nothing seems to cover up the pain

body ain't me

 

 

 

“Seulgi, I have some bad news..” Sooyoung looked at her friend hesitantly.

 

“What?” Seulgi chuckled. “Yerim ate all my food again?”

 

“Excuse me?” Yeri looked offended. “Whenever I eat your food, I at least have the courtesy to inform you about it.”

 

“You mean the audacity?” Seulgi rounded on her.

 

“No, it’s not that.” Sooyoung shook her head.

 

“Did Haetnim get a stomachace because you put too much food on that spoiled baby’s bowl again?” Seulgi asked.

 

“No.”

 

Seulgi’s eyes narrowed. “Then what is it?”

 

“I just heard. She’s.. uhm..” Sooyoung checked her phone. “She’s here.”

 

“Who?” Seulgi was getting annoyed now. “Just spit it out.”

 

“Joohyun.” Sooyoung gave her friend a pitiful look.

 

 “Joohyun’s back.”

 

 

***

 

“You’re back!” Seulgi smiled as the love of her life walked in.

 

“Yeah,” Joohyun closed the distance between them in three wide steps to give Seulgi a sweet kiss. “Our boss was in a good mood today, I think he’s leaving to meet up with mistress number 3, and that’s why he let us off early.”

 

Seulgi crinkled her nose in disgust. “I swear, babe. I can’t stand your boss.”

 

“Don’t worry.” Joohyun her hair. “I’m about to get promoted then I’ll be able to work more flexible hours. Then maybe I can take you out for dates every once in a while.. we could go to an AirBnB for a romantic weekend getaway.. We can go wherever you want..”

 

Joohyun trailed off because Seulgi pulled her in for a passionate kiss.

 

“I’d like that.” Seulgi smiled against Joohyun’s lips. “But right now I just want us to go to the bedroom.”

 

***

 

Seulgi has been in a really bad mood all week. But she simply chalked it up to just being frustrated over work and not about the news of Joohyun being back.

 

“You know what,” Yeri said as she heard Seulgi groan and crumple up another sheet of paper. “Why don’t we go out? You’ve been working so hard all week for that project.”

 

“Yeah, and it isn’t even halfway done!” Seulgi pulled at her hair. “We meet with the clients next week and when I stand up there and give my presentation, all I’m gonna show them is a steaming pile of crap.”

 

“Oh God, please don’t.” Sooyoung just walked in and only overheard the last part of the duo’s conversation.

 

“Where have you been all day?” Yeri asked.

 

“Well, if you must know,” Sooyoung answered airily. “I just got back from a contract signing for a modeling gig!”

 

“Woah, really?” Seulgi’s eyes widened.

 

“Which company?” Yeri probed.

 

“SM!” Sooyoung squealed. “That's right, Seul! I'm going to be working at your company!”

 

“That's awesome!” Seulgi looked ecstatic.

 

"Hey! Isn't your project about Seoul Fashion Week?" Sooyoung asked excitedly. “Do you think we're going to be working together?"

 

“I’ll know more on Monday.” Seulgi answered.

 

“Now this is a cause for celebration!” Yeri went to Seulgi’s work space and proceeded to close stacks upon stacks of folders on Seulgi’s table. “You can do those on Sunday, Seulgi. Tonight, let’s just go out.”

 

“Do we really have to?” Seulgi groaned.

 

“I’ll pay.” Sooyoung offered.

 

 

 

An hour later, Seulgi found herself having fun with her friends despite herself. Seulgi figured that Yeri was right; she had been working hard for the past week. She deserved to take a break.

 

“Seulgi!” Yeri tapped her arm impatiently. “Are you listening?”

 

Seulgi blinked. “Of course. Sooyoung, you were talking about the girl you saw at the company, right?”

 

“No, that topic was two shots ago!” Sooyoung shook her head. “But seriously, she was so pretty I cannot belie—”

 

“Focus!” Yeri interrupted. “You were talking about Joohyun.”

 

“Oh.” Seulgi’s heart sank to her stomach. “What about her?”

 

“She texted me earlier.” Sooyoung looked at her warily. “She wants to meet up tomorrow.”

 

“No.” Seulgi shook her head fiercely. “Hard pass.”

 

“Come on, Seul.” Yeri scoffed. “It’s been five years.”

 

“So?” Seulgi said dismissively. “I don’t want to see her.”

 

“But you were the one who broke up with her.” Sooyoung reasoned.

 

“And she’s our friend too, you know.” Yeri added.

 

“Fine.” Seulgi waved her hand dismissively. “But I won’t go.”

 

The two groaned.

 

“Come on, Seulgi!”

 

“I don’t want to see her.” Seulgi repeated.

 

Sooyoung pouted. “Not even if we begged?”

 

Seulgi downed her drink in one go.

 

“Not even if she begged.”

 

***

 

“Please, Seulgi.” Joohyun pleaded. “I’m begging you.”

 

“You know, you’re such a scaredy cat!” Seulgi waved the tickets in front of her. “I already bought the tickets! And it’s not that scary anyway.”

 

“Don’t you want to watch this romantic movie instead?” Joohyun pointed to the poster next to the movie they were about to watch.

 

“We always watch romantic movies!” Seulgi complained. “I want to watch this thriller.”

 

“All right.” Joohyun slumped her shoulders.

 

“Hey,” Seulgi said softly. “If you really can’t, I won’t make you watch.”

 

“No, it’s fine.” Joohyun grumbled. “But I’m going to scream and punch your arm if something scary comes up. You ready for that?”

 

Seulgi smiled and held out her arm.

 

“It would be my pleasure, my love.”

 

***

 

“So is that the girl you won’t shut up about?” Seulgi nudged her friend.

 

“YES!” Sooyoung whispered happily. “Isn’t she the most beautiful person you ever saw?”

 

Seulgi regarded the girl. “She’s all right. Although she’s not really my type.”

 

Sooyoung rounded on her. “What? What’s not to like? She's got everything: the tall figure, the blonde hair, and the long slender body! She’s like the total package.”

 

Seulgi just shrugged and realization dawned upon Sooyoung.

 

“Oh, right..” Sooyoung nodded slowly. “I forgot you liked girls that are short, black-haired, and basically Joohyun-like.”

 

Seulgi punched her friend in the arm.

 

“OW!” Sooyoung slapped Seulgi’s arm. “Be careful of the goods! I’m going to be wearing a sleeveless top for the shoot!”

 

“By the way,” Seulgi said. “It’s not the same project. But it’s in the same department so we’ll probably see each other all the time.”

 

“Good.” Sooyoung slightly faltered. “Because I have a feeling you’ll be looking for me always.”

 

“Why is that?” Seulgi asked.

 

“No reason.” Sooyoung quickly answered as her crush approached them upon seeing her. “Now, shut up and be cool for a second, she’s coming over here.”

 

“Joy!” The girl smiled. “You’re here early.”

 

“Yes,” Sooyoung said cheerfully. “I came with my roommate. Seulgi, this is Rosé.”

 

“Nice to meet you.” Seulgi shook her hand. “Well, I better go. I’ll see you later, Joy.

 

Sooyoung threw Seulgi a murderous glare that quickly turned angelic as soon as Rosé turned to face her.

 

Seulgi mouthed ‘Joy’ teasingly behind Rosé’s back one more time and she laughed as she walked away.

 

 

 

When lunch time came, Seulgi was waiting for Sooyoung’s shoot to finish so they could go out to eat with Yeri.

 

As soon as she was done, Sooyoung jogged to where Seulgi and Yeri had been waiting for several minutes.

 

“There she is!” Seulgi gestured to her friend. “What, you couldn’t remove your heavy make up first?”

 

“I was already running late, I didn’t want to keep you guys waiting.” Sooyoung panted.

 

“My, my, my.” Yeri said sweetly. “Our dear Joy is so thoughtful.”

 

Sooyoung groaned. “You told her?”

 

“I didn’t tell her anything, Joy.” Seulgi said innocently.

 

“Now, come on, Joy!” Yeri beckoned.

 

“Hey, by the way.” Seulgi looked shyly at her roommates. “Is it cool if my share of the rent’s a little late? It’s just that I had to take some of the funds for the materials from my paycheck again.. I’m sorry.”

 

“It’s fine.” Yeri said reassuringly. “But seriously, you should fire that accountant in your department. This keeps happening and you’re always the only one suffering!”

 

“Exactly.” Sooyoung agreed. “You should hire Yeri instead.”

 

Yeri chuckled. “Can you at least let me finish my master’s degree first?” Then her eyes widened as she looked at the time. “, that reminds me! I’m late for class. I’ll see you at home!”

 

“I really hate being poor.” Seulgi groaned as they watched Yeri speed off to the bus stop.

 

***

 

“Don’t worry about the rent, baby.” Seulgi squeezed Joohyun’s hand. “I’ll take care of it.”

 

“But you did that last month too!” Joohyun looked upset as she pored over their bills. “I feel like such a freeloader in this apartment.”

 

“You’re not.” Seulgi smiled as she took Joohyun’s face in her hands. “You take care of the groceries and our electric bill. Plus you always do our laundry and you help me clean the kitchen when I make a mess trying to come up with a new recipe.”

 

“You know I only do the laundry because I like the smell of the fabric softener.” Joohyun whined.

 

“The point is,” Seulgi kissed her nose. “You don’t have to worry about money. You work so hard already despite being overqualified for your job. Don’t stress yourself out more. I want you to relax when you’re home.”

 

“All right.” Joohyun surrendered and she gives Seulgi a chaste kiss. “I won’t worry about money.”

 

Joohyun sighed. “I guess it’s a good thing my girlfriend’s an heiress then.”

 

 

***

 

The day was finally done and Seulgi stretched her arms and back. She had been in meetings all day and when she wasn’t, she was stuck in her office, making some final decisions on the set design of their project.

 

Seulgi cracked her neck and her knuckles, both of which had been aching for hours now. Her phone rang and she picked it up but not before stifling a yawn.

 

“Where are you?” Seulgi said sleepily to Sooyoung over the phone. “Let’s go. I’m beat.”

 

“I’m, uh, almost there.” Sooyoung said unevenly.

 

Seulgi leaned back on her chair and propped up both of her feet on the table. She had her back to the door as she counted the minutes that ticked by on the wall clock.

 

The door swung open and Seulgi muttered as she swiveled to face the door.

 

“Joy! What on earth took you so lo—”

 

Seulgi stopped on her tracks as she realized that Sooyoung wasn’t alone.

 

Next to her stood the only woman that Seulgi ever loved.

 

“Joohyun.”

 

“Hello, Seulgi.”

 

Seulgi quickly tried to move to a more presentable position but her equilibrium was thrown off and she fell off the office chair and on to the floor with a resounding thud.

 

Sooyoung guffawed as Joohyun moved to her cautiously.

 

“Are you okay?” Joohyun’s face was masked with concern.

 

“I’m—I’m fine.” Seulgi stood up and dusted herself off, getting red in the face. “What are you doing here?”

 

“Park Sooyoung, you didn't tell her?” Joohyun tilted her head towards the tall girl. “Or do you go by ‘Joy’ now?”

 

“No, it’s still ‘Sooyoung’. Seulgi was just being an idiot as always.”

 

“What are you doing here?” Now that Seulgi has regained her composure, she stepped back from Joohyun.

 

“I just stopped by to see how you were doing.” Joohyun answered.

 

Seulgi refused to meet her eyes. Instead, she focused on her own hands.

 

“Well, I’m doing fantastic.” She replied crossly.

 

For lack of a better thing to do, Seulgi cracked her knuckles again.

 

Joohyun’s hands twitched and she instinctively moved to put it over Seulgi’s but she realized what she was about to do so Joohyun abruptly stopped and let it fall back to her side.

 

***

 

Seulgi cracked her knuckles and Joohyun slapped her hands to make her stop.

 

“I told you, that’s a bad habit.” Joohyun looked at her disapprovingly.

 

“I can’t help it,” Seulgi said. “I’m nervous.”

 

“About what?”

 

“My plate.”

 

Joohyun regarded her work. “It looks good to me.”

 

Seulgi rolled her eyes. “Of course it does, Hyun. You love me.”

 

Joohyun’s face broke to a wide smile. “I do. I love you so much.”

 

“But my professor does not.” Seulgi let out a sigh. “So I have to make sure it really looks good.”

 

“Can I just say I’m proud of you?” Joohyun locked her hands around Seulgi’s waist.

 

“For what?”

 

“For following your dreams.” Joohyun reached up to plant a kiss on Seulgi’s chin.

 

“Yeah,” Seulgi snorted. “After my dad allowed me to. Do I need to remind you that I had to finish stupid business school before he gave me my trust fund to pursue Visual Arts?”

 

“Still. You’re following your dreams, aren’t you?” Joohyun hugged her tighter.

 

“I am.” Seulgi put her tools down. “Now time for a make out break!”

 

Joohyun squealed as Seulgi picked her up and carried her to the couch.

 

***

 

“Sooyoung!” Seulgi hissed as soon as they were alone. “What in the ??”

 

“I’m sorry, but she insisted!” Sooyoung put her hands up. “What was I supposed to do? Lead her to the wrong room?”

 

“What is she even doing here?” Seulgi raised her voice.

 

“Shhh!” Sooyoung tried to put a hand on . "Be quiet!"

 

“Don’t shush me, Park Sooyoung.” Seulgi wriggled free from her friend’s hold. “I told you guys I didn’t want to see Joohyun!”

 

“Well, that’s unfortunate.”

 

Seulgi turned around and Joohyun was standing there, shifting her feet. “I guess you’ll probably have to start getting used to it.”

 

“What do you mean?” Seulgi’s eyes narrowed.

 

“I’m your new client, Seulgi.”

 

 

 

 

"SHE'S MY CLIENT??" Seulgi wailed.

 

"Uh huh." Sooyoung told her.

 

"And you both knew?" 

 

"That is correct." Yeri replied.

 

"And you didn't tell me?!"

 

Yeri and Sooyoung shook their heads.

 

"WHY?" Seulgi grabbed each of their arms.

 

"You said you didn't want to know what she's up to!" Yeri disentangled herself from Seulgi's hold. 

 

"Yes." Sooyoung turned to face Seulgi and she pointed a long finger towards the door. "Last week, when we got back from having lunch with her, you specifically said not to talk about her as soon as we walked inside the apartment."

 

"Yes, but--"

 

"No buts, Seulgi!" Sooyoung put her hand in front of her friend's face. "While this might be a weird twist of fate, you have no choice but to make nice with Joohyun."

 

"Exactly." Yeri chided in. "You can't work with her if you won't talk to her. You just have to make do with the cards you're dealt."

 

 

***

 

"It's not about the cards you're dealt." Sooyoung said confidently. "It's how you play the hand. Confucius said that."

 

The four of them burst into laughter. 

 

"What the hell, Sooyoung?" Seulgi looked at her. "Confucius didn't say that!"

 

"He totally did." Sooyoung pushed several chips to the front of the pile. "Here."

 

"Call." Seulgi did the same.

 

Yeri frowned. "Hmm. I fold."

 

Joohyun's lips quirked up. "Raise."

 

"Are you bluffing?" Seulgi rounded on her. 

 

"I don't know." She raised her eyebrows. "Am I?"

 

"I don't think she is." Yeri looked at Joohyun closely. "Are you?"

 

"Are you?" Sooyoung looked worried. "Because I won't have any chips left if I lose!"

 

Joohyun just shrugged. 

 

"Ugh!" Sooyoung dropped her cards. "I fold."

 

"How about you?" Joohyun wiggled her eyebrows at Seulgi.

 

Seulgi squinted at her girlfriend. "I.. I think you're bluffing!"

 

"Am I?" Her face gave nothing away.

 

"Come on, Seul!" Sooyoung encouraged. "You kiss that face everyday and you're telling me you can't read it?"

 

"I can!" Seulgi said defensively. She wanted to bait Joohyun because her smugness is about 90% adorable and 10% irritating. "That's why I'm going all in!"

 

"Horrible mistake." Yeri shook her head.

 

"Call." Joohyun smirks.

 

Seulgi's face fell because she knew she didn't have good cards. 

 

"Now let's see yours." Sooyoung asked for Joohyun's cards and they all stared at it.

 

"You were bluffing!" Yeri snorts. "I should've known!"

 

"Yes, I was." Joohyun laughed. "But I'll still win, you'll see."

 

"What?" Sooyoung shook her head fiercely. "No way. The only way Seulgi would lose is if--"

 

"Fine!" Seulgi threw down her cards. "All I have are duds." 

 

The three spent several minutes laughing at Seulgi's sorry cards.

 

"If you knew you didn't have anything, why didn't you fold, idiot?" Yeri managed to choke out after another laughing fit. 

 

"Because I thought Joohyun would back down." Seulgi said in a small voice.

 

"Wait," Sooyoung turned to Joohyun. "How did you know you'll win?"

 

"It was written all over her face" Joohyun giggled. "I knew she didn't have anything."

 

"What?" Seulgi's brows arched up. "How?"

 

"Because I kiss that face everyday." Joohyun looked at her lovingly. 

 

***

 

“Seulgi, come on.” Sooyoung beckoned. “We’re going to be late.”

 

“I don’t want to go to work today.” Seulgi groaned as she laid face down.

 

“Get your lazy off that couch.” Yeri poked the oldest with her foot. “I just came home from an all nighter and I’m about ready to crash.”

 

“Go sleep in your own room, brat.” Seulgi muttered. “I’m calling in sick.”

 

Yeri sighed and she sat down on top of Seulgi’s back.

 

Seulgi reached around to pry Yeri off her back. “I’m.. suffocating..”

 

“Then get up!”

 

 

 

20 minutes later, Seulgi had a permanent disgruntled look on her face as the two pulled up in front of the building.

 

“You know what, Seulgi?” Sooyoung smiled at her knowingly. “For someone who wanted to call in sick, you’re looking exceptionally stunning today. You trying to win back Joohyun or what?”

 

“I hope you make a fool out of yourself in front of Rosé.” Seulgi grumbled.

 

 

 

The day went on and Seulgi kept looking at the clock on her wall. Her team’s meeting with Joohyun and her own team is at 2 o’clock in the afternoon and Seulgi did whatever she could to slow down the time. Much to her disappointment, before she knew it, she was parting ways with Sooyoung and Yeri after having lunch and heading back to her office to wait for another hour.

 

“1 hour..” Seulgi wanted to do something with her hands to stop them from fidgeting.

 

She decided to sort out the contents of her cabinet but as soon as she opened one drawer, she immediately swung it closed. The clutter was just too much.

 

Seulgi opened another cabinet drawer and her eyes fell on a sketchpad. She took it out and started sketching absentmindedly.

 

The distraction worked like magic because in no time at all, thoughts of Joohyun that polluted Seulgi’s mind all day started to drift away. She didn’t even realize that it was already 5 minutes after 2pm until her secretary rushed in, looking for her.

 

“Why are you still here?” Doyeon looked at her quizzically. “You’re late to your meeting!”

 

“Oh, !” Seulgi jumped up, startled. “Doyeon! Why didn’t you come fetch me?”

 

“You said you’ll meet me there!” She replied.

 

“Don’t listen to me! You’re a bad secretary. I should fire you.” Seulgi laughed.

 

“You wouldn’t survive for 5 minutes without me.” Doyeon quipped.

 

They treated each other like friends when it’s just the two of them and Seulgi was grateful for that because it kept the work environment light and fun. She trusted Doyeon with her life and loved her just as much as she loved Yeri and Sooyoung.

 

“Hey,” Seulgi held her arms out. “How do I look?”

 

“You look amazing.” Doyeon nodded approvingly. “Why?”

 

“Nothing.” Seulgi fixed her hair in front of the mirror one last time.

 

The two sauntered out of Seulgi’s office and before they went inside the conference room, Seulgi stopped to take a deep breath.

 

“You nervous?” Doyeon held her arm.

 

“A bit.”

 

“Don’t worry.” Doyeon reassured her. “Your presentation’s good. I should know.”

