ᴺᴱᵂ Man in the Black Coat

Of Green tea leaves and the waves of the Ocean

 

Boseong, Jeollanam-do

 

Yoongi was leaning on his car’s hood, hands in his pocket absentmindedly kicking the grass beneath his feet when he noticed Taehyung walking towards his direction.

“That portrait gives me the creep,” Taehyung said which made Yoongi laugh softly because the portrait indeed gives off a vibe he can’t pinpoint.

“What do you think?” Yoongi asks

“About?”

“The woman in that portrait,”

“I think she was very beautiful,” Taehyung replied, tightening the straps of his hoodie

They stayed silent for a few moments just watching the clouds and feeling the wind caress their cheeks softly

“You know,” Yoongi started, “They say Mr. Jeon killed her”

Taehyung stared up at his cousin in shock written all over his face as he tries to process what just came out of Yoongi’s mouth.

“I think otherwise, though” Yoongi then continued, voice lowered and an uneasy glance towards the mansion’s door.

“But he certainly drove her to her death one way or another, is that it?” Taehyung said almost in a whisper which made Yoongi hums in agreement.

“They were at each other’s throats, as far as I could tell. She used to yell at him and he’d yell back. Mr. Jeon has quite a temper on him,” He sighs

They both fell silent as Namjoon and Hoseok emerged from the mansion and locked the door behind them.

“Besides the painting, there’s not much to look at inside,” Namjoon said, joining them.

“I’ve seen enough,” said Taehyung.

“Don’t blame you. It’s haunted in there.” Hoseok said. “She was beautiful but that portrait gives me shivers down to my spine.” As if to prove his point, Hoseok shivers as he wraps his own arms around his body which made them chuckle at his silliness.

Yoongi then turned to Taehyung. “She looked like she was about to step out of the ing painting.” He laughed nervously. And to be really honest, Taehyung is amused seeing Yoongi this nervous over a painting when on a daily basis he’s this don’t-even-dare-breath-the-same-air-as-me-I’ll-kill-you type of person.

“I agree.” Namjoon joins in, “To the last years I’ve been here this is actually the first time I stared at that portrait for too long. I swear she was looking right at me.”

“Well, how about we go for a little bit of a snack?” Yoongi suggested.

“Oh! We could go to Butterfly Box” Namjoon exclaimed, earning a knowing look from Hoseok and Yoongi.

“Just say you wanted to see the owner and go,” said Hoseok as he teasingly shoved Namjoon’s shoulders.

The four of them climbed into their respective cars, with Taehyung taking the front seat of Yoongi’s. “It’s a shame no one’s living in that place now,” Taehyung mused as Yoongi drove beneath the latticed arch of burr oaks. “I wonder how grand it looked before? Must be very majestic”

“It was,” Yoongi agreed.

“Will they ever move back?”

“Doubtful,” Yoongi said as swerved lanes once they reached the highway. “Too many memories for Mr. Jeon, I guess.”

“You said they had a son,”

“Oh, little Jiminie, yes. The child is the cutest with his chubby and round features. He got the whole town wrap around his little fingers,” Yoongi said and chuckled. A fond look graces his face as he reminisces the times he saw the little kid with happiness radiating off of him. The kid was an embodiment of sunshine and rainbows.

“Poor child,” Taehyung murmured. “He lost his mother and their home.”

He gazed out at the landscape that was now bathed in sunlight. Greenfields stretched out to the left and right divided by low stone walls, crumbling in parts from neglect.

“Do you think you got some inspiration for your book?” Yoongi asked, raising his eyebrows, sight still fixed ahead.

“I’m not sure I’d want to go back to that place to do the research,” He replied.

 

 

The Butterfly Box was positioned on the main street, painted in soft blue and pink with the name carved in a wooden plaque. Yoongi parked his car in between Namjoon’s and Hoseok’s and they walked round together.

“Welcome to Butterfly Box!” a cheery voice said once they entered through the front door. The owner of the said voice was standing behind the counter, smiling widely at them. He’s wearing a white long sleeves top with a beige colored apron tied around his waist.

“Hyung,” Namjoon beamed and strides towards the counter, the three of them trailing behind.

Taehyung’s eyes twinkled with merry anticipation as he takes in his surroundings. The place was warm and cozy. The smell of freshly baked goods hits his nostrils at once and it made him inhale a lot deeper than necessary and then sighing in content.

