Just Enough

Just Enough
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Just as the dawn ushers in a new day, there is a moment when life fades into death. 

 

For some, such a moment is crucial. It is the fleeting moment when a person on the brink of life and death holds on long enough for loved ones to say goodbye. Not everyone has the privilege of this moment, as for some death is unexpectedly swift.

 

It's in this threshold of life and death that they meet. 

 

 

... vitals are weakening. ... nearly time.

 

Everything is foggy when she opens her eyes. The surrounding sounds are fuzzy and muffled. She turns her eyes to her bedside, where she sees machines blinking and beeping. There is something that sounds like a sob from the foot of her bed, where she turns to see figures moving about. 

 

... on their way, doctor. ... say goodbye. 

 

And amidst the confusion, there is clarity.

 

A pale young man with solemn eyes looks at her from her bedside. There is a small but kind smile on his face when their eyes meet. 

 

"Hello," he says. His appearance is like any other young man that she may have come across on the street, but something is mystifying about his presence, like an ethereal pull surrounding him. 

 

"Is it... am I dead?" she can still faintly hear the conversation happening in the background, but it slowly grows more unclear. Snippets of conversation have turned into muddled sounds with only every few words understandable. 

 

The young man shakes his head once. "No, but I'm afraid your time is near."

 

"Are you the angel of death sent to get me?"

 

He gives her another smile. "Not quite. I'm here to be with you in the meantime."

 

She didn't quite understand, but she nodded. "Can I... can I say goodbye? I can't go without saying goodbye." 

 

"Of course, that's why I'm here." he reaches out to her and offers his hand. 

 

Her hand lifts to reciprocate, but she hesitates. 

 

Understanding is on his face. "I am an angel of life if you will. I'm here to lend you the strength to keep holding on... so that you can say goodbye. You may call me Kyungsoo."

 

Tentatively, she raises her hand to his still waiting one. She shudders with relief when she feels a small surge of strength flow through her at the contact. 

 

"T-thank you."

 

He smiles agai

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter