I LOVE YOU, HYUN (FINAL)

THE TRUTH UNTOLD
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A beautiful young woman in a yellow dress looking at a beautiful bride slightly shorter than her with a soft eyes. The bride look so pretty in her white wedding dress. She looks like a princess who waiting for her prince charming to come at her while riding a white horse, like a character in a fairy tale that always potray in children book.

"Seulgi-ya, how is it?" , the beautiful bride at her front asked while she turning around to show off her dress. 

Seulgi softly chuckles. "You look gorgeous, Hyun. Like always", she replied with her sweetest voice. She flash her smiles and her eyes turn to crescent shape. 

Bae Joohyun. Her Hyun. Her bestfriend of life. Her saviour. Her Story. And...her LOVE.

You look so pretty, exactly like the first time I met you. She thought inside her silent mind. 

FLASHBACK 20 YEARS AGO

It was a beautiful day. Sky was so clear and look so high. Sky look so free from any cloud covering it. 

Seulgi sit on an empty bench with a book in her hand. She purposely choose a bench under a huge tree for her reading session that evening. Seulgi is different from other kids around her age. She loves book than playing with other kids. Book is a way to avoid talking to others which she really hate and she want to avoid it at any cost. 

She can hear other kids laughing and shouting playing with each other at the field not far from where she sit. After few hours of reading, she lift up her head and look at a flower garden in front her. Her attention laid on a little girl around her age who currently staring at her with her doe eyes. She quickly divert her eyes to her book again when their eyes meet for few seconds. She start reading again.

She can hear footsteps approaching her. She don't want to pay any attention to it and remain reading her book. The footstep stop in front of her when she see a pair of purple shoe in front of her just behind the book which she currently read. She ignore the presence. She can see that pair of shoe walking besides her and someone sit at empty spot besides her. She remain quiet. 

"What do you read?", the voice besides her spoke up. Too close to her left ear. 

Seulgi flinch and turn to her left and saw a girl looking at her with a wide smile. It was the same girl she saw previously. She scooted to her right to create some space between them. She not familiar talking to others especially stranger. She look down again to her book and continue her reading session.

"I asked, what do you read?", the girl asked again. Seulgi ignore her once again. Didn't bother to answer her. 

Seulgi can saw the girl swinging her leg to front and back from the corner of her eyes. Maybe she is bored since Seulgi ghosting her. 

It was silence for few minutes before the girl spoke again "Why are you here alone?", she asked. Legs still swinging back and forth. Seulgi really feel uncomfortable now. This girl has so much question. 

"Don't you have any friend?" she asked again. Trying to have a conversation with Seulgi. Seulgi sigh and  attempt to rose up from her seat to leave the girl but the girl faster than her. She jump in front of Seulgi before Seulgi manage to stand up. 

"Do you wanna be my friend?" she innocently asked. Seulgi just look at her after she suprised by the girl action just now.

"I'm Joohyun", she added and extending her right hand. She smile so brightly and it can blind Seulgi eyes from the brightness. Seulgi didn't say anything and remain seated. 

The girl turn her head around when she hear someone called for her.

"Hyun-ah".

Seulgi saw a woman walking besides the Director approaching them.

Seulgi take this chance to leave the scene but she can hear conversation between the girl and the one who called her. 

"Let's go home Hyun"

"But mum..."

-----

Few days later

Seulgi sit at her favourite spot again today. It was a peaceful day so she start her reading session. Today she read her 5th book for that week. Usually it takes around a day or two for Seulgi for finish reading a book. It quite fast since she only focus her attention on her books. 

"There you are again", her focus disturbed by a voice not far from where she sit.

She lift up her head towards the voice. She saw the same girl from previous days ago running towards her with her huge smile. She look so happy when she saw Seulgi. She stop few steps in front the lonely girl. 

"Why you run away that day? You haven't answer me yet", she said.

Today she wear a different pair of shoe but with the same color, PURPLE. She must like purple so much.

Seulgi ignore her question. She close her book and just like days ago, she decided to leave the girl again. She rose up from her seat and attempt to leave the scene but stopped when the girl suddenly speak again. 

"Where are you going Seulgi-ya?" 

Seulgi suprised and turn her head to the girl. "How do you know my name?", she asked with her eyes widened still in suprised. She didn't recall introducing herself to this girl before. 

She scratching her unitchy cheek and grin. "I asked Aunt for your name", she replied. Still grinning. 

"Aunt?", the lonely girl asked in confusion.

"Yes, Aunt Sunmi. She is this orphanage Director", she innocently said. 

Director Lee is her Aunt?

"Aunt Sunmi is my mother cousin" , she grin.

Seulgi didn't say anything and proceed walking again. The same girl following her from behind. Seulgin quicken her steps and the girl do the same. She was following her until Seulgi abruptly stop and turn around to face the girl. 

"Why you following me? What do you want?" , she pissed. Really uncomfortable now. This girl is disturbing her since few days ago. 

"I wanna be your friend. Let's be friend", the girl smiled.

-----

PRESENT

Waiting room door opened from the outside and Seulgi see her three friends walking inside the room with their noisy voice. They always so noisy and Seulgi had adjusted with that. 

"Where's the bride?" said Joy, the tallest among them. She also the second noisiest among them. 

"Wow eonni, you look so pretty" said Yeri, the youngest among them. Also the noisiest among them. The evil maknae.

Three of them walking towards Joohyun who currently sitting in front of mirror where her make up artist helping fixing her make up and her veil. Joohyun so excited seeing her friends. She rose up from her seat and hugging her friends. 

"Wow Irene, you look so pretty", Seungwan , the blonde said with her canadian accent. 

She pull out her phone from her purse to take some memorable photo with the bride. Joohyun and the other two gather around Seungwan. 

The blonde turn to Seulgi who still didn't move towards them, "Seulgi, what are you doing there? Come here. Let's take picture together", she said. 

Seulgi make her way towards her friends. She stand behind them. 

Seungwan adjusting her phone to make sure all of them are in the frame. "You are too behind Seul. Yeri, come besides me. You stand besides Irene, Seul", she said. The evil maknae step forward and stand besides the blonde and Seulgi stand besides Joohyun. 

"Perfect", Seungwan said. "Okay guys, say Kimchiiii", the blonde said and all of them giving their best smile.

CAPTURE.

______

20 YEARS AGO

"I wanna be your friend. Let's be friend" , Joohyun said. She stretch out her hand. She smile ear to ear. 

Seulgi didn't response nor take the other girl hand. She only stares at the other girl tiny stretched hand.

"Faster Seulgi-ya, my hand hurt", the slightly shorter girl whines when Seulgi still didn't response after almost 2 minutes. 

The orphan swat Joohyun's hand away with her book and said "Go away, I don't want be your friend. I don't like you", before she running away leaving Joohyun alone. 

Seulgi run as fast as she can to her shared room. She breathing so hard when she reach her room. She sit on her bed. 

I wanna be your friend. Let's be friend, Joohyun words playing inside her mind.

"I don't need anybody", she muttered. 

Meanwhile, Joohyun stares at her hand which swatted by Seulgi earlier. She was hurt by the orphan action. She really want to be her friend because she look so lonely. Her mother always told her to treat everyone equally and be kind to everyone, so that, everyone will be kind to her too. But why Seulgi said she doesn't like her when she try to befriend her and be kind to her? Did she do something wrong to her to make her so angry at Joohyun? Did Seulgi hate her? Joohyun crouch and hugging her knees near her chest. Little that she know, tears start flowing down from her eyes. She cried. 

Seulgi watching at Joohyun through window from her room. She see Director Lee hugging the 'purple' girl and she drag the little girl with her to somewhere else and they disappear from her sight.

TOMORROW

Seulgi still sitting at her favourite bench. She is very sure that the other girl will never show up before her anymore. But deep inside her heart, she want to apologize to the girl because of her words yesterday. She feel guilt for spatted that harsh words to her. Seulgi is a quiet girl but she is not rude. She know she need to apologise if she do something wrong. She call it responsibility. 

She read her book while waiting for the other girl in case she still has some gut to show up again. But the purple girl still didn't show up after 1 hour passed. So she wait for another hour. Still, she didn't show up after another hours. 