“You usually come here during the afternoons,” The male on the counter said. “And who’s this new face?” He turns to Taehyung eyeing him.

“Seokjin hyung this is my cousin, Taehyung. Tae, this is a friend and owner of this bakery Seokjin Hyung.” Yoongi said as he ushers Taehyung to step a little forward.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you,” Taehyung utters nervously and extends his arms towards the male in which the latter accepted, beaming a smile into his direction. “Likewise,”

“So, what do you guys want?” Seokjin questioned.

“The usual for us,” Hoseok spoke and then turned to Taehyung. “How about you? Anything that fancy your taste?”

“I supposed I’d better have blueberry scones,” Taehyung said after scanning the list of pastries he could eat right behind the owner.

Namjoon was pleased. “Seokjin Hyung’s Blueberry scones are the best!”

“Please stop flattering me, Namjoon-ah,” Seokjin said and chuckled.

After Seokjin had placed a variety of baked goods and milkshakes on the counter, the four of them took the tray and sat at a table in the corner so that Taehyung had a clear view of the locals coming into the shop. He realized pretty swiftly that they had a clear view of him, too. Everyone who entered came straight up to talk to the three men with him as if they were hosting some sort of private party, but they never took their inquisitive eyes off him.

“Word has got out that Min Shinkyung’s other grandson is in town,” Hoseok whispered to Taehyung. “I’m afraid they’re all coming in to have a look at you, they’ve grown tired of seeing Yoongi Hyung, I guess.”

“If I had known, I would have made more of an effort with my appearance,” he replied, feeling painfully conspicuous.

“You’re more than a curiosity. After all, You’re Auntie Jaekyung’s son.”  Yoongi said as he drinks from his chocolate milkshake.

“Hyung, do you know the reason why hasn’t my mom spoken to her family for so long?” Taehyung questioned.

Yoongi shrugged. “You’ll have to ask halmeoni. Appa never talks about Auntie Jaekyung except for the fact that she’s known around the neighborhood for being grand and always in poised.” He took a bite of the cupcake that Hoseok placed in front of him, leaving a line of whipped cream on his upper lip. “I only knew of your existence when you called a few months prior.”

“That doesn’t surprise me at all. I asked halmeoni and she told me to ask my mother. But mom’s never spoken about it, ever. I thought she was the only child. I never knew she had a brother as well. I never knew I had a cousin on her side. It’s like none of you existed.”

Yoongi shook his head, twirling the paper straw in his fingers. “That must have broken halmeoni’s heart.”

Taehyung bit his lip, trying to think of a good enough reason for his mother to abandon her family. At that moment their attention was diverted by the door, which opened, giving way to a gust of wind and the presence of a man. He strode into the shop in a long black coat and a hat pulled low over his forehead. His eyes swept over the room, settling them on Taehyung like a tiger locking onto its target. Taehyung flinched. His eyes had a touch of madness in them.

“Who’s that?” He slowly asked Hoseok who was right beside him.

“That’s Donghyun ahjussi,” he replied, in a tone that suggested notoriety.

“And he’s coming over to meet you,” Namjoon said.

“Does he bite?” He glanced at his cousin, who began to munch on a pastry in front of him nervously.

Namjoon laughed. “No, he’s just off his nut. Hello, ahjussi!”

The man took the chair opposite Taehyung without waiting to be invited. He shrugged off his coat and sat down, greeting the guys as if he had seen them only minutes before.

“So, you’re Jaekyung’s son, are you?” he asked, gazing at him across the table.

“Yes, Taehyung, how do you do?”

He stared at him more intensely. “All wishes will come true…” he said in a whisper.

“I’m sorry?” Taehyung laughed nervously

“Are you joining us for a meal?” Namjoon interrupted, standing up as he looks towards the man. “I could put an order for you,”

“No, I’m fine,” Donghyun said, dismissing the polite offer from Namjoon which made the latter take his seat. “So, how do you like Boseong?” He asked.

“I haven’t seen much of it yet, but what I have seen is lovely.”

“Good.”

There followed an awkward pause. The fighting spirit with which he had entered was now snuffed out, leaving him strangely deflated. He gazed at Taehyung with troubled eyes, as if searching his features for the answer to some unspoken question.

“We’ve just been up to the Jeon Mansion, ahjussi.” Hoseok said, filling in the silence. “You should have seen how the portrait looks too real,”

Donghyun seemed relieved to have something to talk about, and his gaze softened on Taehyung’s face. “A portrait’s purpose is to relived people, no?”

“But ahjussi! I swear that portrait looks like it has a literal soul!” Hoseok said and gestured wildly with his hands before Namjoon pulled him down by the hem of his shirt and proceed to feed him a huge piece of strawberry shortcake.

Donghyun shook his head and grinned at Taehyung. As he did so, something in his face gave way and his character shone through, handsome, humorous, and bold. “And what about you, Taehyung, do you think that portrait indeed have a soul?”

Taehyung was surprised to find he liked the man, who was now grinning at him. “It’s the first time I’ve seen the portrait and it looks very much alive to me.”

“Hah! Told you so!” Hoseok said in between his bites, which made Yoongi look at him in disgust and throws a paper napkin at his face.

Taehyung turned to the man across him, hesitating for a moment if he should ask him about his mother or not. But after a deep breath, “Do you perhaps know anything about my mother?” He asked. Eyes directed towards the man that visibly stiffen by the mention of his mother. “I know nothing of her childhood,”

The table went silent save for the chattering of few people from the nearby table. Namjoon and Hoseok exchanged a glance, while Yoongi just relaxed on his spot because he really wanted to know something about his aunt whom he didn’t get to picture what she looked like. The wavering pupils of Donghyun’s eyes gave away that he, too is hiding a secret and for a second Taehyung felt relief because he’s not the only one hiding something.

“I don’t want to intrude or anything but we’re missing out on knowing all of you! I didn’t even know mom had a brother,” said Taehyung

“Do you have siblings, Taehyung?” Donghyun asked, rubbing his hands together nervously.

“One younger sister.”

He raised his eyebrows. “Really?”

“She’s married.”

“Is she now?”

Taehyung shrugged, “I’m the last to marry. If I marry at all.” He was about to add that his mother was doing all she could to marry him off, but he didn’t. Something inside warned him against giving too much away.

“You don’t want to be marrying too young,” said Yoongi. “Life is long.”

Donghyun stared at Taehyung across the table, saying nothing. The touch of madness in his eyes was now replaced by a solemn curiosity and he devoured Taehyung’s features as if he’d starved himself for years.

“So, what was my mother like as a girl?” Taehyung asked, steering the conversation away from marriage and wishing Donghyun wouldn’t look at him like that, because that’s borderline creepy, Jesus.

“Wild,” said Donghyun after a few moments. “She was headstrong. It was only a matter of time before she did something really stupid.” He then laughed as if remembering a very funny memory. “It’s a pity she run away,” He said and avoided the questioning stares of Taehyung. His funny demeanor didn’t last for it was replaced with sadness and longing?

“She…run away?” Taehyung questioned. “Just like that?”

“She met your father, fell in love, and was never ever seen again,” Donghyun said eyes downcast.

“But that doesn’t make sense,” Taehyung complained. “Did her family disapprove or something? People don’t run away for a reason.”

He looked at Donghyun but he avoided his gaze and mumbled. “Your mother wanted a different life, Taehyung. Perhaps that’s enough reason for her.”

The table went silent once again. Donghyun looking somewhere but Taehyung and the latter looking at his milkshake trying to make sense of why his mother had run away. Her family here was lovely and they’re well off! What kind of different life could she possibly want?

“So, did you come here looking for something?” Seokjin said noticing the awkward silence upon arriving at their table with four prettily made boxes of baked goods, decorated with purple ribbon with the shop’s name on the top.

My freedom would be the honest answer, Taehyung thought, but he looked up at Seokjin and replied with, “No, I came here by chance, actually. I never expected to stumble upon my long-lost family.” He dropped his gaze once again to his food. “I don’t suppose my mother ever expected me to want to find it.”

“So, she doesn’t know you’re here?” Seokjin asked as he placed the boxes on the table, taking the empty plates and calling for someone to serve them water. “Sometimes fate lends a hand when people grow stubborn.”

Taehyung frowned at him. “You think I’m meant to find my family?” He asked.

“That’s exactly what I mean.” He grinned and disappears to attend to a new customer.

“Well, there’s no such thing as coincidence, Tae. Everything always happens for a reason.” Said Namjoon.