Prelude

Timeless

 


 

PRELUDE

 

He can feel the hands on his shoulders tighten as they lead him somewhere he can’t see. The blindfold is soft against his skin, and he has to control the urge to reach out and grab something for the sake of possible leverage.

It’s really scary not being able to see what’s in front of his eyes, but he trusts the person behind him who surely wouldn't make him accidentally bump into a wall or something.

He wouldn't... right?

“Where are we going, hyung?” he asks for what seems to be the fifth time today already. He can’t really make a solid guess, but based on his senses, they appear to be currently outside somewhere with the wind occasionally sending a chilly breeze to his skin. The sun is definitely out, but it isn't as hot as he'd expected it to be. The weather actually seems to be pretty good today.

“I told you, Hyukjae,” Jungsoo's gentle voice drifts into his ears. “We're going to a place you’ll like. Jongwoon told me that it has to be a surprise.”

“But what kind of place are we talking about here?” Hyukjae whines, not missing the chance to complain even if it’s just to mess with his usually level-headed hyung. “Are we going to the airport and on a vacation to another country??”

“No,” Jungsoo tells him calmly.

“Aw, bummer. Then, are we going to that new water park that just opened nearby??”

“No.”

“What?? Not there? Okay, hmm... ah, I got it! We're gonna be on our way camping to the mountains! It's gonna be so much fun!!”

Hyukjae senses the smile in Jungsoo’s voice. “No.”

“Then... uh, that large zoo where it’s almost impossible to get a ticket because it’s always jam-packed everyday??”

“No.”

“Okay, okay. I'm sure of it this time.” Hyukjae grins widely just by thinking about it. “An amusement park!!!”

“...”

“Wah, I'm right!! I'm right, aren't I??”

“...No.”

“What?! Then why the long pause??”

Jungsoo doesn’t answer him. Hyukjae pouts, still feeling restless in this kind of situation. It isn’t that he hates being blindfolded, but surprises like this always make him feel antsy and impatient. He’s the kind of guy who wants to speed things up so he can have a lot of fun afterwards, which is why he wants to get this over with already because he’s already excited.

Anyway, clearly, Jungsoo is taking him somewhere unfamiliar. They'd traveled here by car earlier and Hyukjae had had a hard time trying not to just grab the blindfold and see where they were going.

Why's Jongwoon-hyung in the mood to surprise me today? Hyukjae wonders to himself, mind spinning with many possibilities. What day is it today?

Oh, wait... ah, that's it! Hyukjae marvels as a light bulb promptly goes off in his head. Today's our 9th anniversary! How could I have forgotten?? Damn... Jongwoon-hyung is such a romantic.

While Hyukjae is immersed in his fantasies, he doesn’t notice that Jungsoo has opened a door and led him inside. He only realizes that they’ve stopped when he feels Jungsoo’s fingers going over the knot at the back of his head.

“We’re here already?” he voices out, surprised.

“Yes we are, Hyukjae,” Jungsoo answers, and there’s a small note of amusement in his voice.

When the blindfold is finally taken off, Hyukjae’s vision is instantly struck by a blinding white light. The next thing he knows, he’s staring at a room filled with his friends, the walls a polished shade of marble-white and the surroundings decorated with splendor. Overall, everything looks pretty fancy... but for what?

And why are they all staring at him so excitedly? Wait… what on earth are they wearing…?

Someone suddenly lets out a long whistle. “Here comes the groom!” they cheer.

The words register in his head slowly. While he continues to stand there, a familiar white light shines across his face for a fleeting moment, but he is still too shocked to notice.

“...Wait, what?!” he finally exclaims, not believing his ears.

Hands grab at his shoulders and spin him around. Hyukjae blinks and sees Heechul’s lively face grinning at him widely.

“You’re getting married!” Heechul tells him, and then he lets out a loud, resounding laugh.

Hyukjae’s jaw drops open in shock, and the room is filled with raucous laughter.

“Wait wait wait wait WHAT?!” Hyukjae exclaims, face flushed red in disbelief. “Y—You mean to say—” He instantly whips his head towards Jungsoo who is trying hard not to snicker at his expression. “Hyung!! You kidnapped me from my apartment just to take me to my own impromptu wedding??!”

“Yes, you idiot. Now go get dressed. Jongwoon’s waiting for you,” Jungsoo replies with a smile as he steps forward and leads Hyukjae towards the bathroom. “Your tux is already hung inside. Be quick, okay?”

“B—But... But... But Jongwoon-hyung just proposed to me three days ago!!” Hyukjae protests, his mind still spinning. “I thought we were gonna start preparing next week—”

“That means he lied, kid,” Kangin calls out, and the others start laughing again.

“He prepared this surprise for you a month ago, !” Kyuhyun hollers smugly.

“By the way, hyung, I’m gonna sing the wedding song for you later!” Ryeowook adds, and Hyukjae is given no time to respond because Jungsoo has already pushed him gently inside the bathroom and closed the door.

“Did you see the look on his face??” Kyuhyun snickers. “That was priceless!”

“Did you take it??” Ryeowook urges Donghae who is grinning beside him.

“You bet I did,” Donghae replies triumphantly as he shows his phone screen for everyone to see Hyukjae’s shocked Pikachu face which he caught at just the right moment.

The room erupts into laughter once more.

“Poor Hyukjae,” Kangin snickers. He’s totally enjoying this day already.