part two

fell into bliss, so it’s heaven on earth

            It shouldn’t come as a surprise that the gossip train and rumor mill embarked at the speed of light. Word of mouth spread like wildfire, especially in a high school setting. Vague social media posts or omitted names appeared one by one. Once one person posted, everyone else did, riding on the temporary excitement of what was the gossip for that day, week, or month.

            Today’s gossip was regarding Bae Irene and Kim Stella.

            It was inevitable that there would be inaccuracy when it came to the game of telephone to spread the rumor. All sorts of things were said.

            Irene cheated on Stella.

            Stella cheated on Irene.

            Irene was wasted at a party and made out with a random person.

            Stella thought Irene was completely inexperienced in bed.

            Irene and Stella never liked each other to begin with.

            It was a bet from the start.

            And the kicker—

            They lost feelings for each other and mutually decided to break it off.

            Shocking.

            No way it could be that civilized.

            Irene tried to not let these false speculations faze her in any way. Walking down the hallways to get to classes, roaming about on campus, or even just working with other members in student council sent her odd glances and tensed double takes.

            Irene was no stranger to receiving numerous of stares, but this time around it was unsettling. She was one of the two main targets for this week’s so-called spicy rumor. And given the fact that Irene and Stella were respected in their own fields and were well known among the student body, their situation might as well be talked about for the entire month.

            Irene hated this.

            Why did other students find entertainment in their own personal situations?

            It was like they were idolized, like other teenagers their own age had nothing better to do.

            Even then, Irene still chose to not fulfill their entertainment.

            She paced to and from without a word and only spoke when necessary. Nobody needed to know her business, so the least she could do as of right now was to make sure that it didn’t get out of hand and reach a dark hole of ridiculous assumptions.

            Wendy and Solar might be able to assist in this matter – they were more respected by other students than Irene was.

**

            Irene and Stella started dating each other at the beginning of the spring semester of their junior year. Since they were a part of the same graduating class, they knew each other well. Stella took notice of her first, admiring the elegant aura surrounding Irene. She loved how mature Irene already was despite living in the age of immaturity. It was the way she spoke so eloquently in class during debates or when giving speeches at assemblies that caught Stella’s attention. Stella would have been more surprised at herself if she didn’t fall in love with Irene.

            Because almost everyone did.

            It wasn’t hard to like Irene, someone who was always kind, friendly, and treated others well. And on top of all of that, she was extremely stunning, took part in school activities, and coursed through school without much difficulty. She basically had it all together already at the age of seventeen.

            So, yes, it also wasn’t a surprise to know that Irene dated around because she was wanted. She wasn’t opposed to the idea of being in a relationship with other students – some she had taken a liking to.

            What was surprising, however, was that she didn’t seem to stay committed. At least, not until Stella.

            Stella was her longest relationship yet. But…it didn’t seem any different.

            To Irene, Stella wasn’t any different than any other previous relationship she had.

            The reason she stayed with her?

            Well, she had no concrete answer.

            Irene guessed it was because Stella was comfortable – not to mention that they were good friends for months first before the next step was taken.

            There might have been butterflies fluttering about in her stomach initially, but it was short-lived. To stretch out their relationship to this day was the most challenging part.

            Irene also guessed that it might be because she didn’t like the idea of being alone. It explained how busy she was. After school she would take part in student council duties, join any study group for any of her classes, and be with whoever her significant other was at the time.

            But a small part of the void still lived within her.

            She dated and dated and dated.

            Hoping to fill that void.

            She always helped out the student council president after school.

            Hoping to fill that void.

            She attempted at strengthening her relationship with her family.

            Hoping to fill that void.

            But…

            It was the same.

            Irene stopped trying to figure it out when she was with Stella. It was tiring. Wondering what it was. Wondering why she still felt kind of empty.

            Everything in her life was just…decent. Just normal.

            Nothing out of the ordinary.

            Nothing too stressful.

            So, why was she feeling like this?

            Why couldn’t she figure it out?

**

            Over the weekend, Irene spent her nights with Stella. The past month of preparing for the homecoming rally and coming up with the theme, budget, and decorations for the homecoming dance took up most of her time. Despite not feeling much for Stella anymore, she still felt bad for neglecting her girlfriend and wanted to make it up to her.

            Irene laid in her bed quietly with Stella on the other side. The track athlete was scrolling through her phone, giggling every now and then at short clips she watched on Twitter and on Instagram.

            “Hey, look at this. It’s so cute,” Stella would say after every other video.

            Irene forced her reactions to what she saw fit.

            It wasn’t until the fifth time Stella tried to get a reaction out of Irene did she finally notice it wasn’t as genuine as she liked.

            “Everything okay?” she asked, turning off her phone and putting it to the side.

            Thinking that it was because she wasn’t giving her girlfriend enough attention, she pulled Irene into her body, embracing her gently. Irene found herself curling into the side of Stella’s body, mind still in a blur.

            “Yeah,” she muttered. “Just thinking about homecoming.”

            Stella hummed and threaded her fingers through Irene’s soft hair, untangling a few knots here and there.

            “Everything going smoothly?”

            “Just about,” Irene replied. “Nothing that we can’t deal with.”

            “That’s good to hear.” Stella leaned down to press a kiss into Irene’s hair, closing her eyes as she took a whiff of her girlfriend’s invigorating smell. “You’ve been working so hard.”

            “Do you want to go?” Irene mumbled into Stella’s shirt.

            “Hm?”

            Irene lifted her head from Stella’s chest. She felt so neutral when staring at her girlfriend. Felt like this for quite some time now. Maybe…maybe Irene should do something about this. Prolonging this relationship wasn’t going to do them any good and knowing how much effort Stella puts into their relationship and how passionate she could be when it came to things she loved, Irene felt bad.

            She couldn’t return half the effort anymore.

            “Do you want to go to homecoming with me?” Irene asked.

            Though, she already knew Stella didn’t want to. The athlete disliked school activities. She thought it was boring. She thought it was a waste of time. The only things she liked was track and field and Irene. That was it.

            Stella started to laugh out of amusement. “You already know that I don’t like school dances, Irene. Why ask me to go?”

            Irene averted her gaze elsewhere inside her room.

            “Well, because you’re my girlfriend.”

            “I didn’t go to prom with you last time and you were fine with it. What makes homecoming any different?” Stella sat up to try and catch Irene’s fleeting gaze. Being the more affectionate half in the relationship, she started to brush Irene’s stray hairs aside, tucking them behind an ear. “I’m sure you’ll have a great time there without me.”

            Irene tried to not make it audible, but she relieved a tensed sigh. She turned to finally look back at Stella, who was adorably smiling at her and staring at her with so much affection.

            Irene grimaced – she couldn’t match it.

            Even as Stella leaned forward to plant a sweet and chaste kiss on her lips, Irene still couldn’t match it.

            Before Stella could go any further, Irene turned her cheek, feeling her girlfriend’s lips brush against the fair skin.

            “Let’s break up.”

            “W-What?”

            “…Let’s break up.”

            Stella started to laugh. “Break up? Is it because I’m not going to homecoming with you? Irene baby…”

            “That’s not it.”

            “What…do you mean, then?”

            The least Irene could do was look at Stella as she said the next few words. One of the reasons why Stella fell in love with Irene was because of her sincerity. Irene rarely had any reason to lie to her. Maybe to make up an excuse for a surprise, but all other times Irene always stated the truth.

            Her eyes helped.

            Beautiful, sincere eyes.

            If words were lies, Irene’s eyes weren’t.

            “I…don’t like you anymore.”

            The amount of pain and shock coursing through Stella’s body was something Irene could only imagine. The words held magnificent weight, but Irene would never know how much. Irene would never know how much her words hurt her partners when she initiated break ups, she would never know how painful the heartache would be afterwards. What she did know, though, was the look in their eyes.

            The crestfallen expression, saddened gaze, furrowed brows.

            Then, the quiver of lips, tears streaming down, and faces that would turn away because they couldn’t bear to look at the one they loved so much anymore.

            “Y-You don’t like me anymore?” Stella had to repeat. She had to make sure she heard correctly. When she saw Irene nod, she swallowed the uncomfortable lump in . “For how long now?”

            “…I don’t know.”

            “I don’t understand. How do you not know when you stopped liking me?”

            When Irene didn’t answer right away, Stella bit down on her bottom lip.

            “Better yet, why didn’t you say anything when you noticed at first?”

            Irene blinked slowly. It must be infuriating to Stella to see such a neutral expression. To see so much indifference as she spewed out hurtful words and knowing how much it would hurt to hear it.

            “So recently, the times we went out on dates, hug, make out, or just simply spend time together didn’t mean anything to you anymore?” Stella spat out through gritted teeth. “You’re telling me that when I brought you gifts, flowers, or anything as a surprise was when you didn’t like me anymore?”

            “I…know it was hard to hear, but—”

            “No!” Stella yelled. She jumped out of the bed, shocking Irene in the middle of her action. “You don’t get to say that! You knew…you knew…for so long, for so short, who knows because even you don’t know, but… Irene…? I just… I just don’t understand. I thought what we had with each other was special. I actually thought we would continue to date each other when we went to our first choices. Eight months, Irene…”

            “Stella,” Irene started as firmly as she could, “I simply do not like you anymore and we will break up. I don’t know what else to tell you.”

            “An explanation!”

            “There is no other explanation!” Irene raised her voice. Stella’s eyes stung when she saw indifference morph into frustration. “What else do you want me to say, Stella? I lost feelings for you. You’re not the one for me. Why are you taking this so hard? I didn’t cheat on you nor did I find myself liking anyone else. Can’t you just accept that I don’t like you anymore in a romantic sense?”

            It was just a relationship in high school, Irene thought. Almost all relationships in high school would turn out like this. Especially when they were dating someone like Irene who always felt empty.

            Stella didn’t respond for a good moment. Her eyes burned as she continued to look at Irene, tracing her facial features for any other sign. How could her girlfriend wield her words like daggers so easily? How could she drop eight months of affection down into the drain in just mere minutes?

            Irene knew when Stella became quiet was when she molded into her thoughts. This, evidently, was too much for the athlete. But Irene stood firm with her decision, if it was any indication by how she remained seated on her bed, arms crossed, and brows furrowed.

            “You’re a terrible person, Irene,” Stella finally uttered.

            She grabbed her backpack at the foot of Irene’s bed and marched out of her now ex-girlfriend’s bedroom, stomping down the stairs. Irene didn’t chase after her. Stella obviously knew her way out after being here one too many times, but also Irene chasing after Stella would spark a small bit of hope for the latter.

            The front door slammed shut and Irene finally closed her eyes, breathing in and out deeply to get rid of the tension in her body.

            She still felt empty.

            But at least she knew that Stella wasn’t meant to help her feel whole.

**

            Irene did not say one word about Stella and their relationship once Monday came around, so she knew the track athlete was the one who sputtered some words. It could have been out of spite, it could have been for the reason that Irene actually stated, but one thing the latter knew for certain was that Stella was no longer a comfortable force anymore.

            “Decorations committee, how is it coming along with gathering all the materials for the dance?”

            Silence.

            Irene sat deep in thought in the student council room, mind muddled with how students stared at her and the remnants of the night she broke up with Stella. It shouldn’t bother her, but it did. She knew she could have handled it differently, but with someone like Stella, it had to be straight to the point. She couldn’t sugarcoat it. She couldn’t try to let her down easy because that would invite a future reconciliation.

            “Decorations committee?”

            Irene took a deep breath as she twirled her pen around, waiting for someone to answer whatever Solar was asking for.

            “Bae Irene!”

            Said girl jolted in her chair and finally averted her gaze from her empty notebook to Solar, who was sitting at one end of the conference table. Solar raised a brow when Irene’s wide eyes locked with hers.

            “S-Sorry, Solar.”

            Right.

            Irene was the head of the decorations committee. She was tasked to inform the student council any updates on their budget, materials, and anything else they need in order to set up for the homecoming dance.

            It wasn’t like her to space out during a student council meeting, so Solar silently let it slide for this time.

            Irene cleared . “We bought everything we need for decorations to fit the theme of Tangled. We just need to assemble the table centerpieces during the week. Given the time frame, we should have everything but the backdrop completed by Thursday night. We were also thinking if we should buy a professional background for photobooths or make our own in accordance to the theme, so if anyone has any input, then that would be appreciated.”

            “Do you have any times set up to make decorations this week?” Solar asked.

            “Yes, it’s all scheduled to be every day starting today after classes are done. We will be making them here in the student council room,” informed Irene.

            “I actually asked someone to help out with a backdrop,” Solar mentioned. She tapped the end of a pen against her chin a few times. “Her name is Kang Seulgi. She’s not a part of the art club, so there is a lot of time on her hands. Not to mention our pretty little cheerleader isn’t participating in the upcoming rally anymore because of her injury.”

            Upon the mention of the familiar cheerleader, Irene suddenly felt alert. Her heart pounded against her chest faster than usual and her mind was flooded with images of Seulgi.

            No one had perfect memory, but Irene liked to think hers was pretty good.

            Otherwise why else would she remember how those pretty lips curled into a bright smile and how her eyes curved into beautiful crescents?

            Of course, classes were not the first thing she thought her decent memory was for.

            “S-Sounds good,” Irene muttered. “Thank you for asking for help in our stead…”

            “No problem. Now, any updates from the tech committee?”

            The technology committee, who was in charge of the audio and visual production of both the rally and dance, started to deliver their updates. Irene closed her eyes and willed her breathing to slow down to a calm pace.

            She shouldn’t feel like this.

            Just hearing Kang Seulgi’s name or seeing her physical appearance shouldn’t have to make her feel so alerted, so panicky. Like she always had to be wary of her own actions and appearance before the cheerleader.

            Kang Seulgi was anyone but someone she knew from her childhood.

            That was it.

            That was what she kept telling herself.

**

            “Do you know Seulgi well?”

            Irene was in the middle of taping up the backdrop on one side of the student council room. Wendy was beside her with her hands on top of the paper to keep it steady. Upon that question, Irene’s fingers slipped from holding it up, accidentally dropping the corner.

            “Oop, here you go,” said Wendy, bending down to pull the paper back up.

            “Uhh, not really,” Irene muttered. “She’s just…someone I’ve known for a long time since elementary.”

            “Oh, I see. So, just friends?”

            “…Yeah, seems like it.”

            “Hmm, really?” Wendy couldn’t help but tease. “She seems like a catch, though. A great and pretty cheerleader.”

            Irene glanced at her with a raised brow and caught sight of that annoying smirk Wendy would always do when she tried to make light of a situation.

            “Then, why don’t you go for her?” Irene grumbled.

            Wendy started to laugh obnoxiously, which led Irene to drop her hands from the top and dig her fingers into Wendy’s armpits.

            “Ow, sorry! Damn, why you gotta sound like that?” Wendy frowned and rubbed the aching pain from her armpit.

            Irene ignored her and proceeded to head to the conference table at the middle of the room to assess the backdrop. Seulgi should be coming any minute now. Solar informed that the cheerleader would be dropping by thirty minutes after their meeting ended to see what she could do on the first afternoon to sketch the backdrop. With that said, Irene decided that it would be beneficial to give her a head start by helping her put up the lengthy backdrop that almost covered the entirety of the wall.

            “Sound like what?”

            “I don’t know, a jealous person?”

            “Why would I be jealous?” Irene muttered, walking around the room to gather the art materials. “I’m serious when I say you can try and go after Seulgi if you want.”

            “I think you forgot that I’m already dating Joy,” Wendy replied, rolling her eyes. “Although, I can ask Joy if she doesn’t mind having more to love.”

            Irene fake gagged. “Gross.”

            “Anyway…” Wendy seemed like she was trying to be more serious now. She went around the room to help Irene with getting the basket of paint bottles and brushes to set onto the table. “I know you just got out of a relationship, but you did mention losing feelings for Stella.”

            “Uh huh.”

            “Seulgi seems really nice.”

            “Are you trying to get me to date her?”

            “What’s the harm?” Wendy asked. They had just finished setting up the room for the main person in question. Wendy leaned against the conference table and waited for Irene to stand next to her, arms crossed. “High school relationships aren’t anything serious, in my opinion.”

            “You’ve been dating Joy for almost a year. Is it not serious with her?”

            “Honestly…it’s quite casual.”

            “That’s surprising to hear. You’re basically just friends with benefits, then. Exclusive ones.”

            “Basically.” Wendy shrugged. When she turned to look at Irene from the side, she could feel the judgmental stare. “Why are you staring at me like that? You’re the one who can’t stay in long-term relationships.”

            Irene rolled her eyes. “And what about it?”

            “Sounds pretty casual and not serious to me.”

            “I can get serious if I want to.”

            Wendy shrugged. “Not worth it. People are pretty immature here.”

            “Yeah,” Irene agreed.

            “But not Seulgi,” Wendy teased, and quickly ran away before Irene could smack her.

            Curse Wendy.

            “Did I just hit a nail?” Wendy goaded once more.

            “I don’t get why you keep teasing me about her,” Irene spat out, arms still crossed and lips in a pout. “You don’t do that about anyone else.”

            “I don’t know.” Wendy simply shrugged. “I just sense that there is something more between you two.”

            “There isn’t anything, Wendy,” Irene clarified. “We are literally friends from kindergarten. Not strangers but also not super good friends either.”

            “That’s unfortunate. I wonder what stopped y’all from getting to that point.”

            Before Irene could reply, a knock sounded on the main door to the student council room. Irene hastily averted her gaze to the rectangular windowpane only to find Seulgi waving at her and allowing herself inside.

            “Hi guys,” Seulgi greeted.

            She stepped into the room carefully as if she didn’t belong in the student council. Irene and Wendy, being the only two who stuck around long after the meeting ended, ushered her in. Wendy was the more accommodating one, as if she was the owner of a house to entertain the guests coming through.

            “Hey Seulgi!” She cheerfully greeted.

            When Irene noticed that Seulgi was still wearing her knee brace and that she was limping towards the conference table, she rapidly rushed over from where she stood.

            “Did you really walk all the way over here with that brace still on your knee?” Irene asked. Her tone of voice sounded like she was scolding Seulgi. “You shouldn’t have walked like this. Why don’t you have any crutches?”

            Seulgi only flashed her a smile. Irene couldn’t help but trace the facial features she knew well – first, the corners of her lips would tug upwards; second, her charming eyes would scrunch; and third, a breath of air would come out of her noise. It was a sheepish smile; a small giggle.

            “It’s no big deal, Irene,” Seulgi tried to reason. “I’m a lot better now. I’m just wearing this in case.”

            Irene frowned and genuinely felt apologetic for the cheerleader. It was confirmed by coach Yuri that Seulgi wouldn’t be able to participate in the homecoming rally, the first big one of the year. Seulgi, on the outside, still seemed like the bright cheerleader she was. But Irene knew how much she wanted to perform.

            “You really need to be more careful…” Irene mumbled.

            Seulgi grinned and patted Irene on her arm, as if thanking her for her worry over the injury. “I know, I know.”

            Irene heard someone clearing off to the distance. She hastily averted her gaze from Seulgi to Wendy, who was loudly shuffling about in the student council room now.

            Well, crap.

            Having a witness of that interaction didn’t put Irene in a good spot.

            Friends could worry, yes, but as someone who knew Irene well through the years of working on student council together, Wendy confirmed that Seulgi and Irene didn’t have any average relationship.

            There was something going on.

            And Wendy was definitely suspicious of that.

**

            But that wasn’t the only problem.

            Wendy and Seulgi got along really well, Irene noticed.

            A lot better than Seulgi and Irene did throughout their entire life of knowing each other.

            Irene heard Wendy’s cheerful giggles and Seulgi’s jovial laughter while they were working on one side of the backdrop together. On the other hand, Irene was seated at the conference table where she was able to get a good look at the entire situation while creating the centerpieces for the round tables at homecoming.

            “How long have you been drawing for?” Wendy started her rounds of questions. It was natural for her to do so, though – the way she asked questions so casually and coolly, which made anyone she was talking to comfortable. It was also the way she expressed herself afterwards that made her seem so friendly. “You draw quite well.”

            Irene glanced up. Wendy was standing awfully too close to Seulgi. A scowl appeared on Irene’s face at the sight, lowkey judging Wendy for being slightly flirtatious with the cheerleader while also having a girlfriend (the relationship was casual, but it was still a commitment). Got it give it to Wendy to quickly chat up anyone she deemed attractive to her standards.

            Seulgi drew since kindergarten, Irene automatically thought.

            “Hmm, I think since kindergarten?” Seulgi answered. “I was always doodling in class with crayons.”

            “Wow! No wonder you’re so good then, huh?” Wendy complimented and nudged Seulgi on the elbow, careful not to do so when the pencil wasn’t touching the backdrop.

            “Ha ha, I’m okay…” Seulgi said. “Mino’s better than me.”

            “Well, that’s because he’s slightly more serious at drawing, though, right? He’s joining the art competition.” The cheerleader nodded in return, gradually pacing down along the backdrop to finish up the large-scale sketch from her sketchbook. “Why didn’t you join?”

            She’s too busy with cheerleading, Irene thought.

            “I was really into it in middle school, but once I joined cheerleading, it’s taken a lot of my time,” replied Seulgi. “I still enjoy it every now and then, but I’m a bit more focused on cheerleading now.”

            “Ah, right… You’re the co-captain, aren’t you?” Wendy looked down to see the knee brace that was still on Seulgi’s knee. “I’m sorry we had to ask you for help when you’re still injured. It is getting better, right?”

            “Yeah, to both.” Seulgi giggled lightly. “I should be able to take this brace off soon. Hopefully before the dance.”

            “That’s good to hear.”

            While Seulgi outlined what she wanted to be colored, Wendy started to paint on the side that was completely sketched out.

            “I hope you don’t mind me asking this, but do you have anyone you like?” Wendy asked. When Seulgi darted her eyes over in a snap, Wendy quickly brought up a different way to ask, “Or, like, do you have ideal qualities you want to see in a person?”

            Well, that one Irene couldn’t automatically formulate thoughts for.

            The only person she thought of that Seulgi could potentially like was Mino. At first, she didn’t think it was possible. Seulgi, Mino, and Yura acted like three best friends who were deeply engrossed into art.

            What made her think otherwise was last Friday.

            How Mino asked Seulgi out to homecoming.

            Sunflowers and a self-made portrait of themselves.

            If that already wasn’t something that a boyfriend or someone quite intimate would make, then Irene didn’t know what.

            The entire scene replayed a few times throughout the day since then.

            It was a bother.

            No matter what time of day it was, what Irene was doing, or what Irene was saying, that scene would pop up out of thin air.

            Taunting her.

            Telling her that this could have played out differently.

            Seulgi and Mino could be best friends now, but only time could tell what could become of them.

            Maybe after this weekend.

            “Hmm…. Well, I like someone who’s nice, kind, and respectful,” started Seulgi. Irene noticed how the cheerleader was giving the question much thought. “Someone who knows how to care for others well, too. Honestly, looks don’t matter to me, but if they’re attractive, then that’s a plus.”

            That brought out a giggle from Wendy, who also agreed.

            “That’s pretty much it,” Seulgi concluded.

            Then, she turned around to face Irene, lips curling into a smile.

            Irene felt her heart stop for a second.

            “I’m all done sketching, Irene,” she said. “But it’s also getting late. Can we finish painting this tomorrow?”

            Oh, that was it.

            “Yes, thank you.” Irene stood up from her seat and took the time to properly assess the backdrop before her. It wasn’t even finished yet, but it looked artistically beautiful. The lanterns and the color scheme that was inspired by Tangled would definitely make the photobooth a one of a kind. “This looks really good so far.”

            “Thanks! Wendy’s actually pretty good at painting,” Seulgi complimented. “People usually , not going to lie.”

            “That’s such a big compliment. I’m going to have to remember those words forever,” Wendy joked. “Anyway, I’m going to go to the restroom real quick. Can y’all wait for me so we can leave together?”

            “Of course.”

            Wendy shuffled out of the student council room and closed the door shut, leaving Seulgi and Irene alone in the room.

            It was awfully quiet without Wendy.