Maybe she give up and decide to never come here anymore, her silent mind said.

It's almost 4 at the evening and Seulgi decide to head back to her room to get some rest before tonight dinner. She close her book and rose up from the bench. She walk towards the dormitary building. Her steps stop when her eyes catch a familiar figure of a little girl at the front of the building. Joohyun is crouching there in her favourite color dress. She is playing with the hem of her dress. She look bored and Seulgi don't know how long she had been staying there.

Joohyun look up and she see Seulgi standing few meters from her. Staring at her. The purple girl stand in her full height and stares at the orphan. She suddenly remember her conversation with her Aunt Sunmi yesterday. 

Flashback 24 Hours Prior

"What are you doing here, Hyun?", the older woman asked when she saw her niece crouching and staring at the ground. 

Joohyun lift her head and immediately hug her aunt. She crying so hard. 

Director Lee suprised when she saw her crying niece. She immediately embracing the little girl and patting her back gently. She slowly take Joohyun with her until they reach at the same bench where Joohyun met Seulgi for the first time. The little girl now has calm down after she crying for a good almost 15 minutes. She wipes her tears with her back hand. 

Director Lee look at her niece. "Care to share with me?", she asked softly.

The little girl remain silent. She only look at the ground. 

The older woman smile. "Seulgi is a good girl. She's a bit different from other kids, but she is a good girl", she utter carefully.

She actually saw her niece followed the quiet girl earlier before she found the crying Joohyun. 

Joohyun turn to her aunt. She want to ask something. She really eager to ask. 

"You want to ask something?", the orphanage Director asked. 

Joohyun nodded.

"Why she's here? My mom said this is a place for kids who doesn't have parents", she innocently asked. 

Director Lee smile before she open , "Seulgi parents passed away when she was 6 year old. After that she staying with her relative before they send her here after 1 year. She already here since 2 years ago. As you can see, she always alone. I think she purposely build a wall between her and other kids. It feels like she want to defend herself from others. Do you want to be her friend, Hyun?", she calmly said. 

Joohyun cry again after she hear about Seulgi's parents and how did she end up here.

End of Flashback.

Seulgi walk towards the purple girl. She has no choice since she need to past the girl if she want to go to her room. She stop in front of her. 

"What are you doing here?", she bluntly asked. "I told you that I don't--", Seulgi words cut off when she feel a hand wrap around her body. Joohyun is hugging her. 

"I love you Seulgi", the shorter girl said. 

Seulgi breath hitched. Joohyun confession really suprised her.  Joohyun is just a little kid like her. But she said she love Seulgi.

"I love you Seulgi. Be my friend and I will always love you. I will never leave you", she said while crying.

Joohyun know that feeling when you hear someone said they love you. She always feel so good when her mother said that she love her. She feel safe and she feel happy. She will feel calm and stop crying everytime her parents said that they love her. She want Seulgi to feel that feeling too. She want Seulgi to feel happy when she hear someone said they love her. She want her to feel loved. 

Seulgi didn't say anything. Love. She never hear that words again after her parents passed away. It's been a long time since someone said that they love her. Seulgi wonder how that simple one word so powerful and it succeed in breaking Seulgi huge and thick wall around her heart and bring her into tears, together with the purple girl. She feel loved again and it's because of Joohyun. 

______

PRESENT

"Are you nervous?", Seulgi softly asked the bride. 

"A bit", Joohyun replied, fidgeting with her hands. 

Seulgi saw that and gently hold the other woman's hand. "It's okay. Everything will be fine. You're so pretty today. Don't ruin that with your nervous face. Smile", the taller said and smile until her eyes turn to crescent moon. 

Joohyun smile. "Thanks Seulgi-ya. You always know how to make me calm". She hold Seulgi's hand back. "I love you", the bride said. 

Seulgi stares into Joohyun eyes deeply before she replied, "I love you too, Hyun". 

------

13 YEARS AGO

Seulgi standing in between of book shelves, looking for the right book for her assignment. She go from other shelf to another shelf until she find what she looking for. 

"There you are", she whispered. She take out the book and walk towards her earlier seat. 

When she arrived at her seat, she welcomed by Joohyun's sleeping face. Joohyun look really in deep slumber. She slowly pull out the chair besides the sleeping girl. She placed her right arm on the table and lay her head on it. She turn her face to Joohyun to stare at 16 years old Joohyun sleeping face.

Joohyun didn't look much different from her childhood face. She still the same Joohyun from 7 years ago. Seulgi captivated by her bestfriend's beauty. Her eyes laid on the shorter girl long eyelashes, down to her pointed perfect nose, her mole near her right eyebrow, her cute cheek and her pinkish lips. Seulgi found herself always drawn into Joohyun' beauty even after these years she saw that. Joohyun is a magic to Seulgi. She's an angel who come to earth to pull Seulgi out from her darkness. She always think that from the moment she accept Joohyun's hand and become her friend until this day.

Seulgi saw Joohyun start moving. She squeeze her sleepy eyes and sleepily ask "What time now? How long have I been sleep?". 

Seulgi glance at her wristwatch, "It's almost 5".

Joohyun eyes widened. "What?", she sit straight. "It's that late already? Why didn't you wake me up?", she asked in panic mode.

Seulgi straightened her body and lean her back onto the chair, "You've been sleeping like a little kid. How come I have heart to wake you?", she said. Her index finger pointing at the corner of Joohyun's lips. 

"What?", the shorter asked. 

"Your saliva"

"What? Yah, why you telling me now?", she quickly reach for a mirror inside her pencil case and look at her reflection, but there's no such thing like what Seulgi said.

Seulgi hold her laughter and whisper to her bestfriend ear "It's a joke".

Joohyun turn to her right and push Seulgi. How dare she. "Yah! You little--", Joohyun's word cut off when a librarian hushed them for being noisy. Joohyun immediately cower her head and she glare at her bestfriend. She pouts. 

Small smile formed at the corner of the taller girl's lips. "Okay, I'm sorry. Come let's go. I'll buy you teokbokki", she said.

She start gathering all her stuff and when she want to rose from her seat, Joohyun hold her wrist softly. Seulgi turn to Joohyun and raise her eyebrow questioning.

"Don't waste you money on me. I'm not mad at you. I'm just joking", she softly said.

Joohyun know it's hard for Seulgi to get that money. She need to work part time to get that money. It's better for her to spend the precious money on her daily expenses other than waste it on her. 

Seulgi caressing her bestfriend's hand. "It's okay. I have a lot. Let's go?", she insist. She pull Joohyun by her wrist and walk towards their classroom to get their backpack.

AT TEOKBOKKI STALL

"Ahjumma, please give us teokbokki for 2 serving", Seulgi said to the middle age woman. 

"Aniyo Ahjumma, just give us 1 serving", Joohyun immediately correct the taller. 

Seulgi look at the shorter. "We can share", Joohyun said with smile on her face. Seulgi shake her head. It's impossible to win over Joohyun. She pay for their food after the woman give them their food. 

She give the plate to Joohyun and the shorter received it. "Are you sure it's enough for you?", Seulgi teased. 

Joohyun blushing. "Yah! , I'm not eat that much. How come you say that a loud to a lady".

Seulgi laughing. "Who's the lady?"

"Me!", Joohyun pointing at herself. 

Seulgi laughing hillariously. "You're not a lady. You're kiddo. A small kiddo", she patting her bestfriend crown. Joohyun glares at her bestfriend. 

Seulgi saw that and instantly pull her hand mid air "Okay, okay. I'm sorry", smile still plastered on her face.

She take a stick and poke a rice cake and shove it towards Joohyun's mouth, "Here. Forgive me please?", she said with her sweet voice, coaxing the shorter. 

Joohyun doesn't want to open , sulking.

"Come on pretty, don't sulking", said Seulgi, still shoving the food to the shorter girl mouth.

Joohyun finally give in when Seulgi suddenly give her a wink and take her favourite food into . It's hard to stay mad at Seulgi. Both smiling happily.

PRESENT

Seulgi standing near the window as she watch Joohyun taking picture with her co-worker when Seungwan approach her. 

"Look so happy", Seungwan said break the silence.

"Yes she is", the taller girl replied while her eyes still looking at smiling Joohyun. She unconciously smile too.

"I mean YOU", Seungwan turn to Seulgi. 

Seulgi turn to her friend. She didn't respond.  She know what Seungwan trying to say. She smile before she replied "Of course I'm happy. Today is my bestfriend's wedding".

Bestfriend.

Seungwan remain silent for few seconds before she state, "I hope you not gonna regret it later Seulgi", and turn her face back to the bride. 

Regret?

"I won't. Thanks for asking Seungwan", she whispered. 

------

10 YEARS AGO

Seulgi was on her way to the school cafeteria when she saw students were gathered in the hallway. She needs to get through the crowd because Joohyun is waiting for her at the cafeteria. She was a bit late because Ms. Kim has to meet her after their class was over.

As she walking through the crowd, she hears the students murmuring about someone confessing to someone when suddenly she hears a familiar name came out from one of the students mouths. She quicken her steps to pass through the crowd. After she managed to pass through them, she saw Joohyun at the other side of where she currently stands. A guy kneeling down in front of her with a flower in his hand. Seulgi stares at the cause of the commotion. 

"Bae Joohyun, I like you. Please be my girlfriend", the guy bravely confess.

Joohyun blushes by the sudden confession. Seulgi knows Joohyun has a crush on that guy and she even told her before.

Joohyun shyly takes the flower from the guy's hand and says "Okay".

That one simple word really clutch Seulgi's heart. Crowds are cheering to celebrate the new couple. The new couple is smiling at each other. 

Seulgi weakly take her steps leaving the scene. She can't take it any longer. She run to the rooftop and text Joohyun. 

To : Bunny

Hey, I'm sorry. I think I can't eat with you. I have something to do. 

She waited for Joohyun to reply. 5 minutes. 10 minutes. 15 minutes. 

From : Bunny

What is that you're doing? Do you need my help?

To : Bunny

It's okay. Ms. Kim asked me to help her. I can handle it myself. 

From : Bunny

☹️ Okay. I'll buy you food. You can eat it later. ☺️ Just tell me if you want me to help you. Love you. 🥰

Love you.

Seulgi didn't reply after that. Heavy sighed escaped her lips. She looked up to the sky. She has been having this funny feeling since 4 years ago. Until today, she still don't recognise the meaning behind this pain everytime she saw Joohyun with someone who wasn't her.

---

Seulgi and Joohyun walk together after school ends. Even though their house is in a different direction, Seulgi will always walk Joohyun home first before she turns in for another direction to her own apartment. Joohyun keeps saying that she doesn't need to always walk her home everyday because it might burden her, but Seulgi like always, she only replied with a smile and said Joohyun never is a burden to her and she just wants to make sure the shorter one reaches her home safely. So Joohyun just let her be.

Seulgi is awfully silent that evening and she seems spacing out since they walked out from their school ground and Joohyun noticed this. 

Joohyun tilted her head to her right side to face her best friend. "Seulgi ya, what are you thinking about? You look so spacing out", she breaks the silence.

Seulgi turns to her left and blinks. She wakes up from her reverie. "Nothing. I didn't spacing out".

"Really? But you are so silent today. Is something bothering you?", Joohyun asked with her furrowed brow. 

"Nothing Hyun. I'm okay. Don't worry. Stop furrowing, you look ugly", Seulgi teased. 

"Yah", the bunny pouted.

Seulgi smiling widely.

"Seulgi yah..", Joohyun reaches for Seulgi's arm and links their arms together. This is the normal thing for them since Joohyun really loves skinship. Seulgi was not really fond of skinship at first but she endured it for her bestfriend and she had get used to it after she keep doing it for almost 10 years. 

"..I have something to tell you", the shorter added. 

Seulgi hummed to tell her to continue talking.

"You remember Mino? The guy that I told you before?"

Seulgi nodded. She already know where this conversation will lead to. 

"He confessed to me today", Joohyun shyly confessed.

"I know", Seulgi nonchalantly replied. Eyes facing front. 

Joohyun lifted up her head to look at Seu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter