We keep dancing around the innocent truth (The beginning)

Sugarplum Elegy

 

1 minute.

 

The girl walks in the room and Lisa swears her heart just skipped a beat. 

 

"Chaeyoung," Lisa nudges her best friend. "See that girl?"

 

"Dude. No. She's totally out of your league." Chaeyoung rolls her eyes. 

 

"Have you met me?" Lisa scoffs. Just then, a group of second-years passes by, ogling Lisa and Chaeyoung.

 

Lisa gives them a small wave. "Have a nice day."

 

One of the girls turns red and they speed up immediately, excitedly talking among themselves.

 

Chaeyoung gives Lisa a quizzical look and the latter just shrugs. 

 

"The small one has a huge crush on me." Lisa focuses back to the girl she saw moments earlier. "Sometimes, I like to give her something to think about all day."

 

"You are such a jackass." Chaeyoung nudges her friend.

 

1 day.

 

"Excuse me," The girl says shyly. "Do you know which way room 203 is at?"

 

Lisa stares at her big brown eyes. She has never been mesmerized by someone before. "Wow." 

 

"I'm sorry?"

 

"Wow," Lisa says quickly as she looks at her watch. "I'm late to class! See you later!"

 

Lisa shakes her head as she walked away. 

 

3 days.

 

"I noticed you always like to sit at this section of the library," Lisa gestures to the empty seat next to her. "So I took the liberty of reserving the whole table."

 

The girl looks at her quizzically. "Do I know you?" 

 

Lisa smiles. "I'm Lisa." She holds out her hand. "Manoban. And you are?"

 

"Jennie Kim." She looks around. "Are you allowed to reserve such a big space here in the library?"

 

"Well," Lisa waves a hand lazily. "I know a guy. Go on, take a seat."

 

"Thank you." Jennie takes the seat on the corner. "Although I'm not sure why you would do something like this for a stranger."

 

"I just want to get to know you." Lisa props her elbows on the table and tilts her head. "Is that bad?"

 

"No," Jennie says as she takes out her reading materials. "But I'm really busy, so if you don't mind.."

 

1 week.

 

"Would you quit it already?" Chaeyoung huffs as she finishes another lap.

 

"Quit what?" Lisa just lazily dribbles the ball, watching the ball bounce between her legs. 

 

"Pining after this girl." Chaeyoung attempts to swipe the ball from Lisa. "Steal!" 

 

Lisa is too quick to pound the ball behind her back as Chaeyoung lounges at it. "Park Chaeyoung, are you jealous?" She laughs.

 

"The ." Chaeyoung looks visibly repulsed. "Like I'd get anywhere near your crusty ."

 

"I think I really like this girl," Lisa says as she positions herself for a free throw. "She might be the one, you know?"

 

Chaeyoung looks at her seriously for a brief second then they burst out laughing.

 

"The one!" Chaeyoung guffaws. "Good one. Now throw me the ball, stupid. Let's play one-on-one."

 

2 weeks.

 

"Jennie!" Lisa jogs to catch up to the smaller girl. "Where are you headed? Want to walk together?"

 

"I'm actually meeting my friend over at the cafeteria," Jennie smiled politely. "I guess I'll see you later?"

 

"Oh, I'm meeting a friend in the cafeteria too!" Lisa laughed. "Then, let's go together?"

 

"Sure."

 

3 weeks. 

 

"That girl Jennie's with?" Chaeyoung conspicuously points. "What's her deal?" 

 

"I really don't know." Lisa squints her eyes as she looks at the two girls several tables away. "Do you think they're together?" 

 

"Nah." Chaeyoung gets back to her food. "Jennie's straight." 

 

"Jennie's definitely not straight." Lisa argues. 

 

"Wanna bet?" Chaeyoung flashes that mischievous grin and Lisa groans as she senses what's coming. 

 

"Chaeyoung, no." But the blonde is already walking over to the other girls' table. Lisa follows suit. 

 

"Excuse me," Chaeyoung smiles sweetly. "Is this seat taken?" 

 

"No." The girl next to Jennie smiles. Chaeyoung sits down and pulls Lisa along with her. 

 

Lisa doesn't look at Jennie. 

 

"I'm Rosé Park." Chaeyoung holds out a hand. "You must be new here."

 

"Yes," Jennie shakes her hand. "Jennie Kim. Nice to meet you. I'm actually from New Zealand."

 

Chaeyoung turns on the charm and soon she gets Jennie laughing. Lisa rolls her eyes.

 

"And you?" Chaeyoung turns to the other girl. 

 

"Kim Jisoo." She says simply.

 

"You're sisters?" Lisa asks and Jisoo turns at her. "Lisa Manoban."

 

"No." Jennie smiles and Lisa's heart thumps. "She's my best friend."

 

"On behalf of our beloved high school, my good friend Lisa," Chaeyoung elbows her best friend. "And I would like to give you a warm welcome. We're here if you ever need help with anything. Even though we're seniors now and we'll only have about a year left here, we'll make sure you have a good time."

 

"We guarantee it!" Lisa enthusiastically adds. 

 

"Really?" Jisoo's brow quirks up. "You guarantee? How?" 

 

"Come to our party tonight and you'll know." Chaeyoung winks. 

 

4 weeks. 

 

​​"You really don't drink much, huh?" Lisa regards the half emptied cup of beer that Jennie's been nursing for the better part of an hour. 

 

"I don't like its taste." Jennie admits. "Honestly, I don't like huge parties."

 

"Why did you come then?" Lisa asks as she sips from her drink. 

 

Jennie gestures over to Jisoo, who was talking to a tall girl. "She needs someone to drive her home."

 

"Chaeyoung can drive her home." Lisa looks around. "Hold on, let me just---Yves!"

 

Yves walks up them. "What's up?"

 

"Where's Chaeyoung at?" Lisa inquires. 

 

"Passed out upstairs." Yves laughs. "Challenged Tzuyu to a game of beer pong---guess who won?"

 

"Man, she wants a death sentence." Lisa shakes her head and smiles at Jennie who looks puzzled. "Tzuyu's unbeatable."

 

"So I guess I better stay sober then, so I could drive my friend home." Jennie looks at her beer displeasingly. "God, this is so disgusting."

 

"Maybe that's because you've been chugging that toxic sludge," Lisa carefully takes the cup from Jennie's hand. "Instead of this fine whisky."

 

Lisa offers her a silver flask and Jennie regards it warily. 

 

"Are you trying to roofie me?" She says and Lisa is so taken aback, she takes several steps back. 

 

"Woah, time out!" Lisa motions with her fingers. "Is that what you think of me?" 

 

"I've seen you around," Jennie answers. "You always have your arm around different girls at parties."

 

"So you're watching me, huh?" Lisa smiles crookedly.

 

"I'm not!" Jennie goes red. "But you're so popular, it's really hard not to see you. Speaking of which.. "

 

Just then, Lisa's teammates pass by and they all pull her in for a shot.

 

5 weeks.

 

"Jisoo!" Chaeyoung calls from afar, causing many heads to turn. 

 

"Chaeyoung." Jisoo greets. "What's up?"

 

"I told you to call me Rosé." She pouts at the smaller girl. "I only called you from faraway so people can hear you say 'Rosé', you know!" 

 

"Oh my gosh you're a dork." Jisoo rolls her eyes good-naturedly. "Come with me to the cafeteria, I want some milk."

 

"No." 

 

"I'll call you 'Rosé' really loudly." Jisoo offers. 

 

"Okay."

 

 

 

"Hey, where have you been?" Lisa impatiently beckons Chaeyoung closer. "I've been trying to call you! Yves is gonna confess to Kim Lip at and I want to see if our friend's gonna crash and burn." 

 

"I had snacks with Jisoo." Chaeyoung simply replies. 

 

"Ooh." Lisa wiggles her eyebrows. "My Chaeyoungie has a crush on the new girl."

 

"I think I actually do, yeah." Chaeyoung smirks.

 

"Jennie with you guys?" Lisa asks nonchalantly. 

 

"My Lalisa has a crush on the straight girl." Chaeyoung laughs. 

 

"For the last time," Lisa rolls her eyes. "She is not straight."

 

6 weeks. 

 

"Oh yeah," Jennie nods matter-of-factly. "I am straight." 

 

Lisa huffs and reaches into her pocket to hand Chaeyoung several bills of money. 

 

"Wait, you had a bet on my uality?" Jennie says incredulously. "I am so offended!" 

 

"Yeah?" Chaeyoung challenges. "When we first met, didn't you bet Jisoo that Lisa and I were a couple?" 

 

"I am so offended!" Lisa visibly shudders. "Me with Chaeyoung​​​​​​? The horror."

 

"Well, are you?" Jennie prompts. 

 

The two tall girls looking so disgusted is confirmation enough.

 

7 weeks. 

 

"Are you guys dating?" Jennie suddenly blurts out. 

 

"No!" Jisoo almost laughs at how ridiculous Jennie sounds. 

 

Lisa raises her eyebrows. "Really? Because Chaeyoung has been dragging me away from my video games just so we could hang out at your place."

 

"You think you have it bad?" Jennie rolls her eyes and jerks her thumb towards Jisoo. "Try talking to this one. 'Rosé told me about this, Rosé and I ate at this one place, Rosé made me watch a funny movie'. Just get a room already. God."

 

Chaeyoung stands up. "Alright, Jennie Kim." 

 

She motions Jisoo to follow suit. "Wanna go up to your room?" 

 

Jisoo wordlessly gets up and the girls leave Lisa and Jennie alone in the living room. 

 

 

 

"You think they're making out there?" Lisa questions Jennie after a while. The two had been studying for the past hour as Jisoo and Chaeyoung still haven't come back down. 

 

"Oh God," Jennie makes a face. "Please don't put that image in my head."

 

"They've been gone a long time." Lisa stretches then looks at Jennie. "I'm just saying.. maybe we can make out."

 

"I'm straight." Jennie dismisses. "Besides, even if I'm not, you're definitely not my type."

 

8 weeks. 

 

"Can we please, please, please just get ice cream instead of studying at Jisoo's?" Lisa whines. 

 

"I told you, we can do it after." Chaeyoung rings the doorbell. Jisoo greets them and lets them in.

 

"No fair." Lisa plops down on the couch beside Jennie. "You're getting all the action and I'm just stuck here studying with Jennie."

 

"Studying?" Jennie scoffs. "You have the attention span of a 5-year-old. Every time we're done with a new chapter, you always ask for a 20-minute break!"

 

"At least I'm learning something and not just face." Lisa tilts hear head to Jisoo and Chaeyoung. 

 

"You want to tell them or should I?" Chaeyoung smirks.

 

"Ugh. Please don't tell us all the nasty things you do." Jennie shakes her head.

 

"No, you s!" Jisoo laughs. "We're really not dating."

 

"Then what are you doing up at your room all this time then?" Lisa asks.

 

"I'm actually teaching Jisoo how to play the piano." Chaeyoung explains.

 

"You know how to play the piano?" Jennie says. "That's amazing!"

 

"Why can't you do that here with us then?" Lisa grumbles. "And why'd you drag me here too?"

 

"So you can study with Jennie." Jisoo says happily. "You're awfully bad at math, you know. I always see you in class when I pass by your room. You're always just sleeping at the back."

 

"I don't always sleep at the back.." Lisa mutters. "Sometimes I sleep in front too."

 

9 weeks.

 

"You sure this is a good movie?" Lisa scans the poster cautiously. 

 

"Of course." Jennie counts her money as they line up to get some popcorn. "Don't you trust me?"

 

"I don't." Lisa shakes her head. 

 

"Would you rather we studied?" Jennie raises one eyebrow. 

 

"No."

 

 

 

Lisa cowers behind her popcorn as another scary scene appears. 

 

"What are you doing?" Jennie turns to look at her. "You're hogging all the popcorn."

 

"I'm hungry." Lisa reasons.

 

"Wait, are you scared?" Jennie stifles a laugh and Lisa vehemently denies it. 

 

"You act so tough but you're scared of fake ghosts?" Jennie says. 

 

"I don't like dreaming about them at night, all right?" Lisa replies in a small voice.

 

"Here." Jennie takes her hand and squeezes. "God. You're such a loser."

 

Lisa feels butterflies in her stomach.

 

10 weeks.

 

"You going out tonight?" Chaeyoung regards her friend. 

 

"Yeah," Lisa fixes her bangs in front of the mirror. "Got a hot date."

 

"Ooh. Do I know her?" Chaeyoung replies.

 

"Maybe. Her name's Sana." Lisa turns to look at Chaeyoung. "You know her?"

 

"Oh yeah, we have History class together." Chaeyoung nods. "She's cute."

 

But Lisa thinks she's not really as cute as Jennie.

 

20 weeks.

 

"Wow," Jennie looks at the camera screen. "You're really good at this."

 

"Yeah?" Lisa smies shyly. "You're not just saying that?" 

 

"No," Jennie points at something. "Look at this. You really brought out that kid's smile at this angle."

 

"That's actually what I was going for!" Lisa takes the camera happily. "Now let's do you."

 

"No, I don't want to!" Jennie hides behind her hair as Lisa attempts to take a photo of her. 

 

"Come on, just one photo!" Lisa laughs. "I need the practice."

 

"All right." Jennie smiles brightly as Lisa clicks the camera.

 

"Beautiful." She whispers.

 

25 weeks.

 

Five minutes left in the fourth quarter. Chaeyoung looks at Lisa and the latter understands what she has to do. Lisa moves three steps to her right then immediately beelines to the opposite side towards the basket, effectively losing her defender. Chaeyoung does a bounce pass straight into Lisa's waiting hands and she bumps it against the glass of the board for an easy layup. The crowd erupts into cheers, Jennie and Jisoo along with them.

 

Chaeyoung and Lisa exchange high fives as they backpedal back to defend their goal. 

 

"Wow," Jisoo notes. "Now I truly understand why these two idiots are so popular. They're so good!" 

 

"Yeah." Jennie's eyes follow Lisa's back as she sprints to the other end for another fast break to catch Chaeyoung's lob pass.

 

 

Lisa spots Jennie among the crowd during timeout. 

 

"Hey!" Lisa waves at Jennie. "Jennie!"

 

"What are you doing?" Jennie hisses as Lisa walks over to where she was sitting. "We're tied! Focus on the game!"

 

"If I make the next shot, will you do me a favor?" Lisa says, grinning. "Will you go out with----"

 

The sound of the buzzer drowns out Lisa's voice. 

 

"Go out with you??" Jennie says incredulously. "I told you, I'm not gay!"

 

Lisa laughs. "I know." 

 

She points to the guy sitting beside Chaeyoung, shooting furtive glances their way. 

 

"Kai. He's our PT." Lisa says hurriedly since they're being called back to the court. "I owe him one and he has a huge crush on you."

 

Jennie just looks puzzled.

 

"Just think about it, okay?" Lisa calls as she runs away. 

 

30 weeks.

 

"So, you're over Jennie now?" Chaeyoung says as they eat junk food at their secret hiding place---the garden hidden behind the abandoned parking lot.

 

Lisa shrugs. "She's straight. I don't want to go through that again."

 

"Besides," Lisa munches on a potato chip. "She seems really into Kai. But what she sees in that fool, I'll never know."

 

"Jisoo says he's got a nice body." Chaeyoung comments. "And a charming smile."

 

She snatches the last potato chip from Lisa's hands. "Although personally, he's about as charming as my big toe."

 

 

35 weeks.

 

"Hi Jisoo!" 

 

"Good morning, Jisoo."

 

"Kim Jisoo! Have a nice day." 

 

 

"How come so many people now knows who I am?" Jisoo says as she settles between Jennie and Chaeyoung. 

 

"It's weird, right?" Jennie's eyes widen. "Like, people actually go out of their way to talk to me now. Did we become popular because we keep hanging out with you guys?"

 

"I guess." Lisa shrugs as she takes a bite of her burger. 

 

"Yeah, we don't really care about that stuff." Chaeyoung nods. "Although the privileges are really quite neat."

 

"Oh yeah," Lisa adds. "We got keys to this kind of secret garden at the back of the school because we're friends with the custodian. Chaeyoung and I go there sometimes to take a nap."

 

"Ooh, can we go there?" Jennie says earnestly.

 

"Yeah, it sounds like a good place to hang out at." Jisoo adds.

 

Chaeyoung and Lisa look at each other. They never let anyone come there because the secret garden were their own hiding place.

 

But then they both just smiled at each other.

 

"Sure."  
 

40 weeks.

 

"How's it going with Kai?" Lisa asks Jennie. 

 

"It's actually going pretty great." Jennie fondly holds Lisa's arm. "Thank you so much for setting us up."

 

Across them, Chaeyoung snorts. 

 

"It's not a problem," Lisa says as she tries to kick Chaeyoung underneath the table. She misses badly and her foot collides with Jisoo's knees.

 

"Oww!!" Jisoo yelps. "What the hell was that for?"

 

"Sorry, Jisoo." Lisa held up two fingers. "I was stretching and my foot slipped."

 

 

45 weeks.

 

"I hate him so much!" Jennie wails as she downs another shot of vodka. "Such a ing cheater!"

 

"Girl, I told you," Jisoo pats her friend's back. "I told you he's bad news."

 

"Just say the word, Jennie." Lisa offers. "I'll put laxatives on his protein shake. I'll hide his gym clothes. I'll---"

 

"You!" Jennie grabs Lisa by the collar of her shirt. "You were the one who introduced him to me!" 

 

"Hey, hey, hey!" Lisa backs away as Jennie takes another swing at her. "It's not my fault the guy was a piece of !"

 

"She's right, you know." Jisoo tries to calm down a still seething Jennie.

 

"I miss the times when men would go to war and die." Chaeyoung says wistfully as she takes a big swig from the bottle.


 

50 weeks.

 

"Are you and Rosie still fighting?" Jennie asks as they walk along the bridge, munching on snacks they bought earlier at a convenience store.

 

"Yes," Lisa grunts. "Because she's being such an . And since when have you been calling her Rosie? It's such a stupid nickname."

 

"Hey," Jennie grabs her hand to stop her. "Don't talk about her like that. You know it's not her fault."

 

"Well, she could've told me!" Lisa fires up. "I should've known something was up when she asked everyone to call her 'Rosé'."

 

"She didn't want to tell you because she didn't want you to feel sad." Jennie says in a soothing tone. "She's your best friend, Lisa. You shouldn't fight."

 

"Well, if she's my best friend," Lisa kicks a stray leaf with much force. "Why is she moving to Australia without telling me?" 

 

1 year.

 

"We made it!" Lisa pulls in Chaeyoung for a warm embrace. 

 

"I know, can you believe it?" Chaeyoung laughs. 

 

"Guys," Jisoo beckons the two closer. "Let's take a picture!"

 

"Hold on, let me fix my hair." Jennie says hurriedly.

 

The four of them stand close together, clutching their diplomas and smiling widely.

 

1 year and 1 month.

 

"You'll call me everyday." Lisa's eyes well up in tears. "Everyday, okay?"

 

"Everyday." Chaeyoung promises. They hug again.  

 

"I'll miss you, jackass." Lisa playfully punches her best friend.

 

"Don't get in too much trouble, douche."

 

"That's probably the sweetest goodbye I ever heard." Jisoo scoffs. Then she places a chaste kiss on Chaeyoung's cheeks.

 

Jennie is already in tears.

 

"Don't forget to call me too, Rosie." She bawls.

 

"You're so dramatic, Jennie." Lisa rolls her eyes good-naturedly. "Shouldn't I be the one crying?"

 

But still, she wraps her arm around Jennie as they wave goodbye to Chaeyoung.

 

 

1 year and 3 months.

 

"What's up, mate?" Lisa teases and she swears she could hear Chaeyoung roll her eyes through the phone. 

 

"." Chaeyoung replies. "How are you? What's going on over there?"

 

Lisa looks around. "Well, I'm in the middle of a huge dump right now. So that's what's going on." 

 

Chaeyoung curses her loudly.

 

"All right, all right." Lisa shakes her head. "Call Jisoo. She's in my room right now, we're going shopping before she leaves in a few days."

 

---

 

"Why do you have a summer job?" Lisa groans and slumps on the counter. "I'm so bored at home because I don't have anyone to hang out with."

 

Jennie shoos her friend away. "Why don't you have one?" 

 

"Because," Lisa gets up and spreads her arms. "I wish to enjoy my last carefree summer." 

 

"So go on ahead." Jennie gestures to the door. "Enjoy it. No one's stopping you."

 

"How?" Lisa pouts. "Chaeyoung's in Australia hugging some kangaroos, Jisoo's on vacation in Korea, and you're in a cashier's uniform!"

 

She regards the smaller girl. "And it looks bad on you." She adds. "We should be in sundresses! Swimsuits! We should be sipping daiquiris and getting day drunk at the beach!"

 

"Now that you mention it," Jennie pouts. "Getting day drunk does sound fun."

 

Lisa wiggles her keys. "Let's go!"

 

"I can't." Jennie sighs.

 

Lisa is deep in thought.

 

"Next week?"

 

---

 

"So why do you want to be a lawyer?" Lisa plays with the sand. 

 

"My parents are both lawyers. My grandparents were lawyers. I really didn't have much of a choice." Jennie answers.

 

"But if you did?" The sun sets slowly and they both marvel at its beauty. 

 

"I'd probably be working at the zoo," She giggles. "There's nothing more fulfilling than taking care of a bunch of pandas and capybaras."

 

"Capy-what now?"

 

"Capybara." Jennie repeats. "I'll show you some pictures later. How about you? What do you want to do?"

 

Lisa shrugs. "I haven't decided yet."

 

"We're going to college soon, Lis." Jennie says. "You have start thinking about that."

 

"Grown up stuff's not really my thing." Lisa buries her feet in the sand. "You know I only applied at that university because you all did."

 

"And you passed without even studying." Jennie grumbles. "Meanwhile I studied my off and I barely got into the program. I hate it. I wonder what life would feel like if everything went my way all the time." 

 

"Well if everything went your way all the time," Lisa leans her head on her knees. "Can you really call that a life? Shouldn't failures make the success that much sweeter and well-deserved?"

 

"You know," Jennie also leans her head on her knees, facing Lisa. "When you don't act like a complete child, you can be a very wise and mature person to talk to."

 

"And you," Lisa smiles warmly. "look so much prettier when you talk about things you want to do rather than things you're supposed to do."

 

1 year and 5 months.

 

"Jisoo tells me you're seeing someone." Chaeyoung says over the phone. "Is it serious?"

 

"No," Jennie laughs. "He doesn't even kiss well." 

 

"Why are you with him then?" Chaeyoung asks.

 

"Because," Jennie twirls a loose strand of hair. "He keeps me distracted."

 

"From what?" 

 

Then Jennie spots Lisa walking over, two ice cream cones on her hand and a giddy look on her face.

 

Jennie feels butterflies in her stomach.

 

"Nothing."

 

---

 

"How was your vacation?" Jennie asks as she sorts out Jisoo's souvenir gifts. "Somehow you seem more Korean than when we last saw each other."

 

"What are you talking about?" Jisoo laughs. "I've always been Korean. Now tell me the name of the guy that's been making you all giddy these past few days."

 

"What guy?" Lisa interrupts. "There's a guy?"

 

"I don't know, she won't tell me!" Jisoo looks at Jennie incredulously. "You haven't even told Lisa? But you're practically joined at the hip all summer!"

 

"There's no guy." Jennie rolls her eyes. "Can't I just be happy that you're finally here?"

 

"No." Jisoo eyes her knowingly. "You have that smitten look all over your face. Like what you had when you told me you've fallen in love with Kai. But this time your heart eyes are bigger."

 

"Ew," Lisa shudders. "You fell in love with Kai?"

 

"He was my first, okay?" Jennie goes red. "And there's no guy!"

 

"Yeah, there can't be possibly a guy." Lisa agrees. "We've been hanging out practically every day. She couldn't have hidden it from me."

 

Jisoo looks at Lisa then she slowly turns to Jennie who was determinedly avoiding her eyes.

 

"I see." She nods.

 

---

 

"I really hate it here," Jennie mutters to her phone. "They're fighting again and honestly I think they're gonna kill each other one day. The only time my parents agree on something is when they point out all my shortcomings."

 

"That ." Lisa says. "Do you want to come over tomorrow after your shift? I'll come pick you up."

 

"Can't you pick me up right now?" Jennie looks over to her window. "I can probably sneak out of here."

 

"Oh," Lisa hesitates. "I'm.. I'm kind of busy right now actually."

 

"Come on, Lisa!" Jennie insists. "You just don't want to get off your couch. Pause your movie for a bit and come pick me up."

 

"Seriously, Jennie." Lisa says apologetocally. "I can't. I'm with someone right now. Sorry. I'll talk to you tomorrow, she's looking at me all weird."

 

---

 

"I'M COMING HOME!" Chaeyoung practically screams into the screen as the girls have their weekly video conference.

 

"What?" Lisa's eyes squint.

 

"For good?" Jennie pipes up.

 

"When?" Jisoo says excitedly.

 

"YES!" Chaeyoung is practically jumping up and down. "SOON! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!"

 

"What?" Lisa repeats.

 

"Oh gosh, that's so good! I can't wait to see you!" Jennie claps happily.

 

"How did you convince your parents to let you move back home?" Jisoo asks.

 

"I'll tell you more details soon!" Chaeyoung laughs. "Gotta go, my3 mom's calling me. Love you guys!"

 

"Love you too!"

 

"I miss you, Chaeng!"

 

"WHAT?" Lisa screams from her screen. "What did you say, Chaeyoung? I couldn't hear anything. Damn it, I think my screen froze."

 

1 year and 6 months.

 

"CHAEYOUNG!!"

 

The girls rush their tall friend and soon she is engulfed in a crushing hug.

 

"Calm down!" Chaeyoung says in a muffled voice. "I can't breathe."

 

"You're home!" Lisa jumps up and down. "You're finally home."

 

"Let's get out of here." Jisoo drags them all out of the airport.

 

Jennie doesn't let go of Chaeyoung's hands.

 

"Sooooo," Chaeyoung asks. "What's been happening? Fill me in on all the tea."

 

"You sound so weird." Lisa mocks Chaeyoung's slight accent. "Soooooo."

 

"Shut up." Chaeyoung playfully punches her arm.

 

"I got a summer job."Jennie says proudly." By the time we start college, I'll finally be able to afford that apartment I told you about."

 

"By the way, how great is it that we're all going to the same university?" Jisoo squeals.

 

"I know!" Chaeyoung gushes. "I still can't believe it!"

 

"I told you," Lisa scoffs. "The one I found was so much better!"

 

"But it has such an awful wallpaper." Jennie whines.

 

"Then just paint over it!"

 

The two continue to bicker so Jisoo takes the opportunity to pull Chaeyoung closer.

 

"I have to tell you something.." Jisoo whispers.

 

Chaeyoung's eyes widen.

 

---

 

"Remind me again why we can't just get an apartment together?" Lisa huffs as she carries several boxes up Jennie and Jisoo's new place.

 

"Because," Jisoo's voice strains as she drags a heavy bag. "Your department building's so far from here. By the way, thanks again for doing this. I owe you one."

 

"Okay, then I'm calling in my favor." Lisa groans as she sets the boxes down in front of the apartment door. "Help me haul Chaeyoung's stuff to our new place."

 

"What?" Jisoo's brows shoot up. "But she told me she already hired someone to take care of it."

 

"Yeah." Lisa points at her chest. "Me."

 

---

 

"First day!" Chaeyoung squeals. "We're college students, Lis! You excited? You ready?"

 

"Yeah, I'm ready." Lisa replies. "Ready to kick your sorry if you don't get out of my bed right now."

 

"Come on," Chaeyoung taps Lisa's back impatiently. "It's a new beginning! Get excited! Get pumped! And more importantly, get up and help me cook breakfast. I already ruined the first batch of pancakes and we're almost out of eggs."

 

 

 

"How was your first day of class?" Jennie prompts over the phone.

 

"Uneventful." Lisa answers. "Most of it's just orientation. How about you, your honor?"

 

Jennie pouts. "We already had a pop quiz, can you believe that? On the first day!"

 

". That's why I chose Performing Arts." Lisa chuckles. "I gotta run. See you at lunch with the others later?"

 

"Sure."

 

 

 

"I still cannot believe Jisoo and I are in the same class!" Chaeyoung says in between bites of her apple. "She's a way better seatmate than you, Lisa."

 

"Don't let her borrow your pen, Jisoo." Lisa warns. "She chews on it."

 

"Ew." Jisoo looks at Chaeyoung.

 

 

 

"First day of school, done!" Chaeyoung walks arm in arm with Lisa. "Man, Engineering is a piece of cake."

 

"It's only the first day, Chaeng." Lisa chuckles.

 

"What should be do tonight?" Chaeyoung ignores her. "Do you want to hangout at Jensoo's place?"

 

"Jensoo?" Lisa raises her eyebrows. "As in Jennie plus Jisoo? That's so nauseating."

 

"'Jennie and Jisoo' is such a mouthful though," Chaeyoung smirks. "You wanna know what we're called?"

 

"Lisyoung?" Lisa guesses.

 

"Oh God no," Chaeyoung laughs. "My name comes first. We're Chaelisa!"

 

"I'm never calling us that."

 

---

 

"Finance is hard." Jisoo pouts. "I can't believe orientation was just a couple of weeks ago! Now, I can't keep up with our math class. Chae, can we study later at your place?"

 

"Sure." Chaeyoung nods. "Lisa, you mind?"

 

"No," Lisa replies. "I'm going out tonight anyway."

 

 

1 year and 7 months.

 

"What's up? It's Chaelisa!" The duo's voices are slightly warbled by the static from the answering machine. "We're not home right now so leave a message after the beep."

 

"Hey," Jisoo calls. "Where are you guys? We're ready to go."

 

"Jisoo," Jennie calls from the other room. "Can I borrow that cute top you wore last week?"

 

"Sure, go ahead!"

 

 

"Where the hell have you been?" Jisoo says impatiently as she opens the door. Chaeyoung and Lisa walk inside.

 

"We were pregaming at this bar," Lisa giggles. "And it was Open Mic Night."

 

"Lisa dared me to sing something and in exchange, she'll pay for the drinks." Chaeyoung continues.

 

"Then the lead singer from the band asked her out!" Lisa says. "She was so mesmerized by Chaeng's angelic voice."

 

"I think I met the girl of my dreams." Chaeyoung sighs.

 

"Lucky. When will I ever meet mine?" Lisa wonders under her breath.

 

"Well, you're dating this girl Heejin, right?" Jisoo shrugs. "Who knows, maybe she might be the right one for you."

 

Then Jennie walks out of her room, fidgeting with the hem of her top.

 

"Maybe." Lisa says as she stares at the brunette.

 

1 year 8 months.

 

"I think I might be a little bi."

 

Jisoo, Lisa, and Chaeyoung all stare at her for about a minute.

 

"Say something please." Jennie bites her lip.

 

Lisa takes a deep breath and then she turns to Chaeyoung. "I TOLD YOU SO!" She all but screamed, causing some casual bystanders to look at their direction questioningly.

 

"All right, all right. Calm down!" Chaeyoung nods and rummages through her bag to find her wallet. "Fine. You win." She crumples up the money purposefully before dropping it into Lisa's waiting hands.

 

Jisoo holds Jennie's hand. "Congratulations for coming out! Sorry these two are being such jackasses."

 

"Sorry." They both say.

 

"How do you feel?" Chaeyoung smiles.

 

"How did you know?" Lisa asks earnestly.

 

"Uhm.." Jennie avoids Lisa's eyes. "I don't know. I'm still kind of feeling everything out. I'll tell you guys when I'm more ready, is that all right?"

 

"Of course."

 

---

 

"Sooooo," Chaeyoung drawls in her Australian accent. "Now that we know Jennie's not straight, you planning on asking her out?"

 

Lisa laughs. "I knew she wasn't straight even before. But no. I'm not gonna ask her out."

 

"Why not?" Chaeyoung tilts her head. "You've had a crush on her for the longest time."

 

"Yeah.." Lisa is deep in thought. "But what if we date and then we break up? She's like my best friend now---"

 

"Woah, woah, woah." Chaeyoung stops her. "I thought I was your best friend."

 

"Fine." Lisa rolls her eyes. "She's one of my best friends---second only to you." She adds hastily. "I just don't want to ruin that."

 

"I guess you're right."

 

"Besides," Lisa smiles. "I'm with Heejin now and it's going pretty great."

 

---

 

"Just ditch your partner already." Jisoo suggests. "She's like ten minutes late. I'm hungry."

 

"Yeah, and I want some frozen yoghurt." Lisa whines. "I need it right now, my body's so sore. We had to learn a new technique today."

 

"Just five more minutes." Jennie scans the crowd. "I don't want to fail this activity. We need to meet up today so we can come up with a strategy for the mock debate."

 

"Here's your strategy," Chaeyoung speaks up. "'Your honor, my client is innocent, and that's cap.'"

 

Jisoo smacks the back of Chaeyoung's head.

 

Just then, a very pretty girl approaches their table.

 

"Excuse me," The girl says shyly. "Are you Jennie Kim?"

 

"Yes," Jennie replies a little breathlessly. "Are you my debate partner?"

 

"Bae Irene." She smiles and holds out a hand. "Sorry for being so late, I don't normally hang out outside our department so I got a little lost trying to find the Engineering library."

 

"It's fine," Jennie waves her hand nervously. "I just got here too."

 

"Look at homegirl gay panicking," Chaeyoung says in a low voice. "Yup. She's definitely not straight."

 

Jisoo smacks her head again.

 

 

1 year and 9 months.

 

"Lisa!"

 

Lisa tears her attention away from the pizza she's been eyeing at the counter to look for the person who called her name. A girl with chinky eyes approaches her and Jisoo.

 

"Seulgi!" She greets. "What's up?"

 

"I just wanted to know if I could borrow your tripod." Seulgi scratches her head. "Mine got stolen."

 

"Oh no, that's awful!" Lisa's brows furrow. "Have you reported it yet?"

 

"Yeah, but I doubt I'll get it back." She chuckles and her eyes land on Jisoo, who's peering at her curiously.

 

"Oh, I'm sorry." Lisa motions to her friend. "This is my friend, Jisoo."

 

"Kang Seulgi." She gives a small bow. "Nice to meet you."

 

Jisoo stutters her greeting and Lisa catches her turning slightly pink in the cheeks. "She's in my photography class." Lisa explains.

 

"I'm an art major." Seulgi explains. "Did you know Lisa here is the best in our class?"

 

Lisa laughs. "I'm not."

 

"No, you really are!" Seulgi smiles widely and her eyes disappear into slits. "You have to teach me your technique some time. Anyway, I gotta go. I haven't eaten yet."

 

"Hey, you wanna grab some lunch with us?" Lisa offers.

 

"Sure."

 

---

 

"Jisoo's in love with my classmate!" Lisa announces as soon as they walk in the apartment.

 

"Shut up," Jisoo playfully pushes Lisa. "I'm not in love with Seulgi."

 

"Then why were you a blithering mess earlier? The poor girl even had to rub your back when you choked on a pepperoni!" She sits down on the couch beside Jennie and wraps her arm around the smaller girl's shoulder. "Where's Chaeyoung at?"

 

"On a date." Jennie replies. Her close proximity with Lisa makes her breath hitch slightly. "Can I see this Seulgi?"

 

"Check Jisoo's phone." Lisa smirks. "She already stalked her Instagram."

 

"She takes really nice photos." Jisoo mumbles as she sits down on Jennie's other side.

 

"Let me see." Jennie leans towards Jisoo to get away from Lisa but the latter followed suit and now their heads are huddled together, squinting at Jisoo's small phone screen.

 

"She does take good pictures." Jennie notes.

 

Jisoo scrolls down and accidentally presses 'like' on one of Seulgi's post.

 

"OH MY GOD!" Jisoo drops the phone and buries her head on one of the pillows on the couch.

 

"What did you do??" Jennie laughs as she and Lisa inspect how much damage Jisoo has done.

 

"Oof," Lisa says. "You liked her post from about a year ago."

 

"Just throw that phone out the window!" Jisoo wails underneath the pillow. "God, I'm so stupid."

 

Jennie's eyes widen. "Hey look!"

 

"Jisoo," Lisa slaps her friend's thigh repeatedly. "She DM'ed you!"

 

"She what?" Jisoo suddenly sits up.

 

"'Hey, Jisoo.'"Jennie reads the message. "'What are you doing up so late?' And then a smiley face."

 

"Message her back!" Lisa prompts. Jisoo slowly takes the phone from Jennie's hands.

 

"This . I can't believe I'll be the only single one left in the group." Jennie groans.

 

---

 

"Jisoo.." Jennie says cautiously.

 

"Hmm?" Jisoo doesn't look up from her phone.

 

Jennie walks over to where Jisoo is sitting and leans against the sofa, facing her. "You had a crush on Chaeyoung back when we were in high school, right?"

 

Jisoo puts down her phone and laughs. "Yeah. Big time. Why?"

 

"How did you get over it?" Jennie asks innocently.

 

"I don't know." Jisoo is deep in thought. "I don't think I did. Sometimes, whenever she sings randomly or smiles at me a certain way, my heart still skips a little."

 

"Really?" Jennie's eyes bulge.

 

"Yeah!" Jisoo shakes her head. "But then afterwards she immediately acts like a complete dork so I'm brought back down to earth."

 

"But what if," Jennie bites her lip. "Whenever she acted like a complete dork.. Somehow that made her more adorable?"

 

Jisoo just smiles. "We're not talking about Chaeyoung, are we?"

 

Jennie looks at her shyly.

 

"No, we're not."