            Irene definitely had to give it to her and her ability to liven up the atmosphere.

            The silence hung over them, and it sounded so loud, louder than the music lightly playing from Wendy’s laptop.

            Seulgi had enough of staring at the backdrop and decided to walk around the table. She was looking at the centerpieces that Irene was making, even going as far as to picking one up that she thought was finished.

            “This looks nice, too,” she said. “I didn’t think you were crafty.”

            “It’s just a simple tabletop,” Irene replied.

            “Still nice.” Seulgi moved closer until she reached by Irene’s side where most of the material was. “Do you need help putting these together?”

            Irene swallowed the lump in . twitched uncomfortably.

            “N-No, it’s fine. We have the rest of the week to finish this.”

            After a few more seconds, Seulgi decided that she was done overviewing Irene’s craft. Irene had her eyes locked onto the table and the centerpieces, yet her gaze wasn’t focused. Instead, she was thinking about what Seulgi was doing next to her – how her slender hands were moving here and there, touching the pieces, palming the edge of the table, tucking her hair behind her ear.

            “How are you doing?”

            It might be because it was terribly quiet in the room, but Seulgi whispered those words. As if she didn’t want anyone to hear them, not even the spirits. As if she was treading on a sensitive topic.

            “I’m fine,” Irene could only say.

            Because really, she was fine.

            “I don’t believe any of those rumors,” Seulgi said. When Irene finally looked over to her, Seulgi was already staring back. “You’re not that kind of person.”

            One corner of Irene’s mouth tugged up into a lopsided smile.

            That was somewhat comforting to know.
            “Thanks.”

            “You obviously don’t have to tell me the real reason, but…I think you’re a good person. I mean, if it’s any indication by how many times you’ve helped me to the nurse.”

            Irene had to laugh at that.

            Oh, accident-prone Seulgi.

            She wished nothing more would come after Seulgi recovered from her bruised and scratched knee.

            “That actually means a lot.” Irene’s voice fluttered gently on not only her own ears but also Seulgi’s.

            They didn’t say anything more after that.

            Only observed each other.

            No one was in the room to interrupt them.

            It was still.

            Kind of quiet.

            Just two beings inches away from each other in a spacious room with the doors closed.

            Irene usually would find herself looking away from Seulgi if they looked at each other for more than a few seconds, but this time around she couldn’t. It was like Seulgi locked her in. Like Seulgi wanted Irene to keep staring at her, stare beyond those eyes and look in deeper.

            Damn.

            Seulgi was pretty darn cute, though. Irene was not going to lie.

            Definitely one of the more attractive ones on this campus.

            But Irene saw the cheerleader beyond her physical appearance.

            Seulgi was actually quite endearing. Very wholesome. Super friendly. But most of the times, she was a little closed off.

            It was kind of hard to read her sometimes.

            To read her thoughts whether they were controversial, insightful, or blank.

            That was why Irene didn’t know more than what she knew about Seulgi already. Because the latter didn’t allow her to, like she was hiding something.

            “Your eyes are really pretty,” Seulgi suddenly commented.

            Irene blinked rapidly at that.

            “Thank…you…”

            “Was that my first time telling you that?”

            “…It probably was.”

            Then, Seulgi abruptly moved closer to her, face mere inches away. Irene held her breath at that point. She didn’t think she would be able to be within such a proximity to hear Seulgi’s shallow breathing or even see the clear complexion of her cheeks.

            Was she…trying to do something more?

            When there was no clear establishment between them?

            Irene fluttered her eyes down to Seulgi’s lips, noticing how plump and soft the bottom one was. It was one of Seulgi’s distinctive features that Irene couldn’t help but stare at sometimes.

            But, of course, nothing happened.

            Seulgi was only adjusting herself to move past Irene, heading to her backpack that was on one of the swivel chairs.

            The door soon opened, and Wendy popped back in.

            “Alright. Ready to head out?” she asked.

            “Yup!” Seulgi exclaimed.

            The breath that Irene was holding finally met air.

            What were you thinking, Irene?

 


 

I thought I'd finish the story with this part, but....I kinda rambled a lot. Next one will be the last part for sure, lol!