 

“Because you made the final edit?” Seulgi chuckled.

 

“Exactly.”

 

 

An hour later, Seulgi let out a relieved sigh as people slowly filed out of the room. Her presentation went smoothly and the clients seemed to like the concept she proposed. Seulgi was proud of herself for not embarrassing herself in front of Joohyun, but then she never really looked Joohyun’s way. It was easier to pretend she wasn’t there and Seulgi was grateful that Joohyun didn’t ask her any questions or acknowledge her directly in any way.

 

 

Soon, it was just her and Doyeon sorting out the folders. Seulgi noticed that Joohyun was still seated, discussing something with a few of her colleagues.

 

“She’s insanely hot, right?” Doyeon said when she noticed Seulgi sneaking glances Joohyun’s way.

 

“She’s not.” Seulgi hastily returned her gaze to the stack of paperwork in front of them.

 

“Are you blind?” Doyeon’s eyes bulged. “The moment I saw her, my knees wobbled. I can’t imagine someone being worthy enough to date that goddess.”

 

Seulgi laughed. “Oh, my dear, sweet Doyeon.”

 

“What?”

 

Seulgi shook her head. “You don’t even want to know.”

 

Joohyun cleared . “Excuse me.”

 

Doyeon bowed stiffly. “Miss Bae. I look forward to w-working with you.”

 

Joohyun smiled. “Likewise. Seulgi, can I talk to you?”

 

Seulgi wanted to laugh at Doyeon’s flushed face but she got caught off guard by Joohyun’s sweet smile as well. It was the first time Joohyun has been this close since their last meeting several days ago.

 

“W-what about?” She couldn’t believe that this small woman made towering figures like Seulgi and Doyeon stutter miserably.

 

“I wanted to ask something about your concept proposal.” Joohyun said simply.

 

Seulgi didn’t even realize that she was holding her breath until she slowly let out an exhale. “Okay.”

 

“I’ll be going then.” Doyeon awkwardly bowed again. “See you later, Seul—Miss Kang.”

 

“See you.”

 

 

 

Seulgi shifted uncomfortably in her seat. Joohyun has been sitting near her and pointing out several slides in her laptop for the better part of an hour and every small movements Joohyun did made Seulgi tense.

 

When Joohyun tucked a stray her behind her ear absently, Seulgi’s heart thudded.

 

And when Joohyun stood up to get a better look at what Seulgi’s emphasizing in the layout, her breath hitched slightly because Joohyun was leaning so close into her personal space, Seulgi could smell her perfume.

 

Joohyun still affected her and Seulgi hated it.

 

“All right,” Joohyun smiled as she stood up. “I think we covered it all, thank you.”

 

“Okay.” Seulgi also stood up. “Well, then. I guess I’ll be going.”

 

“Wait..”

 

Seulgi turned to her and she gulped because Joohyun was biting her lip, looking unsure. It made Seulgi weak in the knees and she wanted to laugh for making fun of Doyeon earlier.

 

But there’s nothing funny about the way her heart was racing when Joohyun suddenly grabbed her arm.

 

“Can we talk?”

 

“Isn't that what we've been doing for the past hour?" Seulgi laughed nervously.

 

"Not about work." Joohyun looked at her seriously.

 

"O-okay."

 

 

 

Seulgi sat opposite Joohyun in a cafe near the office building, wondering why she agreed to do this.

 

"So," Joohyun said as she sipped her drink. "How have you been?"

 

"Good." Seulgi replied.

 

"Kim Yerim tells me you've been stressed about work." Joohyun commented.

 

"It's fine." Seulgi shrugged.

 

"I'm glad to hear that you're a creative director now, by the way." Joohyun smiled. "Looks like everything worked out after all."

 

"Thanks."

 

"How did Sooyoung get the modeling job at SM anyway?" Joohyun tried again.

 

"Her friend set it up." Seulgi stirred her drink.

 

Joohyun sighed. "Seulgi."

 

"What?" Seulgi avoided her eyes.

 

"Are you really gonna be like this the whole time?" Joohyun sounded so disappointed.

 

Seulgi continued to look down.

 

"Seulgi." Joohyun said again. "Look at me."

 

Seulgi really didn't want to, but Joohyun used a commanding voice that she could never defy.

 

They stared at each other and Seulgi could see the hurt in Joohyun's eyes.

 

"You were the one who broke up with me, you know." Joohyun said quietly.

 

"I know." Seulgi said. "And then you left."

 

"And then I left." Joohyun repeated. "But now I'm back."

 

"That doesn't change things." Seulgi broke eye contact and again she looked down.

 

"We have to be professional, Seulgi." Joohyun used her commanding voice again. "We're not kids anymore, these are our careers at stake."


"What? I am professional!" Seulgi fired up. That struck a nerve. "If that's all you wanted to talk about, I'll be going then."

 

Seulgi stood up. She's had enough of this nonsense. 

 

"You've been gone a long time, Joohyun. Don't treat me like I'm still a child."

 

***

 

"Stop acting like a child, Seulgi!" Joohyun said angrily. "You know I have responsibilities."

 

"But you already said yes without even talking about it with me!" Seulgi closed her fist in frustration. "And France is too far away!"

 

"It's only for three months!" Joohyun was shouting now. "And it's the opportunity of a lifetime! Why can't you see that?"

 

"We're a couple, Joohyun! Did you forget about that?" Seulgi fired back. "We're supposed to be making these decisions together! We have to think about what's good for us!" 

 

"What's good for 'us'?" Joohyun laughed mockingly. "No. We always did what's good for you. It was always about what you wanted. Now, I know that this is good for me! This is what want! But you can't see that because you're a rich daddy's girl who's so spoiled and immature that you throw a tantrum whenever you don't get your way!"

 

As soon as Joohyun said it, she knew she crossed a line. "Seulgi.. I didn't mea--"

 

"Fine.Go to France for all I care. Go wherever the hell you want."

 

 

***

 

 

"Heeeeyyy."

 

"I'm sorry, did I wake you?" Joohyun whispered to her phone.

 

"No." Wendy replied. "I was waiting for you to call, love. I guess I fell asleep."

 

Joohyun relaxed as she heard Wendy's soft voice. "I'm headed home. Just finished another brutal meeting."

 

"Can you really call your hotel room 'home'?" Wendy chuckled. 

 

"Well, it's already been a month." Joohyun sighed. "I miss you."

 

"I miss you too." Wendy stifled a yawn. "But It's just a couple more months, you can do it. I'm proud of you, my big time fashion executive director!"

 

"You're such a sweet talker." Joohyun giggled. "Now go back to sleep. Rest your voice. You must be tired from recording all day." 

 

"I can still sing you to sleep, you know." Wendy teased.

 

"Tomorrow." Joohyun smiled. "You need the rest." 

 

"Fine." Wendy laughed again and even something as simple as that sounded like music to Joohyun's ears. "But only because you said so."

 

"Good night, Wannie." 

 

"Good night, love." She murmured.

 

Joohyun waited.

 

"Hyun." Wendy hummed.

 

"Yes?" 

 

"It's 3 am and I love you."

 

Joohyun felt warmth all over her body.

 

"It's 5 pm and I love you."

 

 

***

 

"I love you." Joohyun whispered as they cuddled under the sheets. "I love you so much."

 

"What's gotten into you?" Seulgi laughed as Joohyun peppered her face with kisses. 

 

"What?" Joohyun pretended to be offended. "Can't I just appreciate my beautiful girlfriend?"

 

"Did you do something bad?" Seulgi said skeptically.

 

"No!" Joohyun slapped her shoulder. "It's just.. I don't know. I love you a lot today."

 

Seulgi smirked. "So I was that good?" 

 

"You're such an !" Joohyun punched her bare stomach and Seulgi winced. "Forget it. I don't love you a lot today."

 

"Aw," Seulgi hugged her closer. "I was just teasing. I love it when you're extra clingy."

 

Joohyun laughed. "I know. And I love it when you hold me tight."

 

"Then let's stay like this forever."

 

"We can't." Joohyun reached across the bed to check her phone. "We've got to get dressed, Jennie says they're close."

 

"Tell them we're canceling." Seulgi muttered against her neck.

 

"They're already on their way, babe." Joohyun reasoned. "With Lisa's fast-paced driving, they're probably 10 minutes away."

 

"10 minutes, huh?" Seulgi raised her eyebrows. "We can make it work."

 

"Seul," Joohyun laughed. "No. Get up."

 

But Seulgi was already kissing her neck. "Are you sure?"

 

Joohyun sighed. "All right. We can make it work."

 

They both giggled as they hid under the sheets once more. 

 

 

***

 

Joohyun pressed a knuckle against her temple. It was another tiring day and her head had been throbbing for several days now.

 

The preparations for Seoul Fashion Week were at a full time swing and Joohyun has only had a couple hours of sleep all week.

 

After another gruelling meeting with her superiors and Seulgi's team, Joohyun walked out of the room and heaved a great sigh.

 

She wanted to call Wendy just to hear her voice but it's the wee hours of the morning in Canada and she figured her girlfriend needed to rest since she's also been busy preparing for her first solo album.

 

Another wave of migraine took over Joohyun and she leaned against the glass window because she felt like fainting. 

 

Seulgi was the last to vacate the conference room and as soon as she crossed the door, her eyes fell on Joohyun who had her eyes closed and was clutching her head. 

 

Seulgi wanted to just walk in the opposite direction since she was still pretty pissed at how their conversation went a week ago.

 

So she didn't understand why her feet were taking her to her ex-girlfriend, closing the distance between them in several slow strides. 

 

"Are you alright?" Seulgi asked. 

 

Joohyun jumped and her eyes fluttered open. "What the--you startled me!"

 

Seulgi couldn't suppress her smile. Some things never really change. 

 

"Sorry." She stepped back. "But you just looked so pale."

 

"I'm fine." Joohyun smoothed our her hair. 

 

"Are you sure?" 

 

"Yes." Joohyun walked away. "I'll see you tomorrow, Seulgi."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"So," Yeri asked casually as they ate dinner. "How's it been working with Joohyun? You kill each other yet?" 

 

"Just about." Seulgi said while munching on her food. "Although it's gotten a lot better. We just don't talk to each other unless we absolutely have to."

 

"Don't talk when you're eating, Seul!" Sooyoung complained. "It's disgusting."

 

Seulgi retaliated by making loud chewing sounds while staring at Sooyoung intensely. 

 

"She still make you swoon?" Yeri had her chin resting on her palm. 

 

"No." Seulgi answered a little too quickly. 

 

"Yes." Sooyoung laughed. "Doyeon told me Joohyun's got her blubbering like a complete idiot."

 

"Doyeon is a liar." Seulgi pouted. 

 

"So let me get this straight," Sooyoung's eyes narrowed. "You didn't stutter in front of Joohyun?" 

 

"I.." Seulgi hesitated. 

 

Yeri and Sooyoung laughed. 

 

"You know," Yeri continued eating her food. "You should try to win her back."

 

"Totally!" Sooyoung agreed. "You still look cute together. I saw you guys standing together the other day when you were giving a presentation."

 

"Do you have nothing better to do besides obsess about me and Joohyun?" Seulgi turned to Sooyoung. "Aren't you like, a model or something?" 

 

"It's just that I'm great at what I do that I finish early." Sooyoung shrugged. "Besides, spying on you is way more fun."

 

"Maybe I'd pop in some time and see you make a fool out of yourself in front of Joohyun." Yeri considered. 

 

"I will tell security to never let you in." Seulgi threatened. 

 

"By the way, Seulgi." Sooyoung twirled a fork in front of her friend's face. "A few model friends invited me to a party tomorrow. Yeri said she'd go. You should come out with us."

 

"No, thanks." Seulgi scoffed. "I'm way too busy anyway."

 

"Aw, come on!" Yeri whined. "Take a break! You've been working overtime for like three straight days now!"

 

"Yes," Seulgi said as she rolled her eyes. "Because we're way too busy! Even Joohyun's logging in overtime hours."

 

"Oh." Sooyoung nodded. "I see how it is. You just want to spend more time with Joohyun."

 

"No!" Seulgi denied as Yeri nodded in understanding. "You've got to be kidding me. Fine. I'll go to your stupid party. Is Rosé gonna be there?"

 

"Yes."

 

"Then maybe I'd pop in some time and see you make a fool out of yourself in front of her." Seulgi laughed. 

 

 

***

 

"I'm worried I'll make a fool out of myself in front of your mom." Seulgi said as she fidgeted with her clothes. 

 

"You're not." Joohyun squeezed her hand. "It's going to be fine, Seul." 

 

"I'm so nervous, I might sweat through my clothes." Seulgi whispered.

 

"You look great." Joohyun regarded her. "What's with the outfit, by the way? I look underdressed sitting next to you."

 

It was true; Joohyun was wearing a simple tee paired with denim pants while Seulgi was clad in a flowy dress.

 

"I wanted to look presentable in front of your mother." Seulgi smiled crookedly. "Is that bad?"

 

"No," Joohyun looked at Seulgi lovingly. "You're too damn cute, Kang Seulgi. Did you know that?"

 

"I know you find me adorable." Seulgi rolled her eyes but still she flashed Joohyun a megawatt smile. "I just hope I can charm the socks off your mom too."

 

"Joohyun-ah!" 

 

Seulgi stood up and bowed as Joohyun's mother approached their table. 

 

"Umma." Joohyun hugged her mother and they all sat back down. "This is Seulgi."

 

"So you're the girl who's been making my Joohyun-ah smile so much?" Joohyun's mother smiled warmly. 

 

"I hope so." Seulgi joked.

 

 

 

 

"Your mom's so lovable." Seulgi gushed on the car ride home. "And she even insisted on paying for the meal!"

 

"Sounds like she's the one who charmed your socks off." Joohyun snickered.

 

"I'm serious, babe!" Seulgi's eyes widened. "She just might be my second favorite person." 

 

"And I'm the first?" Joohyun looked at her expectantly.

 

"Oh, you wish." Seulgi smirked. "You're only third or fou--Owww!" 

 

Seulgi yelped as Joohyun rained down slaps on her arm. "I'm driving!" 

 

"So when will you introduce me to your parents?" Joohyun said after things settled down.

 

Seulgi's expression changed. "Oh.. I don't know. They're pretty busy right now."

 

"Oh, okay." Joohyun nodded. "Because I was planning on bringing some food. Does your mother like pastries?"

 

"I.. I think so?" Seulgi laughed nervously. "You don't have to worry about that, Joohyun. My parents are still out of the country and I don't think they'd be getting back soon."

 

***

 

"Tell Sooyoung I'll meet her downstairs, will you?" Seulgi called to Doyeon just as the latter was about to leave. "I think I forgot something in the studio."

 

"Okay." Doyeon nodded. "Also, can I get a ride to the party?"

 

"Sure."

 

Doyeon hesitated at the door. "So.. is Joohyun coming to this party?"

 

Seulgi turned around to face her. "Don't make me regret bringing you as my plus one."

 

Doyeon put her hands up, laughing. "I was just asking, geez! I'm going."

 

 

Seulgi rummaged through the clatter of documents and props in the studio to look for her phone charger. Just as she was about to head to the elevator, she passed by the conference room and found a figure slumped over the table.

 

"Excuse me," Seulgi knocked on the door. "But you can't stay in the conference room. I have to lock this up."

 

Seulgi was surprised to see that it was Joohyun, dozing off with her head on the side.

 

"Joohyun?" Seulgi walked inside. "Why are you still here?"

 

Joohyun stirred and when she came to, she blinked sleepily. "What?"

 

"You should go home, you know." Seulgi stepped back again. It was starting to become a habit since she was slightly afraid of how she might feel once she got near her ex-girlfriend.

 

"Okay." Joohyun said in a soft voice. 

 

"Are you going to move?" Seulgi asked, hesitating at the doorway since Joohyun made no move to get out of her seat.

 

"Give me a second." Joohyun stared ahead.

 

"Okay.."

 

Once Joohyun finally got out of her seat, Seulgi stood nervously outside the door. "Joohyun?"

 

"Yes?" Joohyun answered.

 

They were in the elevator before Seulgi found her voice again. "There's a.. a party tonight. Some models and--and SM people. I was wondering if maybe.. you'd like to go? If you want."

 

Joohyun just hummed as a response.

 

"Or not." Seulgi hastily replied. "I was just thinking if you wanted to stop by. I wasn't asking you to come with me--Doyeon's already my plus one and she--she asked if I wanted to invite you. But it's okay if you don't. Although--although it's okay if you want to, it's just that--"

 

"Seulgi." Joohyun said softly.

 

"Yes?" Seulgi was slightly out of breath from the verbal vomit she just unloaded on Joohyun.

 

"You're talking way too fast and it's making my head spin." 

 

Seulgi blushed. "I'm sorry."

 

Joohyun suddenly grabbed Seulgi's arm. "God, I'm really dizzy."

 

Seulgi froze at the unexpected contact. "Uhm."

 

But as she looked at Joohyun, she knew something was wrong. Joohyun's face was flushed and her eyes were screwed shut.

 

Joohyun swayed slightly and Seulgi instinctively put her arm around the smaller girl's shoulder to steady her. "Are you okay?"

 

"I'm fine." Joohyun said, still not opening her eyes. "Just.. don't let go, okay?"

 

"I won't." Seulgi answered.

 

The elevator dinged. The doors opened and so did Joohyun's eyes. She let go of Seulgi and walked towards the exit. "I'll see you next week, Seulgi."

 

Seulgi looked at her retreating form and once again her feet moved on their own before she could talk herself out of approaching Joohyun.

 

"Are you sure you're okay?" Seulgi said as she walked alongside Joohyun.

 

"Yes." 

 

"Joohyun." Seulgi grabbed her wrist just as they stepped outside. 

 

Seulgi brought a hand to Joohyun's face. "You're hot. Do you have a fever?"

 

"I can take care of myself, Seulgi." Joohyun gently slapped her hand away and reached for her phone to call her driver.

 

Seulgi stared at her. 

 

I shouldn't do this. She said she's fine. I should just walk away. I shouldn't care. I shouldn't---

 

"Give me your phone." Seulgi tore the phone away from Joohyun's hand.

 

"Hey!" 

 

Seulgi typed in her phone number. "This is my personal cell. You call me if you need anything. Anything at all." 

 

A car pulled up in front of them and Joohyun's driver got out to open the door. 

 

"I said I'm fine." Joohyun said again. "But thanks, anyway."

 

Seulgi watched her go until the car turned a corner and disappeared.

 

She jumped when her phone suddenly rang. Thinking it was Joohyun, Seulgi answered immediately.

 

"Quit day dreaming and look to your left, !" Sooyoung's voice rang clear from the other end. 

 

Seulgi followed her friend's instruction and she laughed when she saw Doyeon and Sooyoung waving at her and giving her knowing looks.

 

 

 

 

Seulgi kept pulling out her phone and glancing at it. Yeri noticed and she nudged her friend.

 

“What’s with you?” Yeri asked. “You’ve been checking your messages all night. I told you, forget about work for tonight and just relax.”

 

“It’s not about work.” Seulgi answered. “It’s just..”

 

“What?”

 

Seulgi shook her head. “Nothing. You’re right. Come on. Let’s do shots.”

 

Seulgi managed not to look at her phone for about thirty minutes so when she finally sat back down to their table, her eyes widened when she saw the message from an unsaved number.

 

Did you really mean it when you said anything

 

Seulgi typed a fast reply.

 

Of course

 

When 5 minutes passed and Joohyun still hasn't replied, Seulgi texted her again.

 

What do you need?

 

She stayed glued to her phone. "Seulgi. Let's go dance!" She heard Sooyoung's voice.

 

"I'll be right there." She said without looking up.

 

"Now who do you keep texting?" Yeri sat down beside her. "You got a new boo you've been hiding from us?"

 

"No." Seulgi replied. "It's.. It's actually Joohyun."

 

Yeri clapped triumphantly and Sooyoung groaned. 

 

"I told you." Yeri brought an open palm in front of Sooyoung's face. "Pay up, Joy." 

 

"Hey," Seulgi stood up. "I'm taking off. Make sure Doyeon gets home safely, all right?"

 

Sooyoung just grumbled as she handed Yeri several wads of cash.

 

 

 

Seulgi dialled Joohyun's number and she answered after the fifth ring. 

 

"Why are you calling me?" Joohyun's voice sounded hoarse.

 

"You weren't answering." Seulgi said. "I'm coming over."

 

"Who said I wanted you here?" Joohyun muttered sleepily and Seulgi tried to ignore how adorable she sounded. 

 

"Are you really gonna argue with me on this?" Seulgi challenged.

 

"Fine." Joohyun dropped the call without another word.

 

Then Seulgi's phone buzzed again as Joohyun texted her address details.

 

 

 

10 minutes later, Seulgi was standing in front of Joohyun's hotel room, a plastic bag full of medicine and food on her hand.

 

Joohyun opened the door and blinked as her eyes adjusted to the light outside. She looked so adorable with her sleepy eyes, bare face, hair tied up in a messy bun, and an oversized hoodie that Seulgi felt her heart tug at the sight of Joohyun looking up at her sleepily.

 

“You really came.”

 

Seulgi smiled. “Of course I did.”

 

Joohyun stepped aside to let Seulgi in. “Sorry it’s so dark in here. My migraine gets worse with light.”

 

“It’s alright.” Seulgi felt her way to the table. “Have you eaten?”

 

“Not yet.” Joohyun groaned as she sunk back to bed. “I don’t feel like eating anything.”

 

“Not even tteokbokki?” Seulgi held up the plastic bag.

 

“You remembered my comfort food.” Joohyun smiled and Seulgi brought the food over to her bed.

 

Seulgi watched anxiously as Joohyun slowly finished her meal. “Are you just gonna stand there and watch me eat?”

 

“Why? You want me to come over there and feed you?” Seulgi raised her eyebrows.

 

“Shut up.” Joohyun’s cheeks and ears were tinted with a faint red.

 

“Now drink this.” Seulgi handed her a glass of water with the cold medicine. “You’re overworked, Joohyun. You should take a rest.”

 

“It’s just the humidity back here.” Joohyun said grumpily. “You know I don’t get sick.”

 

***

 

 

“I told you, I don’t get sick!” Joohyun said with a thick voice. “I just need to.. take a small nap.”

 

“You are so stubborn, Joohyun.” Seulgi sighed. “I already canceled on the gang. We’re staying in.”

 

“But I really wanted to go to the zoo.” Joohyun whined. “I wanted to see some animals!”

 

“We can do it next time, babe.” Seulgi ran a hand through her girlfriend’s hair. “For now, please just rest.”

 

Joohyun coughed. “Fine. But can you come to the bed with me so we can snuggle?”

 

Seulgi laughed. “Right. Because your feet get absurdly cold when you’re sick.”

 

“Not that I’m sick..” Joohyun said with a pout. “But yes, my feet are absurdly cold.”

 

“I love you.” Joohyun sighed as she wrapped her arms around Seulgi. "And you're right. We can go to the zoo next time. Besides, I got my bear right here." 

 

Seulgi chuckled as she kissed Joohyun's forehead. "And I got my rabbit right here. Now sleep tight, baby."

 

 

***

 

Seulgi bit her lip as she remembered the memory like it was yesterday. "Joohyun.."

 

"Hmm?"

 

"Your feet cold?"

 

Joohyun chuckled. "Yes." 

 

"You mind?" Seulgi walked over to Joohyun's closet to rummage through her drawers for socks. The thought of the alternative, which was snuggling up next to Joohyun, was too much for Seulgi so she took her time sifting through Joohyun's clothes because she knew that the smaller girl remembered what they used to do as well.

 

"Here," She rubbed Joohyun's feet before she carefully slid the socks on. "Better?"

 

"Uh huh."

 

Seulgi excused herself to call and check up on her friends.

 

"Doyeon get home safely?" Seulgi asked.

 

"She's crashing at our place." Yeri slurred. "The party got lit as hell! A girl group dropped by, guess who?"

 

"Red Velvet?" Seulgi guessed.

 

"Who?"

 

"Hmm. Blackpink?"

 

"Who the ? Don't you know any famous ones?" Yeri complained.

 

"Never mind then. Where's Sooyoung?" Seulgi inquired.

 

"She went home with Rooooosè!" Doyeon said in a singsong voice. "And I think I just met the love of my life, Seulgi! Her name's Jennie Kim so Joohyun's all yours."

 

"Jennie was there?" Seulgi's eyes widened. "Why didn't she call me?"

 

"You know her??" Doyeon almost shouted.

 

"Yeah, she's Joohyun's best friend in college." Seulgi laughed.

 

"How'd you know?" Doyeon asked. "You close with Joohyun or something?"

 

Yeri suddenly butted in. "Wait, Seul, Doyeon doesn't know?"

 

"No." Seulgi laughed harder. "You tell her. Then get a video of it too, I want to see how she'd freak out."

 

"Tell me what?"

 

"Seulgi and Joohyun used to date." Yeri said.

 

Doyeon made incoherent screeching noises and the two laughed loudly.

 

"I hate you, Seulgi!" Doyeon wailed. "For not telling me this sooner AND for letting go of the greatest woman in this generation!"

 

"Fine," Seulgi said. "I'll make it up to you."

 

"Okay." Doyeon's tone suddenly went serious. "Introduce me to Jennie then."

 

"She's engaged."

 

Doyeon made another screeching noise.

 

"Fine." She resigned. "Then I'm back to pining over Joohyun. Watch your back, Seulgi. I might swoop in and steal your girl."

 

"What on earth are you talking about?" Seulgi laughed. "Like she would ever want you."

 

"But does Joohyun want you?" Yeri giggled. "You guys back together?"

 

"I'm not getting back together with Joohyun!" Seulgi said indignantly. "She's sick, and I'm just here to help."

 

"So you're at her place? Niceeee." The two teased. "Good luck, make good choices!"

 

"I'm hanging up." Seulgi rolled her eyes. "Make sure you text me when you get home, Yerim."

 

"Hey," Seulgi said when she spotted Joohyun waddling towards her. "Did I wake you? I'm sorry."

 

"I heard my name, I thought you were calling me." 

 

"Oh," Seulgi scratched her head. "No, I was just talking to Yeri. They were teasing me about being here."

 

"Okay." Joohyun blinked several times. 

 

"Jennie was at the party." Seulgi walked over to guide Joohyun back to her room. "You guys still talk?"

 

"Yes, we met last week." Joohyun answered. "I'm a bridesmaid to her wedding next year."

 

Seulgi got sad for a moment because she wasn't even invited. But she figured that Jennie was probably mad at her still for breaking up with Joohyun.

 

"My secretary has a huge crush on you." Seulgi said as she helped Joohyun get back to bed.

 

"Does she now?" Joohyun commented. "Well, she's cute."

 

"Doyeon is cute?" Seulgi scoffed. "You're delirious from the fever."

 

"Aww," Joohyun said. "Are you jealous?"

 

"No." Seulgi said incredulously. But she couldn't hide her pout.

 

"Don't worry," Joohyun said softly as she slowly drifted off to sleep. "I think you're also cute."

 

***

 

“You’re so cute!” Seulgi gushed as she lightly pinched the baby’s cheeks. “I could just eat you up.”

 

Joohyun pouted as she shook the baby’s hand. “Yeji-ah, you’re stealing my Seulgi away.”

 

“You’re such a baby, Joohyun.” Seulgi laughed as she pinched Joohyun’s cheeks. “Don’t worry, you’re still the cutest.”

 

“Thanks again for helping me babysit, Seul.” Joohyun smiled. “I know you’ve got a lot of deadlines, but I just didn’t think I could handle a baby by myself.”

 

“It’s fine.” Seulgi picked baby Yeji up. “I needed the distraction. And who could ever say no to this cute wittle baby?”

 

Joohyun stared as Seulgi cooed at her little cousin.

 

Seulgi looked so lovely carrying a child that Joohyun instantly had an image in her head that contained Seulgi and her in the backyard of their suburban home, a child in Seulgi’s arm..

 

Their child..

 

Joohyun was snapped out of her reverie when Seulgi suddenly laughed loudly.

 

“God, that stinks!” She said cheerfully. “Babe, little Yeji dropped a deuce! Man, for such a little thing, you’d think it wouldn’t smell this bad.”

 

Joohyun laughed as she gingerly took the baby from Seulgi’s hands.

 

 

 

 

On the ride back home, Seulgi was kissing Joohyun’s hand as she recalled the activities of the day.

 

“And she grabbed my finger, Joohyun!” Seulgi laughed. “Like, she curled her tiny baby hand around my finger. It was so cute! Babies are the best.”

 

“Seul?” Joohyun looked at her. “Can I ask a question?”

 

“Sure, baby.” Seulgi replied. “What’s up?”

 

“Do you ever think about having kids?” Joohyun looked up at her nervously.

 

“Uhm..” Seulgi shrugged. “I never really thought about it. Why?”

 

“Do you think—do you think we’ll have kids someday?” Joohyun asked.

 

Seulgi laughed. “Babe. How would that work?”

 

“There’s lots of options!” Joohyun answered. “There’s adoption, a surrogate, maybe one of us could carry—”

 

“That’s ridiculous.” Seulgi snorted. “My dad would freak if he ever found out I had a daughter with a nameless donor and not with one of his business partners’ successors.”

 

“Oh. All right.” Joohyun said in a small voice.

 

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Seulgi turned to her, concerned.

 

“Nothing.”

 

“You sounded upset. Do you.. do you want to have kids?” Seulgi asked uncertainly.

 

“No, not at all!” Joohyun said hastily. “I was just wondering because we did an awesome job babysitting.”

 

“Okay.” Seulgi let out a sigh of relief. “Because that’s— that’s way, waaaay into the future. If that even happens.” She chuckled. "I haven't even reached my dreams yet. And I really don't believe in marriage, raising a family, all that bull. Because I'll probably end up like my father and treat my spouse and children like business investments. For now, let's just enjoy each other while we can. You understand, right, babe?"

 

“Yeah,” Joohyun chuckled apprehensively. “Right.”

 

***

 

“Seulgi.” Joohyun smiled as she leaned against her ex’s office table. “Are you finally going to let me take you out?”

 

It’s been a few weeks since the night Joohyun got sick and her relationship with Seulgi vastly improved shortly after the incident. A few days after, they started talking with each other comfortably again and Joohyun even offered to treat Seulgi out for a meal as a way of showing gratitude for taking care of her. A week after, they were cracking jokes. Two weeks after, it was like they were back to being close friends.

 

“Fine.” Seulgi said as she compiled the reports Doyeon handed to her earlier. “But I decide where we go.”

 

“Okay.” Joohyun shrugged. “Seems fair to me.”

 

“You better bring out your black card, Miss Bae Joohyun.” Seulgi smirked. “I’m planning to go all out tonight.”

 

“What are you talking about?” Joohyun slapped her arm. “I don’t have a black card!”

 

Joohyun raised her eyebrows. “Not yet, anyway.”

 

Seulgi shook her head as she smiled.

 

 

 

 

“You’re going out with Joohyun tonight?” Sooyoung’s eyes popped as she stared at Seulgi fixing her bangs in front of the mirror.

 

“Yes. As friends.” She added since Yeri was about to say something.

 

“Friends, my !” Yeri scanned her friend’s outfit. “Then why do you look so dressed up?”

 

“Because, we’re going to a fancy place!” Seulgi muttered defensively.

 

“Uh huh.” Sooyoung frowned. “You better come home by 10 tonight, Kang Seulgi.”

 

“What are you, my mom?” Seulgi laughed. “Besides, I thought you wanted us to get back together?”

 

“We did!” Yeri nodded. “But not if you’re not gonna admit that you still have feelings for her.”

 

“Does it matter?”

 

“It totally doesn’t.” Sooyoung shook her head quickly. “Now, go. You must be running la—”

 

“Fine.” Seulgi heaved a sigh. “I’ll admit it.”

 

Sooyoung looked at her warily while Yeri’s face was riddled with anticipation.

 

“I still have feelings for Joohyun. I think I’ll try to win her back.”

 

“Nooooo!” Sooyoung slumped as Yeri jumped up and down, whooping.

 

“What?” Seulgi looked at her two friends. “What’s happening?”

 

Sooyoung cursed under her breath steadily as she handed a handful of bills to Yeri.

 

“I can’t believe you two!” Seulgi rolled her eyes. “You’ve been betting on my love life, you little brats!”

 

“You are such a bad beat, Seulgi!” Sooyoung sniffed. “With the amount of money I lost to Yeri, I could’ve taken Rosé out to a nice restaurant.”

 

“I always knew you could do it, buddy!” Yeri reached up to ruffle Seulgi’s hair.

 

“Hey! I just fixed that!” Seulgi went back to the mirror to redo her hair.

 

“Now if you actually end up together,” Yeri said thoughtfully. “Sooyoung and I better be your maids-of-honor.”

 

“Calm down,” Seulgi chuckled. “Let’s just see how tonight goes first.”

 

 

 

 

“Wannie.” Joohyun smiled. “Good morning.”

 

“Good evening to you, love.” Wendy’s voice sounded tired at the other end of the call.

 

“You okay?”

 

“Yeah.” Wendy sighed. “I’m just beat. I’m on my way to the studio right now to meet with the producers and record another track.”

 

“Are you resting properly?” Joohyun asked worriedly.

 

“Yes.” Wendy giggled. “I have to tell you a secret.”

 

“What is it?” Joohyun smiled.

 

“Guess who I’ll meet with today?” Wendy piped up. “Oh, I can’t hold it in any longer--NIKI!”

 

Joohyun laughed. “You didn’t even let me guess!”

 

“I’m sorry!” Wendy said excitedly. “I’m freaking out right now! I’ve had the biggest crush on her for like the longest time!”

 

“Aw, I wish I could’ve been there to see you stammer incoherently in front of your crush.” Joohyun teased.

 

Wendy laughed. “So, listen. I'll probably be at the studio all day. I’m sorry if I won’t be able to check in. My producer doesn’t really let me use my phone because it keeps me distracted.”

 

“Oh, that’s fine, love.” Joohyun said. “I wouldn’t want to get in the way.”

 

“I’ll be thinking about you, though.” Wendy whispered. “Although, not as much as I’ll be thinking about Miss Nicole Zefanya—”

 

“!” Joohyun laughed. “I’ll talk to you tomorrow, then. Fix your smile when you’re taking a picture with Niki, I know you’ll probably want to have it framed.”

 

“You bet I will!” Wendy laughed too.

 

“Good luck, Wan.” Joohyun said softly.

 

“Thanks, Hyun. It’s 5 am and I love you.”

 

Joohyun smiled.

 

“It’s 7 pm and I love you.”

 

 

***

 

“I love you.” Joohyun squeezed her hand. “It’s going to be okay.”

 

Seulgi just nodded as they entered the private room on the rooftop of the restaurant.

 

“Princess.” Her father greeted her.

 

Seulgi bowed and Joohyun did the same.

 

“How have you been?” Seulgi’s father regarded her as the two sat down.

 

“I have been well, Abeonim.” Seulgi answered. Joohyun noticed how Seulgi was suddenly sitting straighter and even speaking a little more differently.

 

She knew this going in when they talked about Joohyun meeting Seulgi’s father but seeing it in the flesh made Joohyun’s stomach twist into uncomfortable knots. Seulgi’s father was terrifying and even Seulgi was afraid of him.

 

“And who is this lovely woman that you brought to our dinner?” Seulgi’s father smiled at Joohyun but she did not feel at ease. In fact, she felt the exact opposite.

 

“Uh, this is Bae Joohyun, Abeonim.” Seulgi hesitated. “My.. my girlfriend.”

 

Seulgi’s father just nodded.

 

Joohyun squeezed Seulgi’s hand underneath the table, glad that the worst was over since Seulgi’s father made no comments about the declaration. However, she slid out from Joohyun’s hold and Seulgi’s hand laid curled at her own leg the duration of the meal.

 

Seulgi’s father occasionally asked Joohyun some things about herself such as where she went to college, her job, her parents, and Joohyun tried her best to answer the best way she could. Aside from that, all they talked about was business, although they kept it pretty vague.

 

At the end of the dinner, Seulgi’s father turned to her.

 

“This has been quite lovely, Joohyun. But would you mind if I kept Seulgi around for a little while longer? I’m afraid we have some more business to discuss.”

 

Joohyun looked at Seulgi uncertainly. She can tell she was being dismissed but if Seulgi asked her to stay, she wouldn’t hesitate to do so.

 

But Seulgi was determinedly looking straight ahead, her bottom lip slightly quivering.

 

“I’ll see you later, Joohyun.” Seulgi said.

 

Joohyun noticed that Seulgi didn’t say ‘home’.

 

***

 

 

“Are you sure this is where you wanted to eat?” Joohyun looked around as she and Seulgi walked by Han River, store-bought instant ramen in their hands.

 

“Okay,” Seulgi laughed. “This isn’t where I originally planned to go, but it’s a nice night. The sky is clear and it’s not too cold.”

 

“But we were so dressed up.” Joohyun grumbled. “If I had known, I would’ve just worn a hoodie.”

 

“Don’t worry, the night’s still young.” Seulgi shrugged. “We can go somewhere fancy later, if you want.”

 

Joohyun looked at Seulgi. When the latter proposed they ditch their reservations and instead go to the convenience store they used to frequent back when they were together, Joohyun started to have doubts about Seulgi’s plans for the night.

 

But she shrugged it off, thinking that Seulgi was just probably feeling nostalgic since they only started talking properly again after five years.

 

Even as they finished their ramen, they kept walking along Han River, talking and laughing about the memories they made when they were together.

 

Joohyun had to admit that it felt nice to come back to their favorite places and reminisce about their lives when they were younger.

 

“I can’t believe I used to dye my hair.” Seulgi cringed. “Remember when I kept switching from blonde to orange? And not even the cool kind of orange. BRIGHT ORANGE!”

 

Joohyun laughed heartily. “How could I forget? You convinced me to dye my hair too!”

 

“What?” Seulgi’s eyes bulged. “You looked great as a blonde!”

 

“I did not!” Joohyun tugged at her hair. “It was painful. I never dyed my hair after that, I was honestly traumatized.”

 

They stopped walking because Seulgi tucked a stray lock of hair behind Joohyun’s ear.

 

“Well, you look beautiful like this, too.”

 

Joohyun blushed and she quickly started walking again. “Let’s go, I’m getting cold.”

 

 

 

 

The next thing did was go to a noraebang.

 

“Aw, I miss Sooyoung and Yeri!” Joohyun griped.

 

“I don’t.” Seulgi chortled. “Those two used to hog the microphone.”

 

“Oh, yeah!” Joohyun giggled. “Remember that one time we got kicked out because Sooyoung and Yeri kept fighting over the microphone to see who gets to sing first and they broke the thing in half? Where was that place again?”

 

“Where do you think we are right now?” Seulgi smirked.

 

Joohyun’s eyes widened. “What?”

 

Seulgi laughed as Joohyun looked frantically around. “Do you think they remember us?”

 

“Come on, Joohyun!” Seulgi’s eyes disappeared into crescents. “That was a thousand years ago. They don’t remember us.”

 

But as the manager came down to the room to assist them, he shot them a furtive look that lingered just long enough that even Seulgi felt a bit nervous.

 

“Okay, so maybe they remember us.”

 

 

 

 

They left without finishing the rest of the hour they paid for after Joohyun spotted the manager calling down the owner and pointing at their room.

 

Again, the two set off into the night and they decided to go to the nearest club to have a drink.

 

“Really?” Joohyun looked at Seulgi skeptically. “We’re going clubbing? We’re almost 30, Seulgi.”

 

“Why not?” Seulgi pouted. “You know, you’ve been crapping all over my ideas the whole night. Let’s see you come up with something to do then. You’re in charge.”

 

Joohyun smiled at Seulgi’s sulky face and she gave in.

 

“All right.” Joohyun grabbed her hand and dragged her inside.

 

“Okay,” Seulgi laughed nervously. “It’s a little more crowded than what I anticipated. How about we just get a drink and bounce?”

 

“No, no, no.” Joohyun wagged a finger in her face. “You said I was in charge. We’re not going to drink.”

 

Seulgi looked at her incredulously. “Then what the hell are we going to do here?”

 

Joohyun gestured to the dancefloor.

 

“Let’s dance!”

 

 

 

 

Joohyun and Seulgi laughed as they jumped up and down to the beat, not giving a care about how they looked. It was like they were transported back to the good old days when they just started dating; just a bunch of 20 somethings, still figuring out what they wanted to do in life.

 

An assortment of tipsy guys and girls approached them, asking for a dance, offering to buy them a drink, even daring them to make out and they just laughed each time.

 

“Oh God,” Seulgi shook her head as they rejected another half-drunk yuppie asking to join them for a shot. “Were we that and stupid when we were younger?”

 

“Probably?” Joohyun shrugged. “But they’re much braver now, I’ll give them that.”

 

“Or drunker?” Seulgi suggested.

 

“Way drunker.” Joohyun agreed.

 

The techno beats transitioned to a smoother, slower jam and as more people filled the dance floor to bump and grind against each other, Joohyun suddenly found herself pressed up against Seulgi too close to her liking.

 

“Uhm,” Seulgi didn’t know where to put her hands so she just settled on Joohyun’s waist.

 

“We should probably..” Joohyun trailed off because Seulgi was so close, she could see the glint in Seulgi’s eyes and the moist of her lips.

 

Seulgi's eyes kept darting back and forth between Joohyun's eyes and lips, as if pleading if she could close the distance between them. Joohyun felt herself move and Seulgi followed suit. The distance between them was about an inch away and Joohyun was completely caught in the heat of the moment.

 

She closed her eyes and let her body move on its own but just like always, Joohyun's mind took over.

 

Wendy's lovely face popped into her head and she abruptly stopped.

 

Joohyun blinked frantically. “L-let’s go, Seulgi. It’s getting too crowded in here.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

They stood side by side at the elevator to Joohyun’s hotel room.

 

Seulgi shifted her feet uncomfortably while Joohyun’s mind was polluted with thoughts of Wendy and Seulgi. She hated herself for even wanting to kiss Seulgi but she was so confused why she even felt that way.

 

When she left, Joohyun promised herself never to love Seulgi ever again. Seulgi broke her heart and she was never the same after.

 

Wendy was perfect. Joohyun couldn’t imagine being back on her feet if it weren’t for Wendy so she really, really wanted to kick herself for not telling Seulgi she had a girlfriend from the very start.

 

Joohyun guessed that a very small, selfish part of her just wanted to see if her heart still felt something for Seulgi.

 

She wanted confirmation that she was absolutely sure about Wendy, that if she saw what she thought was the love of her life after five long years, she’d feel nothing but affable nostalgia.

 

 Then Joohyun would have closure.

 

And she’ll finally be able to give her all to Wendy, to sweet and perfect Wendy, who Joohyun was sure would never break her heart in a million years the way Seulgi broke her heart to a million pieces.

 

Joohyun can finally close the chapter of her life that was Seulgi. It was bliss, it was intense, and most importantly, it was real. It was one for the books but not all great stories have happy endings.

 

Joohyun just wanted to know if she’s doing the right thing, finally letting go of Seulgi.

 

Because she was planning to propose to Wendy once she got back to Canada.

 

She just needed to be sure.

 

 

***

 

"Are you sure?” Joohyun asked again as she squeezed her hand under the table once more.

 

“Yes.” Seulgi said through gritted teeth. “Go. Now, please.”

 

Joohyun nodded and she stood up. She bowed at Seulgi’s father and thanked him for the meal.

 

As Seulgi watched Joohyun walk away, her father laid down the glass of whisky he’s been drinking.

 

“Princess.”

 

Seulgi braced herself. She was 10 when she last heard her father call her Princess lovingly and not patronizingly.

 

“Abeonim,” Seulgi started. She had to get brave. For Joohyun. “I know what you’re going to say.”

 

“If you already know, then why must you make me repeat it time and time again?”

 

Seulgi closed her fist underneath the table once more. “Because this is not a phase. I keep telling you time and time again, I am gay.”

 

Seulgi took a deep breath. “And I’m in love with Joohyun.”

 

Her father shook her head. “You always say that, Princess. When you were a teenager, your mother and I let you lark around with that Kim Jisoo for years and look what has happened?”

 

“She broke up with me because her father threatened to leave her out of his will?” Seulgi laughed humorlessly. “I know what really happened, Father. She told me.”

 

Seulgi shook her head. “Honestly, I think the only reason you didn’t forbid me from dating her was because she came from a powerful family and you didn’t want to disrupt your business circle. Because that’s all I ever was, right? Just a pawn in your empire that you strategically maneuver whenever it suits you.”

 

“Stop this foolishness now, Princess.” Her father thundered down. “I cannot let this go on any longer. You’re almost 25. You should be taking on a major role in the company by now.”

 

“I told you, I don’t want to run YOUR company.” Seulgi said the word like it disgusted her. “I never did.”

 

“And yet you indulge in MY profits, the benefits from MY fruits of labor, MY money!” Her father was angry now and Seulgi was silenced because it was true.

 

If you don’t want to have to do anything with the family business, then you have no business reaping the harvest of my work.” Her father said scathingly.

 

“Now, I will say this one last time, Seulgi.” She winced because her father said her name threateningly. “You will take over the business and when the time comes, you will marry a man that I shall approve of.”

 

“No. I want to be with Joohyun!” Seulgi shouted. “I don’t want to marry any of your stupid partners’ obnoxious sons! I want to marry Joohyun. And I want to pursue my passion, not take over your empire.”

 

“Do whatever you want, for all I care.” Her father waved a hand lazily. “But you will never get my money.”

 

He took a drink and set it down gently.

 

“You are still such a child, Seulgi. You’re not thinking ahead. Try to imagine a life with that girl if I cut you off. You will be broke and jobless, because your useless art degree will surely fizzle out in a year. And one day you will wake up, full of regret. If you really loved this Bae Joohyun, you would want a better future for her too.”

 

“I’m not saying that you need to break things off with her right away,” Her father swirled the glass and drank the rest of his whisky. “But eventually, you have to come to terms with the fact that you don’t have a future together. You’re a grown up now, surely you must know that your so-called ‘love’ won’t pay the bills, put food in your mouths, or provide a roof over your heads. The sooner you realize that, the sooner you can put this behind you.”

 

***

 

 

“So..” Seulgi smiled awkwardly. “I had fun.”

 

“Me too.” Joohyun bit her lip.

 

“Thanks again for the meal.”

 

“Seulgi,” Joohyun rolled her eyes. “It was a cup of ramen.”

 

“Still.” Seulgi chuckled nervously. “Unless.. unless you wanted to buy me a drink?”

 

Joohyun looked at her.

 

“We never had one back at the club, you know..” Seulgi trailed off because it brought them back to the memory of their almost-kiss.

 

“Fine.” Joohyun said just to get rid of the awkwardness. “Come on in.”

 

 

 

 

“You ever considered just.. renting an apartment?” Seulgi asked.

 

The two were in their fourth glass and the conversation had (to Joohyun’s relief) been light and mostly about work. She struggled to find an opening to insert that she was dating someone but it never came.

 

“I’m not planning to stay here for long,” Joohyun shrugged. “What’s the point?”

 

“Oh.” Seulgi’s face fell. “But, Sooyoung told me you were back.”

 

“Yes.” Joohyun nodded. “But not for good.”

 

And Joohyun finally found her opportunity to disclose her relationship status.

 

She downed her glass in one go and closed her eyes as she rehearsed how to tell Seulgi she was in a serious relationship.

 

 But Seulgi suddenly stood up and walked towards her and when Joohyun opened her eyes, Seulgi grabbed her waist and kissed her.

 

Joohyun had principles.

 

But principles went out the window that very moment as she was flooded with the memories. And feelings. And Seulgi.

 

Seulgi.

 

Seulgi who she hadn’t spoken to in five years.

 

Seulgi who said no to her the night she proposed.

 

Seulgi who broke her heart.

 

Seulgi who was the reason why she left Korea.

 

Seulgi who was on her mind when she bumped into Wendy and spilled tea on her shirt that fateful day five years ago.

 

Wendy..

 

Wendy who had been her rock as she tried to get over the break up.

 

Wendy who kissed her three years ago while they were watching the meteor shower.

 

Wendy who whispered ‘I love you’ after dedicating a self-composed song for her.

 

Wendy who she was planning on proposing to in a matter of months.

 

Wendy.

 

Joohyun’s eyes fluttered open and she moved away from Seulgi, stopping the kiss that was just about to get deeper.

 

“What’s wrong?” Seulgi panted as Joohyun walked away and clutched her head. “Joohyun?”

 

“No.” Joohyun said again and again as she pulled at her hair.

 

“What’s wrong?” Seulgi pleaded and she stood in front of Joohyun, cradling her face. “Please tell me.”

 

“I can’t—I can’t do this.” Joohyun took a deep breath. “God, I’m such a horrible person.”

 

“What?” Seulgi asked. “You’re not. Please talk to me.”

 

“I’m a horrible person.” Joohyun moaned. “I’m sorry.”

 

“For what?” Seulgi asked.

 

“I can’t do this, Seulgi.”

 

“Joohyun..” Seulgi whispered. “I still love you.”

 

"I'm sorry that I kissed you, but you said you won't be back for good.. And I just couldn't take it."

 

She took Joohyun’s hands and willed her to look into her eyes. “I still love you. And I’ve been such a fool.”

 

“Remember five years ago? When I didn’t choose you? When I said no because--because I was afraid? I asked you if you would be okay if we had no money and were struggling—”

 

“And I said we’d make it work.” Joohyun answered as she remembered the bitter memory.

 

“And I was—I was scared..” Seulgi said in a small voice. “Of losing what I had, of trying to be on my own.. But look at me now, Joohyun.”

 

 Seulgi kissed both of Joohyun’s trembling hands. “Well, now it’s five years later, and I got my dream job. And I’m out of my father’s control. And I’m.. I’m ready. I’m finally ready, Joohyun.”

 

Seulgi looked at Joohyun with tears in her eyes. “I want you to marry me. I want to have babies with you. Because I still love you. I love you so much.”

 

Joohyun looked at Seulgi, lips quivering, eyes filled with tears, and she wanted to give in.

 

All she wanted was for Seulgi to fight for them. To fight for her. To tell her that everything’s going to be okay. To assure her that they’d do everything in their power to make it work, because they loved each other. To promise her that they’d build a future together.

 

Joohyun wanted all of that, and Seulgi finally did everything she asked for.

 

 

 

But she was five years too late.

 

 

 

“Seulgi.” Joohyun’s voice cracked. “I’m sorry.”

 

“But the answer is no.”

 

 

***

 

 

“No?” Joohyun wasn’t sure if she heard it right. “What do you mean, ‘no’?”

 

Seulgi looked in despair as tears fell from her eyes. “I’m so sorry, Joohyun.”

 

“Is this—Is this a joke?” Joohyun asked shakily. “Because if it is, it’s a seriously bad o—“

 

“Joohyun.” Seulgi grabbed her hands, closing the box that contained the engagement ring Joohyun carefully picked out several weeks ago. “Let’s talk about this.”

 

“Let’s talk about this?” Joohyun felt her ears ringing.

 

“Please, please listen first.” Seulgi said as she sobbed.

 

“You don’t want to marry me?” Joohyun’s voice sounded so faraway because her ears were still ringing.

 

“Baby, it’s not that simple.”

 

“What?” Joohyun asked. “It’s not that simple? Seulgi, I asked you one question: ‘Will you marry me?’. There are literally two answers for that. There’s nothing simpler than that.”

 

“Okay.” Seulgi pressed her lips together as she tried to stop the tears from falling. “My answer is no. I’m so sorry.”

 

“Can I—Can I ask why?” Joohyun felt something hot and wet on her cheeks and she brought a hand up. She was surprised to see that she was crying too. But everything just felt surreal and her ears haven’t stopped ringing.

 

“Let me ask you a question.” Seulgi managed to say after a fit of sobs engulfed her. “Would you—would you be okay, being my wife, raising a—a family with me,” Another sob escaped her. “Even if we were broke? If I was out of a job? If—If I didn’t have any money?”

 

“What?” Joohyun couldn’t believe she was saying no over this. “This was about money?”

 

“No! It’s not just about money!” Seulgi whimpered. “It’s about.. everything in my life.”

 

“I haven’t even made something for myself. And I’ve been living off of my parents’ fortunes all my life. If I marry you, everything will be taken away. I’d have nothing. You’d have nothing. I just—I don’t think I can handle that.”

 

“Baby,” Joohyun closed the distance between them. “I would marry you, and have kids with you, and live a whole eternity with you even if we had nothing. We can make it work. I know we can.”

 

“It’s not that simple.” Seulgi exclaimed. “Joohyun, we’d be giving up many things.”

 

“What things?” Joohyun yelled. “I’d give up everything for you, Seulgi!”

 

“You said you wanted to see the world. Make a statement in the fashion industry!” Seulgi was shouting now. “You said you wanted to live in a huge house, drive a fancy car, and be able to do and buy whatever you wanted! If you marry me, you’d never have those things!”

 

“But none of that matters!” Joohyun bellowed. “Nothing matters if you’re not with me!”

 

“You’re not thinking clearly, Joohyun!” Seulgi retaliated. “Don’t get caught up in this—this fantasy that—”

 

“That what?” Joohyun screeched. “That I love you enough to weather anything thrown our way?”

 

“That love is enough. Because it isn’t.” Seulgi’s eyes were filled with sorrow.

 

“How can you say that?” Joohyun cried out. “After all this time, why don’t you want to fight for us?”

 

“Because it’s a fight we’ve already lost.” Seulgi closed her eyes. “It’s hard, but I’ve come to terms with it.”

 

“Well I haven’t!”

 

“Please, Joohyun.” Seulgi pleaded again. “This is for your own sake too.”

 

“Please,” Joohyun dropped down on her knees. “Don’t say no, Seulgi. I love you.”

 

Seulgi knelt with her. “I love you, Joohyun. But I can’t.”

 

“I think we should break up, Joohyun.”

 

 

 

*** 

 

 

 

 

“I have someone.. back in Canada.” Joohyun said in a hollow voice. “Wendy.”

 

Seulgi felt like she was hit by a truck.

 

“W-what?”

 

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you sooner, but we’re in a serious relationship.” Joohyun felt her tears threatening to fall but she pressed on. “She’s good for me.”

 

“Wendy’s perfect. She makes me happy, Seulgi.”

 

“But—but in the club..”

 

“I got carried away.” Joohyun hung her head. “But I’m glad nothing happened.”

 

“Then why did you kiss me back?” Seulgi asked, another wave of tears falling down her face.

 

“It was a mistake. I’m sorry, Seulgi.” Joohyun sobbed. “I’m sorry for getting your hopes up.”

 

Seulgi was quiet for several moments as she tried to digest everything that was dropped down on her.

 

“Do you love her?”

 

Joohyun finally looked up and saw that Seulgi had a resigned expression on her face.

 

“I love her.”

 

“More than—than you ever loved me?” Seulgi whimpered.

 

Joohyun smiled sadly. “I’ll never love anyone as much as I loved you.”

 

She walked over to where Seulgi sat and planted a soft kiss on her forehead.

 

“But it’s time I let you go.”

 

“Okay.” Seulgi looked heartbroken. “Okay.”

 

“Seulgi,” Joohyun said through her tears. “I’m proud of you. I’m proud of the person you’ve become. I’m happy that you finally had the guts to stand up for yourself and take control of your own life. I’m always going to be cheering for you, please remember that.”

 

“And I’m always going to love you.” Joohyun added as she smiled. “No matter what.”

 

“I’m always going to love you too.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Several weeks later, Joohyun found herself staring at the hotel room she called home for a long time. She smiled as she remembered all the bittersweet memories in the room: the sleepless nights, the night Yeri and Sooyoung slept over and ordered everything from the menu, the night Jennie and her got drunk on champagne, the night she kissed Seulgi..

 

She heaved a sigh. She really wished to say goodbye for one last time, but she figured she shouldn’t tempt fate anymore. She got the closure she needed and she hoped everything will work out fine in the end.

 

Who knows? Maybe I’ll come back here in another five years.

 

Joohyun stepped out of the room and her feet bumped into a small box on the floor with her name on it. She reached down and shook out the contents. A letter fell out, along with a key, and a ring box.

 

The engagement ring she gave to Seulgi.

 

A myriad of emotions threatened to take over Joohyun and she opened the letter with fumbling fingers.

 

My dear Joohyun,

 

I know you’re leaving today, Sooyoung and Yeri told me. I hope you don’t get mad at them for telling me. I have no plans to go to the airport and declare my undying love anyway. I think we’re way past the point of grand romantic gestures, but I just had to make a last one.

 

I’m returning your engagement ring, as you probably have seen by the time you read this letter. I realized that I’ve kept it all these years because when you left, you left everything behind. I just wanted you to know that I kept all of your things in a storage unit and I gave you a key. Just in case you decided to change your mind and come back home. Here with me.

 

I’m not saying that you should, I’m just saying that I’ll wait for you. I swear I’m not trying to win you back or steal you from Wendy, because I’m pretty sure she’s an awesome girl who will be able to love you and take care of you in ways I wasn’t able to.

 

I met up with Jennie and Lisa a few weeks ago, to apologize for hurting you and also to congratulate them on the wedding. In the end, they forgave me and Lisa even invited me to the wedding(I think Jennie was still pretty pissed, though) so I guess we’ll see each other then, if I decide to come. By the way, she also let slip that you’re planning to propose to Wendy when you get back. Again, I hope you don’t get mad at her for telling me. I just wanted to wish you luck and I hope it goes well.

 

But if it doesn’t, know that I’ll still be waiting for you.

 

I don’t know whether this will just bring more confusion or if this is the confirmation you needed to know for sure that Wendy is the one. But whatever you decide, I’ll be fine with it. During our relationship, it was always about what I wanted and sadly, even in our unfortunate breakup, I was still the one who decided. Now, I’m giving you freedom to choose whatever your heart desired, because that’s how it should be. That’s how it should have been with me.

 

I know I wasn’t perfect, but I truly hope I was able to make you happy in the time we spent together. I hope you didn’t regret it, because I surely didn’t. In fact, if I had to do it all over again, even if it meant losing everything, and losing you, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

 

I wish you luck in everything, baby. You’re meant for greater things; you always have been. I long for the day that I can witness you shine, even if I have to do it from afar.

 

For now, that’s all I have to say. I wish you the best of all this world could give.

 

I’m always going to love you, Joohyun.

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        -KSG

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Seulgi fiddled nervously with her dress as they waited.

 

“Stop fidgeting.” Yeri slapped her arm lightly.

 

“Yeah, you’re gonna ruin that dress with your sweating.” Sooyoung whispered on her other side.

 

“I can’t help it, okay?” Seulgi whispered back.

 

“So,” Yeri smirked. “Sooyoung, you planning on paying me a thousand bucks?”

 

“What?” Sooyoung’s eyes widened. “For what?”

 

“When I bet you that they’d end up together!” Yeri snickered.

 

“Did we make that bet?” Sooyoung asked.

 

“Hmm. Let’s say we did.” Yeri shrugged.

 

“Shut up, both of you! She’s here.” Seulgi whispered.

 

The church was filled with the chords of the piano as the wedding entourage made their way through the aisle.

 

Seulgi gulped as soon as she saw Joohyun looking as beautiful as ever.

 

Their eyes met and Joohyun gave her a wide smile.

 

Seulgi felt her heart skip a beat.