chapter one

Even for a Lifetime
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wendy

Today was a particularly crappy day for Wendy. It’s only her first day as a medical intern and she already messed up 4 times. She doesn’t know if it’s the stress or the pressure but she just can’t get anything right today. The fact that she’s messing up makes her even more stressed. She’s stuck in a cycle and she doesn’t know how to get out of it. All the fear and ‘what ifs’ start playing in her mind. 5 more years of this, that’s not so long, right?

“Excuse me,” a soft voice disrupted her thoughts. Thank god.

“Hi, what can I do for you?” Wendy said in her usual cheery voice as she turned around to assist a patient. She momentarily forgot what she was doing when she saw a literal angel talking to her. Damn, she’s beautiful. The girl was a little taller than her and had a timid look on her face. Her hair and alabaster skin looks as if it’s made of silk. Like she said, a literal angel.

“I need to, uhm, see Dr. Kim?” she answered and brought Wendy back to the land of the living.

"Oh, uhm, Dr. Kim Taeyeon? She’s not gonna be here for, uh, another hour, maybe?” She shook her head and stammered. God, she’s all over the place. Maybe it’s the caffeine? She has been up and about for nearly 14 hours.

“It’s kind of urgent,” the girl said, her voice trailing off. In that moment, Wendy had an idea. If she helped this girl, she could impress Dr. Kim and maybe she’ll let her assist in one of her surgeries. The thought made Wendy’s face light up and in an instant her confidence was back.

 “If you want, I can assist you instead. Don’t worry, I’m a first-year resident and Dr. Kim is my attending. I can assure you that you will be in good hands,” Wendy said with a wink.

The girl looks at her watch and taps her foot. She looks around while considering the option. “Okay,” she finally agrees.

“Okay great,” Wendy said with her eyes smiling, “Do you have any existing records here?”

“Uhh, yes, Bae Joohyun,” she said timidly. Wendy typed the name in the system and sure enough a Bae Joohyun popped up. She took the records and led Joohyun to an empty check-up room, “Follow me please.”

Joohyun carefully sits on the examination bed and waits as Wendy reviews her charts. Tremors and *Bradykinesia? *Levodopa and DDI? She looks up at her patient trying to mask the shock and pity on her face. It’s not like she hasn’t encountered patients with Parkinson’s before but people usually develop this at around the age of 60. The girl looked like she was in her late 20s, it’s quite rare for people to have symptoms this early on in their life.

“Surprised?” Joohyun sm

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter