please? The fryer broke and Woojin's fixing it." Jihyo said with her head peeking out from the Kitchen door. 

 

 

Nayeon looked at table 3 where Dahyun is sitting and when their gaze matched, the tofu waved at her with a very big smile on her face. 

 

 

"Can't you just ask someone else? I really really really don't lke that one." Nayeon turned back to Jihyo and sighed.

 

 

However her manager slash friend didn't listened to her (as always) and placed the tray on the counter, tapping the sign as the thomas went back to her work.

 

 

"Ugh!"

 

 

Of course she had no other choice but to serve.

 

 

"There." 

 

 

"Oh-ho-ho~ this must be fate my girlfriend! For you to serve me my chocolate delight, it's indeed fate!" 

 

 

Nayeon rolled her eyes and pressed the tray unto her abdomen after giving Dahyun her order, "Why are you even here? Don't you have classes kid?" 

 

 

Dahyun took a sip on her drink before turning to Nayeon still in with that goofy smile of hers, "I do have classes, it's stressing me out but this is my relax zone and you give me peace of mind." 

 

 

"Well you don't, now please stop pestering me. It's been months, I'm starting to get nightmares of your face." 

 

 

"You dreamt of me! Aaaa~ my girlfriend that's also a sign." 

 

 

It took Nayeon all her strength to restrict herself from slapping Dahyun with the tray on hwr hands, truthfully she never imagined herself being a violent one until this creature came in her life. 

 

 

"It sure is a sign for you to change Cafes." 

 

 

"I never fathomed hearing someone shoo a customer from their own Cafe would look hot."

 

 

Nayeon let out a frustrated yell and just as she was about to march back to her station the Cafe doors opened revealing an elegant expensive tall girl roaming her eyes around the Cafe, in search for someone. 

 

 

"Crap!"

 

 

Dahyun hid under the table, grabbing Nayeon's apron to further shield herself from Tzuyu's view. 

 

 

"Hey what are yo—stop—my—"

 

 

"It's you."

 

 

Tzuyu was already in front of Nayeon, looking at her from head to toe as if she's examining her entire existence.

 

 

"You're her girlfriend." Tzuyu repeated.

 

 

Nayeon didn't like the way Tzuyu looks at her nor the way she talks to her and that's why Nayeon matched her gaze and raised a brow.

 

 

"Then?"

 

 

Nayeon felt victorious when a slight irritation passed across Tzuyu's face.

 

 

"Nothing, I just want you to tell me where she is." 

 

 

What a . The fact that Tzuyu already knows Nayeon is the girlfriend and yet still demands for Dahyun. Oh, this girl is getting into Nayeon's nerves. 

 

 

Wait this could actually be a great time to get revenge on Dahyun for her constant bother but then again, she didn't really liked this girl in front of her. 

 

 

"I don't know where she is and if I did know I'd still not tell you." 

 

 

Tzuyu's breath hitched. Nayeon knew better than allowing her self get stomped on by some spoiled brat. Fortunately, the taiwanese left without further questions making Dahyun exhale heavily.

 

 

"I was so scared! Oh god, but then again—" 

 

 

"Wipe that smirk off of your stupid face."

 

~ ~ ~ 

 

"I'll take this seat." 

 

 

"That's off limits."

 

 

"Then I'll take you instead."

 

 

"I'm taken."

 

 

Currently Nayeon is at the Cafe not as a cashier but as a customer. Normally she'd study at home in her room but her spoiled step-sister threw a freaking party in their house. Nayeon can't concentrate and yet she needed to prepare for her recit tomorrow, it's very important and she can't afford any more distractions. 

 

 

"How about—"

 

 

"Will you shut up?!"

 

 

Nayeon was lucky it's past 7pm and that Jihyo implemented the Half-Capacity rule once it strikes 6:30 PM. No one really saw or cared when she snapped at Dahyun and her co-worker Minju who's taking their order.

 

 

"Oh—Minju, I'm sorry. I didn't know—"

 

 

She wasn't able to finish her sentence when Dahyun stood up and carefully fixed the older's things before dragging her out the Cafe where she saw her best friend getting out of the car. 

 

 

"Dubs! Here you are, why did you—"

 

 

"Chae perfect timing. Let me borrow your car a bit, take a cab home I'll return this tomorrow." 

 

 

Dahyun didn't gave her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter